• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD designing an x86 or ARM chip for a "game console" to be introduced 2016

McHuj

Mobile phones, not yet.

IPad Air 2 is probably on par as the last gen consoles, about nine years after they were released.

Due to diminishing improvements with silicon scaling, I doubt mobile ( phone or tablet) will be able to meet the overall performance of a ps4 in the next 8 years or so.

LeleSocho

Banned
Out of interest how close are mobile phones to PS3/360 levels nowadays?

I know there was the neutered Bioshock port but what's the best looking mobile game?

Mevius: Final Fantasy looks like it could pass as a somewhat rough around the edges PS3/360 game and it's an AAA developer(Internal Square Enix) is that a good representation of what highend mobile games look like?

Depends on how you want to see it.
Hardware wise we are there, the iPad Air2 if wanted could push graphics almost unrecognizable from PS360, but... you won't see games that look that good for several years because those chips have to count for a lot of other things over than running games.

Vena

Hardware wise we are there, the iPad Air2 if wanted could push graphics almost unrecognizable from PS360, but... you won't see games that look that good for several years because those chips have to count for a lot of other things over than running games.

Well that and the iPad Air2 would have a ten minute battery life and catch fire when trying to actually push PS360 graphics.

StevieP

Banned
Really only the CPU is shit, but devs who know what they're doing can use the GPUs compute to their advantage.

GPU compute isnt anywhere near the end all be all and has limited applications (it isn't just a matter of "devs who know what they're doing", in other words)

An apple console sounds terrible. Ughh. It would look sleek though.
It'll be white though.
White electronics......
44330-Eww-gif-KTAy.gif

eww.

Oregano

I don't think they're that close yet.. but the stacked memory should change that rather rapidly.

Hmm considering how the 3DS compares to the Wii I would assume Nintendo would want to go for a full gen leap and get as close to Wii U as possible(in order to reuse engines/assets and even port games over) but that makes it seem somewhat unlikely.

The 4DS will have the "benefit" of a lower resolution screen presumably but a Wii U-esque handheld would still be quite high end in 2016 right?

chithanh

Banned

Vena

Hmm considering how the 3DS compares to the Wii I would assume Nintendo would want to go for a full gen leap and get as close to Wii U as possible(in order to reuse engines/assets and even port games over) but that makes it seem somewhat unlikely.

The 4DS will have the "benefit" of a lower resolution screen presumably but a Wii U-esque handheld would still be quite high end in 2016 right?

They can get the CPU jump, they need to get the GPU up as well while also having a lasting batter. It'll be hard to balance and AMD will have to work some magic, but I don't think its impossible for them to approach ~GamePad~ quality ala WiiU API dev tools.

sfried

I don't think Nintendo can lowball tech anymore like they did in the last few consoles and handhelds. The world has changed, consumer tech has got really bleeding edge and the expectations have grown. The silver lining for Nintendo is that it has brought cost down, too.
People said the same thing about 3DS...

Well actually, wasn't 3DS the first Nintendo console with programable vertex shaders? (Although some of the more common texture effects are fixed function)
Genuine guess. Xbox One Slim.

I'm quoting you on this. Because everyone's assuming AMD will be the definitive supplier of Nintendo's next handheld...

I think one of the chips is most likely for Nintendo's next console. Not sure about the other one.
And I believe that if it is indeed for Nintendo, then that 2016 release is probably the announcement date (E3 or Nintendo Direct/ Digital Event) rather than the actually launch.

What do you think the Ax series of chips are? They're a SOC Apple designs.

Except where that's completely wrong. Apple has their own naming scheme which is based off the original ARM coding for core designs. The difference is you'll have something like the Apple A8 instead of the ARM Cortex-A53/57. It wasn't until the iPhone 4 that Apple even gave their customized designs the Ax name, and it started with the A4 (which was a Cortex-A8 core).

Apple licenses designs just like everyone else then has a small team rework and optimize the generic design just like everyone else. The major difference is that they don't just use stock designs--one of the massive improvements Apple has always done is having advanced memory controllers built on die, which greatly improved memory performance.

Guess Who

Banned
Except where that's completely wrong. Apple has their own naming scheme which is based off the original ARM coding for core designs. The difference is you'll have something like the Apple A8 instead of the ARM Cortex-A53/57. It wasn't until the iPhone 4 that Apple even gave their customized designs the Ax name, and it started with the A4 (which was a Cortex-A8 core).

Apple licenses designs just like everyone else then has a small team rework and optimize the generic design just like everyone else. The major difference is that they don't just use stock designs--one of the massive improvements Apple has always done is having advanced memory controllers built on die, which greatly improved memory performance.

Not true. A4 and A5 were licensed core designs (Cortex-A8 and A9 based, respectively), but A6 and newer all use totally custom core designs, only the ARM instruction set is licensed. AnandTech wrote in depth about this back in their iPhone 5 review.

Not true. A4 and A5 were licensed core designs (Cortex-A8 and A9 based, respectively), but A6 and newer all use totally custom core designs, only the ARM instruction set is licensed. AnandTech wrote in depth about this back in their iPhone 5 review.

I am pretty sure the major difference is stated at the end;

Chipworks was first to point out that Apple's custom CPU cores appeared to be largely laid out by hand vs. using automated tools. Not using automated layout for all parts of a CPU isn't unusual (Intel does it all the time), but it is unusual to see in an ARM based mobile SoC.

They probably worked out inefficiencies and corrected them rather than designing a whole architecture from the ground up (which would have taken years, not the monthes it took them to retool a pre-existing Cortex A-15). According to the Wiki page for the Apple A6;

The Swift core in the A6 uses a new tweaked instruction set, ARMv7s, featuring some elements of the ARM Cortex-A15 such as support for the Advanced SIMD v2, and VFPv4.

Guess Who

Banned
I am pretty sure the major difference is stated at the end;

They probably worked out inefficiencies and corrected them rather than designing a whole architecture from the ground up (which would have taken years, not the monthes it took them to retool a pre-existing Cortex A-15). According to the Wiki page for the Apple A6;

Cortex A15s weren't even shipping when the A6 came out and the core design is pretty substantially different in pretty major ways. I could also point to the A7, which was the first shipping ARM64 phone SoC by nearly a year with no comparable core for it to have been based off of.

Cortex A15s weren't even shipping when the A6 came out and the core design is pretty substantially different in pretty major ways. I could also point to the A7, which was the first shipping ARM64 phone SoC by nearly a year with no comparable core for it to have been based off of.

My main argument was originally with his claiming the Ax naming method was uniquely and originally Apple. The A15s had been detailed and were in the works when Apple was designing the A6, they were just the first to market with the A6. I'm not claiming it's identical, but it had a lot of similar features and design elements. The A7 and on I'm not sure about but I imagine they have changed things up a lot over time and now are essentially wholely designing their own chips. My original issue was with the naming claim.

Guess Who

Banned
My main argument was originally with his claiming the Ax naming method was uniquely and originally Apple.

I don't think he was claiming that at all... ? I can see where this argument's going from here and it's all based on some misconceptions about processor naming and misunderstandings of the original post that are really not worth even arguing about.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Apple doesnt design GPUs or SOCs... not to my knowledge.
You should update your knowledge. Apple have been designing SOCs for a few generations now. And the CPUs in those SOCs vary from 'customized designs' to 'unique implementations of the ISA'. Apple hold an architecture license for a perfectly good reason.

Apple licenses designs just like everyone else then has a small team rework and optimize the generic design just like everyone else.
Who's 'everyone else' - the processor licensees or the architecture licensees? If you're referring to the latter then yes - Apple do as the other architecture licensees - they design their own ARM cores.

The major difference is that they don't just use stock designs--one of the massive improvements Apple has always done is having advanced memory controllers built on die, which greatly improved memory performance.
You're way off. Back in the day before Apple bought Intrinsity Apple and Samsung were jointly customizing ARM designs (e.g. the cache subsystem). Today Apple have the most performant ARMv8-compliant microarchitecture (which once again might be produced by Samsung next year). Apple definitely don't optimize generic designs today.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
4DS with more or less current ARM/AMD SoC will be amazing. Everytime i play games like 3D World on the Gamepad i think, yeah this is pretty much how 4DS game will look but with better Image Quality thanks to a smaller screen and maybe higher resolution than 480p.

Every handheld game in qHD - being playable/crossbuy in 1080p on the home console being released a year later would be a big deal. Right now its tough for Nintendo to compete with PSN, Steam and co. when it comes to selling 3rd Party content, because the benefits of buying or getting multiple Nintendo versions are not there. With every Retail, VC, Indie title playable on both though....gamers will be more interested investing in their eco system. Especially if the 4DS is the only handheld and the new Home console can bring something new to the table compared to the current system.

Lets hope they dont screw up the launches again like with 3DS/WiiU - but i think Iwata and co. have learned their lesson. New 3DS is there to buy them more time and have a strong handheld launch in 2016.

Raistlin

My main argument was originally with his claiming the Ax naming method was uniquely and originally Apple. The A15s had been detailed and were in the works when Apple was designing the A6, they were just the first to market with the A6. I'm not claiming it's identical, but it had a lot of similar features and design elements. The A7 and on I'm not sure about but I imagine they have changed things up a lot over time and now are essentially wholely designing their own chips. My original issue was with the naming claim.
I think we're arguing about totally different things here. I'm not sure what type of naming claim you are referring to? Regardless, my argument (what I was responding to) was about whether the Apple Ax series is an SoC ... which it is ... and whether they design it ... which they
have been.

White electronics are beautiful. I can't stand black ones.

I like white and all light colours, like pastel. It's sad that it seems like I can never find things in white and pastel. I buy lots of computer cases just because they're white or light. I like the designs of the Noctua coolers, too. I think they look pretty in cream and light brown.

Unfortunately, most of the time, I have to buy black electronics. Because most people only seem to make them in black...

fred

If we go off of Nintendo's 5 year schedule, the Wii U released 2 years ago. An announcement in 2016 with a release in 2017 would make it five years exactly.

More likely to be the next handheld console. Announced at E3 2015 and released November/December 2016. Am expecting the Wii 3 to be announced at E3 2016 and released in November/December 2017.

Hopefully they're going to call it the 4DS cos it allows you to manipulate the Space/Time Continuum...I'm starting to feel old and could do with being a few years younger lololol

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Apple's continuous lowballing of RAM seems pretty bizzarre to me. Though I guess it helps them maintain certain controls/limitations on app developers.

Anyway, I don't believe Nintendo to be as stingy with it.

Apple's choice with the iPhone 6+ and iOS 8 of sticking with 1 GB of RAM is upsetting from an user point of view. The OS is always killing applications left and right, Safari Mobile keeps a super small amount of tabs loaded in memory... so fun for the Tube... Constantly reloads tabs you already loaded in full once you switch between them.

Hmm. If I had to make a bet, I'd say it's Samsung. I don't know what they'd want to do in the gaming space, but they seem to be interested in it (partnering with Occulus, controllers for phones).

4DS with more or less current ARM/AMD SoC will be amazing. Everytime i play games like 3D World on the Gamepad i think, yeah this is pretty much how 4DS game will look but with better Image Quality thanks to a smaller screen and maybe higher resolution than 480p.

Every handheld game in qHD - being playable/crossbuy in 1080p on the home console being released a year later would be a big deal. Right now its tough for Nintendo to compete with PSN, Steam and co. when it comes to selling 3rd Party content, because the benefits of buying or getting multiple Nintendo versions are not there. With every Retail, VC, Indie title playable on both though....gamers will be more interested investing in their eco system. Especially if the 4DS is the only handheld and the new Home console can bring something new to the table compared to the current system.

Lets hope they dont screw up the launches again like with 3DS/WiiU - but i think Iwata and co. have learned their lesson. New 3DS is there to buy them more time and have a strong handheld launch in 2016.

Xeno 3D and MM3D means to me that Nintendo didn't learned their lesson...

I'm still not sure I follow. I thought Steamboxen were Linux. Are they not "high end"? Do they just mean it'll be a custom, in-house system, like we'd get from Sony, Nintendo, or Apple? Like, an actual console, with its own operating system and everything? Actually, then would an Apple console even fit the definition of "high end," since it would likely "merely" run iOS or OSX?

I guess I just don't understand what, "Not Linux; something high end" means. What will it be instead, specifically? Even the PS4 runs *NIX. =/
How is Linux high end and iOS and OS X not?

Top Bottom