• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anandtech: Tech analysis -- PS4 vs Xbox One, PS4/Xbox One's CPU performance

Binabik15

Many games on console cap the framerate at 30. So it's quite possible we'll still see that this gen. The easiest things developers could do would be better anti aliasing on PS4, or general post processing effects. You're not going to see night and day differences, but Digital Foundry comparisons should always come out in favor of the PS4, or the developer just didn't give a shit.

Minimum frames per second are just as important. If a game constantly dips below 30 on XBone and stays steady on PS4 the exeperience on PS4 is a whole lot better. This matters. See: multiplat games that continue to sell better on 360 because the PS3 version used to or still suffer from worse framerate.

The Jason

AnandTech said:
Sony gave the PS4 50% more raw shader performance, plain and simple (768 SPs @ 800MHz vs. 1152 SPs & 800MHz). We’ll have to wait and see how this hardware delta gets exposed in games over time, but the gap is definitely there.

The gap is there, and I'm sure it will be exposed by developers

Shayan

Banned
excellent article. But even after this, a few would argue that xone's system bandwidth is 170g/s? That is only available to that 32mb ESRAM

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
"Xbox One should enjoy better power/thermal characteristics compared to the PlayStation 4"
PS4 will be even bigger.

A part of me actually thinks it may be smaller.

Despite all these differences in PS4's favour, Sony's SoC is probably going to be smaller than MS's. The eSRAM is making MS's die bigger I think.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
With these piece of shit specs from both consoles, I'm more tempted than ever to jump into PC gaming. The gulf between PC and console has never been so wide, and the cost to build a beast of a PC never so low.

Damn those exclusive games.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
All that is confirmed is that they make really good looking trailers. No gameplay shown yet...maybe E3 ...and no details on resolutoin or framerate..probably becasuse its too early.

After an entire generation of forza disappointments, I don't trust anything but direct feed screen caps from Turn 10 games. These guys like their bullshottery and trickery too much.

The Jason

With these piece of shit specs from both consoles, I'm more tempted than ever to jump into PC gaming. The gulf between PC and console has never been so wide, and the cost to build a beast of a PC never so low.

The specs are not bad considering the optimization that goes into console games. Games will look impressive.

Clott

Well it's now obvious that Microsoft just wants a part of a new market, and thinks that the dedicated gamers will follow, and to a degree they are right, if they market it correctly no one will tell the difference.

Now this is where Sony comes in, they can reign fire from the skies if they can show the public their first party output, but also run a damn good ad campaign behind it all.

What surprises me is the Xbox One is supposed to be a system that thrives as the middle of the whole living room, but the PS4 still has more RAM bandwidth, so should have all the multimedia potential in the world, and more. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I hope we get to see a lot of direct-feed gameplay footage from both these consoles at E3 - I want to see what Forza 5 and DriveClub actually look like in-game.

Shayan

Banned

PS4 specs are very impressive for a closed end system. XONE isnt that bad either.

Sony's first party will make the PS4 shine like a diamond.

this

The Jason

They can up the tflops with 1000Mhz GPU instead of 800, we don't know.
I doub't it, buy Sony also could.

AnandTech doubts it too

AnandTech said:
Microsoft can’t make up the difference in clock speed alone (AMD’s GCN seems to top out around 1GHz on 28nm), and based on current leaks it looks like both MS and Sony are running their GPUs at the same 800MHz clock.

Guymelef

AnandTech doubts it too

I think the same.
But i read in another place that Microsoft says that XBOX One has eight times the graphic power of X360 and clocking Xbox One at 1000Mh match with the sentence.
But i think that is more marketing than a reality.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Seems to me like the approach that is gonna make the most sense for multiplatform titles is to initally target the XBO, get the game running nicely there, and then use the additional compute power and memory bandwidth of the PS4 to add some bells and whistles that really don't require any significant extra work (higher resolution, larger textures, better shadows, more particles, better draw-distance and LOD, smoother streaming in of new assets, better AA, etc - all stuff where you can basically just "turn the dial up" without having to create any new assets or anything). Going the other way (targeting the PS4 and then having to dial things down in order to deal with the limitations of the XBO) seems like it would take more work.

Of course, I hope devs will target the PS4 in order to really get the most out of it, but at least we'll have Sony's first party devs for that.

Rad-

It will be interesting when they announce prices. XO saves quite a bit with memory and GPU but then there's the new Kinect.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It will be interesting when they announce prices. XO saves quite a bit with memory and GPU but then there's the new Kinect.

Yeah, what does a Kinect cost today? The new one is clearly more expensive to make, so I doubt the XBO is gonna be significantly cheaper, if at all.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I don't mean this in a silly or snarky way, but how do the two compare to wii u?

To get really layman with this shit, PS4 is about a 4.5x to 5x jump from PS3, while WiiU is in the ballpark of 1.2x to 1.3x a PS3 being optimistic. Knock a .5 or .6 off the PS4 jump for XBONE and you're at least in some "vague sense" of this generations DBZ power levels.

RPGCrazied

Will this be a first that PS4 games look an run better than the xbox one does? Last generation the 360 pretty much ran all games better than the PS3.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The idea that Xbox One is 'better' for 'broader' stuff is nonsense. From a hardware point of view PS4's set up would do better with everything.

Maybe they mean to say that a broader agenda informed Xbox One's design - their other ambitions required them to hone in on 8GB of RAM much earlier than Sony, resulting in the DDR3+eSRAM choice.

But as far as how things ultimately worked out, those decisions don't make it 'better' for broader application.

moniker

Oh Neogaf.

Only you could take an in depth analysis and boil it down to a chart and one sentence.

PS4 MOAR POWAH!!!!!

What more is there to say? It has faster RAM and a beefier GPU. You'd have to be deep in denial to not see that the PS4 has more power.

pottuvoi

Banned
The x360 embedded memory bandwidth is quite silly in the comparison chart.
The speed is 256GB/s for ROPs and it cannot used by anything else, using 32GB/s figure is just silly.

.GqueB.

Banned
Sony are prepared. Shit just got real.

Are they? Seems MS is going for cheaper here and if that's the case and they sell more product then all the spec dominance in the world won't matter. Companies will generally go where the userbase is when it comes to these two.

Speaking about this on a very base level of course.

AColdDay

Can you smell that next gen wars in the air yet?

Ahh, how I missed thee!

I love how people are getting fired up! We all complain about the stupidity of console wars, but it is the stupidity of it that makes it so interesting. It is the reality television of gaming forums!

I'm so happy that we are re-entering the era where I can find outraged opinions and diatribes based on fuzzy assumptions instead of the general complacency we are currently mired in.

We have battle lines drawn and fire in our bellies again. It feels so good to be home!

well..... I guess you have to make up for bundling Kinect......

If this thing costs as much as PS4 but has worse graphical power I don't know what they're thinking. Because Kinect isn't the kind of thing that will appeal to the kind of people who will buy this day 1.

If it's cheaper, than it's all fine. Personally, I imagine it probably won't be, and they'll struggle if they don't have the games lineup.

jett

D-Member
If PS4 didn't come with a camera as well I'd be certain it'd be cheaper or equally priced than the X1. But who knows. I still anticipate both consoles to be priced at $499.

OMG people are already starting to aggregate the bandwidth.... I guess mission accomplished by MS

dothemath.jpg

DO THE MATH!

Wynnebeck

Banned
Are they? Seems MS is going for cheaper here and if that's the case and they sell more product then all the spec dominance in the world won't matter. Companies will generally go where the userbase is when it comes to these two.

We have no idea what price range these consoles are going to be at but PS4 doesn't have to worry about exotic tech and their own fabrication facilities so there is no way PS4 will be anywhere in the ballpark of the infamous $599. If Sony prices PS4 at a strategic amount, it could put pressure on MS with XB1 especially after they already said they are not trying the subsidizing model.

Ty4on

I dont expect either forza or driveclub to run @60fps.

both will be 1080p @ 30fps...as will most games next gen.

T10 will never make a 30fps Forza again unless something straaaaaaange happens.
I mean look at what they did to the poor smoke to make the game 60fps.
BTPgtXE.gif

It ain't gonna be cheaper when they all comes with that new Kinect crap.

Brashnir

The idea that Xbox One is 'better' for 'broader' stuff is nonsense. From a hardware point of view PS4's set up would do better with everything.

Maybe they mean to say that a broader agenda informed Xbox One's design - their other ambitions required them to hone in on 8GB of RAM much earlier than Sony, resulting in the DDR3+eSRAM choice.

But as far as how things ultimately worked out, those decisions don't make it 'better' for broader application.

From a computational hardware perspective, this is absolutely correct.

From a software and OS integration perspective, MS probably has an advantage, but that is completely independent from the hardware.

Top Bottom