• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD designing an x86 or ARM chip for a "game console" to be introduced 2016

How much would a new Nintendo handheld cost with a 720p screen and a GPU/CPU combo that would be more modern than say the Nvidia Shield? Right now, that device is the most powerful handheld gaming device on the market.

Oregano

Xeno 3D and MM3D means to me that Nintendo didn't learned their lesson...

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that? N3DS is a revision and even then in Japan itlaunched with Monster Hunter.

It also seems likely that Monster Hunter and Majora's Mask are being positioned around the launch of the New 3DS in the west too.

How much would a new Nintendo handheld cost with a 720p screen and a GPU/CPU combo that would be more modern than say the Nvidia Shield? Right now, that device is the most powerful handheld gaming device on the market.

That would probably be really cheap by 2016 but you've got to take into account that there's a good chance Nintendo has two screens in their next handheld and also a chance that one of those screens will be 3D.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
But Denver! Though you could argue whether that even is an ARM microarchitecture :p
/grumbles about typo-producing fifo overruns

Right. Back on topic.

The microarchitecture is, well, not the ISA : ) Apropos, there's currently one other VLIW-backend design, which morphs a frontend ISA to its mysterious native ISA: Elbrus 2C. I hope to get one of these in my mittens sometime next year.

4DS with more or less current ARM/AMD SoC will be amazing. Everytime i play games like 3D World on the Gamepad i think, yeah this is pretty much how 4DS game will look but with better Image Quality thanks to a smaller screen and maybe higher resolution than 480p.

Every handheld game in qHD - being playable/crossbuy in 1080p on the home console being released a year later would be a big deal. Right now its tough for Nintendo to compete with PSN, Steam and co. when it comes to selling 3rd Party content, because the benefits of buying or getting multiple Nintendo versions are not there. With every Retail, VC, Indie title playable on both though....gamers will be more interested investing in their eco system. Especially if the 4DS is the only handheld and the new Home console can bring something new to the table compared to the current system.

Lets hope they dont screw up the launches again like with 3DS/WiiU - but i think Iwata and co. have learned their lesson. New 3DS is there to buy them more time and have a strong handheld launch in 2016.

@bolded... I bet they haven't.

Vena

LOL

I'd love to see PS360 run a game at 2048x1536.

They can't... but the iPadAir2 can't run any of their games in any decent quality for any decent length of time or without melting, so what's your point?

Xeno 3D and MM3D means to me that Nintendo didn't learned their lesson...

They are ports. If anything, this is more an indication that they have learned their lesson because ports and "features" are what's pushing the N3DS not titles. Moreover, if they're going to make the 4DS very WiiU compatible, then they'll already have engines built that, given the GamePad performance, scale incredibly well in terms of IQ.

Oregano

I'm not sure they would keep the 3d, that gimmick kind of played itself out.

Well the New 3DS kind of perfect it and that means there is two options:

1)They stick with 3D because it works the way they always intended

Or

2)They drop the 3D because the new platform isn't about 3D and if you want 3D the New 3DS is still an option.

I kind of think they won't have 3D because the performance trade off makes cross platform development harder.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Well the New 3DS kind of perfect it and that means there is two options:

1)They stick with 3D because it works the way they always intended

Or

2)They drop the 3D because the new platform isn't about 3D and if you want 3D the New 3DS is still an option.

I kind of think they won't have 3D because the performance trade off makes cross platform development harder.

Sticking with 3D will allow the console counterparts to certain games to look that much better though, while still having a real incentive for users to pick up the portable.

Nikodemos

I'm not sure they would keep the 3d, that gimmick kind of played itself out.

They seem to have succeeded in fixing some of the flaws, so I wouldn't bet on 3D going away. With the recent push towards VR they could try presenting their next incarnation of 3D as a cheaper alternative.

LordOfChaos

/grumbles about typo-producing fifo overruns

Right. Back on topic.

The microarchitecture is, well, not the ISA : ) Apropos, there's currently one other VLIW-backend design, which morphs a frontend ISA to its mysterious native ISA: Elbrus 2C. I hope to get one of these in my mittens sometime next year.

Incidentally Denver did end up showing what you and I talked about and predicted a while ago, fantastic performance in a straight line so to speak, such as set benchmarks, but its performance is far more variable than the A8X, most likely due to the code morphing engine choking up on spaghetti code.

Also, that EA guy saying the iPhone 6 is near the 8th gen...All of my wat. Look at this, this is what's in the A8X, not even the A8 in the iPhone 6. I'd say they've closed in on and in some ways (feature set, not brute performance) surpassed the 7th gen HD twins, but the 8th gen is still a while off.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Imagination-PowerVR-GXA6850.128993.0.html

Around the 200Gflop ballpark is just where the PS360 are sitting. Granted the GPU in the A8X in the Air 2 has to share its hypothetical 25GB/s bandwidth with the CPU, so it may be behind them there still, though the L3/graphics cache will help.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8666/the-apple-ipad-air-2-review/2

And I only mention Gflops for a ballpark, I know performance with any such rating can be quite variable, but you'll also never see, say, a 200Gflop GPU outperforming a 1800 one.

Top Bottom