• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't think any watch does this currently due to battery life.

My LG G Watch R is on all the time and still lasts almost two days.

I wanted this because bo matter how good your 'tilt to wake' detection is, with normal watches I often just glance at them without moving my arm at all, or with a tiny twist of the wrist.

I'd have thought with an OLED screen apple could have managed at least a dim screen or just the watch hands on all the time - should barely use any battery.

I like the sound of how they deal with notifications. One issue I have with android wear is that notifications don't go away on their own, and they require a tap to read or dismiss. Apple watch sounds much better:
- receive notification, raise arm to read.
- put hand back down quickly, notification is dismissed on watch but remains on phone for later.
- keep hand up, switches to read mode and shows you more information. Notification is dismissed on phone.

I'd like android wear to copy that please - need more hands-free interaction.

SuperPac

What worries me, as an investor and Apple fan, is the rationale why people are buying this. CJ on P1P was nearly incoherent on why he wanted the watch and why it was better than others on the market, and Gruber has been mum on whether or not he would get one on his own (ignoring a potential review unit).

Well, the reason I threw it on the Player One Podcast outline that week (and waited for someone else to bring it up) was that I knew some or all of my co-hosts would take great pleasure in LOL APPLE'ing me over it. It was not to have a discussion about its features, or why I wanted to buy it, or convince them of anything - because that wouldn't have happened. It would've ended the same, "but you have your phone in your pocket, just take that out." And of course, LOL APPLE - the same thing occurred over the iPhone and iPad.

There's no one interaction or function of the watch that I can say "this is why I'm buying it" - it's dozens of little things, a death-by-1,000-papercuts situation. Alone, they do not seem significant (or maybe even worth it) at all.

• Let's say I'm walking through the office around noon and a co-worker stops me to ask if I want to go to lunch I can lift my wrist and see what my next meeting is right on the watch face and if I have time.
• I can lift my wrist and see the weather in the morning (as I'm also getting my daughter ready to go) or when I'm leaving work.
• I can quickly see if the call coming in during a meeting is a telemarketing call or my daughter's daycare (which is a little more important).
• I'm driving home and my wife texts to see if I can stop by the store on the way home - I can reply quickly and easily at a stoplight without pulling the phone out and getting sucked into checking email/twitter/everything else.
• I get an email after work hours that my boss or a vendor I work with needs a particular file for something - I can glance at the watch while playing LEGOs with my daughter/spending time with my family and determine whether I need to go do that now or if it can wait.
• I'm at GDC during a meeting with a vendor I work with (and maybe see once a year at this show) and my phone starts ringing. I can quickly look to see who it is if I want, or just cover the watch with my hand to silence it instead of letting it vibrate in my pocket.

There are many, many more of these little situations and in all of them I could "just take my phone out." That is absolutely true. But I am looking forward to not *needing* to do that anymore.

I understand the desire, but a $500+ purchase is beyond me. I understood the iPhone immediately. I cried during the iPad reveal because of its implications. I've been an Apple user for well over a decade and a shareholder for a little less time, but the watch really stumps me.

I hope I'm proven wrong, but Apple, and especially its fans, haven't given me much cause. I guess we'll see this year, especially the holiday season.

It's convenience. There's a lot of technology/things where convenience is the purpose - cutting one interaction for something shorter. Maybe it seems unnecessary or frivolous at first (especially before you have it or are able to experience the potential benefit to you). Perhaps the interaction it cuts is fractions of a second. Do you have a keyless remote to lock/unlock your car? How interested are you in going back to just using the key in the door?

WatchAware had an interesting piece about some of the controls in a car that are duplicated on the steering wheel - for no other reason than convenience.

There's a "Day in the life of an Apple Watch user" blog that goes into even more little interactions. Everyone's use cases with this will be different (similar to a smartphone in that regard I suppose).

Ninja Dom

I got the iPhone 5 in Space Grey, and after a year it got pretty scratched up. I saw other people's iPhone 5 and they were also pretty badly scratched after some time. A scratch would reveal the silver underneath the Space Grey coating.

I got the 5S in Space Grey too but Apple avoided coating the edges, top and bottom in Space Grey and left them almost silver. As a result scratches weren't a problem. I'm on the iPhone 6 now, Space Grey again and they have coated the top, bottom and edges in a Space Grey finish but it's very light in colour. 6 months in and I've not scratched it yet.

How do you think the Space Grey finish on the Watch will hold up? It's a much darker Space Grey than on the iPhone 6. I much prefer the colour over the silver aluminium on the Watch but I'm really worried about scratches.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
That's weird.
I still have my near launch space gray and there's no scratches on the back. I don't use cases or am super careful with it either.
I have dings on the edges of the phone though of course.

There's no one interaction or function of the watch that I can say "this is why I'm buying it" - it's dozens of little things, a death-by-1,000-papercuts situation. Alone, they do not seem significant (or maybe even worth it) at all.

This is exactly the way to look at it. That's also why it's such a tough sell.

Mik2121

There's a "Day in the life of an Apple Watch user" blog that goes into even more little interactions. Everyone's use cases with this will be different (similar to a smartphone in that regard I suppose).
All that stuff sounds amazing. The whole calling in and paying taxis, paying for food or something in a restaurant, controlling the music of lights or whatever in the house, checking weather and getting all those alarms... too bad here in Japan most of that stuff has terrible infrastructures and you can't pay taxis with even an iPhone or Android, you can't call taxis, you can't pay for pretty much anything with them... it's kinda sad.

Fliesen

My LG G Watch R is on all the time and still lasts almost two days.

I wanted this because bo matter how good your 'tilt to wake' detection is, with normal watches I often just glance at them without moving my arm at all, or with a tiny twist of the wrist.

I'd have thought with an OLED screen apple could have managed at least a dim screen or just the watch hands on all the time - should barely use any battery.

i would assume that even the 42mm Apple watch has a smaller ergonomic footprint and thereby a smaller battery than the LG G Watch R and the battery life numbers are for the smaller model.

Loharwg.jpg

oB8eT1z.jpg

With many "battery life" issues of Apple devices it's mostly not that they couldn't have, but they simply didn't want to compromise ergonomics for battery life.
(they could have kept the iPhone 6 as thick as the 5 / 5S and thereby greatly increased battery life, but they wanted a lighter device.)

doesn't mean you'll have to accept that trade-off, you're free to use a bigger watch with bigger battery life. I just think it was a trade-off that was

a) wilfully taken by Apple
b) unavoidable, given today's technology's constraints (energy draw of chipsets, energy density in batteries)

it'll get better (smaller chips with higher power-efficiency), but even then, you can expect Apple to first shave some of that 1cm thickness down, before we'll start seeing multiple days of battery life. - the fact that the iPhone 6+ has a multiple day battery life was not by design, they just couldn't really make that slab any thinner, nor find anything else to fill the device with, so they just had to add a bigger battery. ;)

edit: if a teardown reveals that both devices have the same battery capacity in mAh, we shall blame Apple for sucky power management, together!

jax

Banned
So much salt and misunderstanding in this thread. The Watch has a million uses, it has a better design than any other smart watch on the market, and it's going to sell like gangbusters.

It's basically the new iPod.

Fliesen

So much salt and misunderstanding in this thread. The Watch has a million uses, it has a better design than any other smart watch on the market, and it's going to sell like gangbusters.

while i'm bullish on the AppleWatch, i don't think it's going to be a phenomenon like the iPod was at its time. It's an accessory to the iPhone, it can't really stand on its own.

Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, Palm, Blackberry users all bought iPods because it was the de facto mobile music player. Only iOS users can use the full functionality of the appleWatch.

also, design is subjective - it is, however the first smartwatch that also comes in a smaller form factor made for smaller wrist. Which is pretty essential for mass market acceptance.

rezuth

i would assume that even the 42mm Apple watch has a smaller ergonomic footprint and thereby a smaller battery than the LG G Watch R and the battery life numbers are for the smaller model.

With many "battery life" issues of Apple devices it's mostly not that they couldn't have, but they simply didn't want to compromise ergonomics for battery life.
(they could have kept the iPhone 6 as thick as the 5 / 5S and thereby greatly increased battery life, but they wanted a lighter device.)

doesn't mean you'll have to accept that trade-off, you're free to use a bigger watch with bigger battery life. I just think it was a trade-off that was

a) wilfully taken by Apple
b) unavoidable, given today's technology's constraints (energy draw of chipsets, energy density in batteries)

it'll get better (smaller chips with higher power-efficiency), but even then, you can expect Apple to first shave some of that 1cm thickness down, before we'll start seeing multiple days of battery life. - the fact that the iPhone 6+ has a multiple day battery life was not by design, they just couldn't really make that slab any thinner, nor find anything else to fill the device with, so they just had to add a bigger battery. ;)

edit: if a teardown reveals that both devices have the same battery capacity in mAh, we shall blame Apple for sucky power management, together!

As Apple notes, battery life will vary by use, configuration, and other factors, so real world results may vary. According to Apple, the 42mm Apple Watch "typically" experiences longer battery life than the smaller 38mm version.

30 minutes of music combined with standard usage?

God damn that sucks.
Note that's actually "30 minutes of music away from your phone". It's for people who want to take jogs or do yoga without a phone in their pocket. Of course if you have your phone you can be playing music from the phone and controlling it with the watch, and then it's the phone's battery that's getting used.

LeleSocho

Banned

The only right thing you said in your post is that it's going to sell a lot.
Design is subjective but, it looks pretty much the same of Samsung's offerings and in many (if not the majority of) people's eyes there are smartwatches that looks miles better than this.
The functionalities are the same if not inferior to competitors depending on how much you care for haptic feedback/camera/forcetouch/thirdparty apps and watchfaces etc.

It's going to sell because it's Apple and they know how to play their cards even when their product is lackluster like this one.
Everyone and their dog expected something an order of magnitude higher compared to the competitors when they first announced the product but here we are with a watch that is pretty much comparable with the ones already out, it's less about salt and misunderstanding and more about disappointment.

The thing about the battery life is that to me there's no difference between a battery which lasts one day and one that lasts two, three or even four. I'm not going to be able to wear it every single night regardless of battery size, so in any case I'm going to end up taking it off to charge every night.
The only reason it'd be beneficial would be if I forget to charge it one night. But in any case, having a dead watch is not going to be as big a problem as a dead phone of it happens.

LeleSocho

Banned
Not sure what you're getting at here other than 'details are hard to make out when objects are far away'.

Really? You think this is what an Apple Watch looks like?

So to you guys this is totally 100% of the times distinguishable from an Apple Watch? You think that a random person on earth will always say "yeah that is no way an Apple Watch, it's like comparing a tree to a car" when looking at something like this?
yOmHmiR.jpg

But that's beside the point, what i was trying to say is that Apple didn't bring anything new to the table design-wise.

Guess Who

Banned
So to you guys this is totally 100% of the times distinguishable from an Apple Watch?
yOmHmiR.jpg

But that's beside the point, what i was trying to say is that Apple didn't bring anything new to the table design-wise.

They brought a lot new to the table in terms of design. It's the smallest smartwatch by far, it has the best and most varied band selection by far, it has a unique interchangeable strap system, curved sapphire with flexible AMOLED, the Digital Crown, etc.

The only things even remotely similar between the Galaxy Gear and the Apple Watch are "they are both rectangular" and "they are both watches".

Blackhead

Redarse
They brought a lot new to the table in terms of design. It's the smallest smartwatch by far, it has the best and most varied band selection by far, it has a unique interchangeable strap system, curved sapphire with flexible AMOLED, the Digital Crown, etc.

The only things even remotely similar between the Galaxy Gear and the Apple Watch are "they are both rectangular" and "they are both watches".

It's not the smallest smartwatch (Pebble, Sony Smartwatch 2 etc). The only thing new is the Digital Crown

Guess Who

Banned
It's not the smallest smartwatch (Pebble, Sony Smartwatch 2 etc). The only thing new is the Digital Crown

Ah, I admit I neglected the Pebble and Sony Smartwatch - I barely even think of those in the same category. It is smaller than what I'd consider the Apple Watch's more direct competition, Android Wear watches.

LeleSocho

Banned

1) We are talking about design, the strap system is not in topic nor something objectively positive.
2) You probably new to the concept of bands because there are already millions if not billions of watchbands out in the wild and they are compatible with smartwatches like the moto 360 and the lg watch r, if something the AW bands are extremely limited because use a proprietary system.
3) It's not the smallest.

Ambient80

Do we know yet if or when third parties will be offering their own bands? I really like the Milanese Loop but I can't possibly afford what Apple is asking for it. I feel like a third party could make something very similar for much cheaper.

Both of those watches are larger than the Apple Watch, especially the 38mm version. But even the 42mm is smaller.

Apple 38 mm model: 38.6 x 33.3 x 10.5 mm
Apple 42 mm model: 42.0 x 35.9 x 10.5 mm

Sony Smart Watch 2: 42 x 41 x 9 mm
Pebble: 52 x 36 x 11.5 mm
Pebble Steel: 46 x 34 x 10.5 mm
Pebble Time: 47 x 37.5 x 9.5 mm

A couple are thinner, but the Apple Watch is smallest in terms of visual space taken up on your wrist.

mcfrank

while i'm bullish on the AppleWatch, i don't think it's going to be a phenomenon like the iPod was at its time. It's an accessory to the iPhone, it can't really stand on its own.

Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, Palm, Blackberry users all bought iPods because it was the de facto mobile music player. Only iOS users can use the full functionality of the appleWatch.

also, design is subjective - it is, however the first smartwatch that also comes in a smaller form factor made for smaller wrist. Which is pretty essential for mass market acceptance.

This is looking back on the iPod with rose colored glasses. The original iPod required a Mac which had a super tiny user base at the time (far far far smaller than iPhone now). The iPod did not become super popular until the Christmas the 4th generation came out.

o-IPOD-SALES-570.jpg

If the apple watch only sells the same as the iPod at launch, it will be a failure.

Majine

Banned
Saw this on reddit.

"The home of luxury watches won’t be seeing the Apple Watch any time soon.

According to a Reuters report Apple won’t be able to launch their upcoming smartwatch due to rights issues — much to the delight of Swiss watchmakers I’m sure.

The U.S. tech giant cannot use the image of an apple nor the word “apple” to launch its watch within Switzerland, the home of luxury watches, because of a patent from 1985, RTS reported, citing a document from the Swiss Federal Institute of Intellectual Property."

Sorry Swiss-GAF, hope you didn't choke on your beloved meatballs when you read this.

Juice

In 2008, iPod sold 54.8 million units. That's when it peaked.

In 2014, Apple sold 169 million iPhones. If you just look at the last two years of iphones (not counting 2015's massive 6 sales), that's a universe of 319 million phones currently in daily use.

That means Apple only needs to sell watches to 18% of current iPhone users to beat the top sales year in the history of the iPod.

It might not happen this year or next year (spoiler: I think it will in 2016), but in order to hit your watermark of "iPod phenomenon", Apple only has to sell 54.8 million watches in a year by 2022!!

So yes, this is the new iPod. It could be a total failure in the eyes of the market and still kick the iPod's ass. That's how big the iPhone market is.

The fallacy in your post was apparent when you mentioned blackberry users buying iPods. Remember that the smartphone market now is at least an order of magnitude bigger than it was in 2007.

That Switzerland thing is based totally on a Swiss news site finding that the word Apple is trademarked for watches and jewelry until December, 2015. It's very possible Apple made a deal with the owner of the trademark to be able to release it earlier.

Fliesen

i wasn't talking numbers but rather the overall "impact" of the device.

they are most definitely going to sell more AppleWatches than iPods, i have no doubts about that, but i don't believe the AppleWatch is going to be synonomous for its product category like the iPad and the iPod were. especially since "AppleWatch" isn't as catchy of a branding as the aforementioned devices.

i should have been more clear about what i meant.
I agree with you both, that it will easily outsell the iPod product family. It won't be as much of a "cultural phenomenon", though - it won't dominate its market as much as the iPod did. it will dominate its market profit-wise, just like the iPad and the iPhone, sure. Relative numbers, not absolute.
The iPod was "the next Walkman", if you wanted to purchase a music player, chances were high you'd buy an iPod.

If you're interested in buying a smartwatch, and you don't have an iPhone, getting an AppleWatch is pretty much not a valid option.

Blackhead

Redarse
And force touch. Do any of the other have haptics?
The real differentiator is going to be the interface though, I think.
Yes, also force touch. haptics not really. I think the real differentiating factor will be marketing

Both of those watches are larger than the Apple Watch, especially the 38mm version. But even the 42mm is smaller.

Apple 38 mm model: 38.6 x 33.3 x 10.5 mm
Apple 42 mm model: 42.0 x 35.9 x 10.5 mm

Sony Smart Watch 2: 42 x 41 x 9 mm
Pebble: 52 x 36 x 11.5 mm
Pebble Steel: 46 x 34 x 10.5 mm
Pebble Time: 47 x 37.5 x 9.5 mm

A couple are thinner, but the Apple Watch is smallest in terms of visual space taken up on your wrist.
Sony Smartwatch (aka Sony Ericsson Live View 2) is smaller in most dimensions:
36 x 36 x 8 mm
Released in 2012. Included oled display, smartphone notifications and allowed third party apps. 3-4 days of battery life.

The original was also 'smallest in terms of visual space taken up on your wrist'
Sony Ericsson LiveView: 35 x 35 x 11mm

I can add links to third party band stuff in the OP - haven't been researching that part of this myself.
That would be useful. Put up a section heading so people know it's coming but wait for reviews before adding products links. Who knows how many of these third-party bands will actually pan out.

In 2008, iPod sold 54.8 million units. That's when it peaked.

In 2014, Apple sold 169 million iPhones. If you just look at the last two years of iphones (not counting 2015's massive 6 sales), that's a universe of 319 million phones currently in daily use.

That means Apple only needs to sell watches to 18% of current iPhone users to beat the top sales year in the history of the iPod.

It might not happen this year or next year (spoiler: I think it will in 2016), but in order to hit your watermark of "iPod phenomenon", Apple only has to sell 54.8 million watches in a year by 2022!!

So yes, this is the new iPod. It could be a total failure in the eyes of the market and still kick the iPod's ass. That's how big the iPhone market is.

The fallacy in your post was apparent when you mentioned blackberry users buying iPods. Remember that the smartphone market now is at least an order of magnitude bigger than it was in 2007.
eh, it took a while for the iPhone to ramp up sales. The iPad was an even faster phenomenon and it didn't go past iPod peak sales until its second full year (2012). you really think the first full year (2016) for the iWatch?

That Switzerland thing is based totally on a Swiss news site finding that the word Apple is trademarked for watches and jewelry until December, 2015. It's very possible Apple made a deal with the owner of the trademark to be able to release it earlier.
lxcRtOym.png

Juice

they are most definitely going to sell more AppleWatches than iPods, i have no doubts about that, but i don't believe the AppleWatch is going to be synonomous for its product category like the iPad and the iPod were. especially since "AppleWatch" isn't as catchy of a branding as the aforementioned devices.

I agree with you both, that it will easily outsell the iPod product family. It won't be as much of a "cultural phenomenon", though - it won't dominate its market as much as the iPod did. it will dominate its market profit-wise, just like the iPad and the iPhone, sure. Relative numbers, not absolute.
The iPod was "the next Walkman", if you wanted to purchase a music player, chances were high you'd buy an iPod.

If you're interested in buying a smartwatch, and you don't have an iPhone, getting an AppleWatch is pretty much not a valid option.

I'm more interested in the cultural phenomenon of human lives it touched than the "cultural phenomenon" of what people who follow inside baseball of the tech industry care about.

And because Apple focuses on selling products, they will be too.

Edit: as to Android, the first iPods only connected to Macs. It's possible the next watch will stand apart from phones, but I don't think it will.

I think this time the iPhone has captured such a huge percentage of affluent people across the globe that strategically, the watch will be much more effective at locking in those users than the opportunity cost posed by a lack of access to relatively less affluent Android users.

As Marco said, the venn diagram of Tag Heuer fans and Android enthusiasts has very little intersection.

SuperPac

That would be useful. Put up a section heading so people know it's coming but wait for reviews before adding products links. Who knows how many of these third-party bands will actually pan out.

Good idea. It's like buying an iPhone 7 case based on rumored dimensions.

You are wandering dangerously close to "No wireless. Less space than a nomad. Lame." territory. Over focusing on a few features and missing the whole package.

Don't sleep on the Haptics. I really think that the advanced Haptics plus Force Touch is going to herald the next big revolution in computing. I think it is going to be the next place where Apple is years ahead of the competition.

mcfrank

You missed my point. You need an iPhone for now just like you needed a Mac for iPod when it launched. Judging it by that would be just as mistaken and thinking that the iPod would always need a Mac and capping its cultural impact based on that. At some point, you will probably be able to buy an Apple watch instead of an iPhone. Let's say the base Apple watch is $250 by that point, then Apple the just got the "cheap iPhone" everyone has been clamoring for. But this cheap iPhone also scales all the way up to 17,000 dollars.

Blackhead

Redarse
You are wandering dangerously close to "No wireless. Less space than a nomad. Lame." territory. Over focusing on a few features and missing the whole package.

Don't sleep on the Haptics. I really think that the advanced Haptics plus Force Touch is going to herald the next big revolution in computing. I think it is going to be the next place where Apple is years ahead of the competition.

What's advanced about Apple's haptics?

Top Bottom