• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you a blood, bone marrow, and/or organ donor? Why or why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingslunk

I get really sick whenever I give blood so I don't really do it anymore, otherwise I'd do it more often. Haven't done bone marrow but after this thread maybe ill make some time to donate to help someone who needs a bone marrow transplant.

I am an organ donor also.

I help/donate because if I'm in any situation where I can help someone out I try to do it.

Was a blood donor, til they advised me to stop. I was getting dizzy on several blood draws. Organ donor yes. Marrow donor not yet, and I should kick my own ass for not doing it yet.

I give blood when I can but I don't want to do plasma again like I did in college for money. It freaked me out that they pumped it back into you.

Jafku

No I am not a donor. Simply because I have a blood disorder so it's understandable. I thank all of you however, you keep me alive literally

.GqueB.

Banned
If you're in the U.S., or hell probably most countries, just Google "blood drive" and the name of your city. See if there are any blood drives being set up sometime soon near your home/work. Taking the first step is a pain, but once you get to the place, it's all relatively simple, generally goes quickly, and they can answer any questions you have before/during/after you donate.

Sorry, not trying to turn this into a "donate blood!" propaganda thread, but it really is a worthwhile cause to participate in.

No worries. I mean my main reasoning was purely not knowing what to do. No need to apologize for providing information.

DJ_Lae

I'm pretty much guaranteed to pass out if I give blood so I don't do that (my blood type isn't huge in demand anyway).

I am an organ donor, though, because, well, why not?

No. Lack of compensation for my blood. A transfusion in the States is about $10,000.00 Why shouldn't the donor be compensated fairly?

Toxi

Banned
I'm a hemolymph blood and organ donor. I don't mind donating hemolymph blood at all; I find it pretty relaxing.

railGUN

Banned
Pretty sure the THC level in my blood would drop a full grown horse, so I don't think they'd want my blood, but I'm an organ donor.

Lagamorph

Looking it up, here in the UK you sign up for Bone Marrow donation when donating blood and they take an extra vial for testing.
I'll be sure to ask about it the next time the blood bus comes round to the office and sign up I think. It sounds like a really amazing thing to be able to do and is honestly not something I was aware you could just sign up to do like that.

Carl

I don't give blood because i hate needles and i faint every time i have my blood taken. Without fail. So fuck that, it's staying in my system.

The only situation I can see in which i donate organs is if someone i care about needs them.

I'm an organ donor because why the hell not. I'm not a blood donor because I'm lazy. If somebody wanted to come on over and take my blood while I play GTA5, I'd be OK with that

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Organ donor.

I really think it should be the default option, and people who don't wan't should opt out.
That's the case now where I live.

I don't donate blood because I'm underweight (every time I tried they didn't let me)

Chairhome

I'm not. What do I need to do?

In Florida, there's blood centers everywhere. Not sure how it is in other places. You can sign up to be a marrow donor at these centers as well. I'm lucky that they have a donor bus come to my work every 2 months and I can donate then. They even provide free blood screenings that I can check online a few days after donating. Its how I've been keeping track of my cholesterol (its not a super accurate screening, but gives you a good idea).

Trouble

Banned
Blood / organ? Yes. Marrow? No, the idea frightens me a bit.
Same. It might be a bit selfish, I would donate marrow or a kidney to a friend/relative in a heartbeat. The idea of a needle being inserted into bone is a bit much for me without some real motivation.

Seregil

I don't think I'm eligible for blood donation due to:

American Red Cross said:
You are not eligible to donate if:

From January 1, 1980, through December 31, 1996, you spent (visited or lived) a cumulative time of 3 months or more, in the United Kingdom (UK), or
From January 1, 1980, to present, you had a blood transfusion in any country(ies) in the (UK) or France. The UK includes any of the countries listed below.

Channel Islands
England
Falkland Islands
Gibraltar
Isle of Man
Northern Ireland
Scotland
Wales
You were a member of the of the U.S. military, a civilian military employee, or a dependent of a member of the U.S. military who spent a total time of 6 months on or associated with a military base in any of the following areas during the specified time frames

From 1980 through 1990 - Belgium, the Netherlands (Holland), or Germany
From 1980 through 1996 - Spain, Portugal, Turkey, Italy or Greece.
You spent (visited or lived) a cumulative time of 5 years or more from January 1, 1980, to present, in any combination of country(ies) in Europe, including

in the UK from 1980 through 1996 as listed above
on or associated with military bases as described above, and
in other countries in Europe as listed below:
Albania
Austria
Belgium
Bosnia/Herzegovina
Bulgaria
Croatia
Czech Republic
Denmark
Finland
France
Germany
Greece
Hungary
Ireland (Republic of)
Italy
Kosovo (Federal Republic of Yugoslavia)
Liechtenstein
Luxembourg
Macedonia
Montenegro (Federal Republic of Yugoslavia)
Netherlands (Holland)
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Romania
Serbia (Federal Republic of Yugoslavia)
Slovak Republic (Slovakia)
Slovenia
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
Turkey
Yugoslavia (Federal Republic includes Kosovo, Montenegro, and Serbia)

MGrant

Tried to donate plasma a few months ago, but was denied because, in the last 12 months, I've had sex with someone who previously lived overseas. Was told I wouldn't be able to donate blood, either.

Nope - I have a fear of needles and it puts me into panic attacks. I had to give a lot of blood to myself for an upcoming operation back in high school and it was seriously the worst experiences of my life.

Organ donation... sure.

Anastasia

I can't donate blood because I'm under the weight limit. I'm not an organ donor, because I want to be cryonically preserved (full body).

Izayoi

Banned
I donate blood every two months (as often as they allow here at PSBC), and I'm an organ donor as well.

Is bone marrow not included in organ donation?

Giard

Can't donate blood because I spent a part of my childhood in the UK. I'd like to do it at least once in my life.

I think O+ (I'm not 100% sure whether I'm + or -) is the 2nd most universal donator blood type, so I sort of feel obliged to donate. I've just started at it. The Red Cross called me a while after donating at work, so I said yes. I'll keep doing it; makes me feel like my life is a bit less pointless. Hopefully they'll call again, or I'll probably forget.

I'm an organ donor. I'll be dead, take what can be used, sure.

I'd forgotten bone marrow donation was a thing; I might look into that.

I have a very logical approach to organ donation...you're already dead, so what does it matter?

But I don't donate any type of blood / marrow, because needles / drawing blood / surgery makes me very squeamish.

It's a selfish reason I know, but it's the truth. :-(

I've donated blood and plasma several times. Chill out in a cool room, watch a movie, then get free reign on snacks afterwards? What's not to like?

And yes, I'm an organ donor. I can't think of any reason not to be that isn't selfish and petty.

pizza dog

Banned
I bleed every time they let me and I'm registered on the bone marrow and organ registries.

Figure, I'm not using 'em, someone should.

X-Frame

I'm AB+ .. I'm the least demanded blood type correct?

Thing is that I never had a problem with giving blood ever. Never made me sick or anything and I've had it taken probably 20 times, and only 1 of them was giving blood when it was an option during high school.

of course, why not?

I mean I don't give a shit. If I was dead you could bang me all you want. I mean who cares? A dead body is like a piece of trash. I mean shove as much shit in there as you want. Fill me up with cream,make a stew out of my ass. What's the big deal? Bang me, eat me, grind me up into little pieces, throw me in the river. Who gives a shit? You're dead, you're dead! Oh Shit! Is my mike on?

I donate blood all the time. Lots of places around here have deals with the blood bus. Like the movie theater will give free tickets or a restaurant will give a free breakfast. I get to save someone's life and get a free meal! Why wouldn't you?

Also I'm an organ donor. I honestly don't know why it isn't mandatory.

BigDug13

I was an organ donor but changed it. I have donated blood lots of times.

I changed my organ donor status because of reports I had read about sometimes the doctor doesn't try as hard to save your life in near-fatal situations if they find out you're an organ donor.

Sorry, but that was enough for me. Karma will probably hit and someday I'll probably need an organ and won't get it, but for now that's my stance.

I chose not to be an organ donor. Mainly because a doctors are in all likelihood really much more motivated to declare you dead or cannot be brought back when its still possible that you are not and could come back.

I actually would gladly sign my organs over to anyone to wants them in the case that I die, but my organs need to be implanted to those people free of any and all cost (including all the medication to prevent rejection). Its unlikely any team would be willing to do it for free. And yes, this includes rejection of being paid by the government to subsidize their pay.

t26

I chose not to be an organ donor. Mainly because a doctors are in all likelihood really much more motivated to declare you dead or cannot be brought back when its still possible that you are not and could come back.

I actually would gladly sign my organs over to anyone to wants them in the case that I die, but my organs need to be implanted to those people free of any and all cost (including all the medication to prevent rejection). Its unlikely any team would be willing to do it for free. And yes, this includes rejection of being paid by the government to subsidize their pay.

There are many that will do that for free, such as University hospital, children hospital, and so on. Many are funded by donations.

That's ridiculous and offensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom