• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew House: PS Vita a 'legacy platform' outside of Japan and Asia

Mikado

39ETD0u.jpg

Comes as a surprise to no one I guess.

Doubt we'll see the likes of it again.

4lejandro

I love my vita and I'm comfortable with it for indies and ports of older games. Lets hope that the mod scene can open the console completely in time for the end of official support.

Qwark

...You are wildly underestimating just how common the R4 and other devices of its ilk were. Plenty of places in the world sold the DS bundled with the thing. DS piracy was much bigger than PSP piracy.

And plenty of places sold hacked PSP's with games loaded on it. I think you're overestimating how many people even knew either device could be hacked. Realistically, most consumers worldwide did/do not have access to bootleg markets as seen in China or South America.

Edit: But to explain why I think PSP had higher piracy rates, in addition to not requiring any additional hardware for PSP, look at the demographics. The DS demographic is very large, ranging from young kids to old adults. The PSP, in contrast, is centered more in the teen to mid-adult demographic. Which do you think is more likely to have the skills and knowledge required? I doubt realistic researched numbers exist for this topic.

Ponn

Banned
Portable dedicated substitution of stationary dedicated mitigates the degree of convergent mobile substitution of portable dedicated.

Eh I feel that is a shaky argument, alot like consoles are dead in Japan. I think its a factor sure but still with mobile being so big in Japan and support by game companies over there even more so than here in the west why aren't they just going full mobile then? I feel its too nuanced of a situation to just say absolutely its mobile's fault and that's that. In fact I will admit i'm wrong in saying its entirely Sony's fault but I would say we will never know for sure because they dropped it like a hot potato almost before it even got out the door. They had their games they were already developing before hand and once those were finished they completely washed their hands of it.

VLiberty

Numbers please? Or it won't even be a discussion worth having.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/hard_soft/
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=641143

From the first link:
DS: 946 million units of software sold on an install base of 154 millions.
GBA: 377mlns/81mlns
GB: 501mlns/118mlns
3DS: 225mlns/52mlns

From the second link:
PSP: 330mlns/76mlns

Let's do some math. DS had an attach rate of 6,14, as I said, exceptionally good for a handheld. In fact, the attach rates for the other systems are respectively:

GBA: 4,65
GB: 4,24
3DS: 4,32
PSP: 4,34

PSP software sold like shit? It's more like handhelds software sells like shit, PSP was just in line with the other handhelds, as you can see.

And that's most likely not even counting the PSN software sales, which obviously aren't a thing on GB, GBA and the vast majority of the DSs around.

And by the way, if you make such statements as "PSP software sold like shit" you should be the first to provide numbers.

riotous

Banned
Sony has supported the vita with the market that actually bought the device exceptionally well. It has created a port studio just to port shit that annoying and obsessive people like to the platform, like borderlands 2, one of the worst games ever created.

I love the Borderlands series and the BL2 port / bundle is one of the reasons I bought a Vita.

Not sure why you feel the need to proclaim that Borderlands 2 is one of the worst games ever created and is championed by "annoying" people.

I do agree with the idea that Sony doing ports is a decent support of Vita; it's mainly what I want out of the device. A portable experience for games I know I enjoy.

I don't really want original games for the Vita as I'd rather have the choice to play those same games on PS4/PC.

I also enjoy my Wii-U and my 3DS.. and I'm no child or manbaby. What an incredibly rude and insulting post.

jmdajr

Even with all those PS+ games, I still can't convince myself to buy one because of that dumb ass memory card.

They'll discontinue the Vita before they ever sell those things at SD prices.

Just a thought on memory card prices: once Vita is formally discontinued *whenever*, they'll also stop producing memory cards which are exclusive to the system. What happens then? Is it possible for firmware to allow the usage of SD cards?

Just a thought on memory card prices: once Vita is formally discontinued *whenever*, they'll also stop producing memory cards which are exclusive to the system. What happens then? Is it possible for firmware to allow the usage of SD cards?
Probably, but only now is there a concerted effort at creating a Vita SDK for homebrew/CFW developers.

You'd also need an adapter dongle, but theoretically anyone with a good 3D printer could make them.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Because that's not what he said? Do you think that they'd actually bother to release the PSTV in the west if it takes less than a year to consider it legacy? And yes, it is PR, everything that comes from the mouth of an exec is PR, it's obvious they don't care but legacy means a different thing.

Why not? They bothered to release it then proceeded to ignore it at several E3.

Game Guru

Eh I feel that is a shaky argument, alot like consoles are dead in Japan. I think its a factor sure but still with mobile being so big in Japan and support by game companies over there even more so than here in the west why aren't they just going full mobile then? I feel its too nuanced of a situation to just say absolutely its mobile's fault and that's that. In fact I will admit i'm wrong in saying its entirely Sony's fault but I would say we will never know for sure because they dropped it like a hot potato almost before it even got out the door. They had their games they were already developing before hand and once those were finished they completely washed their hands of it.

Well, there are a number of reasons... First off, there are some companies who just don't do well on mobile and companies who just want to diversify their support. Even in the mobile market, there are winners and there are losers. Companies that see some success in consoles and handhelds will continue to support them even if that success comes mostly from outside Japan and even if mobile is so much more successful.

In addition, it is hard to ignore the PS4's international success. I mean, it has been out for about a year and a half and it is already up to 2/5s of the 3DS's sales which has been out for five years and Vita's sales don't add much more to that. Look at the worldwide sales of both compared to the Japanese sales of both. Nintendo handhelds actually appear to have a future, even if it is a future catering to a specific niche, while Vita is practically a regional system for Japan. Again look at the sales... In just Japan, the PS4 has 3/8 of Vita's sales and is currently selling around the same level the Vita currently is. Gaming in Japan has basically three options for the future: Go mobile and pretty much compete with every other Japanese publisher and developer as well as publishers and developers from around the world in a blue ocean that's quickly turning red, support Nintendo's handhelds and hope that Nintendo's niche holds or gets better, or support PlayStation consoles and hope the international market buys the games. This likely also explains why PS4 is seeing all these PS3 and Vita ports from Japanese developers. Both the PS3 and Vita are living on borrowed time, both are dead outside of Japan, and Vita will not have a successor. Thus, we are pretty much the entirety of what's left of the Japanese developers on PlayStation systems trying to push Japanese gamers onto the PS4 while depending on sales from the international market because their options otherwise are literally to support Nintendo's niche or to go mobile.

i-Jest

Well, there are a number of reasons... First off, there are some companies who just don't do well on mobile and companies who just want to diversify their support. Even in the mobile market, there are winners and there are losers. Companies that see some success in consoles and handhelds will continue to support them even if that success comes mostly from outside Japan and even if mobile is so much more successful.

In addition, it is hard to ignore the PS4's international success. I mean, it has been out for about a year and a half and it is already up to 2/5s of the 3DS's sales which has been out for five years and Vita's sales don't add much more to that. Look at the worldwide sales of both compared to the Japanese sales of both. Nintendo handhelds actually appear to have a future, even if it is a future catering to a specific niche, while Vita is practically a regional system for Japan. Again look at the sales... In just Japan, the PS4 has 3/8 of Vita's sales and is currently selling around the same level the Vita currently is. Gaming in Japan has basically three options for the future: Go mobile and pretty much compete with every other Japanese publisher and developer as well as publishers and developers from around the world in a blue ocean that's quickly turning red, support Nintendo's handhelds and hope that Nintendo's niche holds or gets better, or support PlayStation consoles and hope the international market buys the games. This likely also explains why PS4 is seeing all these PS3 and Vita ports from Japanese developers. Both the PS3 and Vita are living on borrowed time, both are dead outside of Japan, and Vita will not have a successor. Thus, we are pretty much the entirety of what's left of the Japanese developers on PlayStation systems trying to push Japanese gamers onto the PS4 while depending on sales from the international market because their options otherwise are literally to support Nintendo's niche or to go mobile.

I like your explanation Game Guru.

Top Bottom