• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any amiibos considered rare?

I went to my local target and it seems like most of the Link and Villager amiibos are gone. Oh and Marth is completely sold out.

I went to my local target and it seems like most of the Link and Villager amiibos are gone. Oh and Marth is completely sold out.

It's sounding like marth, villager, and wft are the rarer ones.

link seems to be produced in large quantities but also selling very, very quickly.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
I found some Marth with fine faces and Wii Fit trainer today.

I can't get a handle on which Amiibo is selling best. Pikachu or Mario perhaps. I must know.

Balb

Some are more uncommon than others but none are that hard to get and they all seem to get restocked fairly frequently (especially online).

I can't get a handle on which Amiibo is selling best. Pikachu or Mario perhaps. I must know.

I'm guessing Link is more popular than Pikachu.

Jobbs

Banned

Marth seems to be somewhat rare on the whole right now, but who knows if that'll change. it could just be a blip on the radar, or it could last-- All depends on how much of these Nintendo plans to print and ship.

I'm guessing Link is more popular than Pikachu.

I would question that. Hard to underestimate how much some pokemon fans, often kids, LOVE pikachu. The pikachu statue looks so great, too, that some people may buy it without even owning the game.

Popnbake

Other than the factory mistakes like this (and depending on how many there are):

Awesome hahahah https://twitter.com/AllGamesBeta/status/536084014193713152?s=09

B3CNkZfCAAARPj5.jpg:small

I doubt any of the wave Amiibo releases will be considered rare enough for demand when the hype dies down.

Balb

Marth seems to be somewhat rare on the whole right now, but who knows if that'll change. it could just be a blip on the radar, or it could last-- All depends on how much of these Nintendo plans to print and ship.

I would question that. Hard to underestimate how much some pokemon fans, often kids, LOVE pikachu. The pikachu statue looks so great, too, that some people may buy it without even owning the game.

I'm not sure kids outnumber Nintendo fans on the Wii U.

shanafan

Decided to preorder Shulk now from Gamestop.

Thank you for the age of Internet to shop for these things while just wearing your pajamas :)

Liberty4all

Banned
It just all depends on if they reprint. The skylanders company understood a few chaser models creates ridiculous demand. I have my doubts Nintendo will "get it" in terms of a part of what drives demand into the stratosphere.

Edit: With that said I managed to get a wft, a villager and a marth
.. Just in case.

I personally think though they will all be eventually available in massive quantities.

kirby_fox

Banned
Got Kirby and Fox at launch, loving how they look. I've always wanted figures of all the smash characters since Melee.

Trying not to get more...but it's so hard not to want them all.

Shulk/Meta Knight jealous of you guys in the U.S. but hopefully we get some sort of announcement here that they're going to release meta in canada and shulk at EBgames

im only missing the ones that are sold out - Captain Falcon - (i need to get kirby) - Little mac - Pit

jax

Banned
Pretty ridiculous that there's still no word on N3DS support. Does no one in Japan or Australia give a shit about Amiibo?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
im only missing the ones that are sold out - Captain Falcon - (i need to get kirby) - Little mac - Pit
Kirby aside, those aren't sold out. They're Wave 2.

Got Mario, Kirby, and DK tonight as my last gasp of the TRU sale. Probably stick with what I've got until someone has a B2G1 sale.

Welp. Just bought Fox, Wii Fit Trainer, and Donkey Kong from Toys'R'Us before the sale ends. I was only supposed to have Link and was gonna wait until Wave 2 for Captain Falcon and Zelda. But now I'm going to have save up to get the other 5 from Wave 1 I don't have yet.

I'm really interested to see the numbers and stats for how well Amiibo are doing.

blamite

I got my Target's last Kirby on Friday night, and would've bought the last Samus if the paint on the visor wasn't a bit messed up.

Other than those two there seemed to be a pretty good stock. Seemed to be a few Marths, Yoshi's Peaches, Foxes, and Marios still on the shelf, with no worries or running out soon.

Besides Kirby, the only other Amiibos I think I'l end up going for are Samus, Toon Link, and maaaaaaybe Meta Knight. I'm a big fan of the ones that don't need any extra plactic supports, so I'm especially happy with how Kirby and Samus turned out. Shame about some of the others, though.

steveovig

Managed to convince my wife to buy three more figs from the TRU sale, before it's over. Got the Villager, Kirby, and strutting Yoshi. I love these.

Persona7

Banned
I got my Target's last Kirby on Friday night, and would've bought the last Samus if the paint on the visor wasn't a bit messed up.

Other than those two there seemed to be a pretty good stock. Seemed to be a few Marths, Yoshi's Peaches, Foxes, and Marios still on the shelf, with no worries or running out soon.

Besides Kirby, the only other Amiibos I think I'l end up going for are Samus, Toon Link, and maaaaaaybe Meta Knight. I'm a big fan of the ones that don't need any extra plactic supports, so I'm especially happy with how Kirby and Samus turned out. Shame about some of the others, though.

I had to inspect every samus figure, they all had messed up paint where the gold meets the black and or messed up visors. The very last one at the end of the rack was perfect!

Going to pre order the one's I think will be "limited" or "rare" immediately. This means 2x Shulk, 2x Meta Knight, 2x Lucario and then some stuff from Wave 2.

Kirby aside, those aren't sold out. They're Wave 2.

Got Mario, Kirby, and DK tonight as my last gasp of the TRU sale. Probably stick with what I've got until someone has a B2G1 sale.

Yeah, I mean off of Amazon it is where i get most of them from. those ones I listed in particular are the ones unavailable on amazong at the moment (pit,captain,little mac) i just never pre-ordered them on time. :-/

I went out and bought a Yoshi today... urgh. Now I'm at 5 with WFT and Villager coming in some time next week.

I'm probably going to buy all of them, fml.

Is it hard to find amiibos with perfect paint jobs? With no defects or anything off?

I said a few pages back that I went through about a dozen or so figures before finding the best looking ones. They are there, it just takes time. Saw a really wacky Kirby today with one eye being directly above his mouth while the other was above his cheek.

Goddammit GAF. I was only missing 3 because I wasn't interested in them (Villager, WFT, and Yoshi), but that 3 for $30 deal was too good. So I bought them.

I knew these stupid things would be the end of me.

And I just realized I could preorder the Lucario amiibo with free shipping, so that's done now... just need to cave and buy Shulk and then grab Meta Knight with GCU when that and the other wave 3s pop up.

Jimrpg

I went from originally being a bit cynical/skeptical about amiibos to now believing they're a home run.

God me too. I was kind of meh when they introduced them at E3 thinking it was another Skylanders thing.

But I don't give a shit about Skylanders, I do like Nintendo characters though, and they all look so fucking good. This is the first time I want to get some figurines EVER and I'm 33... its $14 in Australia... still kinda expensive to collect them all.

There's like 3 dozen more characters coming. Your suffering is nowhere near over.

Oh I know. But I was hoping to save myself some grief by getting only the ones that I was personally interested in. But then I bought the entirety of the first wave anyways.

I'll be stricter from now on, as soon as they make amiibos of characters that I don't like... Basically at this point Luigi looks like the only one I'm not interested in for wave 2 and 3. Crud.

LaNaranja

I went to Toys R Us friday morning planing to get three amiibos and when I saw the crowd I got 6. I am still missing Wii Fit Trainer, Pikachu, Fox, Yoshi, Marth and Villager. The only ones I don't care to much about getting are the last two. :/

The Samus and Donkey Kong costumes both look great in Mario Kart 8.

So has anyone found a Kirby that doesn't have fucked up eyes?

I haven't seen a Kirby with effed up eyes. You mean angry Kirby?

For all of you who are feeling guilty splurging on multiple and or buying the whole set, think of it as an investment. I can see amiibos only appreciating in value. Our wallets are hurting now, but wait several years from now when Nintendo announces they are ceasing production of some of the lines.

Nintendo stuff generally only goes up in value, even the Virtual Boy which bombed is going for a pretty penny. I think it's time to buy some Nintendo shares lol.

For all of you who are feeling guilty splurging on multiple and or buying the whole set, think of it as an investment. I can see amiibos only appreciating in value. Our wallets are hurting now, but wait several years from now when Nintendo announces they are ceasing production of some of the lines.

Nintendo stuff generally only goes up in value, even the Virtual Boy which bombed is going for a pretty penny. I think it's time to buy some Nintendo shares lol.

Thats why out of the 6 I bought I only opened up 3. I most likely will just open up my very favorites or the regular nintendo characters. Stuff like marth/wii fit trainer and shulk are staying sealed. Probably means I'm buying two shulks though.

I'm sorry if this has been asked and answered a thousand times. Skipped over the last few pages and didn't find anything.

Does the NFC functinality work with the figs inside the box?

SmokeMaxX

I'm sorry if this has been asked and answered a thousand times. Skipped over the last few pages and didn't find anything.

Does the NFC functinality work with the figs inside the box?

No there's a metal strip preventing that functionality. It's so people can't buy, use, then return to store.

Liberty4all

Banned

See my problem is, remembering skylanders, the only ones that went up in value were unopened chasers. That's a problem for me because unlike skylanders you can't actually USE these figures in the box.

I've settled for opening main characters but limited characters that I think will be gone in a month I'm keeping closed. For now that means the trinity ... Marth, Wii fit Trainer and Villager. The nice thing is all 3 have 0 DLC in any other game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom