• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American rejected for job teaching English in South Korea because he's black

Status
Not open for further replies.

Estellex

I have also heard that Asian westerners are also being discriminated against when trying to find jobs teaching English in South Korea. Something about White people seen as more legit teachers.

Not sure if they have it as bad as African-Westerners though.

JDSN

Banned
Can we put the totality of the blame on south koreans? Because this seems like a side effect of the treatment they get on America.

There is a very severe thunder storm in south east KC atm, one which SEEMS to have produced some tornadoes, I am tempted to drive down there to get some pics, but I like life so i'll just watch on TV

Stay safe KC GAF.

RACE WARSS!

Shauni

10603313_10152687337106663_3331959652868163920_n.jpg

Well, you know, to be fair, there are some pretty white Africans.

Shauni

There is a very severe thunder storm in south east KC atm, one which SEEMS to have produced some tornadoes, I am tempted to drive down there to get some pics, but I like life so i'll just watch on TV

Stay safe KC GAF.

Like, a racial tornado? Metaphoric?

Droplet

Yeah I thought it was always well known that black English teachers face a significant uphill battle getting a teaching gig in lots of asian countries.

I imagine it's fairly difficult for anyone who isn't white, as that is the Western ideal.

Ashhong

Stay safe KC GAF.

Yo, who's going to warn the Koreans?

ICKE

Banned
This happens all over East Asia. Using China for example, they don't even trust darker skin Chinese a lot of the time and make fun of people with darker skin.

My roommate in Shanghai constantly complained how he was discriminated, because he was from Africa. A lot of it has to do with Asian culture, how there is this notion that white skin is superior and a sign of higher status in society. People also have harsh opinions and preconceptions on top of that. Many young Chinese people mentioned to me repeatedly how "black people only steal and are bestial" or some such. It is just a fact that racism is going nowhere.

entremet

Can we put the totality of the blame on south koreans? Because this seems like a side effect of the treatment they get on America.

RACE WARSS!
East Asians are also pretty racist against pacific rim Asians as well, who tend to have darker complexions.

Welcome to Asia. I'm proud to say that at least the cram school I work for in Japan has employees from Africa, South East Asia and places other than US and UK (obviously minorities from those countries are also considered equally). I've heard stories like this before though.

Maybe their own media?

No, clearly another country's racism is now also America's fault. It's not even a media thing, old asian people have held these views far before their countries even had mass electronic media.

Also, yeah anyone who knows about SE Asian culture in terms of how they generally view black people will not be surprised by this.

Jaffaboy

Honestly the bit about not hiring an Irish person because of perceived drinking habits was much more surprising

Funnily enough, my friend met that girl several times as she'd found another job. Apparently on every one of those occasions she got absolutely fucked lol

Pterion

Picture me shocked. Maybe he should send his resume to Russia and report on his experience... Bottom line is, there are very few places in the world outside of subsaharan Africa where a black person can hope to be treated as well as anybody. But racism is dead, I have heard.

That is unfortunate. But would that teacher really want to work where he feels unwelcome?

There is not just racism to black people but to dark skinned people in general. The white obsession in all Asian countries is pretty sad. In India you even have fairness cream for your genitals.

I wonder if there is a place in a world where there is truly racism. Recently found out that Canada has that as well - which I assumed was a lot better than US.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Can't wait until someone defends this.

As someone who taught there years ago, I worked with both a black gigantic male teacher who was adored by his students and who spent the final years of his life there and was subsequently buried there, and a black lesbian teacher who loved her time there and was the subject of adoration despite looking like, in her own words, 'a female Urkel', I'll say this:

1. This article is pretty old
2. This isn't all of Korea
3. East Asia isn't used to multiculturalism like they are in the West. These aren't universal truths or understandings from a group of people who mostly interact with their own race.

That good enough for you?

What as horrible thing to happen to someone so qualified for a position to be turned down due to appearance. This is not acceptable behavior even if you're in an ethnically homogeneous country. No excuses. I hope he finds an even better place to teach/work at than the school that turned him down.

HORRORSHØW

shit like this saddens and angers me as a korean. i can empathize with mr. jones in a way, being discriminated by koreans because i am heavily tattooed. xenophobia is still deeply ingrained into the korean psyche unfortunately.

“I suspect that there was some miscommunication between him and the recruiter.”

Bullshit.

they only want a white teacher

That is clear enough for there not to be miscommunication.

It's upsetting to read PoC Americans being treated like they aren't good enough to represent America.

Got to reinforced White is Right and default.

It is no wonder Katie Mulrennan, an Irish teacher, was also recently refused a job because of the perceived heavy drinking habits of her countrymen. She received a message that claims she would not be hired due to “the alcoholism nature of your kind.”

So yeah, it's not "White Is Right", It's "I think you're like Stereotype X, so we won't hire you".

YoungHav

Banned
But how can this be racist if South Korea never enslaved or colonized Africans? Americans are trying to impose their guilt on the rest of the world!

I encountered this as well in China. The EF school I was hired at, the guy running the place asked me to help find more teachers for the school. His stipulation was that I only find "people of quality". Which I initially took as just meaning teachers who weren't there to just screw off. However, when my initial find was turned down I had this stressed to me again, "people of quality". So, upon asking for clarification on just what he meant, I was told, "No black people."

The fear seems to be that a person of color would scare the kids, and that would make parents upset and pull the kids out of the school. The fear of upsetting kids and parents was a main deciding factor on how we did things. Basically boiled down to anything different might be bad, therefore it is bad.

I'm not surprised tbh. My university had a lot of transfer students from Korea and even those people discriminated against Korean-Americans for various reasons. And no, I'm not kidding. It didn't matter to them that you could speak the language at the same level and that you understand the honor system, if people knew you as John Kim instead of Kim Jo-han you're immediately outcasted out of their "social circle."

Hell, the Korean Student Association was one of the most secretive groups on campus. Their posters were all in Korean when the poster "laws" specifically state that it has to relay the same message in English or it won't be accepted. Funny thing was, none of the Korean-American's I knew were part of the KSA. They were in the Asian, Vietnamese or Filipino student group coz none of those groups cared what color you are and what country you came from.

That said, this isn't really limited to Korea... all of Asia seems to hate each other for various reasons.

The Llama

This probably seems extremely random but this made me wonder if there are any countries that are racist against white (Caucasian) people?

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I got away from Oklahoma! Yay for no more raci... Wait, wtf Korea?!

Seesaw15

This probably seems extremely random but this made me wonder if there are any countries that are racist against white (Caucasian) people?

Not really. If you're white you've kind of won the genetic lottery as far as universal acceptance goes.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";170622665]Imagine being an 8 year old excited to meet an American for the first time and opening the door to a gorilla.[/QUOTE]

I damn near died laughing.

<3

Breakage

Doesn't surprise me tbh. Seems like the Far East look down on people with darker skin tones in general. Skin colour is still highly linked with social class and ideas of beauty in many parts of Asia.

I was recently reading some blog accounts that described how people from South Asian countries were treated with contempt whilst living in Hong Kong.

Apparently (Chinese) people won't even sit next to a South Asian person on trains/buses. Landlords will refuse accept tenants if they happen to be south Asian or black. Getting a job as a foreigner is much harder if you're not white.

However if you happen to be a passing tourist, they don't seem to care and will happily take your money.

Koreans aren't the only ones that are straight up racist, most Asians for the most part are pretty damn racist.

Dealing with my ex Vietnamese girlfriend''s dad was a nightmare lol

That "the kids are scared of strange foreigners" line is so strange, because first off, a white american is very much foreigner, and secondly, why wouldn't you want to try and put a kibosh on that fear by hiring the very qualified black man and actually giving these kids a legitimate perspective.

Get your shit together, Humans.

South Korea is the most racially homogeneous country IN THE WORLD. Add a cultural psychology of being historically oppressed/invaded/ravaged, and you get a psyche that is quite resistant to unfamiliarity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom