• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew House: PS Vita a 'legacy platform' outside of Japan and Asia

That's... Really terrible. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised considering it's the Eshop, but still.

There's some real bad revisionist history with the psp going on here. It sold 17 million in the U.S. alone out of a total of 80 million units. The PSP didn't beat the DS, but it was still one of the best selling portables of all time.

PSP would have done so much better if it wasn't for piracy.

NolbertoS

There's some real bad revisionist history with the psp going on here. It sold 17 million in the U.S. alone out of a total of 80 million units. The PSP didn't beat the DS, but it was still one of the best selling portables of all time.

Yeah and how many of those PSP's were bought because of custom firmware exploit. I wasn't gonna go there but PSP games sold low and poorly, and again publishers were wary of that and some probably told Sony that they won't release anymore titles for the Vita until sales picked up and piracy was minimized. Piracy tarnished the PSP and carried another weight around the Vita's neck.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
They jumped from one hole into another. Piracy to overpriced proprietary memory card.

Compared to every non-portable Nintendo device, the PSP was a massive success but compared to the DS, it failed pretty miserably, particularly on the software front.

I worked in retail during the height of the PSP and DS and during one holiday season, the Hannah Montana DS game sold significantly more units than the entire PSP library. And there were multiple DS games that year that sold much better than that title.

That being said, my love for the PSP was very strong. It had a great library.

QaaQer

Yeah and how many of those PSP's were bought because of custom firmware exploit. I wasn't gonna go there but PSP games sold low and poorly, and again publishers were wary of that and some probably told Sony that they won't release anymore titles for the Vita until sales picked up and piracy was minimized. Piracy tarnished the PSP and carried another weight around the Vita's neck.

So r4 is the reason 3ds< DS?

The Vita didn't fail because the psp poisoned the well somehow. PSP was, by any metric, a successful platform with tens of millions of satisfied customers and a lot of software sales.

I hope in a year or two, Sony unveils a successor that shows they've learned from the Vita, instead of just ditching a portable altogether. I don't want a handheld-less future. Someone should get started on that portable Steam Machine concept already.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I hope in a year or two, Sony unveils a successor that shows they've learned from the Vita, instead of just ditching a portable altogether. I don't want a handheld-less future. Someone should get started on that portable Steam Machine concept already.
The Steamboy has already been announced. Whether it actually becomes a real product that gets released remains to be seen.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Those who are praising SCEA and sony bosses for killing vita clearly don't understand that killing vita is not the solution, but the cause of the this situation.

Read the situation neutrally, vita will never be mainstream but at the same time is too strong to die, why that? Simple, because of scea that decided to kill vita AT LAUNCH, whoever says the opposite clearly doesn't know what is talking about, while SCEJA and SCEE supported it well.

Now i'm not saying that a company opens a subsidiary expecting it to do its best to support its products, i guess it would have been too hard for scea's heads :p in fact i'm not saying that scea should have done first party games or got third parties and i'm not even asking for marketing, i understand that scea didn't want to spend money on something they didn't believe on, but what the hell there are millions of people that do youtube video without spending a single cent and scea didn't even care to do a decent show reel of the many upcoming vita games at the various E3s!

Probably it wouldn't have been enough to make Vita successful but it would have been enough to make the big public aware of what vita really had, sales would have been a little better and the situation would have been better for both gamers and sony, instead scea left lots of possible costumers in the hands of haters and their lies creating negativity around vita that convinced many people to not buy vita, after all with no marketing and no e3 shows why people should believe that vita has games?

Darius

Banned
Sad that just because some can´t handle Sonys deliberate decision, this thread was derailed into a typical system wars thread. If you are happy regardles fine, but the usual animosity towards its competition, which actually gets actual 1st party support, makes you look really desperate.

Since in this thread there seems to be the narrative that it´s doing great in Japan, just to clarify the recent situation over there, even in Japan PSV is starting to sell bad. Like ~10k/week bad and there´s even the slight possibilty it gets to sub 10k/week.

Bashtee

It's a shame the Vita bombed so hard. Easily the best handheld from a technical point of view. However, there wasn't much Sony could do. They simply didn't have the same IP lineup as Nintendo. No Monster Hunter, Pokemon, Yokai Watch or Mario/Zelda-like games.

And that is exactly why they went for indies. No one cares about Sony's AAA output on the Vita. I'm glad that we get a lot of indies with crossbuy with the PS4, though. This is so good on so many levels.

KyleCross

Honestly, did Sony even try with the Vita? It really doesn't seem like it. It's like they did one push for when it first came out with advertising and some big games, but then said "Fuck it" before anyone really had a chance to buy one.

Honestly, did Sony even try with the Vita? It really doesn't seem like it. It's like they did one push for when it first came out with advertising and some big games, but then said "Fuck it" before anyone really had a chance to buy one.

The writing was on the wall for along time. Everyone says Sony didn't try, but they really did. The produced new and expensive original games for the system, and they barely sold, they got huge third parties to try and make games, and those also barely sold. The system wasn't moving at retail either despite ads. At that point you can either keep throwing money down a whole or abandon ship, and they abandoned ship pretty early on.

A friend asked me how I'd describe the Vita, and honestly, it feels like a zombie console. One that's creator has long abandoned it to die, yet still shuffles on due to the will of others. If it wasn't so indie friendly though the thing would have been dead and buried long ago.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
It's too bad they lacked the patience to deal with the losses. I recall the DS wasn't doing so hot in the beginning either, but the software came and people's minds changed. I really don't know what they were expecting when so few quality games that needed to be on Vita were released. I'm sorry, but your indie games I already have on another console, I don't need Vita for that.

SgtCobra

You're gonna be disappointed then because I and a lot of others can tell you it's not happening. There is no place for a dedicated handheld in this market, Sony did good on ditching the Vita (from their perspective) as there is so little to gain from making the effort of not having a catastrophically selling handheld (WW)
Even Nintendo is just doing ok at best in the west, can't imagine what Sony would do next generation with another handheld.

It's too bad they lacked the patience to deal with the losses. I recall the DS wasn't doing so hot in the beginning either, but the software came and people's minds changed. I really don't know what they were expecting when so few quality games that needed to be on Vita were released. I'm sorry, but your indie games I already have on another console, I don't need Vita for that.

Not patience, resources. SCEA had a 360 that was a juggernaut and a PS3 with downports from the 360 that barely maintained 30FPS. Nintendo needed the DS. Sony needed the PS3. Nintendo did not need the WiiU. Sony did not need the Vita. Simple logic.

You're gonna be disappointed then because I and a lot of others can tell you it's not happening. There is no place for a dedicated handheld in this market, Sony did good on ditching the Vita (from their perspective) as there is so little to gain from making the effort of not having a catastrophically selling handheld (WW)
Even Nintendo is just doing ok at best in the west, can't imagine what Sony would do next generation with another handheld.

I'd seriously disagree with the idea that there's no place for handhelds in this market. I think the main problems with the Vita were cost, proprietary technology, and a visible lack of support.

The Vita was basically a $350 base investment when it launched, between the system, memory card, a game, and tax. That's a steep price to ask for anything, much less a secondary gaming device. The price of memory cards was also so high because they were proprietary, which was a decent effort on Sony's part to prevent the rampant piracy on PSP from repeating itself, but it obviously had its flaws. Between that and the weird charger that was fixed with the Vita 2000, it didn't exactly lead to glowing reviews. And topping that with the fact that Sony's been largely ignoring the system since it launched, it's easy to see why it didn't do too well.

Now if Sony were to release a new handheld in a few years, work with someone like Nvidia and get the newest Tegra chipset in the system, they could have a powerful, yet not too expensive device comprised of parts for mobile phones, but with dedicated controls and a solid form factor, use MicroSD for storage, and use USB type C for charging/data sync. Using Tegra would also be beneficial because they wouldn't be dumping a lot of time and money into R&D to develop their own chipset.

The only thing left to do is get games on it, and Sony could easily do that by working with the indies and small studios they have close ties to, and find developers interested in remaking or continuing franchises they own but aren't doing anything with, whether they're old PSP franchises (Patapon, LocoRoco), or from the PS1/2 (PaRappa, Jak and Daxter, MediEvil). Sony doesn't need to put much of their own man-power into the device, as long as it gets PlayStation games.

Something like that would definitely catch on more than the Vita, and could actually be a viable platform outside of Japan, if marketed correctly. The Vita's failure is on nobody but Sony, and they're the only ones that could keep this from happening again. Fans of the platform have been so vocal about how good it is, and indie devs have kept it afloat while Sony's done absolutely nothing for it on the software side.

Just let me dream.

I want it too. Being able to play my older PC games on the go? That's a dream come true.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Off topic but is the vita making a profit for every unit sold?

Not sure, but what's with the whole write-off of the Vita components, I doubt so.

Sony also initially stated that they hope to be profitable with the Vita within 3 years , but since then, the Vita has been failing to meet their sales projection.

Raggie

*shrug* My Vita backlog is going to keep me playing for a good long while yet. I wouldn't regret the purchase even if they'd stop selling Vita games right now.

Tearaway was fantastic and Persona 4 is the best JRPG ever, but the AAA offerings didn't sell me hardware anyway.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
*shrug* My Vita backlog is going to keep me playing for a good long while yet. I wouldn't regret the purchase even if they'd stop selling Vita games right now.

Tearaway was fantastic and Persona 4 is the best JRPG ever, but the AAA offerings didn't sell me hardware anyway.
AAA offerings sold me on the Vita. Indies kept me on the Vita.

Sarcasm

O.O

Pirating was just as rampant with the DS/DSI....

Dunan

I bought my Vita on Day One, December 17, 2011, and have loved it the entire time. Even if it becomes a Japan-centric thing, as long as those games get translated, Vita buffs in the West should be OK. And it's definitely worth having one for Remote Play on the PS4. (Has anyone compared that with Xperia Remote Play? Which is better?) And there's the possibility of a "long tail" as PS2 classics get remastered.

I love Persona 4, I love Wipeout 2049, I totally love Gravity Rush, and I'm looking forward to Ar Nosurge. It also makes for an amazing portable PS1 . La Vita non e morte just yet, folks.

Sony should make an Xperia phone based off the PSP-GO design. As in a slider that reveals controls. Will play android games but more powerful than the vita for devs to develop proper games for it. Thus elimating have two mobile devices, your phone, and your handheld. I know they have tried it before but with phones getting bigger, and being bigger is generally acceptable right now, I don't see how they can't just make a mobile in the xperia brand that can also play playstation games back catalogue and also be powerful enough for at least indies to develop on in the near future.

That's something I wouldn't mind them doing. As I absolutely love their Xperia phone brand anyway. Best phone I've had in years.

Qwark

O.O

Pirating was just as rampant with the DS/DSI....

No, it really wasn't. The fact that you had to buy an additional item means it was never going to be as rampant on the DS. I think people are dramatizing the PSP piracy scene though, it was bad but not that bad.

Sarcasm

And I think we are underestimating the pirating on DS. The stuff you had to buy was cheap lol.

And you could get it locally.

Also what is this western games? I honestly don't sit looking through lists for western games or who made what (cause honestly I don't even pay attention to that). Not def going through that vita list or a 3ds list.

Really going to base off something like western games? Only thing I can think of is Fallout 3, NV and Skyboring.

While it stinks for users outside of Japan and Asia, its a smart move. The platform wasn't doing well and it would make more sense to invest in PS4 games, services, and Morpheus.

Prelude.

Why? Most are rightfully calling it BS PR speak.
Because that's not what he said? Do you think that they'd actually bother to release the PSTV in the west if it takes less than a year to consider it legacy? And yes, it is PR, everything that comes from the mouth of an exec is PR, it's obvious they don't care but legacy means a different thing.

Dunan

Sony should make an Xperia phone based off the PSP-GO design. As in a slider that reveals controls. Will play android games but more powerful than the vita for devs to develop proper games for it.

I just got an Xperia phone and was looking into getting one of those controller-attaching things; is that fun to play? And can you stream to your phone using data from your mobile phone contract? I would love to make Remote Play truly Remote.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Sony should make an Xperia phone based off the PSP-GO design. As in a slider that reveals controls. Will play android games but more powerful than the vita for devs to develop proper games for it. Thus elimating have two mobile devices, your phone, and your handheld. I know they have tried it before but with phones getting bigger, and being bigger is generally acceptable right now, I don't see how they can't just make a mobile in the xperia brand that can also play playstation games back catalogue and also be powerful enough for at least indies to develop on in the near future.

That's something I wouldn't mind them doing. As I absolutely love their Xperia phone brand anyway. Best phone I've had in years.
I've been saying this for ages. They need to make a phone/Vita hybrid. It should have an Android OS AND the Vita OS. Android games, remote play, PS Now and the Vita/PSP/PS1 library. All on a phone with built in controls. Straight up call it the PlayStation Phone too.

diffusionx

Gold Member

First off, they did try that years ago, and it went nowhere. It was this thing:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/26/sony-ericsson-xperia-play-playstation-phone-preview/

The problem from a business side is that developers can either target the tiny portion of people who own this thing or the vast cell phone market in general. And only a small fraction of people actually care about physical controls.

Today's cell phones are far more powerful than the Vita and have a nice lineup of developers. I mean, on iOS, I have adventure games, X-COM, Telltale titles, etc. It seems like people have figured this stuff out without PlayStation.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
First off, they did try that years ago, and it went nowhere. It was this thing:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/26/sony-ericsson-xperia-play-playstation-phone-preview/

The problem from a business side is that developers can either target the tiny portion of people who own this thing or the vast cell phone market in general. And only a small fraction of people actually care about physical controls.

Today's cell phones are far more powerful than the Vita and have a nice lineup of developers. I mean, on iOS, I have adventure games, X-COM, Telltale titles, etc. It seems like people have figured this stuff out without PlayStation.
Xperia Play was an interesting but flawed concept. It deserves another go. Give it the Vita OS as well as Android. Remote play, PS Now, Android and Vita games on a phone. I think it could have an audience if done right.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Xperia Play was an interesting but flawed concept. It deserves another go. Give it the Vita OS as well as Android. Remote play, PS Now, Android and Vita games on a phone. I think it could have an audience if done right.

Why would a new developer write a game for the Vita OS if they can write it for Android, put it on Google Play, and target an audience that is at least 10x larger? Even if the Vita Phone is a big hit, its still a drop in the bucket compared to the overall cell phone market.

I don't think it would be a big hit though. I see no evidence that people actually care about physical controls for their mobile games.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Why would a new developer write a game for the Vita OS if they can write it for Android, put it on Google Play, and target an audience that is at least 10x larger? Even if the Vita Phone is a big hit, its still a drop in the bucket compared to the overall cell phone market.

I don't think it would be a big hit though. I see no evidence that people actually care about physical controls for their mobile games.
They wouldn't. But the phone I have in mind would get that game anyway. And have the existing Vita library in addition. On one device.

Lebneney

Banned
The Vita's issue was that the memory card prices are so steep. In comparison to the New Nintendo 3DS, which uses MicroSD, you would pay up to $200 (3DS) + $35 (32 gb microSD not on sale) = $235 in comparison if you bought a Vita, you would pay $200 (Vita V2) + $100 (32 gb proprietary Vita memory card) = $300. I mean come on, we are not made out of money. I wish the Vita started off as cheap as the PSP and had a bit more value. That said, I always use my Vita for PS4 streaming and for that glorious OlliOlli and OlliOlli2. I feel really sad that the Vita is becoming a legacy item, I've helped all that I can, I bought a Vita V1 and a Vita TV... maybe I should have bought a Vita V2 to somehow save it from its inevitable fate.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
No, it really wasn't. The fact that you had to buy an additional item means it was never going to be as rampant on the DS. I think people are dramatizing the PSP piracy scene though, it was bad but not that bad.

...You are wildly underestimating just how common the R4 and other devices of its ilk were. Plenty of places in the world sold the DS bundled with the thing. DS piracy was much bigger than PSP piracy.

VLiberty

False. PSP software sales are in line with every other handheld bar the Ds.

Unfortunately, PSP's reputation has been crippled by false myths, like this, that people often said without actually getting informed about it.
I've got good news for you. X86 tablets can run PC games, and you can either hook a controller or something like iPega

Top Bottom