• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Vega Features Leaked

tuxfool

Banned
Related to this picture is this patent application:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20160085551.pdf

It would seem to confirm that the image above is legitimate. The text does seem to support the ability to irregular wavefront sizes other than 64.

Notably the patent application is about "Heterogeneous Function Unit Dispatch in a GPU"

Unless I'm mistaken it seems to suggest that a GPU could be equipped with SIMD execution units of varying widths, hence the heterogeneous. How that is affected in a practical implementation remains to be seen.

Locuza

[...]
Unless I'm mistaken it seems to suggest that a GPU could be equipped with SIMD execution units of varying widths, hence the heterogeneous. How that is affected in a practical implementation remains to be seen.
The implementation in Vega could be quite different in comparison to the patent figures.
AMD might implement it in a similiar way how Intel does it, one physical SIMD-width so everything is symmetric but able to schedule different Wavefront/Warp-Sizes.

Soon we know the answer *happy*

When is the official reveal? They doing ryzen + vega at the same time?
It's a architecture preview in 12 hours:
http://ve.ga/

So nobody should expect product details but a technical overview about the new Vega architecture.

In relation to Ryzen there will be Mainboard news, maybe Ryzen product details and specs, maybe a launch date?
I don't know if AMD wants to show off something major in regards to Ryzen.

tuxfool

Banned
The implementation in Vega could be quite different in comparison to the patent figures.
AMD might implement it in a similiar way how Intel does it, one physical SIMD-width so everything is symmetric but able to schedule different Wavefront/Warp-Sizes.

Soon we know the answer *happy*

It's a architecture preview in 12 hours:
http://ve.ga/

So nobody should expect product details but a technical overview about the new Vega architecture.

In relation to Ryzen there will be Mainboard news, maybe Ryzen product details and specs, maybe a launch date?
I don't know if AMD wants to show off something major in regards to Ryzen.

If the SIMD execution units are heterogeneous it might solve their occupancy issues along with an appropriately powerful scheduler.

Also they're showing a 4K Ultra Ryzen+Vega demo on battlefront:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkvj-uij42M

It is limited to mostly 60hz but has dips to 57 fps. That puts it around 10fps faster than a gtx1080, assuming these numbers hold.

tuxfool

Banned
settings for battlefront were ultra + fxaa 50% mblur

So I presume similar settings to this? I can''t find the accompanying article, but I do know that these results are from Endor like the video.

7tkciFp.jpg

Locuza

Is this still GCN or is it an entirely new architecture?
Personally I'm not a fan of the extreme vague description of "new architecture".
The endresults are the only things which really matter in the end.

But currently it looks like AMD changed quite a lot with Vega.
They might still name it GCN (Gen 5).

If the SIMD execution units are heterogeneous it might solve their occupancy issues along with an appropriately powerful scheduler.
[...]
It may also make the schedulers and register-file quite complex and hurt power and area efficiency.
I'm more in for a symmetrical arrangement.

Also they're showing a 4K Ultra Ryzen+Vega demo on battlefront:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkvj-uij42M

It is limited to mostly 60hz but has dips to 57 fps. That puts it around 10fps faster than a gtx1080, assuming these numbers hold.

So I presume similar settings to this? I can''t find the accompanying article, but I do know that these results are from Endor like the video.

yes ultra settings + fxaa everything else default

"AMD, Ryzen + Vega PC with 4K resolution game demo"
http://www.4gamer.net/games/300/G030061/20170104006/

Google Translate said:
Although the configuration of the demo PC and the detailed specifications were not taught, the Star Wars Battlefront which was running had the screen resolution of 3840 × 2160 dots, the refresh rate of 60 fps, the shadows and effects, all the quality settings of the mesh are " Ultra ", which is a pretty high load setting. Nonetheless, the frame rate display during play was at the level of "almost 60 fps, sometimes it can fall as low as 57 fps".
Google Translate said:
Since it is an operation on the demonstration PC to the last, this alone does not infer the performance of Ryzen or Vega. However, AMD's confidence in both products will also be felt from around when I showed the ability to maintain 4Hz resolution games with the highest class graphics settings and maintain nearly 60Hz. I am looking forward to seeing what performance version Ryzen and Vega will demonstrate.

004vpsby.jpg

005mms9j.jpg

Ionic

Very nice to see good numbers out of this combo. It would be exciting to go to an all AMD build for the first time. I wanna see somebody crank the FOV in the CES demo up to a respectable number just to make sure it's still pretty solid.

tuxfool

Banned
Very nice to see good numbers out of this combo. It would be exciting to go to an all AMD build for the first time. I wanna see somebody crank the FOV in the CES demo up to a respectable number just to make sure it's still pretty solid.

The FOV is scaled based on the vertical number. Horizontal FOV is is 85.

GodVegeta

Neo Member
So you say its a good thing i waited to buy a new pc + monitor ?:D

I want to believe in 4k 144Hz i need to believe ! time to save up some money for my new rig

Erm 57-60FPS 4K Ultra is a lot higher than GTX 1080.

I'm sure the 8GB HBM2 Vega card is faster than the 1080 in this game. The question is whether it is a 1080 Ti rival or not. People forget that the Fury X in certain games is already close to the 1070 so if they can't make something a lot faster than that then that would shock everybody.

AtlAntA

I'm sure the 8GB HBM2 Vega card is faster than the 1080 in this game. The question is whether it is a 1080 Ti rival or not. People forget that the Fury X in certain games is already close to the 1070 so if they can't make something a lot faster than that then that would shock everybody.

I really hope they do make a real high end Nvidia competitor.

Would be pretty devastating if Nvidia somehow manage to release a 1080 Ti before any of the Vega cards. Could happen.

Yea, it could. Hopefully AMD announces pricing. Could force Nvidia to come in lower than they wanted to and lower the price of their entire lineup which is only good for consumers.

scoobs

Yea, it could. Hopefully AMD announces pricing. Could force Nvidia to come in lower than they wanted to and lower the price of their entire lineup which is only good for consumers.
Nvidia has priced the Ti cards aggressively in the past, im positive they'll do it again as soon as Vega pricing starts leaking out

tuxfool

Banned

It is doubtful. This presentation is about the Vega architecture, it would suggest that they don't want to overplay their hand just yet, seeing as they talk about it being a preview.

Top Bottom