• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ancel: Beyond Good & Evil 2 not unveiling at E3, but hoping to unveil this year

Shiggy

Michel Ancel was talking about it long before the rumor started (links in French):
February 2016: "Michel Ancel talks about BG&E2 in Double Fine's Devs Play"
November 2015: "Yves Guillemot reconfirms BG&E2"
November 2015: "Michel Ancel teases BG&E2 in Rayman livestream"
September 2015: "Michel Ancel: News about my big Ubisoft project soon"
Before that, there was a false rumor about it being playtested too, and one about Michel Ancel leaving the project. Both were probably based on the fact that Ancel mentioned (back in 2014) that BG&E2 had a troubled development, with some tech not being ready yet, and that was why he was taking "vacation" working on Rayman. The Switch rumor is based on that too, most likely.

BG&E2 was put on hold in 2009. All footage that we've seen so far is from that prototype. Devs from that (small team) were put on other games and Montpellier focused on Tintin and Rabbids Go Home. Ancel then went to make Rayman Origins and Legends with Montpellier. After that was finished, he started with WiLD and apparently worked a bit on BG&E2 concepts.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Well, if people are working on it behind the scenes in order to pitch it to the higher ups, then it could be considered "active" development. When the higher ups greenlit it we started seeing art and the like, so there was stuff going on behind the scenes. Maybe they finally found a plan that they figured worked for the overall project and started to put real money behind it.

Releasing in December 2017 is still 2017, and maybe at that time they figured they could make late 2017, but later figured it wasn't going to happen...or the budget or the scope changed. Either way, we have no idea what was going on behind closed doors, but if you've been following development of just about any game, you'll know that release dates are set well in advance with lofty goals of releasing at some target time it has no chance of hitting. Just look at Red Dead 2 as a more recent example.

Even being overly generous and assuming that to be the accurate definition here, the game wasn't going to go from being pitched, or even pre-production, or even alpha to gold in a matter of months. And, again, I'm aware of how tumultuous game development can be. I'm just not seeing a compelling reason to believe that's relevant within the context of Dale's rumour.

I don't think we can say whether she's right or wrong at this point because the game itself hasn't been officially announced.

Of course. I've neither said nor implied the rumour as a whole is objectively false. I just agreed with Nirolak that the odds aren't looking good and explained why I "place zero stock in [it] myself". Emphasis on "myself". ;)

EDarkness

Even being overly generous and assuming that to be the accurate definition here, the game wasn't going to go from being pitched, or even pre-production, or even alpha to gold in a matter of months. And, again, I'm aware of how tumultuous game development can be. I'm just not seeing a compelling reason to believe that's relevant within the context of Dale's rumour.

I don't see how she's wrong or right considering we don't know the details yet. Once the game is announced and/or we get more information from other sources, then I don't think we know enough to say one way or another. May seem like I'm defending her position, but based on what I know about game development and hell, my own game, I can definitely see how they'd figure they could release the game late 2017. I thought my game would have been out years ago, but here I am still chuggin' away at the code. If the budget or scope changed, then that would affect when they thought they could release the game.

JaseC

I don't see how she's wrong or right considering we don't know the details yet.

Not to be rude, but, once again, I'm not saying she's wrong, just that I myself am thoroughly unconvinced. If you feel differently, that's fine, because nor am I trying to convince you that where I stand is the right place to be.

BG&E2 seems much closer to reality than it did a year ago, given how openly Ancel has been talking about it again, at least with the French media, as in the piece Le Monde ran about him last November (thread).

Regardless, good to know now that I shouldn't expect a reveal, as it leaves me with no reason to follow Ubisoft's proceedings at E3 this year. (Mildly curious about Rabbids Kingdom Battle, but I assume they'll be holding steady with their PR plan for it despite all the leaks, and that it will show up in Nintendo's presentation rather than their own.)

oti

Banned
To me this reads like a confirmation that it won't be at E3. Guillemot won't force Ancel to show it at E3, but I'm sure he asked him to. This could've been a great "one last thing". Too bad.

EDarkness

Not to be rude, but, once again, I'm not saying she's wrong, just that I myself am thoroughly unconvinced. If you feel differently, that's fine, because nor am I trying to convince you that where I stand is the right place to be.

Sorry, I missed your last post. Still, nothing wrong with being skeptical. Keeps everyone on top of things. I'm just waiting for the shoe to drop and enjoy the speculating in the meantime. At least we know now the game is coming. We just don't know the form or the platforms.

Day one no matter what don't give a shit fell in love with the universe of the first game and felt it ended way too early before could get into it even more

And really a nice technical marvel on 6th Gen for sure

Wasn't this a PS3 game? Lol.
I thought they canceled it.

It's the only Ubisoft IP I even remotely care about, so I'll be glad whenever it comes out. However if it doesn't, I'm okay with that too.

The only Zelda formula wouldn't be exactly groundbreaking, and I don't know what replacement gameplay they'd make instead. Either way, they have a lot of hype to fight through, with probably ridiculously high expectations.
If it's too much like the first, there's a risk it could be archaic.
If it's too different, people might reject it because differences are scary.

This is going to be interesting. They can make so many Assassin's Creed games, but can't even get 2 of these out. They've rebooted PoP twice in my memory.
If it's taking this long, it's probably because enough important people really don't want it to get made.

Parmenide

Wait, wait, wait, I don't want to go OT but what's up with the Bloodborne puppet? Was Ancel even related to it? I don't think so.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Just show me more WiLD gameplay and we're good.
Cause we all know BG&E2 ain't coming till mid generation, next generation.

JaseC

At least we know now the game is coming.

Which we can all agree is all that matters at the end of the day. I mean, even should the game be announced as a Bayonetta 2esque Switch exclusive, at least it'll exist a tangible form. Better inordinately late and restricted to one system than nothing at all.

Top Bottom