• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

SuperPac

And idk, from using android wear and owning a pebble and watching videos of apple watch... ease of use is definitely pebble > android >>> apple watch.

Good to know the thing that's not out yet and you've not used ranks third by a long shot.

jts

...hate me...
would love to read surveys on usage of android wear watches.

And idk, from using android wear and owning a pebble and watching videos of apple watch... ease of use is definitely pebble > android >>> apple watch.

ideally imo, a smartwatch should help with day to day, little things that you don't need to pull out the phone, like notifications for calendar events and meeting invites, and reminders, everything else should be done on your swanky 1080p+ $800 smartphone you just bought a few months ago.

No matter how high res your watch is, there is no way its gonna handle html formatting for most emails anyways, just read the title and dismiss it, or don't, and pull out your phone to really read it.
What do you find complicated about the Apple Watch?

I'm guessing maybe the interactions with the digital crown can throw one off a bit for that couple of minutes of adjustment that this is not a "just touch the screen" interface at all times, but impressions have been very positive.

And with it you can do just that, read the raw text of your email or just the title, or you can press a button to open that email on your iPhone from where you can reply.

I can't stop thinking about how well this complements a more unwieldy phone like the 6 Plus, which ideally you want to reduce its constant handling to a minimum, especially if you're on the go.

Corgi

Banned
well duh its gonna be the most complicated because I never used it :p

but the whole crown and touch interface reminds me of the infotainment system in the newer infinitis that have 2 touch screens, buttons on the side, and a freaking knob to navigate just the map.

I can't stop thinking about how well this complements a more unwieldy phone like the 6 Plus, which ideally you want to reduce its constant handling to a minimum, especially if you're on the go.

wait how is the 6+ unwieldy? It's not that much bigger than the 6.

but the whole crown and touch interface reminds me of the infotainment system in the newer infinitis that have 2 touch screens, buttons on the side, and a freaking knob to navigate just the map.

I actually regret getting the 6 instead of 6 plus.

jts

...hate me...

Please.

The 6+ is not much bigger than the 6 which is not much bigger than the 5, but these things add up.

It's not as easy to get a tight grip and full control of the screen with a single hand and thumb on the 6+. But a complementary smartwatch that it's nimble to use, immediate to look at and interact with, goes a long way to alleviate some of these issues with larger phones.

Future

I actually regret getting the 6 instead of 6 plus.

You get used to the plus so fast. Definitely get that next size for next upgrade

I'm not sure about this watch though. It would be nice not to have to pull this out of pocket, but I'm not exactly getting so many updates I need to glance at them constantly. I use my phone all the time, but usually for actively sending multiple texts, web, and apps. I mean glancing at a text is nice I guess but I usually want to reply so Id have to pull out the phone anyway. Who knows

I mean glancing at a text is nice I guess but I usually want to reply so Id have to pull out the phone anyway. Who knows
You can reply on the watch, either with canned answers that the watch suggests based on scanning the contents of the text, or by dictating a reply to the watch.

Terrell

Nexus One had haptic feedback. Even back on the iPhone 4 you could enable smart haptics with jailbreak apps. Which smartwatches have you used?

I've tried a Pebble, a Gear S and a Moto 360. Standard vibration in all of them with little to no directionality, and a quick Google search on the subject shows that they all have the same thing.

Also, I said the majority of smartphones don't have sophisticated haptics in them, not none of them.

The leader in haptic feedback design, Immersion, even says that current haptic offerings in smartwatches aren't living up to the potential of the technology, so there's room for growth and it appears Apple is taking that first step.

http://www.fastcodesign.com/3043795/why-we-need-a-haptic-design-language-for-wearables

Smartwatches solve a problem that very few people have. It's simply not that difficult to pull a phone out of your pocket to check your email or skip to the next song on your playlist. At least, it's not enough of a problem to justify spending hundreds of dollars to fix. That's why I was so disappointed with Apple's first entry into the smartwatch arena—despite all the fevered rumors and speculation, it doesn't offer much more functionality than, say, the Moto 360.

Oh yeah, you definitely read the article you quoted in my post and decided that the writer was so hyped about smartwatches in general and Apple Watch in particular. That opening paragraph sings such praise, doesn't it?

SuperPac

You get used to the plus so fast. Definitely get that next size for next upgrade

I'm not sure about this watch though. It would be nice not to have to pull this out of pocket, but I'm not exactly getting so many updates I need to glance at them constantly. I use my phone all the time, but usually for actively sending multiple texts, web, and apps. I mean glancing at a text is nice I guess but I usually want to reply so Id have to pull out the phone anyway. Who knows

You can reply to texts on the watch via dictation. If you want to try that out on the phone hit the microphone button on your keyboard. It works surprisingly well, but if it doesn't quite get it you can send an audio message (at least to another iPhone user). I'll be curious to see how well that works in practice once the watch is out.

iMax

It's nearly time.
screenshot-2015-04-04-12-28-03.png
As it's now out in the wild, I'm guessing reviews will be dropping in the coming week.

MRORANGE

I'm probably going to wait on this one, like I did with iPad until the mini came out, 18 hrs really isn't good enough for me.

Corgi

Banned
Please.

The 6+ is not much bigger than the 6 which is not much bigger than the 5, but these things add up.

It's not as easy to get a tight grip and full control of the screen with a single hand and thumb on the 6+. But a complementary smartwatch that it's nimble to use, immediate to look at and interact with, goes a long way to alleviate some of these issues with larger phones.

I get what ya saying... but I need a use case scenario for these 'microtasks'. Used a pebble watch for about 2 years now so I have the gist of how this would play out on the apple watch.

thing is, the amount of times i've needed to reply to an email or text with a simple 'yes no' answer is maybe 2-3 times in the past year. And I've also used siri to write out a text while driving... once ever, just to test that gimmick out.

Going to the iphone 6+, i'd expected more 'life style changes', but I just ended up doing the same stuff as before, but 2 handed. Not a big deal.

mcfrank

I get what ya saying... but I need a use case scenario for these 'microtasks'. Used a pebble watch for about 2 years now so I have the gist of how this would play out on the apple watch.

thing is, the amount of times i've needed to reply to an email or text with a simple 'yes no' answer is maybe 2-3 times in the past year. And I've also used siri to write out a text while driving... once ever, just to test that gimmick out.

Going to the iphone 6+, i'd expected more 'life style changes', but I just ended up doing the same stuff as before, but 2 handed. Not a big deal.

I use Siri to write out messages every day. It has improved amazingly in the last year or so.

border

Yeah I only got a Siri-capable iPhone a couple weeks ago, and I use it at least once or twice a day. I often need a GPS so asking Siri for directions is far more preferable than inputting an address on the constrictive keyboard (especially while driving). Responding to texts is also much easier through voice. I look forward to doing that stuff on my watch rather than pulling my phone out.

cakefoo

they are most definitely going to sell more AppleWatches than iPods, i have no doubts about that, but i don't believe the AppleWatch is going to be synonomous for its product category like the iPad and the iPod were. especially since "AppleWatch" isn't as catchy of a branding as the aforementioned devices.
Apple is a huge brand. Add "Watch" ... not even SMARTwatch... just WATCH. It doesn't get much simpler than that unless you're an armchair CEO who thinks it should have been called the iWatch.

"Apple Watch" is so much simpler than the geeky Android Wear names: Moto 360, LG G Watch R and ASUS ZenWatch, Sony Smartwatch 3, Samsung Gear Live, LG Watch Urbane. Even Pebble Time is kind of in trouble, due to the lack of weight carried by the Pebble brand outside the million owners of Pebble products.

Sorry to hear you haven't yet realized all the benefits of a voice assistant. Instead of focusing your eyes and hands on a phone for 15-30 seconds, just hold a button down and say what you want in 3. I use Siri a dozen times per day to call people by name or read off a number on a business card, create reminders and calendar events, add items to my shopping note, launch apps, check weather, do math calculations, get directions, set alarms and timers, perform google searches, send detailed texts, and I use the speech to text function to dictate text system-wide pretty much any time I have more than one word to say. The benefits are especially appreciated when I'm preparing food, carrying stuff, working, walking, etc. It's a great companion for a busy lifestyle.

With an Apple Watch, it's like interacting with thin air.

gimmmick

I'll wait till the third generation... or at least when they add GPS to the watch. Work out all the problems, have the people beta test it and wait for the "iphone 4" model that get its all right.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

That's fine, maybe it isn't for you. I do think 'notification triage' is the primary use case and won't be that useful for some people if you don't get a lot of mixed context notifications. Using it for other tasks are probably further down the usefulness scale unless you use Siri a ton to set reminders etc, or navigate a lot on foot in unfamiliar locations.

Most other things can be done well enough on the phone directly so while they might be handy extras on a watch, they probably wouldn't justify a purchase.

Music I would expect most people wouldn't be listening to only 2GB stored on the watch, and if they are playing via the phone then their headphones can play/pause/skip tracks using the call button. Apple pay maybe in the US, but at least in Europe using a contacless debit card is so simple and widespread now that it isnt that critical to have it on your phone let alone a watch.

Thing is, the amount of times i've needed to reply to an email or text with a simple 'yes no' answer is maybe 2-3 times in the past year.
It's more than just a 'yes no' answer. The watch app gives a bunch of default reply options, like "I'm on my way", "BRB", "What's up?", "Hold on a sec", "Can't talk now." You can also add your own default responses to the list. Plus it scans the text of the message and gives reply options based on the contents - the example they give is a text "Do you want sushi or pizza tonight? I'm kinda in the mood for pizza if that's ok with you." and the top 3 reply options are "Sushi", "Pizza", "Not sure."

As for dictating a response, sure on iPhone that was kind-of a gimmick, but on the watch it makes sense, it's definitely faster to do that than to pull out your phone, go to the message and type out an answer.

Apt101

I wish Google would whip Android Wear into shape. I am so deep into their ecosystem now (massive use of everything but Google+, Chromebook, Moto 360 watch, Nexus 5 phone) that I am not sure if I could ever go back to Apple - but I am really liking what I am seeing. I like everything about those Apple watches. My Moto 360 feels like a second screen for my phone, mostly good to see IM's I missed from work or a convenient way to check out directions for GPS - that has a big black bar on the screen and eats through battery life like a monster.

Thankfully I am not tied down by contracts or anything else, so if I did decide to switch at least my phone and watch, it wouldn't be a hassle really.

Deku Tree

I love apple products but I'm not sure I'll be in for rev1 of the apple watch.
I also waited for the iPad 2 b/c iPad one seemed like it was missing too many features.

I also don't know why I would need an apple watch on my wrist
if I still need to carry my phone in my pocket to use it.

Dreamwriter said:
It's the single most important thing that we should be fixated at with smartphones and watches.
Why? Is it really that huge of a burden to place your watch on a charge stand when you go to bed?
Of course it is. It fundamentally limits the use of those devices.
In what way does not being able to wear the watch in your sleep fundamentally limit its use? You are sleeping, the best thing you could do with it during that time would be sleep tracking, which is not a fundamental use of smart watches. I wore watches for years, I never wore them to bed. I just don't see why battery life should be the single most important thing to be fixated over, assuming it lasts for an entire day until people go to bed.

iMax

In what way does not being able to wear the watch in your sleep fundamentally limit its use? You are sleeping, the best thing you could do with it during that time would be sleep tracking, which is not a fundamental use of smart watches. I wore watches for years, I never wore them to bed. I just don't see why battery life should be the single most important thing to be fixated over, assuming it lasts for an entire day until people go to bed.

I would hate to wear a watch in bed. If people are so bothered about sleep tracking, I suggest they buy this.

SuperPac

I also don't know why I would need an apple watch on my wrist
if I still need to carry my phone in my pocket to use it.

You would still want the phone in your pocket because the watch does not duplicate or replace all the phone's functions and the watch's main functions and apps need the cell network from the phone (you want another cellular plan for the watch?).

For instance - no web browser. No camera. No way to reply to email (you can use handoff to continue on your phone). No GPS. It can't store all your music or photos. The watch's function, for now, is not to replace the phone most people will have on them.

Deku Tree

You would still want the phone in your pocket because the watch does not duplicate or replace all the phone's functions and the watch's main functions and apps need the cell network from the phone (you want another cellular plan for the watch?).

For instance - no web browser. No camera. No way to reply to email (you can use handoff to continue on your phone). No GPS. It can't store all your music or photos. The watch's function, for now, is not to replace the phone most people will have on them.

Your right. And I understand that... I have just come to like the idea of only having one computer on my body and only needing one. Apple convinced me to stop wearing a watch when they came out with iPhone. Now Apple hasn't yet convinced me that I need to start wearing an Apple Watch.

I don't see the killer must have Apple Watch functionality. I like to be able to put my phone down and ignore my notifications. The Apple Watch puts them in my face all the time.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Whoa.... We're now calling dictation a gimmick? Umm, maybe like 10 or even 5 years ago.. Current dictations probably in the ballpark of 4 to 5 times faster than typing, and even taking corrections into account it's probably still 2 to 3 times faster. I did this entire post with dictation on Siri and even left it on corrected so this is about what you can expect.on top of that the whole post took literally as long as it takes you to speak it out loud.

Edit
I don't see the killer must have Apple Watch functionality. I like to be able to put my phone down and ignore my notifications. The Apple Watch puts them in my face all the time.

But one doesn't really equal the other. You can still put your notifications on ignore when you don't want to deal with them, or you can have a much more convenient way of interacting with them than pulling your phone out of your pocket every single time. And to those who go on the normal "it's not a big deal to pull your phone out of your pocket", no pulling your phone out of your pocket once or twice isn't a big deal but you figure if you're pulling your phone out of your pocket 1 to 2 dozen times per day it adds up, especially now if you're eliminating 50 to 90% of those times.

atr0cious

Edit

But one doesn't really equal the other. You can still put your notifications on ignore when you don't want to deal with them, or you can have a much more convenient way of interacting with them than pulling your phone out of your pocket every single time. And to those who go on the normal "it's not a big deal to pull your phone out of your pocket", no pulling your phone out of your pocket once or twice isn't a big deal but you figure if you're pulling your phone out of your pocket 1 to 2 dozen times per day it adds up, especially now if you're eliminating 50 to 90% of those times.
Pretty much.I constantly hover around my phone at work because I don't wanna miss messages, and my watch let's me not worry anymore.Plus my girlfriend loves that my phone doesn't come out as often anymore. Being able to take calls when usually I'd have to wash and dry my hands and hope they haven't hung up, now an answer is only a pinky move away.

SuperPac

Plus, you can customize what app notifications go to the watch - it doesn't have to be everything that goes to your phone.

kaskade

Well my parents said they'd buy me a watch for my graduation. Probably going for the 42mm black sport. I'm not sure it'd be worth going for the stainless steel. I think I'd rather just get some aftermarket bands for the sport. I'm sure they'll be much cheaper.

Probably going to pick up the stainless with the cheapest band possible. I imagine 3rd parties are going to be crapping out bands left and right, and $549 is a ridiculous price for this band, however sexy it may be:
Pretty sure to get that band you have to pay $999

That's what it says on Apple's site anyway.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I don't understand how they allow you to voice call people but don't let you reply to emails via voice recognition? Siri should be capable of simple replies.

mcfrank

I don't understand how they allow you to voice call people but don't let you reply to emails via voice recognition? Siri should be capable of simple replies.

Can't edit on the watch so they are probably less confident in dictating longer and possibly business related communication. I am sure it will come from version 2 and/or 3rd party email clients.

I got the iPhone 5 in Space Grey, and after a year it got pretty scratched up. I saw other people's iPhone 5 and they were also pretty badly scratched after some time. A scratch would reveal the silver underneath the Space Grey coating.

I got the 5S in Space Grey too but Apple avoided coating the edges, top and bottom in Space Grey and left them almost silver. As a result scratches weren't a problem. I'm on the iPhone 6 now, Space Grey again and they have coated the top, bottom and edges in a Space Grey finish but it's very light in colour. 6 months in and I've not scratched it yet.

How do you think the Space Grey finish on the Watch will hold up? It's a much darker Space Grey than on the iPhone 6. I much prefer the colour over the silver aluminium on the Watch but I'm really worried about scratches.

you didn't get an iphone 5 in space grey, it was just called black.

space grey apple watch should work out the same as everything else they've called space grey.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I hope you can have phonecalls not go to your wrist, but have voicemails tap you.

cakefoo

I don't see the killer must have Apple Watch functionality. I like to be able to put my phone down and ignore my notifications..
For people with self-employed/freelance jobs who rely on their phones to be more productive, it would be irresponsible to ignore notifications during the day.

That's me.

Majine

Banned
Oh god, I know you can take phone calls on the watch but it's hardly an ideal thing to do. You must look more like a jackass in public than taking photos with an iPad.

Deku Tree

Oh god, I know you can take phone calls on the watch but it's hardly an ideal thing to do. You must look more like a jackass in public than taking photos with an iPad.

This is for people who already walk around wearing a Bluetooth ear piece IMO.

SuperPac

I think Apple intends phone calls taken on the watch to be very short (after all, battery life is going to take a big hit if you spend an hour on the phone on your watch). But, as with taking photos with your iPad I'm sure a lot of people will do it in public.

iMax

Well my parents said they'd buy me a watch for my graduation. Probably going for the 42mm black sport. I'm not sure it'd be worth going for the stainless steel. I think I'd rather just get some aftermarket bands for the sport. I'm sure they'll be much cheaper.

Graduation gift, huh?

apple-watch-edition.jpg

Do it.

zoukka

There are (often) times when the battery runs out within one day. After that I am unable to use my devices unless I charge them. There are (often) times when I don't carry my charger with me. How is this not a fundamental usability issue with portable devices?

Top Bottom