• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analyst: Xbox "generates" $2 billion in losses for MS. Hides it with patent royalties

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mael

It means he has credibility. Like I said, it has no absolution, but it means he's not Gene Munster or Michael Patcher, of which their analysis can be taken with a finer grain of salt.

You can take Pachter's analysis with a crystal of salt the size of the grand canyon!

mechphree

XBOX has always been and always will be money pit. It's not there to generate a profit. It's there for mindshare. Its there in case Windows and Office become even more of a B2B thing, and all but disappear from the home.

I'm not surprised. They still have a lot of money though, especially with the recent acquisition of Nokia.

Faddy

Banned
Here's an excerpt from Microsofts FY13 financials (year end 30 June 2013)

FY13%20MS%20financials.bmp

If we remove $2bn (android patent revenue) from the revenue total we're down to $8.165bn revenue minus costs of $9.317bn we have a loss of $1.152bn.

I'm not sure where he's getting the $2.5bn loss of which $2bn he attributes to xbox.

From ZDnet

Still, according to Sherlund's numbers, in the quarter to September 2012, when 122.5m Androids shipped, Microsoft's Android royalties were $386m. By the June 2013 quarter, Microsoft is thought to have raked in $489m.

Assuming 90 percent gross margin, he figures that Microsoft made $1.6bn in the 2013 financial year,

So not $2bn but only $1.6bn

There are so many holes in these analyst figures that they don't add up.

If I were a cynical person this is FUD about the current direction of Microsoft, doubting the strategies of Steve Ballmer and hoping to oust the current powers at Microsoft. On another article I saw that he recommends Ballmer resigns from the board and they buy back his $12bn in stock.

There is clearly a war about who is going to be the next CEO. It seems Ballmer and his allies wants Stephen Elop (MS, ex Nokia CEO) and other investors want John Mulally (CEO Ford). These articles are meant to pressure the board to change direction and right the failing company even if it mean sacrificing parts of the business that build brand awareness and are positioned for future growth.

Mael

It is too much to believe. If Microsoft isn't profitable with the Xbox right now, then it's damn near impossible to be profitable as a platform holder.

Ask Sony before they went spending crazy with the ps3 or even fucking Nintendo for that matter.
Heck by the look of it, you'll probably be able to ask Valve soon.

Surely Sony are likely to be forced out first? They are in a worse financial state and MS know that whoever hangs in longest is likely to end up dominating with no competition?

Sony is more likely to kill some of electronics business than they are to kill Playstation/SCE.

Unlike other parts of Sony's electronics family where they've lost a lot of market share, differentiator, and value proposition, taken away by guys like Samsung, Sony is in the position now where they're seeing stuff like their movies, music and gaming division as major differentiators, and core to what will differentiate Sony from other electronics guys.

Maybe a different CEO would have a different view, but right now, Kaz and his board are putting their weight behind the 'core divisions' of Sony, and Playstation is one of them.

IvorB

ITT: Xbox fans enter the first stage of the Kübler-Ross model regarding profitability of Xbox.

Denial <---------Xbox fans, you are here
Anger
Bargaining
Depression
Acceptance

v1oz

I guess all the money that would have made the Xbox division profitable is being used to money-hat 3rd party developers and publishers. I heard they paid upwards of $500 million to get the Titanfall exclusive! And this is series that will eventually go multiplatform when their deal expires. Who knows how much they paid other 3rd parties as well!

IvorB

If I were a cynical person this is FUD about the current direction of Microsoft, doubting the strategies of Steve Ballmer and hoping to oust the current powers at Microsoft. On another article I saw that he recommends Ballmer resigns from the board and they buy back his $12bn in stock.

There is clearly a war about who is going to be the next CEO. It seems Ballmer and his allies wants Stephen Elop (MS, ex Nokia CEO) and other investors want John Mulally (CEO Ford). These articles are meant to pressure the board to change direction and right the failing company even if it mean sacrificing parts of the business that build brand awareness and are positioned for future growth.

Dude, he's an analyst from Nomura. He's not some disgruntled investor or shareholder activist. I'm not saying he's not wrong but he's not likely to put his professional reputation on the line issuing some politically motivated FUD that holds no water. That would be career suicide for someone in his position.

Sydle

With all the big expenditures gearing up for X1 I believe it. There was a time when the 360 was keeping the division afloat, so I imagine these investment costs will pay off over the next couple of years.

Rare's X360 titles have sold (extremely roughly!) around 10 million copies, correct?

That's $600m gross return on a $500m investment over a decade. 2% return a year. If every copy sold at $60, everyone at Rare worked for free, MS got every penny of the at-till price, and no offices needed to be maintained, then the investment in Rare would be worth slightly less than holding bonds.

Wait, from where are you getting the $500m investment figure?

Additionally, you're not accounting for the technology work Rare did with Bungie, Turn10, NXE, or the avatars. And you're also not considering the IPs bought (even if they're not being used now, they're worth something).

You mean Alan Mulally.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Dude, he's an analyst from Nomura. He's not some disgruntled investor or shareholder activist. I'm not saying he's not wrong but he's not likely to put his professional reputation on the line issuing some politically motivated FUD that holds no water. That would be career suicide for someone in his position.

What? Analyst do it all the time lol

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
While I have a hard time believing MS is losing $2 billion per year, I wouldn't be surprised at all that it's a venture that is losing money overall, what with all the R&D, Marketing, Money-Hatting, etc.

so MS is earning more from Android than WP8?

Yup ironic isn’t it? Google does not charge licencing fees for android, but MS does. It’s also funny when I think how this “free” OS from Google will end up costing OEMS almost as much as the traditional MS licensing route. It’s downright disgusting to see MS using patent trolling tactics to strongarm and extort money from manufacturers.

Patents are meant to be used as protection mechanisms to safeguard and encourage innovation, but no, MS is buying them up in bulk as ammunition to control and stifle competition instead. Case in point here being the threat and growth of free open software which calls into question the survival of their legacy as timeless tollkeepers. Nope, there’s no such thing as free, according to this parasite company, because “Fuck You Pay Me” it’s an insult to our long held tradition of collecting a cut from everybody.

Normally I wouldn’t care how companies leech one another, but when such actions have the knock on effect of raising costs and prices for me as a consumer, that’s when I get livid. The patent system is clearly a failure and it’s kind of suspicious why there’s not more scrutiny on how companies like MS are abusing the system at the expense of the consumer.

I guess all the money that would have made the Xbox division profitable is being used to money-hat 3rd party developers and publishers. I heard they paid upwards of $500 million to get the Titanfall exclusive! And this is series that will eventually go multiplatform when their deal expires. Who knows how much they paid other 3rd parties as well!
Stop making numbers up. Nowhere has it been reported that was the figure spent, so please stop spreading numbers that are pulled out of you know where, it only serves to misinform. With that being said, the only number that has been predicted was 50mil for the rumored year times exclusivity which has sinse changed, so maybe you are getting confused. It's obviously more than 50 now, but 500?

You heard wrong.

No one knows for sure how much MS makes from android patents. Sony, Moto, for example do not pay patents to MS whereas Samsung, HTC, and LG do. This is just an educated guess on the author's part.

Faddy

Banned

He is writing that Microsoft should sell 2 consumer facing businesses and buy back all of Steve Ballmer's stock and you think that is an unbiased view?

He is laying out how he sees the current position of Microsoft and how they could be better highlighting the current problems as he sees them while clearly slanting his view towards Alan Mulally as the new CEO (I think I called him John last time because in my mind Alan Mulally = cricketer)

Analysts do this kind of thing all the time, giving opinions is their job. Anyone can read the data but they make money by interpreting it and making arguments with it.

BajiRav

Yup ironic isn&#8217;t it? Google does not charge licencing fees for android, but MS does. It&#8217;s also funny when I think how this &#8220;free&#8221; OS from Google will end up costing OEMS almost as much as the traditional MS licensing route. It&#8217;s downright disgusting to see MS using patent trolling tactics to strongarm and extort money from manufacturers.

Patents are meant to be used as protection mechanisms to safeguard and encourage innovation, but no, MS is buying them up in bulk as ammunition to control and stifle competition instead. Case in point here being the threat and growth of free open software which calls into question the survival of their legacy as timeless tollkeepers. Nope, there&#8217;s no such thing as free, according to this parasite company, because &#8220;Fuck You Pay Me&#8221; it&#8217;s an insult to our long held tradition of collecting a cut from everybody.

Normally I wouldn&#8217;t care how companies leech one another, but when such actions have the knock on effect of raising costs and prices for me as a consumer, that&#8217;s when I get livid. The patent system is clearly a failure and it&#8217;s kind of suspicious why there&#8217;s not more scrutiny on how companies like MS are abusing the system at the expense of the consumer.

I am pretty sure Google charges fees for putting their apps on Android (playstore, gmail etc) which is pretty much every decent Android phone on the market.

flkraven

IMO, this is a very suspect article. The writer and source use very vague terms throughout the entire piece, and there are no timeframes to backup any of the allegations:

For the past few years, Microsoft reported the revenue and operating losses of Entertainment and Devices, which was the group that housed Xbox, Windows Phone, and those Android royalty payments.

Is that 2 years? Is that 5 years? If it was for the entire Xbox 360 generation I would be concerned, but if that figure includes the XB1 R&D costs then I'm not as worried. This is why context matters.

Sherlund says that if you back out the Android profits, Microsoft is probably losing...

Nothing screams confidence in your allegations than the use of the word 'probably'.

I am not an insider, so I don't know the truth about this. Microsoft could very well be losing ridiculous somes of money. At the very least, MS is able to subsidize a risky push into the console space with royalties from their competitors. That's not the worst position to be in.

harSon

Banned
Ask Sony before they went spending crazy with the ps3 or even fucking Nintendo for that matter.
Heck by the look of it, you'll probably be able to ask Valve soon.

Microsoft was about as fiscally responsible as possible with the Xbox 360. Xbox Live is basically pure profit, and has been for quite some time. It's incredibly successful as well. The Xbox 360 hasn't had a real price drop in years, and each unit has been selling in the green for years now. It doesn't hurt that it has sold extremely well to boot.

Granted, research and development for consoles does cost a lot of money, and Microsoft has certainly expanded its internal studios - and has clearly pursued some other games investments. But 2 billion dollars in the hole? I'm just not seeing it. How does Entertainment & Devices turn a profit with Windows Phone and Surface all burning a shit ton of money, on top of the Xbox burning a shit ton of money? Surface alone lost $900 million in one quarter. $2 billion annually isn't enough to subsidize all of that to the point of turning a profit.

weeeeezy

Banned
You are a liar.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I am sure the losses are really heavy if you include everything. Like doing the NFL deal as 1 big expenditure 500 million. I am sure titan fall is now costing upwards of 100-150 million now. Then you start adding in R&D for the hardware like the reported 100 million for the controller. Then the advertising money they will spend to launch the system which I would assume will be more than kinect's 500 million. That is why the only way to get rid of the division would be to give it away. No other companies like Samsung would want any part of all those kind of losses to make it back over time when they can sell phones at 300% mark up.

Curufinwe

He is writing that Microsoft should sell 2 consumer facing businesses and buy back all of Steve Ballmer's stock and you think that is an unbiased view?

Saying it's biased implies he's suggesting they make those moves for reasons other than believing they would be in the best interest of MS shareholders.

Unless I see direct evidence to the contrary, I'm assuming that these revenue figures don't count Live subscriptions and put those into a different revenue stream.

faridmon

I wonder that too. The 360 has high sales, xbox live brings in millions in subscribers alone, decent first party sales, kinect was the biggest hardware launch in history, but it's down 2 billion every year? I don't get it.

Maybe R&D was quite expensive. Didn't the spend 100 million on designing teh controller alone?

The key phrase in the original post is "probably loosing", which means this is pure speculatoin by some "analyst". They might take a hit with XboxOne but the 360 dominated profits with all the Live/online revenue they pulled in.

flkraven

Unless I see direct evidence to the contrary, I'm assuming that these revenue figures don't count Live subscriptions and put those into a different revenue stream.

You are probably right actually! Instead of being included under Entertainment and Devices division, it could be lumped under the services umbrella where things like Azure are.

Skeff

Rare's X360 titles have sold (extremely roughly!) around 10 million copies, correct?

That's $600m gross return on a $500m investment over a decade. 2% return a year. If every copy sold at $60, everyone at Rare worked for free, MS got every penny of the at-till price, and no offices needed to be maintained, then the investment in Rare would be worth slightly less than holding bonds.

wow....

Curufinwe

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...Game_Division_Sales_As_Xbox_Sales_Decline.php

For the three months ending September 30, Microsoft's Entertainment and Devices Division -- which also includes its Internet TV product Mediaroom and its Windows Phone products -- saw revenues of $1.96 billion, up 9 percent from the $1.8 billion it generated in the year prior.

Microsoft attributes this growth primarily to its Xbox revenue, which saw a sales increase of $114 million (or 7 percent) versus last year. The growth was led by higher Xbox Live revenue, the company said.

Has Microsoft ever released subscription numbers for live gold? I can't imagine them ever doing so.

Fox Mulder

There's a theory that Microsoft is intentionally messing up their Xbox One effort so they can get out of the console business. Just a theory.

It's just that stockholders don't really like the Xbox brand, it's like a money pit for them.

surely there's better ways to back out than looking incompetent.

v1oz

Stop making numbers up. Nowhere has it been reported that was the figure spent, so please stop spreading numbers that are pulled out of you know where, it only serves to misinform. With that being said, the only number that has been predicted was 50mil for the rumored year times exclusivity which has sinse changed, so maybe you are getting confused. It's obviously more than 50 now, but 500?
Typo. I meant to say $50 million. And I'm not making numbers up, if my memory serves me right Patcher is the one who mentioned the 50 million - so that the game doesn't come out on PS4. Which is in-line with what they paid Rockstar for the GTA stuff.

You are a liar.
lol

When an analyst has the following credentials:

- top-ranked software industry analyst for 20 years
- 25 year in Goldman Sachs
- point person for MS during his tenure at Goldman Sachs
- long-time friend of Bill Gates
- long-time analyst of MS from IPO till today

This does not mean he's right in absolute values, but he's not some no-name analyst making predictions on when Apple is going to announce their TV.

Some body please include this in the main post so we can stop all the whining of "who's this guy/random analyst/no idea what he's talking about"

Skeff

Typo. I meant to say $50 million. And I'm not making numbers up, if my memory serves me right Patcher is the one who mentioned the 50 million - so that the game doesn't come out on PS4. Which is in-line what they paid Rockstar for the GTA stuff.

It would likely be a 9 figure number for the titanfall exclusivity.

OCDBuzz

Not how I read it - the article stated around $2.5 billion loss for the division with about $2 billion probably due to Xbox : seems pretty explicit.

Seems the analyst is credible and knows MS very well too which is telling. The following piece seems to fit with some of the investor rumblings reports already:

Sherlund believes Microsoft needs to spin out Xbox. He sees it as an orphan group at Microsoft that doesn't really fit with anything it's doing. Investors are blind to Xbox's struggles, says Sherlund, because they are "concealed by the hugely profitable Android royalties."

If this is true no wonder MS caved in and 180'd everything. Given they upped deal for TitanFall I'd guess they're not quite ready to bail out yet - but if PS4 does better than XB1 and current trends continue to make the idea of a single device that "owns" the living room access to services, etc. redundant you have to wonder if MS really will stick with Xbox particularly a new CEO who will want to make changes and show he's making the company more profitable.

Oh god I totally failed at reading comprehension there. I re-read and found the sentence where it specifically says $2bil loss attributable to Xbox. Thanks for the correction.

From ZDnet

The article also makes a lot of assumptions, i.e. MS makes $5 per unit sold and the patent covers 70% of the market. Estimates of MS making $5 - $15 per unit and MS having nearly every major OEM under a license.

I have read that Samsung, HTC, LG, and others are under the license with MS whereas Sony and Moto are not - and therefore do not have to pay MS patent fees. I do not understand how exactly that works, why do some OEMs have to pay MS and not others? If Moto, owned by Google, does not have to pay, why doesn't google use those patents that prevents Moto from paying MS to get those other OEMs off the hook?

Regardless, MS wants more money out of android, their consortium - which ironically includes Sony - is suing google and Android OEMs over the nortel patents.

fiyah

I think the key takeaway from these articles is that a lot of MS's big investors have little confidence in the electronic products. Surface, Xbox and zero confidence in Bing. I think they believe these products don't bring enough dollars to the table and are weighing down the profitability of their other key businesses. Office & Windows, I can honestly see Xbox being spun off into it's own company. Whether or not they would survive without the big MS dollars is another story but even so I can see other investors stepping up to fill the void.

There is zero doubt that Xbox has grown into a big brand but it is also understood why MS's investors would want to get rid of the product. I would say Bing would go before it but so much of Bing is integrated into Xbox that I would go as far as to say the xbone would be a different product were it not for Bing.

OCDBuzz

Just an observation but this article doesn't manage to use more than half a quote from the investor note or the author of the note (Sherlund) and also includes an unprofessional photo of Ballmer.

I'd take this all more seriously if the reporter did too.

mjc

Why is everything negative concerning Xbox taken as gospel now? Since when do we take an analyst's estimations at face value?

ipJiUHrbBTCMw.gif

I don't completely buy this report. Microsoft sees pure profit from plenty of avenues for Xbox.

Mael

Microsoft was about as fiscally responsible as possible with the Xbox 360.

....Launching a year early a system that had plenty of problems to the point that people had to buy multiple (as in a half a dozen) systems to even operate is not exactly responsible.
Especially since it cost them quite a bit to fix that glaring mistake.
The way they handled their sutdios in the big restructuration is also not pointing at them knowing what the hell they were doing.

Xbox Live is basically pure profit, and has been for quite some time. It's incredibly successful as well.

How do you know that?
It's most certainly not pure profit since it should cover the cost of maintenance of the servers (despite the mp being p2p there still need to be servers after all). Then again with them monetizing everything and putting ads everywhere...
Still considering that they redesigned the whole interface multiple times and had to probably redo the infrastructure since the 1rst time they did it (seriously I don't see them having everything in place when they 1rst made it).
I doubt it is that much of a moneymaker.
I'll gladly take hard data to prove me wrong though (and not middle school maths showing that Xnumbers of people x price of subscription = shitload of money, if you don't have the cost you can't have any estimate of the profitability of the thing)
The Xbox 360 hasn't had a real price drop in years, and each unit has been selling in the green for years now. It doesn't hurt that it has sold extremely well to boot.

Japan aside (where let's face it's most certainly a money pit), it has indeed sold fairly well at a fixed price point.
However the device most certainly was sold at a loss but overall it can't be a loss all things considered.
That's logical.

Granted, research and development for consoles does cost a lot of money, and Microsoft has certainly expanded its internal studios - and has clearly pursued some other games investments. But 2 billion dollars in the hole? I'm just not seeing it. How does Entertainment & Devices turn a profit with Bing, Windows Phone and Surface all burning a shit ton of money, on top of the Xbox burning a shit ton of money? Surface alone lost $900 million in one quarter. $2 billion annually isn't enough to subsidize all of that to the point of turning a profit.
It have closed other studios too...
For the last year Skype most certainly isn't a money pit or they wouldn't have bought it (did it already pay for itself though...I have no idea).
There's also plenty of other devices with the MSFT brand name too, considering the fudging of the numbers of the E&D division they might as well take all the revenue garnered by patent in it..

IvorB

The article also makes a lot of assumptions, i.e. MS makes $5 per unit sold and the patent covers 70% of the market. Estimates of MS making $5 - $15 per unit and MS having nearly every major OEM under a license.

I have read that Samsung, HTC, LG, and others are under the license with MS whereas Sony and Moto are not - and therefore do not have to pay MS patent fees. I do not understand how exactly that works, why do some OEMs have to pay MS and not others? If Moto, owned by Google, does not have to pay, why doesn't google use those patents that prevents Moto from paying MS to get those other OEMs off the hook?

Regardless, MS wants more money out of android, their consortium - which ironically includes Sony - is suing google and Android OEMs over the nortel patents.

Some companies like Sony and Moto have sufficient patent portfolios of their own that no one can really strongarm them into payments. They are probably in a cross-licensing deal. Either that or MS just hasn't got around to them yet.

Mandoric

Banned

Sony and Moto have around 30% of the Android market, hence the 70%. MS hasn't gone after them because they have similarly huge patent pools that MS likely infringes on.

Sony haven't gone after MS because, well, why go to bat for your competition when you can realize an extra few bucks per competitively-priced Xperia? Google hasn't because everyone knows exactly who wins in all-out patent war: the firms litigating the case on either side, full stop.

spwolf

From ZDnet

If I were a cynical person this is FUD about the current direction of Microsof

uh, so only 1.6 billion? You do realize that analysts know more than we do? In that 400 million difference you have Skype, Windows Phone, etc, etc... it is quite possible that Xbox lost extra 400million there but other parts pulled through.

Nevertheless, I dont see why we as customers should care if they lost some money or not... Microsoft is overall doing good, despite the slip with Windows 8.

unbias

This sounds accurate enough to believe. MS nor Sony seem to be able to control the amount of malinvestment and mismanagement that the industry seems to love.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom