• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone ever been to the mysterious Disney "Club 33"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Am I hallucinating or is the dude with white hair and glasses Drew Carey?

99% sure it is. The guy in the back corner looks a lot like Richard Karn.

Drain You

First off this entire Club 33 thing is fascinating.

Second, I came up with a post that was really witty and it pointed out how wrong you were about that being Drew Carey. Then I looked up what Drew Carey looks like in recent years, god damnit that totally is Drew Carey.

Trike

Whoa how did you get in?

Second, I came up with a post that was really witty and it pointed out how wrong you were about that being Drew Carey. Then I looked up what Drew Carey looks like in recent years, god damnit that totally is Drew Carey.

You guys lack some faith.

I have a friend who starred in a Disney Channel Original Movie and even he can't get into Club 33

That's because you have to be at The Famous Jett Jackson level or higher if you're a Disney Channel star.

Apt101

Never heard of it. About a decade ago I went to Disneyworld and my then very charming girlfriend got us an invite to an afterhours gathering there though (at 'World). Those kids knew how to party. We got high and drunk near the safari part, I forget the name, and some of the chefs made food for everyone. It was a really good time. I am like 50% positive one of the actresses from The Craft was there too but I wasn't sure it was her.

Faithless

Yeah, that's pretty much it! Drew is my friend from the Improv-a-Ganza/Whose Line family, and he got the evening for us. Aisha's somewhere on this board, too.

I will not marry any GAF members, though.

The 21 Royal night was top 5 nights of my life, guys. I've eaten at some fancy places, but there was secret shit everywhere in this suite. The mirror would sometimes suddenly show Tinkerbell flying by. Every room was designed by Disney himself (they showed us his sketches) and would visibly change with a button press.

One room had a painting on it, and when you pressed the button on the wall, a mermaid would swim out ON THE PAINTING and sit on a rock. The painting was made of paint. You could touch it. Nobody could figure out how it was done. The host called it something like an "end-game" vision for the Disneyland concept. He said something like, "We comprehend the so-called magic of Pirates of the Caribbean; we can see the machinery of it. This was a place that Walt wanted to seem truly magical. So some of these things aren't done anywhere else in the park."

Ss a nice touch, we were served Skywalker wine, from Lucas' vineyard.

As far as the cocktails were concerned, they also told us the story of each of the designs of the cocktails, why Disney crafted or commissioned them. One was made because some guy on Mary Poppins liked one cocktail and another guy liked another kind of cocktail so Disney commissioned a cocktail that had all the ingredients of both (but was balanced and pleasant). The whole evening was evidence of some large-scale obsessive behavior.

maxcriden

Yeah, that's pretty much it! Drew is my friend from the Improv-a-Ganza/Whose Line family, and he got the evening for us. Aisha's somewhere on this board, too.

I will not marry any GAF members, though.

The 21 Royal night was top 5 nights of my life, guys. I've eaten at some fancy places, but there was secret shit everywhere in this suite. The mirror would sometimes suddenly show Tinkerbell flying by. Every room was designed by Disney himself (they showed us his sketches) and would visibly change with a button press.

One room had a painting on it, and when you pressed the button on the wall, a mermaid would swim out ON THE PAINTING and sit on a rock. The painting was made of paint. You could touch it. Nobody could figure out how it was done. The host called it something like an "end-game" vision for the Disneyland concept. He said something like, "We comprehend the so-called magic of Pirates of the Caribbean; we can see the machinery of it. This was a place that Walt wanted to seem truly magical. So some of these things aren't done anywhere else in the park."

Ss a nice touch, we were served Skywalker wine, from Lucas' vineyard.

As far as the cocktails were concerned, they also told us the story of each of the designs of the cocktails, why Disney crafted or commissioned them. One was made because some guy on Mary Poppins liked one cocktail and another guy liked another kind of cocktail so Disney commissioned a cocktail that had all the ingredients of both (but was balanced and pleasant). The whole evening was evidence of some large-scale obsessive behavior.

Ok, now we're getting somewhere really interesting. My wife and I were driving down to Orlando today and speculating whether Disney started Club 33 as a cover for a gentle Illuminati. This kind of thing doesn't dissuade me. I think Disney could've really gotten into the whole Scientology game if they played their cards right. Beaten L. Ron at his own con. One night you see what a mermaid painting looks like, for $20,000 you can ascend to Level 2 and talk to a mermaid for a few mins on the phone. In a sense in typing this out it makes me wonder of Kickstarter rewards aren't the natural evolution of leveling up in Scientology. The two SE to have an awful lot in common. But, I digress. Thank you for the eminently fascinating tale, that's exactly the kind of thing I'd hoped to see when I made this thread.

A few months back, we went to California Adventure's 1901 in the morning for a few drinks and then we went to Club 33 for lunch. It was a great experience.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
One room had a painting on it, and when you pressed the button on the wall, a mermaid would swim out ON THE PAINTING and sit on a rock. The painting was made of paint. You could touch it. Nobody could figure out how it was done.

Sounds like Octocamo. Damn.

maxcriden

Been a bunch of times actually. It's a pretty good place but the main thing is going on a slow day and then getting good celebrity gossip and stories from the staff. Got all kind of scoops on Johnny Depp from a dude who waiting on him during one of the Pirates premiers at the park.

You'll take me next time we're both in the area?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Just wanted to add my thanks to Faithless for the pictures and descriptions. The 21 Royal sounds amazing!

and thanks for letting me down easy :)

Has anyone been and also been to 3 Michelin star restaurants? I've been to the likes of Manresa, French Laundry, and Saison, but don't have the access required to get a seat at 33, and have always wondered how it compares.

I'm going to French Laundry on Friday! It's always been a bucket list type of thing for my girlfriend and me. I don't know really know what to expect. Hopefully I'm blown away.

I'm going to French Laundry on Friday! It's always been a bucket list type of thing for my girlfriend and me. I don't know really know what to expect. Hopefully I'm blown away.

I don't think there's anything I could put in my mouth that would make me say "That taste was well worth the $800 I just spent on it"

I just couldn't justify it to myself personally but some people can!

I don't think there's anything I could put in my mouth that would make me say "That taste was well worth the $800 I just spent on it"

I just couldn't justify it to myself personally but some people can!

She's a chef and I just love and appreciate well prepared food and culinary art. I actually do most of the cooking at home and not her.

We don't have kids, have good careers so dropping $800 on a meal for two isn't a big deal for us right now. We are trying to get traveling and and all the crazy stuff out of the way before we can't when we have a family. But I agree the price is very extravagant and this will be a one time only thing.

I went shortly after they renovated it. It was pretty nice, but has lost a lot of historical significance since they expanded and overhauled it so that was kinda disappointing considering that's why I wanted to go. Of course it was worth it to see the court of angels again <3

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
When I think "private" club I'm thinking Disney actively selects members to join, but I'm sure that isn't right
That's it. My understanding is that you have to own part of Disney or have some kind of important business with them to become a member.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Damn that's cool.

I need to start my own secret club. Anyone wanna do this with me? I think we could make it work

Faithless I want to hear more about magic paintings. Did you get a pic of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom