• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An 11-year-old found meth inside a copy of Grand Theft Auto V

TheFatMan

So it must be from the video games they play, not the environment they are raised in, who they hang out with, and any other outside factors....

Not a really strong argument either.

I'm sure it's from many things. Music, tv, movies, video games, mom and dad.....

Just because a game isn't the only culprit doesn't mean it's acceptable....does that really have to be said?

And let us not be unrealistic here. The moms and dads buying there elementary school kid Grand Theft Auto 5 are more likely to be "I don't give a fuck" parents than they are parents who are trying to take some high ground about letting there kids see tits and ass and swearing before they even know what to do with it....

I've been playing mature games and watching R-rated movies since I was 3 so whatevs to that arguement lol

Same. Only thing I remember my mom not letting me watch was Silence of the Lambs when they rented it one time, and I didn't know why or care. Good call.

Some people must have been those kids that your mom didn't really like you going over to their house because their mom seemed like they would probably call social services if you said "hell yeah" instead of "heck yeah!"

meth-not-even-once_o_1120913.jpg

Spman2099

And let us not be unrealistic here. The moms and dads buying there elementary school kid Grand Theft Auto 5 are more likely to be "I don't give a fuck" parents than they are parents who are trying to take some high ground about letting there kids see tits and ass and swearing before they even know what to do with it....

It's not unrealistic at all. Helping your children come to grips with the content they are inevitably going to encounter is something that has been done by good parents for years now. That is why the kind of content you are referring to should be introduced in the home. That way it can be explained and better understood. That is good parenting. It is the same as the parents who talked to their children about sex early; making sure they understand prophylactics and their importance. Because preparing your children is your best option, you will never control them. Some parents employ the method of pretending all this stuff doesn't exist. Their children are the ones that end up learning all the wrong lessons from all the wrong people (or more specifically, all the wrong children).

Yup! I was 12 when I had that, I loved the GOURANGA!!!!

GTA 3 came out when I was 17. Never got ID'd for it when I bought it

Back then people never took games serious enough and there weren't any standards in place where ID'ing people over this kind of stuff was even considered. It wasn't until a few parents actually seen what was in the game and complained that the discussion even came about and even then it wasn't taken seriously until San Andreas came out with the whole Hot Coffee exploit.

Chojin

So you didn't play DOOM or anything else before that age? ;)

Yes, but we were talking about GTA. The first one at that.

Really the first game that made me sit back and take pause of the level of violence was the first Soldier of Fortune. The first time I blew off some dudes leg with a shotgun and the guy bled out kinda freaked me out. I was 20 by that time. Everything else was pretty cartoony. I'm not squeamish about violence and I don't think there's a hard age restriction on violence. Hell I grew up on gory 80's horror flicks as a kid. But with soldier of fortune it was one of the first times I played a game where the violence was there for the sake of being brutal. Even mortal kombat as a 13 year old was still tongue in cheek.

So really the question is what age would I let my child play a GTA game? Again depends on the emotional maturity of my children. I'm going to have my first next month. I'll have to see if she's even interested in stuff like that but say like at age 13 I'd have to judge for myself how she can handle it. Personally I don't mind gory things, but violence for the sake of violence like the torture scene in GTA 5 even in my 30s wasn't really something that was fun for me.

I'll be honest I don't really have the perspective of younger generations growing up on violent video games. When I was 8 the most horrifically violent video game you could play was probably Friday the Thirteenth for the C64. I was a teenager by the time Mortal Kombat came out. But what I do know is I grew up watching tons of horror flicks since I was six and I'd like to think I didn't grow up to be a psycho. So I'd like to think that kids can handle it. But really at the end of the day its not my call, its the parents. It's not like my folks would watch horror flicks with me, usually it was my older brother who would put them on while my folks were out and he was baby sitting me. But what really struck me was when I worked at gamestop in 2001-2003 and from 2011-2013 when we sold GTA games to parents they didn't care about the level of violence, all they cared about was if junior was going to see some boobs, cause you know, that would cause REAL damage.

kyser73

Police reported 6g found.

GameStop employee later heard muttering 'I left a half ounce in that box.'

Apposite bonus content too.

Phox

Banned
Knowing game stop the employee probably sold it to the mother after she bought the game at the cash register instead of asking her to preorder Read dead.

Top Bottom