• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew House: PS4 sold through 2.1 million units worldwide as of 12/1, 700K in EU/AU

Nice! I was one of those 2.1 million.

I think PS4 and XB1 will be reasonably close in November's NPD (close being within 20% maybe?). But, we'll have to see.

Madness

Also shows the strength of NA as a market. I mean 1 million+ in less than 24 hours. And this is the market they needed to recapture after Xbox 360 dominance last gen. Good job Sony. They've essentially gained all lost ground in USA/Canada in a sense and will only stay high.

Will be interesting to see how the gen shapes up.

grkazan12

Good gawwd at those numbers.

I was wondering, how and when did Sony gain such a huge stronghold in Europe? Did it start with the first Playstation?

Endo Punk

Also shows the strength of NA as a market. I mean 1 million+ in less than 24 hours. And this is the market they needed to recapture after Xbox 360 dominance last gen. Good job Sony. They've essentially gained all lost ground in USA/Canada in a sense and will only stay high.

Will be interesting to see how the gen shapes up.

Sony allowed MS to take the NA market from them and now MS is returning the favor. Full circle.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Not entirely.

Wii U did sell 3.09 million units between November 18th 2012 and December 31st 2012. It's after that in which Nintendo faltered and Sony may still, we just don't know yet. It won't be until March/April if we see that this does have the staying power we hope it does.

That's a lie. The Wii U didn't sale that many in those 6 weeks.

vcc

What? Packaging, transport and retail markup surely do... (and that's just from the top of my head)

There may also be higher prices for acquiring components they haven't contracted for. They likely represent a huge part of the demand for GDDR5 so acquiring more might up the price in general.

IIRC MS had 700k for NA on the 22nd - making another 500k available only 7 days later seems a little bit unlikely...

If MS didn't allocate at least 1/2 to 3/4 of their stock for USA's biggest spending week, it would defeat the purpose of the limited "tier one" launch entirely.

apana

I think it will go well north of 100 million lifetime sales. Gaming sales are increasingly front loaded but I am not sure if that trend will apply to the consoles themselves. There is a lot of pent up hardcore demand but I think it will eventually translate to everyone else just like PS2 did. Hopefully Sony secures some third party exclusives for the system.

crinale

Exactly a year ago some people were speculating whether Sony could really launch PS4 successfully.
Hell, some were even doubting PS4 would ever become reality.

GOWsales.jpg

GoW 3 was 5M. Ascension didn't do that well, but neither did Judgement, both are around 1M. Those are the flukes in my mind, no reason to assume that if the install base is there it won't hit those numbers again.

Addressed in later posts already.

More bullshit. Halo 4 was in the 4-5M range, which means Uncharted and God of War, and not close to GT.

What? Halo 4 is 8+ million. He's not right with his statement either, but he's closer than you are. Christ, even ODST is above GoW levels.

Lol. GOW 3 sold over 5 million.

Addressed in later posts already.

And lol at the dead part.

?

It's true. By the end of III Kratos
killed every god including Zeus and was, more or less, dead himself. People are tired of his constant moodiness, and there is no more reason for it either.
Where does the story go from there? More prequels? We've seen where that road leads. Trying to make up some reason for Kratos to soldier on? Difficult and unlikely. Change lead character? Perhaps, but then people will be pissed. This is a story dead end. Not insurmountable but difficult to surmount.

Crisco

Banned
Seems like there was a lot of pent up demand. This is a good thing, and will probably lead to a shorter console generation. I wouldn't be surprised if we get a new Playstation in 4-5 years, especially if they stick to x86 parts.

Freki

If MS didn't allocate at least 1/2 to 3/4 of their stock for USA's biggest spending week, it would defeat the purpose of the limited "tier one" launch entirely.

I honestly don't know - it's a mixture of speculation and educated guesses on my part. November NPD will put this all to rest though ;-)

gtj1092

500k on black Friday is pretty conservative if they had the stock.

Why wouldn't they ship them at launch then a week earlier. I know the Xone had more units available on black friday than Ps4 but it wasn't like there were tons of Xone's just that there were more. I think the biggest gap I saw in the Black friday thread was like 48-12 at one store. I'm sure the Ps3, X360 and 2DS were all over 500K and had much more than 48 units in each store.

GenericUser

I am glad that conscious business decisions and goot tech made the way into consumer hearts. Congratulations sony, the king is back!

Triple U

Banned
What? Packaging, transport and retail markup surely do... (and that's just from the top of my head)
Transport certainly is certainly bulk, packaging is probably procured in bulk too.
There may also be higher prices for acquiring components they haven't contracted for. They likely represent a huge part of the demand for GDDR5 so acquiring more might up the price in general.

Naw, Nvidia and AMD each ship upwards of 12m GPUs a quarter. A great percentage of those are GDDR5.

Sony can easily ship 3.5+million PS4 by the end of 2013.

The question is if MS is able to ship more than 3million Xbox One by the end of 2013.

For the record, Wii U was shipped 3.06millions by the end of 2012 with no next-gen console competitions, less expensive price and more launched countries.

If X1 < Wii U, then the trouble will be huge for MS.

Wii U launched well. That wasn't the problem.

Shipped about 5.2 million by 2012 according to Sony. I can accept that as 5+ million sold for one of the games in the series, though not really "easily." So I stand corrected on that one point.

Uncharted is about Gears level, Gran Turismo is above Halo. The only Halo that outsold GT5 was Halo 3, all the other ones don't come close. I don't where this misconception that Xbox Exclusives sell better comes from. My guess is that there's so few 360 exclusive that it creates the illusion of higher sales. Halo and Gears sell very well. Forza does okay (great for bundles), Fable hasn't been doing all too hot. I believe Dance Central has also done pretty alright, but really, outside of Halo, MS' games sell pretty much on par with Sony's big games (and even Halo has it's match with GT).

There are other costs other than manufacturing the console itself. I believe they make profit if a customer purchases software with the console.

I would produce as many as the factories could churn out until Walmart called me up and told me they are running out of room on the sales floor to stack them.

Again, Cot Damn!

Seems like the Return of the King prophecy was true.

It will be interesting to see IPs gravitating to the PS4 once the inevitably massive install base asserts itself a bit more.

vcc

Naw, Nvidia and AMD each ship upwards of 12m GPUs a quarter. A great percentage of those are GDDR5.

Most cards will ship with 1-2 gb. The PS4 ships with 8gb. 2m PS4s is the equivalent to 8m value videocards. In this last quarter Sony represents up to a third of the demand?

That's a lie. The Wii U didn't sale that many in those 6 weeks.

Maybe he meant shipped? I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo managed to stuff the channel since it was a new console during the holiday season. It tanked spectacularly, so much so that some of those consoles are still probably on store shelves. Hell Europe shipped 20K consoles back to Nintendo last quarter, and i've never heard of a console shipping negative numbers in a major region.

vcc

And that's the only reason I care about sales...more games, games, games.

I'm guessing it'll mean that jRPG's which tended to sell better on the PS3 anyways won't bother with a XB1 version if the PS4 maintains enough of a lead. A few smaller studios that may not have the man power to QA for 3 consoles will go with the bigger install base. I think third parties will keep producing titles for everything but they may ignore optimization for the smaller platform and opt to just keep the resolution low for the XB1.

That is if Wii U stops/doesn't start selling. I think it will sell few hundred thousands units this holiday, and some more in the coming months. After that Mario Kart will provide a big boost, so the eclipse won't be that soon. I expect it to happen around June, when the world cup and the new FIFA make PS4 sales explode.

Just noticed the new tag. It suits you.

Someone needs to tell Hideo Kojima about this so that Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain can grace our PS4's as soon as possible!

Hideo Kojima said:
"It appears likely that Phantom Pain will be coming out around the time the PlayStation 4 becomes more spread out."

Link

Damn, this is really impressive! Sony has made a epic comeback!

PS4 is the most powerful console on the market with the best price and has the fastest and cleanest OS.

Sony was prepared this time, they totally deserve this succes.

Crazy. Now I want to see those NPD numbers.

What? Halo 4 is 8+ million. He's not right with his statement either, but he's closer than you are. Christ, even ODST is above GoW levels.

Do you have any proof of this? I have seen no indication that Halo 4 has reached those numbers.

Triple U

Banned
Most cards will ship with 1-2 gb. The PS4 ships with 8gb. 2m PS4s is the equivalent to 8m value videocards. In this last quarter Sony represents up to a third of the demand?

No, its still 16 modules, which is a fairly common count amongst mid-level GPUs and up. High end cards can use up to 32.

But as the previous poster mentioned, if they only had a little over a million consoles made from the first week of September until whenever the last shipping date for November 22nd was then how are they going to produce, in your eyes a conservative figure of 500k in just one week?

The only way they'd have had that much stock would be if they intentionally held launch stock back to sell on Black Friday but there is no benefit to them doing that.

Crazy. Now I want to see those NPD numbers.

Do you have any proof of this? I have seen no indication that Halo 4 has reached those numbers.

I can't find anything near that either. It was at 4 million last december, and as of july there was this:

Microsoft has declared Halo 4 as MS Studios best-selling title ever in the US.

The company announced that 343 Industries’ franchise entry has bested Halo 3 “for sales during each respective launch year,” – meaning the game has surpassed its predecessor in terms of launch year sales, but not yet in total sales.

In related news, Major Nelson has announced 'The Halo 4 Global Championship' planned for later this summer. It will be made up of live and online events, and promises to boast $500k in prizes – with $200k of that set aside for the tournament winner alone.

The worldwide event kicks-off at this weekend's Rooster Teeth Expo in Austin, with play-offs beginning July 15 on Xbox Live.

Since Halo 3 sold about 8 million, it's safe to say Halo 4 isn't anywhere near that yet.

satam55

Banned
Article was just posted:
Sony expected to ship 1M PS4s per month

By Brendan Sinclair TUE 03 DEC 2013 5:28PM GMT / 12:28PM EST / 9:28AM PST

Wedbush's Pachter says more than half of consoles will be going to North America, with half of those to GameStop

ES3BT2a.jpg

Sony has promised to have "substantial" resupplies of the PlayStation 4 before the end of the year, but has given no indication as to what qualifies as substantial. Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter has stepped in to fill that information void, telling investors in a note this morning that he believes Sony is making PS4s at the rate of a million systems per month.

Pachter followed up on Sony's announcement today that it had sold 2.1 million systems worldwide, saying that number fits well with previous estimates that Sony began manufacturing PS4s for retail on September 1, and that it faces a gap of up to three weeks from a system's creation to the time it arrives on shelves.

"We expect Sony to continue to ship 1 million consoles per month, so as of the end of January, we believe Sony will have manufactured a cumulative 5 million consoles and will have shipped 4.25 - 4.5 million," Pachter said. "We expect the 55 percent allocation to North America to continue through January, and then revert to a more normalized 40 percent of units once Sony launches in Japan and other countries. We think that Microsoft is on a similar production schedule, with similar allocations to North America."

Pachter added that specialty retailer GameStop has been receiving roughly half of the systems shipped to North America, and that it will continue to take up that share of the allocations through December. In the New Year, Pachter expects the company's share to be dialed back to a "more customary" 30 percent.

If the shipment projections are accurate, the PS4 would be more than holding up its part of publishers' predictions that Sony and Microsoft would combine to ship 10 million units of their new systems by the end of March.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-12-03-sony-expected-to-ship-1m-ps4s-per-month

Top Bottom