• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Vega Features Leaked

Maniac

Banned
I have a GSync monitor so I'm team Green for the time being but I would loooooove for AMD to start competing with Nvidia at the high end again, and then when it comes time for a new monitor I can maybe get one of the higher end FreeSync offerings and avoid that GSync tax

Passively cooled 300 watt card has my curiosity for sure.

Hardly a tax when it's a real... Piece of kit, is it? And especially when it's better. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Celcius

°Temp. member
Sounds beastly and like it also puts out some serious heat. I have no problems switching over to AMD if the card is better / comparative and costs less.

Yeah those are the insane enterprise grade graphics accelerators, not the consumer/enthusiast cards.

Consumer cards should have GDDR5/GDDR5X as well as HBM2 offerings.

Those accelerators are meant to power graphics engines and whatnot where insane performance is key. But it still gives us insight on what to expect.

thelastword

Banned
How can you cool something that devours 300w passively?
Less than 300W, obviously that metric is indicative of the highest load possible.

Also as a comparison, the 1080Ti is rumoured to be using a maximum of 300W, however Vega is rumoured to be using less then 300W, So we shall see how it pans out.

By the way, if Project Scorpio does use Vega, it'll be Vega 11 not Vega 10.

Vega 10 will be the most powerful cards that hit the highest TFLOP performance and draw the most power. Just like Polaris 10 is used in the most powerful RX 400 (the 480) series GPU.

Vega 11 will also likely use GDDR5/X VRAM instead of HBM2 to reduce costs.

Scorpio with Vega 10 an HBM2 would skyrocket costs to like $1200 and it'd need to basically be a PC to operate.

Sure they could scale everything, but don't count on Scorpio meeting these specs at all--microsoft has already confirmed 6TFLOp, which is actually closer to Polaris 10 Ellesmere than Vega.

Vega sounds awesome.

Isn't it expected that Project Scorpio will use a Vega GPU of some sort, and if it does, it would have these new features (except for HBM2) like the new pixel engine, etc.

Obviously if Scorpio has a Vega GPU, it would have quite a few CUs disabled and clocked pretty low, given that it only gets 6 TFlops FP32 / single precision and not 12+ TF like the higher end PC cards.

more scorpoi wishful thinking. It is going to be polaris.

If it won't use Vega, and zen is also out of the table, why wait until 2017?

It's not like Polaris will be cooler at the years end, given the performance and the power envolpe they want, I don't see other option but use a new more efficient architecture.
That's what it is
Now that you remind me of it I agree that might very well be, but what makes you so sure? (I haven't followed the link, just what was posted here)

Seronei

It's not like Polaris will be cooler at the years end, given the performance and the power envolpe they want, I don't see other option but use a new more efficient architecture.

There's a Polaris 10 XT2(Same codename as 7900-series GHZ edition) that has been spotted in Linux patches. The improvements could come from improved process from GlobalFoundries rather than changes to the actual architecture.

But I agree, Polaris 10 would have to be clocked higher than retail chips atm for it to reach 6tflop. Sounds unlikely, but I don't think it's entirely impossible.

AmyS

I don't think so, because a Polaris 10 in Scorpio would not only have to be the full 40 CU GPU (36 CUs are active in RX480 and PS4 Pro) but also highly overclocked to reach 6TF, and thus not be able to run cool in a console environment.

Eurogamer agrees, a larger but downclocked Vega chip, perhaps with with some of its 64 CUs deactivated, is the more likely approach.

First up, let's discuss the GPU - the area of the spec that Microsoft is clearly most proud of. The rumoured six TFLOPs of processing power is confirmed, out-stripping the 4.2TF found in PlayStation Neo by quite some margin. It's around 40 per cent faster, calling to mind the advantage PS4 had over Xbox One.

We know how Sony has achieved its performance target - it is almost certainly utilising the AMD Polaris 10 graphics core, using 36 next-gen GCN compute units clocked at 911MHz. Essentially, it is a downclocked version of the Radeon RX 480 graphics card - AMD's upcoming $199 next-gen GPU, aimed squarely at the mainstream gamer while also offering good, entry-level VR capabilities. We can be fairly sure that this GPU is a cut-down version of a yet-to-be-seen product, quite possibly one with 40 compute units. By leaving a portion of the CUs deactivated, imperfect chips can be used from the production line - it's a tactic used on both PS4 and Xbox One, both of which have two offline CUs on the silicon.

However, based on the differential in spec between Neo and Scorpio, it's unlikely that the new Microsoft console uses Polaris at all. A 40 CU part would need a mighty overclock to hit 6TF, and based on the rendered imagery we've seen, the heating assembly planned for Scorpio looks a little lacklustre. With that in mind, our money is on a downclocked version of AMD's upcoming Vega technology.

Thanks to an AMD engineer rather unwisely posting a partial spec for Vega on his LinkedIn profile (!) we know that the fully enabled processor features 64 compute units. Assuming that this is cut down to 56 CUs (as in the Radeon R9 Fury, a pared back version of the 64 CU Fury X), a clock speed in the 830-850MHz region looks likely. Alternatively, and perhaps more likely, we could be seeing 60 CUs at 800MHz. Both represent a substantial increase over PlayStation 4K Neo, while the raw increase to performance over PS4 and Xbox One is obviously much larger.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-xbox-one-project-scorpio-spec-analysis

Locuza

I don't think so, because a Polaris 10 in Scorpio would not only have to be the full 40 CU GPU (36 CUs are active in RX480 and PS4 Pro) but also highly overclocked to reach 6TF, and thus not be able to run cool in a console environment.

Eurogamer agrees, a larger but downclocked Vega chip, perhaps with with some of its 64 CUs deactivated, is the more likely approach.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-xbox-one-project-scorpio-spec-analysis
We have die shots of P10 since quite some time, there aren't more than 36 CUs:
http://www.hardwareluxx.de/images/stories/newsbilder/aschilling/2016/polaris-10-die-shot-1.jpg

And since always it doesn't matter what CU count the AMD GPUs have, console chips are unique ASIC designs and can have any kind of configuration.

DieH@rd

Banned
AMD sure are funny - http://videocardz.com/65301/amd-announces-freesync-2

�� �� �� �� ��

Amazed they couldn't think of a better name.

Da fuq? That naming makes no sense. They should have stuck with something like ~Radeon HDR.

edit- after looking at the slide, it looks like they are introducing Freesync WHILE hdr rendering is active. Their implementation reduces the lag by reducing "display tone mapping" wait time. So the tech is connected to the display refresh timing after all. :D

tuxfool

Banned
edit- after looking at the slide, it looks like they are introducing Freesync WHILE hdr rendering is active. Their implementation reduces the lag by reducing "display tone mapping" wait time. So the tech is connected to the display refresh timing after all. :D

Yup. But still... those fucking graphs.

PFD

I have a GSync monitor so I'm team Green for the time being but I would loooooove for AMD to start competing with Nvidia at the high end again, and then when it comes time for a new monitor I can maybe get one of the higher end FreeSync offerings and avoid that GSync tax

Passively cooled 300 watt card has my curiosity for sure.

I was ready to drop 1.5K dollars on an Ultrawide G-Sync monitor, but now I'm not sure anymore

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
So what we expected. HBM introduction into the mainline. Congratulations

McHuj

I find the mention of a high bandwidth cache interesting.

Perhaps we're going to get a HBM and GDDR design where the HBM acts as the cache.

Just odd that it's a bullet point as all GPU onchip caches are high bandwidth.

Locuza

Well they just renamed Zen to Ryzen in their CPU event which sounds worst. I can't wait to see the new name for Vega in the preview event.
They actually didn't renamed Zen to Ryzen.
Zen is the name of the architecture and Ryzen the marketing term for the products like Radeon.
Vega is again the codename for the architecture and will not be changed.

Well they just renamed Zen to Ryzen in their CPU event which sounds worst. I can't wait to see the new name for Vega in the preview event.

Unfortunately it seems that Invega is already taken.

logo.png

Renekton

AMD sure are funny - http://videocardz.com/65301/amd-announces-freesync-2

😁 😁 😁 😁 😁

Amazed they couldn't think of a better name.
IINM that's because HDR is not trivial to implement on adaptive sync (latency is one problem), so requires improvements to Freesync.

I think because Zen name is owned by Asus.

onQ123

If Scorpio is Vega I'm more than likely right about what I said before that pissed everyone off so you might want to hope for Polaris or Fiji

If Scorpio is Vega I'm more than likely right about what I said before that pissed everyone off so you might want to hope for Polaris or Fiji

it's going to be Vega 100%. You're not seeing Fiji in there because no matter how powerful it ends up being, it won't have Vega's architectural advantages and features. Microsoft isn't going to wait a whole year just to get Polaris or Fiji. That just isn't going to happen.

Microsoft made the move they did to get AMD's latest, in both the CPU and GPU department. They won't have the most powerful existing implementations of those two chips, but they will almost certainly have them in some form in Scorpio. Who in god's name would be wishing for Polaris or Fiji to be inside Scorpio with Vega out there? What a cut down Vega would lack in the power department, it would likely more than makeup for in the features and efficiency department.

You seriously want Microsoft to make the stupidest move possible, don't you? :p

half joking

onQ123

it's going to be Vega 100%. You're not seeing Fiji in there because no matter how powerful it ends up being, it won't have Vega's architectural advantages and features. Microsoft isn't going to wait a whole year just to get Polaris or Fiji. That just isn't going to happen.

Microsoft made the move they did to get AMD's latest, in both the CPU and GPU department. They won't have the most powerful existing implementations of those two chips, but they will almost certainly have them in some form in Scorpio. Who in god's name would be wishing for Polaris or Fiji to be inside Scorpio with Vega out there? What a cut down Vega would lack in the power department, it would likely more than makeup for in the features and efficiency department.

You seriously want Microsoft to make the stupidest move possible, don't you? :p

half joking

If Scorpio is Vega it's peak throughput is the FP16 number unless all the Vega chips don't feature double rate fp16 so I would be wary of that 6TF information without context.

That's all I'm saying

hi-res-c01c6205584191d2c81a399fe63161a6_crop_north.jpg

Would you rather have Polaris 6TF peak performance or Vega 6TF peak performance?

If Scorpio is Vega it's peak throughput is the FP16 number unless all the Vega chips don't feature double rate fp16 so I would be wary of that 6TF information without context.

That's all I'm saying

Would you rather have Polaris 6TF peak performance or Vega 6TF peak performance?

You have an interesting theory, if it comes to fruition.

fBZ1ma0.gif

I don't think that would happen though, because that would be ridiculous to say the least, jheez.

They're probably going by the FP32 computation capabilities.

That's all I'm saying

That's way reaching. No way the peak throughput would be the fp 16 number, cut it out lol. Whenever they advertise teraflops, they're always talking about the single precision.

Vega 6TF peak performance is always going to be better because it will have superior architecture and features. So 6TF Vega will certainly outperform a 6TF polaris.

Irobot82

Is it safe to assume "Draw Stream Binning Rasterizer" is Tiled Rasterizer or a derivative of that? That was one of the key things that gave Maxwell it's huge bump.

ViciousDS

Banned
I'm interested in the MI8.

Yup yup yup

Small form factor are the only cards I buy now!!! Love my zotac 1060 mini to death......think is an awesome card. Would love to see a powerful small form from AMD and not have to wait 4 months for a non reference card to be made

AmyS

Yeah, I agree. I mean even the PS4 Pro GPU, while largely based on Polaris, is using some features beyond Polaris (Mark Cerny said). So Polaris GPUs for PC cards were new as of mid 2016, and PS4 Pro launched just months later. Why would Microsoft & AMD not do something similar for 2017 with Vega architecture in Scorpio? There's little chance their not, or as you put it, 100% it's going to be Vega.

Just because Scorpio is almost certainly going to be Vega does not mean it has to be equivalent to Vega 10 with HBM2. We're looking at 320+ GB/sec which could be handled fine with a 384-bit bus connected to 12GB GDDR5.

Nachtmaer

I find the mention of a high bandwidth cache interesting.

Perhaps we're going to get a HBM and GDDR design where the HBM acts as the cache.

Just odd that it's a bullet point as all GPU onchip caches are high bandwidth.

Probably has something to do with their professional line-up where they bolt SSDs onto their GPUs. They did the same thing with Fiji that got a 1TB SSD.

Top Bottom