• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime that need more love!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still don't know how and why I made it through Gintama's slow start. Once I moved past it though, everything got taken up to 11.

The use of Shinpachi as the "straight" man who points out the joke is often overplayed, but the show works inspite of that since the actual jokes work very well.

Lucumo

I am absolutely massive fan of Kaiba, which unfortunately has a fairly off-putting visual style that tends to turn people away. But don't let that stop you! It's remarkably deep, oftentimes simultaneously touching and heartbreaking; a mind-bending love story that's entirely unique in its way.

Yay, something actually worthwhile and not Moeblob 2 or something like Darker Than Black(1) which gets a lot of love.

I even have The Tree Song on my smartphone.

snapshot20080424200649.jpg

Shigurui:

Extremely graphic but good god, is it good. It is kinda artsy and has definitely a completely unique feeling to it. A shame that the anime doesn't really cover anything...and I haven't read the manga.

shigurui021.jpg

Gankutsuou:

Has a weird artstyle, like Kaiba. If that doesn't put anyone off, it's worth watching. The Count of Monte Cristo. Do I need to say more?

Gankutsuou.full_.95842.jpg

I wish more anime like those existed...but we will probably only get like one every 3-4 years these days.

Jex

Didn't want to sound upset, sorry.
I think I'll try Xam'd or whatever the name is, next.

Uh-oh!
Beast Trainer Erin.
While I do think that's a good show, it has so many problems (pacing, production values, editing) that I struggle to recommend it in general.
This is one of my all time favorite shows! I'm currently on my third rewatch and it never stops to amaze me how elaborate the show is. I'm currently at episode 78 where we get peek at life and mind of Ataru's mother, stuff gets crazy! I mean we have doppelgängers and war against tripods crammed into one episode. Personally, I wouldn't stop at change of directors. Animation improved a lot during Kazuo years and while Kazuo never had success with the movies, I never saw problems with him as show runner. Sure he had missteps but Oshii's run had some terrible episodes as well. Not to mention Oshii's signature style did start over power the show towards end of his run. Show started to be bit too "deep" too often for it's own sake. Kazuo's directing was more faithful for the manga and it was still great show till the very end of it's run. Oshii was better director but not perfect and there is still great gems in Kazuo's output.
There's nothing wrong with Kazuo's tenure on the series. He's just far more of a predictable workmen than Oshii. I kind of want to see Oshii's weird take on the universe as opposed to just a straight adaptation, which is why I don't consider Kazuo's run "essential". For people who are really enjoying the series you don't have to stop when you get to him, of course.

Lucumo

I've always been interested in the Macross franchise, but I have no idea where to start within that franchise. It sounds like it is a bit more consistent in quality than Gundam (never watched a Gundam show either). I saw bits of Macross Frontier back in my freshman year of college, but I remember nothing about it, except for a feminine lead and a green hair woman.

Macross isn't really that good either. The franchise just got worse and worse.

Best: Original Macross, Macross Zero
Somewhat lower: Macross Plus (mostly okish-suckish but it had two extremely awesome scenes which made it somewhat worthwhile).
Middle: Macross 7, Macross Frontier
Worst: Pretty much the other OVAs(Macross 7 Encore, Macross Dynamite 7 etc) and movies

This best to worst is only in regards to the series though, Original and Zero only scored a 7 out of 10 with me.

Nice thread! Gave it a good skim, and I'll try to recommend things that haven't been suggested.

Mirai Shonen Conan

Anyone who enjoys Hayao Miyazaki's direction and style should check this one out. It's a fun adventure without all the grimness of your usual post-apocalyptic world. The animation quality is a bit dated being from the late 70s, but I think you'll enjoy the energetic pacing of this 26 episode series that showcases much of Miyazaki's style and themes.

Ghost Hound

I've seen suggestions for Kaiba and Lain so why not another anime partly grounded in metaphysical philosophy? Have fun navigating your way though this bizarre story of existence with solipsistic implications. Or something! Much like Lain, I think this show is better at sparking your imagination than presenting some sort of coherent story.

Lovely Complex

A rom-com with wonderful character development. It does a great job of showing two people overcoming their self-perception issues and flawed understanding of relationships so they can finally develop feelings for each other. It focuses on humor more than drama, revolving around the premise that the two main characters have height complexes. I could see the main characters being grating to some people, but I enjoyed their interaction. Give it a try if you have the slightest interest in romantic comedies. Minimal tsundere, no passive aggressive characters, no forced drama, greatly funny.

Also thanks to everyone for their suggestions so far. I have a little list drawn up now.

mdubs

Banned
%255BAnimaKai%255D+Gin+no+Saji+-+01+%255B480p%255D.mkv_snapshot_03.06_%255B2013.07.19_02.33.38%255D.jpg

Silver Spoon - A city boy goes to farming school and learns life lessons.

This is by the far the best series to come out over the past few years and is absolutely wonderful. You all owe it to yourselves to watch it, it is downright hilarious (and no fanservice either!)

Also OP C Control was ok but that ending was crap and you know it.

Oxn

Since I almost never hear anyone mention Juuni Kokki aka The 12 Kingdoms in an anime thread.

Im gonna go with that.

Setting and story is amazing.

Lucumo

Don't think I saw anyone mention Detroit Metal City. It's hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D8J_sywY00

It's my favorite comedy (I don't really like the genre), so I can vouch for that.

Since I almost never hear anyone mention Juuni Kokki aka The 12 Kingdoms in an anime thread.

Im gonna go with that.

Setting and story is amazing.

After a somewhat weak start, it got really good. The problem is though, it's incomplete...which is a shame. I guess one has to read the novels to know the full story.

Jex

Macross isn't really that good either. The franchise just got worse and worse.

Best: Original Macross, Macross Zero
Somewhat lower: Macross Plus (mostly okish-suckish but it had two extremely awesome scenes which made it somewhat worthwhile).
Middle: Macross 7, Macross Frontier
Worst: Pretty much the other OVAs(Macross 7 Encore, Macross Dynamite 7 etc) and movies

This best to worst is only in regards to the series though, Original and Zero only scored a 7 out of 10 with me.
The secret best advice I'd give to anyone regarding "What mecha anime should I watch?" is to, by and large, ignore Gundam & Macross (sans the shows I've already mentioned) and focus on other mecha titles that are far better e.g.

- Votoms
- Armour Hunter Mellowlink
- Giant Robo: The Day The Earth Stood Still
- Patlabor

Not to mention the very popular and well known titles like:

- Gurren Lagann
- Evangelion
- Eureka Seven

I also happen to like:

- Getter Robo Armageddon
- New Getter Robo
- Shin Getter vs Neo Getter
- Shin Mazinger Z

But those 4 all kind of have problems. I'd recommend men them to people who've already passed through the other shows and want something more.

Lucumo

The secret best advice I'd give to anyone regarding "What mecha anime should I watch?" is to, by and large, ignore Gundam & Macross (sans the shows I've already mentioned) and focus on other mecha titles that are far better e.g.

- Votoms
- Patlabor

- Gurren Lagann
- Evangelion
- Eureka Seven

I also happen to like:

- Getter Robo Armageddon
- New Getter Robo
- Shin Mazinger Z

But those 4 all kind of have problems. I'd recommend men them to people who've already passed through the other shows and want something more.

I guess it also always depends on what kind of mecha you like, real or super robots. I prefer real ones, for example. Regarding mecha series, I have always found it hard to find subs (or they are terrible) for the more obscure and older ones as groups tend to only cover Gundam and Macross...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

- Votoms
- Patlabor

- Gurren Lagann
- Evangelion
- Eureka Seven

I also happen to like:

- Getter Robo Armageddon
- New Getter Robo
- Shin Mazinger Z

Have you watched Garasaki?

Jex

I guess it also always depends on what kind of mecha you like, real or super robots. I prefer real ones, for example.
Luckily I think there was a a real abundance of both real and super robot shows so you're still kind of spoiled for choice. I mean, on the real robot front there's still:

Patlabor
FLAG
Votoms
Armor Hunter Mellowlink

Okay, perhaps 'Spoiled For Choice' is an exaggeration
Have you watched Garasaki?

I haven't had the pleasure.

ugly

I love this show. What's interesting is Hayao Miyazaki (Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke) actually produced the concept for the story, didn't use it, and after some legal juggling, Hideaki Anno (NGE) ended up directing it. The character design is handled by Yoshiyuki Sadamoto (NGE, Summer Wars).

Just watch this shit.
But make sure you skip episodes 23 - 34. Show was extended to make more money, Anno handed the directorial reigns over to some lout during this period and - well the show takes a very big hit. Luckily they're not needed to understand the story.

Set in 1889 and extremely loosely based on Jules Verne's Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water tells the story of Nadia, a girl who's trying to find out about her past, Jean, a boy who wants to build a flying machine, and the Blue Water, a mysterious gem of Nadia's with strange powers. Their world is home to two shadowy groups in conflict: Neo-Atlantis, who want to rule the world, and the crew of the submarine Nautilus, who have sworn to oppose Neo-Atlantis. These two plots are not unconnected...

MrChom

Nice to see Gankutsuo get a mention. A thrilling tale of lust, greed, power, and revenge that will hold your heart in its hand and SQUEEZE. If that doesn't give you one of the best dramatic rides of a lifetime then I simply do not know what will!

My big recommendation though has to be Full Metal Panic. I ADORE this show (and Fumofu it's comedy spin-off). Mecha with quite a bit of humour, and a great arc plot to boot. One of the few anime I've watched beginning to end several times, just masterful.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
Lot of great entries on here.

I just really wanted to show Desert Punk some love. Especially the english dub. It's one of the few anime where I prefer a dub.

I have love for this anime because it has the most anit-hero no BS realist main character I've ever seen. His resolve for survival and disdain for heroic hypocrisy is probably the best I've seen in anime.

Necrovex

I forgot how amazing the OST is in Shin Seki Yori. I remember my friend bitching about the show due to
the main leads not aiming to 'better' humanity. He expected them to become heroes and make humanity redeem themselves for their sins.

Nice to see Gankutsuo get a mention. A thrilling tale of lust, greed, power, and revenge that will hold your heart in its hand and SQUEEZE. If that doesn't give you one of the best dramatic rides of a lifetime then I simply do not know what will!

Gankutsuo is one of the finest shows ever created.
Darker than Black, i liked the characters and action:
1210500_o.gif

Why do people hate the second season so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom