• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any Black Ops 2 Wii U Reviews or Impressions?

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Curious as well. Any input?

Kill Confirmed is always easy to find games, never played Capture the Flag, and haven't tried Headquarters on BO2 yet. I've been able to get Hardpoint matches fairly easily, S&D/Demolition as well whenever I actually tried playing them.

If you guys haven't tried Multi-team yet, it's chaotic and really fun, especially KC. I haven't seen very many, if any, people go into Multi-Team since they switched to the new playlist with Core and Objective separated though.

The new patch just went live.

EDarkness

I never play anything but TDM. I just don't see the point of the other modes, to be honest. I can always get a TDM game, so no problems there.

Pikma

Banned
Yeah, it's easy to find matches on almost every type of match now, only a few of the Hardcore modes and Sharpshooter sometimes are still hard to find matches for iirc.

Dicer

Banned
NNID: Roomba

Gun game and One in the chamber are a blast, and I can usually find enough people for a match...

Hip Hop

Seems like it's over unless it's actually in-store only.

Now that population seems to be over 4000 people one at a given time have other modes started to be populated? KC, Hardpoint, Headquarters, S&D, etc. Or are people still sticking with TDM and Dom?

The population is still at about 3,500 a good night, at best.

The usual population I find is about 1,200. Really sucks playing at night. A lot of modes are still empty. TDM is still king.

The Wii U community doesn't seem diverse at all. It seems like they tacked on to TDM so much because that is all they could really play in the original Wii, I'd assume. They still can't let go! Damn you!

Pineconn

Game modes that aren't played often: Mercenary, Headquarters, Sharpshooter, HC FFA, HC SnD, HC CTF.

I've never seen a match in any of the last three game modes going. But who cares, HC is awful. :)

SmokeMaxX

The population is still at about 3,500 a good night, at best.

The usual population I find is about 1,200. Really sucks playing at night. A lot of modes are still empty. TDM is still king.

The Wii U community doesn't seem diverse at all. It seems like they tacked on to TDM so much because that is all they could really play in the original Wii, I'd assume. They still can't let go! Damn you!

TDM is always the most popular game mode. People don't notice it as much on the other consoles because there's always people to play with in every mode, but it's the same there. The problem with playing another game mode on WiiU right now is that people would rather play TDM than wait in a lobby for 10 minutes looking for players to play CTF (or whatever) with.

EDarkness

TDM is always the most popular game mode. People don't notice it as much on the other consoles because there's always people to play with in every mode, but it's the same there. The problem with playing another game mode on WiiU right now is that people would rather play TDM than wait in a lobby for 10 minutes looking for players to play CTF (or whatever) with.

Some people just have no desire to play anything else. Some of the other modes get to be too complicated and learning them is tough. I tried playing Zombies, but since there was no real zombie mode on the Wii version, I have no idea how to play. Played it once, never went back. Pretty much stick with TDM. It's easy to understand and fun can still be had.

braves01

Banned
Hey I think treyarch just put out another update. I'm still DLing it now so I don't know what for. Only 1:30 left, so it seems pretty big since I've been getting okay speeds recently.

Edit I see I'm way late on this

NateDrake

Hey I think treyarch just put out another update. I'm still DLing it now so I don't know what for. Only 1:30 left, so it seems pretty big since I've been getting okay speeds recently.

Edit I see I'm way late on this

I need to update my copy tomorrow. Just DLed a NG3:RE patch though.

Wow. We are getting great support. The new patch is great from what I played. Fixed a lot of Wii Remote errors, like stuttering while ADS and jitter.

The aim assist feels... like DA aim assist. Almost like cheating. Not that I'm complaining.

They even posted a Guide To The Wii Remote on the main forums.

Then we got most of the other balance tweaks as well. Full List.

Props to A_Trey_U and the Treyarch team.

Effect

I was able to get it for $29.99. I had to mention the 2-day sale though since it scanned at $59.99, and he discounted it after looking it up.

Stopped in and checked. It was $30 but only when I look it to the counter. No prices in the isle was changed. For $30 and a $5 certificate I had printed out and kept on me in case I saw something I bought the game...again. Couldn't pass it up and just paid $26 in the end. Even if I get sick of it again I'll just keep it in my collection and let it collect dust.

Played some tonight before tonight's patch and after. The latest patch indeed makes the pointer controls work very well. No issues at all from what I can tell. How they should be and if the aim assist is high then so be it. It's like that on the dual analog controls.

My only issue now is I keep getting a strict NAT even with me giving my Wii U a static IP and putting it on my router's DMZ. I don't think this is an issue with Assassin's Creed 3 though. I've actually switched from DSL back to cable since I last played the game and when I set it as a static IP before with DSL the NAT was open. There isn't anything on my new router causing an issue from what I can see.

Some people just have no desire to play anything else. Some of the other modes get to be too complicated and learning them is tough. I tried playing Zombies, but since there was no real zombie mode on the Wii version, I have no idea how to play. Played it once, never went back. Pretty much stick with TDM. It's easy to understand and fun can still be had.

I noticed something else tonight. You have teams sometimes playing the other modes. So when you have randoms against an entire team with the same clan tag it can be pretty annoying. Especially when it's a constant stream of stealth chopper, VTOL warship, etc. People just leave and rather not play any mode that allows one side to basically sit there and get kill after kill. I normally enjoy domination but kept running in this same group that simply made playing the game not fun at all. It's not like they were moving around the map either or having gun fights. Just sitting certain locations going for their kill streaks. Matches are simply more fun for me when it's a bunch of randoms and keeping the game score close and the lead going back and forth. You can still work as a team or partner up with someone but overall the experience seems more fair.

It's why I love playing hardcore whenever possible. Played that a lot in BO1 and MW3. You still have teams in other modes but the chance for them to do the above is less I believe. They have to move around.

I noticed something else tonight. You have teams sometimes playing the other modes. So when you have randoms against an entire team with the same clan tag it can be pretty annoying. Especially when it's a constant stream of stealth chopper, VTOL warship, etc. People just leave and rather not play any mode that allows one side to basically sit there and get kill after kill. I normally enjoy domination but kept running in this same group that simply made playing the game not fun at all. It's not like they were moving around the map either or having gun fights. Just sitting certain locations going for their kill streaks. Matches are simply more fun for me when it's a bunch of randoms and keeping the game score close and the lead going back and forth. You can still work as a team or partner up with someone but overall the experience seems more fair.

It's why I love playing hardcore whenever possible. Played that a lot in BO1 and MW3. You still have teams in other modes but the chance for them to do the above is less I believe. They have to move around.

Honestly, I think in any game against a well-coordinated team, you're gonna get fucked up if you're running with randoms. I have a couple people I play with that are much better than I am. I'm a good support player though, and I always shoot down UAVs for them and put up my own, so they can get their high streaks.

When it's just us three in a lobby, my score (and subsequent killstreaks) multiply by large factors simply by virtue of playing with two other people who are really good at the game. A party of three isn't even a lot of people, but every UAV or VSAT they put up helps me. It's really a snowball effect (no pun intended on your name).

And when we ran into a clan of five, we got murdered by constant Lodestars, etc. Because they had one random and we had three. Mercenary is really the only sure way to avoid this.

Omzz

The update before cleaned up a bit of the game lag it seemed, but now after this recent update it's chugging again. Can't even play properly when I keep one barring.

Pineconn

Wow, they even further refined the Wiimote controls. I can't believe I'm saying this, but they're better than those of MW3. Kudos to the Treyarch Wii U team.

*middle finger to the netcode team*

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
In the patch notes they said they fixed Lodestar controls for the Wii remote, any idea if they fixed them for the Dragonfire as well?

In the patch notes they said they fixed Lodestar controls for the Wii remote, any idea if they fixed them for the Dragonfire as well?

I would hope so. Who at Treyarch thought it was a good idea to lock the wiimote input to just the vertical aim. So backwards it deserves a medal.

Wow, they even further refined the Wiimote controls. I can't believe I'm saying this, but they're better than those of MW3. Kudos to the Treyarch Wii U team.

*middle finger to the netcode team*

Really? What did they change? Did they finally bring back the outer dead zone settings that they left out?

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Now I can actually go directly to the Wii U menu from multiplayer! Before the patch, I had to wait for the menu to load to the single player menu to go to the Wii U menu.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
When you ADS onto an enemy it definitely sticks more with the wiimote now. Someone posted a video on the official forums about some guy abusing this already though because the aim assist goes through walls.

Pineconn

PSA: if you run into someone named Mr. Wonderful, quit. He's a little bitch with the biggest and most consistent lag shield I've ever witnessed. Homie has a 3.57 KDR and has the aim of a granola bar.

Ok, I logged some serious hours in yesterday with the Wiimote.

The short of it is:

Wiimote controls and lag compensation for Wiimote players is finally fixed.

- Stability, sway and recoil have been greatly improved
- controls are much more responsive now
- sniper rifles are finally worth a thing
- floating scope controls are now uniform regardless of stance (fucking finally)

Overall, this means that I can finally compete with the Wiimote. Even without Aim assist on, I can pull a steady K/D ratio of 1.5 to 2.0 (which is good for me) In fact, I managed to prestige the FAL DSW twice yesterday and unlock all camos for it.

Now for the negative things:

- Connection seems to be spotty and unreliable
- Zombie Mode has tons of new audio bugs, loading is much longer now
- I've heard from several players that they couldn't get online at all after the new patch
- Killstreak controls are still fucked. Dragonfire and VTol are still garbage with Wiimote.

effzee

Just started playing this game. Played maybe 2-3 levels into the single player campaign mode but got bored.

Logged about 3 hours into the multiplayer mode which was fun as hell!

I used the pro controller. Would most people recommend using the wiimote? Is that the best controller for this game?

Just started playing this game. Played maybe 2-3 levels into the single player campaign mode but got bored.

Logged about 3 hours into the multiplayer mode which was fun as hell!

I used the pro controller. Would most people recommend using the wiimote? Is that the best controller for this game?

Wiimote is great, but really with the amount of assisted aim and snap to aim you get with the Pro and Gamepad your competitive chances are much higher with those as the game is basically played with a perpetual aimbot.

PopeReal

It seems to take me longer to connect to a game since the patch. I do like that I can hit home and exit to the main menu from the multiplayer instead of having to back up to the single player first.

NNID: Baby_Sickle

effzee

Forgot to add NNID: master_wayne

I am terrible though so add at your own risk.

Also I only have played so far the core team deathmatch. Just really fun but what else should I try out?

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
It seems to take me longer to connect to a game since the patch. I do like that I can hit home and exit to the main menu from the multiplayer instead of having to back up to the single player first.

NNID: Baby_Sickle

I've noticed that too, I'll join lobbies and for some reason get kicked back to the menu pretty often as well. Had some more lock ups since the patch too.

Forgot to add NNID: master_wayne

I am terrible though so add at your own risk.

Also I only have played so far the core team deathmatch. Just really fun but what else should I try out?

If you like running around, play Kill Confirmed, plays out like TD but you need to collect the dog tags of the person you killed to gain points. As for objective modes, Domination is the easiest to get into, just make sure you make an effort to capture the flags.

fernoca

LOL. While pretty much expected, it's disappointing we don't get it :/. I'm more pissed off that we don't get told this shit and it just gets swept under the rug...

Officially, they haven't said anything yet...which sucks.
Heck, the way that DLC is announced on Wii U, or the lack of announcements is just weird.

Asssassin's Creed III's DLC was barely announced and the upcoming "Geroge Washington stuff" the confirmation of it coming to Wii U basically was added at the end of a press release talking about prices and dates of the 360/PS3 DLC like "oh, and it's coming to Wii U too". Then there's Zen Pinball 2, and the Star Wars table...apparently coming to Wii U, but was basicllly alluded by a Twitter post (or was a forum post) from one of the developers, instead of been added to the press release/articles about the announcement.

So..we'll see. Not expecting it, in any case.

Disguises

Officially, they haven't said anything yet...which sucks.
True, but this is the same that happened once Black Ops and MW3 were released on Wii. The Black Ops manual mentioned the possibility of DLC but none came. It was clear it was a possibility, but for whatever reason ($$$) it was canned. Black Ops also had a pretty steady 20,000+ players back in the day compared to the 2000+ of Black Ops 2. Like you said - not expecting anything but I'd be extremely pleased with Treyarchs support if it did come...

Finally got it. nnid crmegabyte

I am coming from my PS3 CoD MW2 and CoD Black Ops, and I am really impressed at how this game looks on the Wii U as a launch port. I am really doubting why the first impressions on this game where bad. I have played some 3 hours in sp and 3 hours mp and have not experienced any drop in FPS whatsoever.

Could the drops in the early days be associated with the OS, or to reviewers playing the games while downloading something in the background? Really curious on your experiences as I find the game really good looking and smooth on the fps.

Pineconn

All I could tell about this patch is that Wiimote aim assist has been re-added, you have to press a different button when sending a text message to use the GamePad keyboard, and the Dragonfire controls much better with the Wiimote. Also, if you had problems with "(gamemode) Master" calling cards, those are fixed, too.

They're aware of the server issues and are working on them.

http://community.callofduty.com/message/414141924#414141924

A list of patch changes will go live here:

http://community.callofduty.com/message/414032145#414032145

Top Bottom