• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American rejected for job teaching English in South Korea because he's black

Status
Not open for further replies.

Condom

Eh, it's the same in all other countries without a multi-racial society. People just straight up assume stereotypes, younger people who haven't (yet) been infected by the bigotry are cooler.

Zoe

Yep.

Am surprised black teachers are getting rejected. Being black in Asia definitely is equated to being a foreigner, so it would follow that they'd want a "Real Westerner"™ to teach English.

They probably get just as many black people from Africa as they do from America, so there isn't necessarily the stereotype that being black = impeccable English.

Visiting is one thing. But staying there longterm to work with others? Why would you put yourself through that if there is a culture that is disgusted by your existence?

Reading that teacher's blog made my blood boil. I sat there, late for work, trying to process what I had just read. It's not even the mindset that angers me most; the demonstration of disgust (getting out of their seat and moving away for instance); the dehumanisation of someone next to you is utterly repugnant.

This is why I'm such a strong advocate of multiculturalism.

Raistlin

It is no wonder Katie Mulrennan, an Irish teacher, was also recently refused a job because of the perceived heavy drinking habits of her countrymen. She received a message that claims she would not be hired due to “the alcoholism nature of your kind.”
Lol damn

Kieli

Puked my guts out when PR woman stated "miscommunication".

Shut up. 67.3141592653589793323% of Chinese, Japanese, and Koreans are racist as fuck. They're just worst at hiding it than others.

This Philippines is actually a little better in this respect when it comes to accepting other cultures. You will be treated like royalty if you are a foreigner, doesn't matter if you are white or black, so long as you are American or European. Lots of great exposure from NBA (Basketball is huge in the Philippines) so if you are tall and black, everyone thinks you're a basketball star. They also have some experience with the native Aetas, which were the aboriginals of some islands and they all have darker skin and curlier hair. Not to mention the diversity of Filipino groups themselves with completely different languages and cultures like the Ilokanos of the north, the highland mountain Igorots, the lowland Tagalogs, peninsular Bikolanos, the Visayan Islanders and the Islamic Moros down south. Many Filipinos also trace their ancestry, or part of their ancestry to China.

There are some racism here and there and white people and fair skin mestizos still get favorable treatment, especially on TV and the media but the situation is a lot better compared to East Asia. Filipinos in general are exposed to more cultures other than their own and are more tolerant as a result.

Oh yeah most definitely the Philippines is much more tolerant with so many things. Hell, gays can roam the country freely despite the fact that the Catholic church is well ingrained in our culture and government. Yet here in Texas, if so much as two dudes hold hands it's about time to cock the shotgun and shoot the shit out of them.

I was born and raised in one of the better cities in Mindanao that isn't Davao or Gen San, that's also a hotbed for terrorism(that's enough of an hint right? lol). And back when I used to live there the air force base was actually full of Americans training the AFP.

You'd rarely see them outside of the air base since they were usually high ranking officials or something along those lines. But yeah, they were pretty much treated like royalty. They were at many public events supposedly as guests when in fact they were there to make sure the MNLF or the Abu Sayyaf wouldn't show up to wreck shit.

Scarecrow

The Chinese girls are obsessed with making their skin whiter, too. Have lots of creams and other snake oil to try to achieve a more paler complexion. The tanner skinned Chinese are made fun of for being "too black."

Kaze Kyou

Please tell me more.

It sounds about right. As a western-born Asian, I've been exposed to a lot of Chinese/Taiwanese/Japanese/Korean attitudes towards foreigners. Sometimes they forget that I'm a foreigner altogether and say outright racist things about other coloured people.

In Taiwan, a lot of people are mocked for having darker skin, as the stereotype is that darker-skinned Taiwanese people are less-educated as they never stay indoors and study. Plus, most of them tend to be labourers who stay out in the sun all day. This stereotype most likely applies to China, Japan and Korea too.

Then there's that whole traditional sexist notion of women having to stay indoors/home all the time, thus the whiter the skin, perfect wife blah blah blah. It's backward, and they will deny it in front of your face, but everybody accepts this norm regardless.

I suppose I wouldn't call Asians "racist as fuck", more ignorant than anything. A lot of it comes down to not being weary of worldly situations and events, as opposed to overt, vicious racism.

It is part of my job to hire new teachers here in Korea.

Me and my Korean counterpart do take appearance into account. I have never not hired someone because of their skin colour, and in fact just hired a black teacher and also have an indian teacher who we hired a couple months ago. What is important for me is how warm and friendly a person looks. I tend to rule out obese teachers because we teach kinder and need to have energetic teachers.

I did know of one overwight amaerican girl who was hired over the internet at my friends school who when they saw her at the airport sent her straight back.

Also in my previous school i know that they would not hire black teachers. The women in charge wanted only white british men, and thought kids would not understand black people because of their lips.

on the whole, i have known a lot of black teachers here and most have not had problems with their schools, but then I don't know how many other black teachers never even get the chance to come because schools flat out reject them.

I just love how people try to defend Asians when this racist shit comes to light.

"Whatabout Racism in the West, huh!?!?"

Or the lovely " I wonder where they get their racist idles from ... maybe from American Media!!!"
As if these places/ people/ cultures don't have a fucking long history of being racist/ nationalistic/ xenophobic that's been deep rooted in them far before movies. Shit isn't new.

Will never understand why people want to kiss up so hard to Asian nations when this pops up.

Anyway, this actually was a shocker to me. Mainly cause I never thought about the process people go through to teach English over-seas in these places. I figured that there was just an arrangement/ deal in place where Organization A would just send people they deem qualified with clean records and full background checks to Schools X Y and Z and be done with it. Didn't know they had to do interviews or anything like that ... never really thought much about what English teachers go through at all really.

Grimløck;170650037 said:
it's like that here too in the states. difference is, you get shot for being black.

how would you view a korean who is more than qualified to teach english but is heavily tattooed?

Tattoos are pretty much a no no. If a teacher can keep them hidden then fine, but the parents just want professional looking people. It is why parents at my school have been fine with non white teachers because they have always looked warm, friendly, and professional.

Me and my Korean counterpart do take appearance into account. I have never not hired someone because of their skin colour, and in fact just hired a black teacher and also have an indian teacher who we hired a couple months ago. What is important for me is how warm and friendly a person looks. I tend to rule out obese teachers because we teach kinder and need to have energetic teachers.

I did know of one overwight amaerican girl who was hired over the internet at my friends school who when they saw her at the airport sent her straight back.

Also in my previous school i know that they would not hire black teachers. The women in charge wanted only white british men, and thought kids would not understand black people because of their lips.

on the whole, i have known a lot of black teachers here and most have not had problems with their schools, but then I don't know how many other black teachers never even get the chance to come because schools flat out reject them.

Lol, that doesn't sound like the work of professionals.

HORRORSHØW

Tattoos are pretty much a no no. If a teacher can keep them hidden then fine, but the parents just want professional looking people. It is why parents at my school have been fine with non white teachers because they have always looked warm, friendly, and professional.
funny you should say that because i have friends who were deported from the states to korea and they got jobs teaching english there. mind you, they don't have college degrees and they barely scraped by the toefl test. they do keep their tattoos nicely hidden, though.

sandy1297

I know most here are arguing that SE Asia is in general full of rampant unabashed racism, but I took a look at this wikipedia article and holy shit.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_ethnic_nationalism

Are other Asian countries like this? Seems Koreans seems to take super special pride on their ethnic background and shun everyone who is not Korean or Koreans who patronize with non-Koreans.

Korea is East Asian which are mostly homogenous

South-East Asian countries in contrary are probably the most diverse region in the world, ethnic wise

Slavik81

The title is singular, but this literally was in the FAQ when I was looking to teach English in South Korea. There were headings for "What if I'm black?" and "What if I'm Asian?" and the answer was basically that schools want white people to show off to the parents, so you're probably not going to find a placement.

Korea is East Asian which are mostly homogenous

South-East Asian countries in contrary are probably the most diverse region in the world, ethnic wise

Typo, my bad. I meant East Asia. Seems like Japan and S Korea share many parallels with each other when it comes with how their homogenous population treat foreigners but it looks like S Korea has them beat by a long shot.

Pila

Shut up. 67.3141592653589793323% of Chinese, Japanese, and Koreans are racist as fuck. They're just worst at hiding it than others.

I loved the accurate estimate. ^^

Depressing article, racism is everywhere. People here are shitting on Asia and America, do you think Europe is immune?

5AjAdv0.jpg

Particolare-di-un-manifesto-della-Lega-Nord-per-le-strade-di-Torino1.jpeg

It's still a big stinky shit everywhere if you ask me.

LOCK

So I have to wonder how Obama has affected these places and people's perceptions?

It's really sad. It will take time and new generations to weed out the old.

It's not just racism against non white people. There is some other level brown nosing of white people.

If you watch Korean TV, movies etc you'll see random white people with barely a grasp of Korean scattered everywhere. For no reason, not even like the scene is in Europe or something. It just looks wrong.

Same shit with Indian cinema. So disgusting.

I loved the accurate estimate. ^^

Depressing article, racism is everywhere. People here are shitting on Asia and America, do you think Europe is immune?

5AjAdv0.jpg

Particolare-di-un-manifesto-della-Lega-Nord-per-le-strade-di-Torino1.jpeg

It's still a big stinky shit everywhere if you ask me.

Sure, Switzerland is shit but do you honestly believe an ad like that would make it to the public in the UK, US, Scandinavia etc?

sirap

SE Asia is diverse as fuck. Come to Malaysia (and Singapore), we're a crock-pot of races all mixed together. Instead of bars, we have Mamak stalls where every race converges for supper.

Vagabundo

I guess I'm doomed to the “the alcoholism nature of your kind.”

Time to hit the pub it's nearly lunchtime and no way I can face work without a couple of pints in me.

Racist fucks....

Pila

Sure, Switzerland is shit but do you honestly believe an ad like that would make it to the public in the UK, US, Scandinavia etc?

I'm sure I could find some racist ads from the UK or Norway if I had time to google a bit, they probably wouldn't directly show black faces, because they know they can't.

(btw, second one is from Italy, not Switzerland)

My point is: racism is still a common thing all over the world, we're wrong when we assume we're immune and just laugh at a place like Korea. They know they can't have that "in your face" attitude, but they're still here.

Bleepey

Hahah I am really regretting not taking you up on your offer hahah.

teach kinder and need to have energetic teachers.

This sounds so outlandish I swear it could be used for a Chappelle Show skit.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Estellex said:
Did you get a lot of "positive" attention from the girls? :D
Casual attention is hard to classify as positive - but it'd be difficult to describe without experiencing it - imagine being gawked at as an animal in Zoo (although I got worse experience with that in Japan).
Once you get to actual human level interaction - the attention is mostly down to curiosity - which you will get everywhere if you sound "foreign" to the locals. I've known people that actually had that down to a science when they studied in US/Canada.

Laieon

I've been here a year. I think Koreans have been insanely accommodating and some of the nicest people I've ever known, but unfortunately this isn't the first time I've heard of this happening. Luckily there's still plenty of schools and hagwons that will hire just about anyone.

If you watch Korean TV, movies etc you'll see random white people with barely a grasp of Korean scattered everywhere. For no reason, not even like the scene is in Europe or something. It just looks wrong.

Eh, I disagree. Most Korean TV shows (at least of the K Drama variety) tend to take place or around Seoul. White people with barely a grasp of Korean are fairly common there. I say this as a white people who knows pretty much just survival and basic conversation Korean who's living in the suburbs of Seoul.

WTF?? This isn't a joke, is it?

If I remember correctly (I think I read about this on /r/Korea a few months back), the guy is on some TV show here. The lady recognized him and was just surprised to see him.

edit: this is apparently him: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Okyere

*Splinter

I'm sure this is a reference to something. Without the frame of reference, it's tough to read this post.
In this case, understanding the reference doesn't really make it any funnier.

I assume he's referring to Google photos mislabelling some black people as gorillas. That shouldn't make it ok to casually describe black people as gorillas, but I guess that's less important than iunderstoodthatreference.gif (and now probably nofunallowed.gif)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom