• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amy Hennig worked 10.5 years of 80+ hour weeks at Naughty Dog, says AAA not worth it

And people wonder why games keep getting delayed. Project managers in the gaming industry, from what I've heard have it ridiculously tough. The industry was built on creatives and thus setting deadlines is very difficult if your boss came from the bottom as well, they know how it is and can relate.

It's frustrating as consumers, but we reap what we sow.

Best wishes.

Wereroku

At least indie devs are crunching for themselves, and own the product they are crunching for.

AAA development seems like hell.

A lot of programmers don't look at it that way though. What you are doing is yours even if you don't own it so you want it to be as good as possible. Some of the crunch in the software industry is not employer mandated.

Soi-Fong

Actually that makes perfect sense. I don't buy anything if it doesn't meet my requirements.

Cool. Makes perfect sense. While you're adding to those requirements, more and more manhours will be spent to check off every box in that growing list and this cycle will continue where devs work more and more hours.

That last sentence of yours is the reason why dev hours will just keep on increasing.

A lack of empathy is a really bad trait, you know.

It's not even a lack of empathy. It's delusional. What planet do you have to live on to think launching an indie game is not just as stressful and requiring hard ass work with long hours?

They all have to do the exact same shit. Indies just do it with less people. That's like literally it.

Gator86

Almost everything she said is abominable. She's totally right. The industry has a lot of stuff it needs to work out.

Timeaisis

It's not just crunch. Its the culture 'around' crunch. Get any group of devs together for any small amount of time, and within minutes you will hear the conversation switch to them exchanging crunch horror stories. We exchange these stories as points of pride, when they really should be points of shame.

Yeah, this is the real problem. Like it's a good thing, a point of pride, like you said. "Look how dedicated I am" and all that.

Couple that with the arms race that is AAA games development, and crunch is just the status quo, which completely sucks.

It really is a huge catch-22 because in AAA if a developer doesn't crunch, their game suffers in comparison to the developer who does crunch, and the consumer doesn't know what goes on behind the scenes, so they just pick the better looking product. However, I do believe it's unsustainable in the long run. Games are getting more and more complicated to develop, and with that comes either a) even more crunch or b) much longer dev cycles with "regular" crunch. The churn rate on employees will get to insanity levels. People always wonder why there are only a handful of leaders in game development, and this is always what I tell them. You've got those that have almost always been at the top, and then you got the cogs that either burn out before they reach it, or they get laid off to bring in the next batch of crunchers.

Alienous

At least indie devs are crunching for themselves, and own the product they are crunching for.

AAA development seems like hell.

I really do wonder sometimes what motivates AAA developers.

All that effort for alright pay and being listed as the fourth member of the UI design team.

"Poor devs..."

Give me a fucking break. There's no need to feel sorry for these people. It was their own choice to work at AAA developer that is being whipped by a greedy publisher.

Want to avoid crunch? Make your own indie game. Problem solved.

The fuck is this post.

Well Mogwai got his/her intended reaction then. Surely no-one is that stupid.

I still think their needs to be a greater effort from the press in not exclaiming "where is game X, it's been 2 years already....." as well as the PR cycles not announcing games so early that puts the studios under extra pressure earlier.

And yes, ultimately, it's down to those publishing and running the studios to try and change the working practices around so that the situations in the OP don't carry on being the norm.

"Poor devs..."

Give me a fucking break. There's no need to feel sorry for these people. It was their own choice to work at AAA developer that is being whipped by a greedy publisher.

Wow. It's called having some empathy

And, no making your own indie game doesn't solve the problem. At all. Crunching, 3hrs of sleep, working for hours every day for years, is just as common among indie game dev

Soi-Fong

I really do wonder sometimes what motivates AAA developers.

All that effort for alright pay and being listed as the fourth member of the UI design team.

Really as a dev myself, sometimes its not even financial motivation but seeing users get immersed in worlds that you've created and get lost in. As a dev, when that sort of thing happens, it's literally one of the best feelings in the world.

EVH

This isnt just Crunch. She said this is on average.

There is definitely this weird attitude in software development firms where if you arent working crazy 50-60+ hours a week you are looked down upon by other folks. Basically, working weekends and 60 hour+ weeks has become the norm.

It has nothing to do with crunch. On crunch its even worse, but this is the attitude perpetuated by software programmers and engineers. they have fucked themselves.

Basically this. They made themselves the losers at the company. And they may be getting average to good salaries but anyway nobody enjoys life like that.

wapplew

I mean, she is lucky, her hardwork get recognition. Many devs only get "game too short wait for discount", "no single player no buy" for same amount of work.

Kalnos

Banned
Cool. While you're adding to those requirements, more and more manhours will be spent to check off every box in that list and this cycle will continue where devs work more and more hours.

That last sentence of yours is the reason why dev hours will just keep on increasing.

The reason dev hours keep increasing is because of shitty management and unrealistic timelines... trying to shift the blame to consumers for having standards is ridiculous.

Gamezone

Gold Member
So a 50 hours open world game with repetitive side missions and a lot of traveling is better than a shorter game with 10 hours of pure quality? I don`t agree. Give me more games like Uncharted.

NolbertoS

I thought most people knew that the gaming industry is like the fast food industry on the lower end, churning new employees each year on the lower end with low wages, and expecting there salaried personnel to work 100 hour weeks to get the job done. If you want long term financial stability better enter health care or construction with not crazy hours daily.

NJD316

Neo Member
Yeah she's right about the rising expectations for games. I played Prince of Persia: Sands of Time again last month. It's a really tight and well designed 6-8 hour game with no other modes. If it came out nowadays, people would be straight on here complaining about "lack of content".

Mechazawa

This sort of sobering admission really puts that kinda shitty crunch mindset from that GoW4 Motherboard article in perspective.

Sydle

Glad she found a better fit.

I worked 60-80 hour weeks for about two years and I'll never do it again. It was immensely detrimental to so many aspects of my life. Looking back none of my achievements, some of which I am proud of, were worth the costs.

domstah

"Poor devs..."

The irony of your avatar, and that statement ...

AmuroChan

Trying to create a union pretty much guarantee's you lose your job in most cases. The company will just say "Hey you don't want to work in these conditions, we will just find someone who will". It is the sad reality unfortunately.

Well, obviously you're going to need most people (and preferably influential game devs) to be on board so that the union has some negotiating power.

Servbot24

Banned
If she's in a leadership role, wasn't she part of the problem technically?

She wants to make the best game possible with the limited amount of time and money that have been allotted to her by the publisher/investor/whoever. If she had an extra hundred million dollars or could push her game out another 2 years I'm sure she would.

Wereroku

The reason dev hours keep increasing is because of shitty management and unrealistic timelines... trying to shift the blame to consumers for having standards is ridiculous.

Some customers have unrealistic expectations as well though. In the Dragon Quest builders thread someone said an 80 metacritic is too high for a game without multiplayer. I've also heard that some games shouldn't have a $60 price tag because they don't have some checklist of features. It's a toxic environment on both sides.

Chao

Im not really familiar with what was Amy's role while developing these games. I believe she was responsible for the story of the games, so I can't see how in the world did they need her there 80 hours a week for 10+ years. But I'm probably wrong and she did something else which required her to be there I guess, wouldnt make sense otherwise

Akai__

BE AN INDIE DEV HE SAYS!

I'm a dev - i've worked both triple A & indie; I have friends who are both triple A & indie. This is the most ignorant-ass shit I have ever heard. Understand 1 thing - indie devs work just as hard & as long as triple-A devs.

There is no need to feel sorry for these people? Its shit like this that tempts me to just give it all up & leave. Cause ultimately, the myriad of sacrifices I have seen in development by people in their own lives is not worth it, cause the 'fanbase' doesn't give a FUCK about what you & yours will go through to give them the quality they want & feel they deserve.

I know friends who sacrificed multi-year relationships to ship titles this fall. Others who have been crunching over 60+ hours for the last year, through the holidays. Some who haven't had enough personal time to go out on a date in years. And through it all, they do it for the fans, they tell themselves. The same ones who sit here & have zero sympathy for the encouraged corporate culture that continues to oppress them.

I'm sorry for people like you who have to read shit like this. Really sucks that people are so ignorant about these things.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Crunch is always part of the cycle, so this isn't surprising. I wonder though how much of it she enjoyed. There are definitely people out there that would love to do that amount of work if it was something they absolutely loved and woke up for.

Personally, I don't think any job is worth it as my last boss said, your job won't be beside you on your deathbed.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
This happens a ton in the AAA game industry (and some on mobile), its one, if not THE one, biggest disconnects between devs and fans.

This is why devs get so angry when fans get outraged about a game being flawed or missing features. Zero empathy from your biggest fans and you're not even really allowed to explain why.

psyfi

Banned
Can't say I disagree with her. Video games aren't worth ruining creators' lives. It's sad to see this medium so compromised by capitalism and bottom lines.

AmuroChan

If she's in a leadership role, wasn't she part of the problem technically?

She's only the creator director. At the end of the day she still has to answer to the Publisher who not only controls the budget, but also decides when a game needs to ship by.

Beartruck

AAA needs to change. Right now everyone works themselves to the bone making games with dozens of hours of content that the vast majority of players never even touch.

Some of my favorite games ever are 16 bit games that are the length of a movie or shorter. This content bloat just spreads out the quality and dilutes the experience.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
that LETS GET IT mentality

bravo for busting her ass, but it's a shame we are in such an employer-empowered economy

only gonna get worse, too :/

AmuroChan

Crunch is always part of the cycle, so this isn't surprising. I wonder though how much of it she enjoyed. There are definitely people out there that would love to do that amount of work if it was something they absolutely loved and woke up for.

Personally, I don't think any job is worth it as my last boss said, your job won't be beside you on your deathbed.

This isn't just crunch though. She's saying 80 hr work week is the norm, meaning during crunch it's even longer.

MilkyJoe

Battlefront 2 is out next year. If you're interested in a campaign,
EA Motive seems to be making one for it.

This is also an example of what I meant earlier. When EA wants a major feature added to a product, they can just grab an entire new studio and put it on the project instead of trying to lump all the pressure onto DICE because of economies of scale. Not everyone can.

Cheers, I will have a looksie into that.

Wereroku

AAA needs to change. Right now everyone works themselves to the bone making games with dozens of hours of content that the vast majority of players never even touch.

Some of my favorite games ever are 16 bit games that are the length of a movie or shorter. This content bloat just spreads out the quality and dilutes the experience.

Some of your favorite 16 bit games probably also had huge amounts of crunch. Especially if they were japanese games.

People shit all over companies like Valve, but they probably haven't had to crunch since Portal 2 something

Valve is toxic in other ways. But I am betting they also encourage long working hours if you want to get your project adopted by the company.

Spinky

"Poor devs..."

This is top five GAF posts.

dogpowerd

Banned

Agreed. For every Witcher 3 there are a dozen of ubisoft style busyworkathons. Longer does not automatically equal better.

Servbot24

Banned

Oh, I can blame the shit out of consumers. Consider the storm of tantrums from gamer man-babies any time a game gets delayed, or doesn't have enough frames, or the thing someone was hoping would happen in the story doesn't happen, etc, etc. These people have a very real and evident power to actually ruin the lives of developers.

Alienous

Really as a dev myself, sometimes its not even financial motivation but seeing users get immersed in worlds that you've created and get lost in. As a dev, when that sort of thing happens, it's literally one of the best feelings in the world.

They have a deep love for their craft, which makes them very easy to take advantage of.

Yeah, that makes sense. You'd be hard pressed finding any other software developers as enthusiastic about what the get to do.

gondwana

I feel kind of shitty reading these stories for obvious reasons. but also, because I always get a kick out of reading all the "aw shucks, you mean capital pulverizes labor into fine dust???" posts, hitting the back button and seeing 169012569117185882612 reply threads for this month's disposable AAA games on the forum page

luoapp

Well Mogwai got his/her intended reaction then. Surely no-one is that stupid.

I still think their needs to be a greater effort from the press in not exclaiming "where is game X, it's been 2 years already....." as well as the PR cycles not announcing games so early that puts the studios under extra pressure earlier.

And yes, ultimately, it's down to those publishing and running the studios to try and change the working practices around so that the situations in the OP don't carry on being the norm.

Working conditions won't change if there is pressure to be profit. AAA (or game dev/publish in general) is a tough business as it is and consumers keep asking for more. It has to be an industry wide movement, either unionizing or monopolizing to offer less content in a game, like $60 single player only games are acceptable, and gamer won't like it.

Oh, I can blame the shit out of consumers. Consider the storm of tantrums from gamer man-babies any time a game gets delayed, or doesn't have enough frames, or the thing someone was hoping would happen in the story doesn't happen, etc, etc. These people have a very real and evident power to actually ruin the lives of developers.
Yes, it's ultimately a conflict between dev/pub and gamer/consumer.

Green Yoshi

A while ago I read an article about working hours in the USA. People work more hours per week than in Germany, but they are less productive because Germans have 30 paid vacation days per year and Americans only 10. And 42% of the employees didn't take any vacation because of being afraid to lose their job.

If you want to have great employees, you have to offer great working conditions.

Top Bottom