• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anita Sarkeesian and Zoe Quinn are speaking at the UN about online harassment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Temporal Mess

Neo Member
I'm waiting for /r/KotakuInAction and /r/conspiracy to finally coalesce into one disgusting, goopy mass. Seems like the time is approaching.

CP3u5O0UkAAsavh.png

I'm the king.

but seriously, wtf.

Zabi

Banned
I'm waiting for /r/KotakuInAction and /r/conspiracy to finally coalesce into one disgusting, goopy mass. Seems like the time is approaching.

It'd be funny if /r/conspiracy were to end up being another one of the subreddits which autobans anyone who posts at KiA.

I updated that post with a few more things. There's a lot of stuff and it's documented at these subreddits:

https://www.reddit.com/r/BestOfOutrageCulture

https://www.reddit.com/r/TopMindsOfReddit

CP3u5O0UkAAsavh.png

CP2gfKFW8AAfcFr.png

Topic on KiA: Don't listen to the leftist lies: both Zoe and Anita (assuming she is a citizen of the United States) have committed a felony by explicitly and directly lobbying foreign governments for the abolition of Net Neutrality and the "licensing" of internet content providers.

Temporal Mess

Neo Member
It'd be funny if /r/conspiracy were to end up being another one of the subreddits which autobans anyone who posts at KiA.

"We may be famed anti-semites, but misogyny? That's going way too far!"

Also:
That petition might as well be entitled "We Don't Know What Radical Feminism Is".

Zabi

Banned
"We may be famed anti-semites, but misogyny? That's going way too far!"

I'd believe it. Remember, even 4chan subdued discussion of GG back during the early days of it, resulting in the exodus to 8chan. 4chan had a better reason than most sites to do it though because the site was already unruly enough without it and in the end, 8chan turned out to be a better fit for GG anyway.

Temporal Mess

Neo Member
How can a person be deemed too politically incorrect for 4chan and still not clock that they might actually be in the wrong? That they might actually just be bad people?

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Not sure why the GG crowd is so upset at this considering that it was their constant abuse and bs that brought this stuff to the general public. If Anita and Zoe were left alone this would have been a conversation mainly had in video game publications, forums, and among devs. Gamer Gate created the "monster" they keep obsessing over.

Pretty funny actually.

Zabi

Banned
How can a person be deemed too politically incorrect for 4chan and still not clock that they might actually be in the wrong? That they might actually just be bad people?

GG concluded that moot had gone full SJW or whatever term they used. I find that hard to believe considering that 4chan is still known to be quite unruly.

Temporal Mess

Neo Member
Not sure why the GG crowd is so upset at this considering that it was their constant abuse and bs that brought this stuff to the general public. If Anita and Zoe were left alone this would have been a conversation mainly had in video game publications, forums, and among devs. Gamer Gate created the "monster" they keep obsessing over.

Pretty funny actually.

Sarkeesian would never have even gotten so much Kickstarter money or initial attention if people didn't throw a huge tantrum over her in the first place. Without them she would have stayed as a completely unknown YouTuber.
These kinds of people just keep creating their own 'villains' and don't see it.

nubbe

CP3u5O0UkAAsavh.png

CP2gfKFW8AAfcFr.png

Topic on KiA: Don't listen to the leftist lies: both Zoe and Anita (assuming she is a citizen of the United States) have committed a felony by explicitly and directly lobbying foreign governments for the abolition of Net Neutrality and the "licensing" of internet content providers.

am I out of touch?
No, it is the world that is wrong

GG concluded that moot had gone full SJW or whatever term they used. I find that hard to believe considering that 4chan is still known to be quite unruly.
Funny that they didn't consider moot a Scientologist when he banned Project Chanology talk from 4chan for the exact same reasons GamerGate was banned.

The irony of a group led by a group of singularly gendered individuals conspiring to use others of the same gender complaining about a group of singularly gendered individuals conspiring to use others of the same gender.

Priceless.

Edit: I also love the linear plotline of "women couldn't have possibly done that on their own" but that's too obvious.

h#shdem0n

Dafuq? Are they accusing them of treason?!

Guaranteed anonymity is problematic though.

I see the human rights arguments for free speech and whatnot, but there are real legitimate issues with lack of accountability.

Safeguards doesn't necessarily mean companies having to hand out identifiable data to third parties. However, if that's off the table due to privacy concerns, then rigorous banning/reporting systems need to be in place and be enforced. And they need to be more flexible and efficient than they are now.

Death threats, hate campaigns, harassment is a real thing. It's not reasonable for us as a society not to try and work against it.

The ideal thing would be something like really, really, really, smart language analysis, cross references between posters, posting-pattern analysis (dogpile-detection) etc. coupled with reporting systems that actually work. These need to be worked on, and there needs to be incentives to work on them (as it is now, Twitter doesn't really have an economic interest in stopping that kind of behavior, right?). If we get that in place, it might discourage some of it.

And yes, if someone threatens the life of someone else online, there ought to be a way for the FBI to track that person down. The counter-argument is that identifiable data might be abused by governments or criminals. And I buy that. The thing is that it's been shown time and time again that if a government or criminal wants to hack their way in, they will. I don't think the general population will be protected by having legislation set up road blocks to identify criminal activity online. Corrupt government and criminals will bypass those roadblocks anyway.

I'm not saying it's clear cut. But the status quo just isn't cutting it. The better the anti-harassment tech gets, the less intrusive to personal privacy the legislation has to be. But there's very little incentive to produce those kinds of solutions without government/UN initiatives.

Really twitter/google/facebook needs to be held accountable but listening and reading some stuff about these UN talks makes me believe they are going to push for some sort of universal internet ID.

Diablos

Good.

When I was a teenager/in my early 20's I would get so upset when people would label all of us gamers as violent, just because we may simply play something that has a lot of violence. Meanwhile, movies, TV shows, novels, or things like domestic abuse would get downplayed or a free pass altogether.

Now I'm an adult and someone just had to be crazy and go out of their way to legitimize the stereotype that the media and politicians have been peddling for years. This is, of course, when Anita Sarkeesian had to back out of her speech at Utah State University.

The lines between online harassment and potential real world malicious and/or violent behavior are blurring. It's concerning. I admire their willingness to talk about online harassment because it's a lot more profound than it used to be.

There is a lot of that that goes on with the internet. The internet isn't easy to control, so it will be a long shot in the dark.

Twitter, Facebook, and other social media platforms could use data mining to find people who harass others and ban them temporarily (or forever for certain types of harassment like death threats, swatting, or repeated infractions). It won't just be the people this particular group finds objectionable, of course, as the Randi Harpers of the world will get banned too, but that's for the best.

Yrael

I'm very happy that the problem of cyber harassment is being taken more seriously, but yeah, I've got to admit I wish the UN report itself was better. It's riddled with sloppy mistakes, and amongst other things uncritically cites this page as a valid source for recent research about anti-social behaviour and video gaming (in particular the idea of children being turned into "killing zombies"):

In a press release Feb. 1, 2000, Midway Games reported the “top ten in killer games,” that is, the leading U.S. video-game sofware companies, as ranked in order of their unit sales:
1. Nintendo of America, Inc.: Manufactures Pokémon, Game-Boys, and equipment for satanic video games.

2. Electronic Arts, Inc.: Produces Road Rash, which features a hit and run, criminal assault on police.

3. Sony Computer Entertainment: Equipment for satanic video games. Was a defendant in the lawsuit on behalf of the three girls killed by video game addict Michael Carneal, the 14-year-old shooter in Paducah, Kentucky.

4. Midway Home Entertainment: Mortal Kombat, Doom, Quake.

5. THQ, Inc.: Summoners, which deals with evil sorcerers, satanic monsters.

6. Acclaim Entertainment: Hard Core Wrestling (such as nails in head, strangulation), Hard Core Revolution, and Real F’n Wrestling.

7. 989 Studios (Sony): Produces Everquest. (In this, followers of the god Cazic-Thule inflict “pain, misery, violence, torture, living sacrifice.”

8. Activision, Inc.: Soldier of Fortune (assassination, race war).

9. Namco Ltd.: Soul Calibur. In this, “The Evil Seed is loose, threatens to swallow souls in its chilling wake.”

10. Hasbro Interactive: Official U.S. distributor of Pokémon (abbreviation for “Pocket Monsters”), the killing game designed for toddlers beginning at 2 and 3 years old; Dungeons and Dragons, the medieval satanic and magic fantasy game; Risk II, a “ruthless quest for world domination". One of the Hasbro Board members is Paul Wolfowitz, the co-head of George W. Bush’s team of foreign policy advisors.

That's pretty embarrassing.

...what in the world?

Platy

CP3u5O0UkAAsavh.png

CP2gfKFW8AAfcFr.png

I wonder when they will realise that THEY are the reason Zoe and Anita are at the United Nations.

Without Gamergate Zoe and Anita would just be a random game designer and a random youtuber

Shaanyboi

Banned
CP3u5O0UkAAsavh.png

CP2gfKFW8AAfcFr.png

Whoo boy.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Also, Randi Harper wasn't too happy about what was included in the UN report: https://storify.com/freebsdgirl/no-cookie-for-the-un

Gotta disagree with Randi on this one

...sort of

Okay so I get and am fully on board with the general push to de-stigamtize sex work, legalize it, recognize that not all prostitution occurs under the iron hand of an abusive pimp, etc, yes I get it, there are a hell of a lot of women who go into or are interested in sex work because they gain some measure of satisfaction and/or they just think the money is good

But sometimes in that conversation I feel like we lose sight of the fact that a hell of a lot of it isn't either. I don't like saying that because I don't like suggesting that anyone involved in that conversation could ever forget all of the actual abuse that happens but...especially on a global level there are still a shit ton of abusive relationships or straight up sex slavery and yes, depending on the country in question the internet can play a very large role in enabling that trafficking. Is the way the UN report handles that a sloppy mess? Yeah, but mostly I think because the report itself is a sloppy mess overall. Is the idea of being concerned with the internet's effects in enabling coerced prostitution in and of itself a horrible idea? No, I don't think so whatsoever. And I'm not just talking about arranging child prostitutes in Singapore or whatever, there was that great and harrowing Cracked article a month or so back about the girl who's parents rented her out using posts on Craigslist FFS

ksdixon

I'm sick of hearing about these two. Why does everything have to be a soapbox issue? I don't care that there aren't a lot of games that let me play as a woman, or a black/asian person. But you know what? When I play a game that does let me, it doesn't bother me at all. I don't have to 'relate' to the character I'm playing as. I didn't play Golden Axe on the SEGA MegaDrive and cry about how I didn't relate to the barbarian, the amazon or the old bearded dwarf. Just shut up already.

And as for Zoe's part in it, regarding video games journalism ethics, does anyone even trust major review sites? I haven't since Jeff got fired from GameSPOT. I go by what my friends describe of their experience with a game, i go by the demo I play and I form my own opinions. It's all just a bit rediculous really.

JeffG

I'm sick of hearing about these two. Why does everything have to be a soapbox issue? I don't care that there aren't a lot of games that let me play as a woman, or a black/asian person. But you know what? When I play a game that does let me, it doesn't bother me at all. I don't have to 'relate' to the character I'm playing as. I didn't play Golden Axe on the SEGA MegaDrive and cry about how I didn't relate to the barbarian, the amazon or the old bearded dwarf. Just shut up already.

And as for Zoe's part in it, regarding video games journalism ethics, does anyone even trust major review sites? I haven't since Jeff got fired from GameSPOT. I go by what my friends describe of their experience with a game, i go by the demo I play and I form my own opinions. It's all just a bit rediculous really.

I am glad you were able to capture the essence of the thread and provide the exact solution everyone was looking for.

Bronx-Man

Banned

So much for that freedom of speech that GooberGrapers love talking about.

CP3u5O0UkAAsavh.png

CP2gfKFW8AAfcFr.png

vHjUbHJ.gif

Holy shit.

illuminerti confirmed?

This guy is a light weight. Sargon could get five hours of material out of the same topic. How could you believe a guy like AlphaOmegaSin who only has 18 minutes worth of stuff to say?

noted international law expert AlphaOmegaSin
He's not an international law expert. He's just somebody once again giving his viewpoint on something.

This guy is a light weight. Sargon could get five hours of material out of the same topic. How could you believe a guy like AlphaOmegaSin who only has 18 minutes worth of stuff to say?
Sargon, AlphaOmegaSin, and no telling how many others have made numerous videos over the years discussing Anita's flawed thinking. I agree that some messages are more detailed than others, but the message is still the same none the less.

Who is this man - what the hell makes this man qualified to speak about this subject?

I actually super don't care about his qualifications. He's spewing idiotic conspiracy theories and has generally been a long-winded idiot with bad ideas and bad arguments for years.

JDSN

Banned
People should use their dispoable accounts kicking out of the gate like "Amita is a bulldyke feminazi that wants to destroy white men" rather than this meek "check out this vid I found ya Guys ;p" shit.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, these threads are still as disgusting as they were 6 months ago. There really are strong problems with some subsegments of the gaming community...

Nice to see Anita doing something for real change.

I still think a lot of her content is pandering and nonsensical. I know thats an unpopular opinion here at gaf, but i truly think a lot of her content cherry picks.

I dont want to get banned for stating my opinion, but ill elaborate just so I don't come off like a hating idiot. I'm not saying I hate her or think she's trying to destroy white men or anything. I think the topic she covers is worth exploring and very important, and I agree with a number of the things she points out in her videos. But very often I feel as though she almost creates some of the problems she points out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom