• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you ashamed to be a "gamer"?

xealo

No.

You can find unpleasant and hostile attitudes in just about any hobby. People being crude is by no means something unique to games audiences, it's just amplified by proper anonymity in interactions often being a thing over the internet, and the internet meaning you come into contact with a greater concentration of them.

tkscz

It is very true that most, if not all communities or fandoms have some toxic people in them, and that the issues with gaming as a community can be found in many of other ones. I have often compared gaming to sports as a hobby and watched a light go off in the eyes of my friends when they ask me about gaming related topics and realize that it is just a hobby, like any other and not some big mystery.

However, because the internet sometimes tends to rewards extremes (unfortunately) and for better or worse, gaming as a pretty big online "notoriety", these toxic people are the most visible portion of gaming culture to the general public (again, the same could be said about other hobbies, such as sports).

I don't mean to speak for the OP, but I guess the larger issue here isn't so much whether we associate with, or feel defined by the toxic individuals in gaming communities (I wholeheartedly agree with you on the point that we do not need to affiliate with toxic people because we share a hobby), but whether we, as people who enjoy gaming as a hobby, think that there is anything we could do to improve the climate in gaming communities, or come up with solutions to deal with these issues that are plaguing gaming culture, in general.

A fix as in lessen the toxic image of gamers or lessen the amount of toxic gamers? One of those is a lot harder than the other.

Carlius

Banned
no. i usually hsut haters up by telling them that dota 2 pirze pool is over 20 million dollars and that those gamers he makes fun of are making millinos of dollars.

it works marvels.

I don't really let the negativity of gaming online effect me, gaming is my own thing where I play to relax. I might argue I have more fun playing with people I know, having them over to play side by side, but playing online with friends adds more to my experience as well.

So did anyone post that vid yet? You know which one Im talking about.

Anyways I dont tell anyone Im a gamer unless they bring up the topic first.

mas8705

Considering that being a "gamer" allowed me to get a job at the library to help out with the teen programs, I'm going to say... No. Not ashamed at all. ^_^

ObsidianG

A fix as in lessen the toxic image of gamers or lessen the amount of toxic gamers? One of those is a lot harder than the other.

I am a proponent of change from the "inside out", so I would say that a conversation to lessen the amount of toxic gamers first would go a long way to reducing the toxic image of gamers in general.

To be honest, I don't really care about the general perception of gaming by the general public (though I'll acknowledge that perception does matters, and I am really happy that gaming as a medium of entertainment has been more widely accepted over the years) but I think that there is something special to someone find a special meaning in games, and then being able to find a community of fellow enthusiasts that enjoy the same hobby, and share it with them in a positive way.

Several other posts have made the excellent point that the term gamer (or gaming communities) is a social construct to a certain extent, and can be subverted by people with agendas for their own goals, but I think trying to find ways to improve gaming communities is a worthy conversation to have.

boo

Gold Member
Moviegoer, sportsfan, gameplayer, sure I am all those. So call me a gamer if you want.

At work late last july when Pokemon Go was released we had several men in their thirties to fifties catching Pokemon around the office on mobile phones. I was one of them.

I stay away from discussions on neogaf that move into the more ideological side of being a gamer, since I play games as an escape from dull reality into fantasy worlds where I am "boy/man goes on adventure, saves world/universe, gets medal/cake".

jstripes

Banned
I love video games, but self-identified "gamers" are not a crowd I want to be associated with. It's been that way for like 15 years.

You should. Not trying to be a dick at all but reading can be amazing. There's few things like getting pulled into a really good book.

Happy to give you some suggestions for books if you want.
I'd like some suggestions please. Currently reading "the happyness trap". It's great in the means of self realization.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I'm appalled when they say the shooters at Sandy Hook or Columbine were gamers and that that's why they committed their crimes.

Is that why gamers, especially adult gamers feel ashamed? Because one kid murdered people and he had a video game system at home?

I've gamed for 25+ years and I honestly don't see a lot of what OP is talking about unless I click on Steam forums, read article comments, go on social media websites such as Twitter, or I really dig into where GamerGate articles are accesable.

A lot of what OP talks about is dismissible to the general public who goes to GameStop and buys a video game.

None of the major issues in gaming have been a problem for me because I don't use a mic and my outlet is usually GAF or a news site.

No one really cares. The only arguments I've seen in my life are from the violence debate. The kid at Sandy Hook had Metal Gear Solid and Half-Life mentioned as games he played.

It doesn't make sense to me. Is the NSA looking at the MGS or HL OT's for potential murderers? Is WoW still being played by the NSA?

I agree that there's a lot of idiots and some don't even play games. They're mainly making comments about video games because they can.

The free flow of chatter amongst people given the right to post words online (whenever and wherever) is what causes it all. Same when actually playing a game.

I've seen CoD videos where they curse and talk about rape, but Activision should stop that. Block them from playing period. Block the people causing the issues.

There is a certain stigma associated with playing games. It also does attract certain types of people that I personally don't identify with nor want to be identified with. So while I am not embarassed about playing games it's an interest that isn't getting talked about until I feel out the crowd.

I'd like some suggestions please. Currently reading "the happyness trap". It's great in the means of self realization.

What genres do you normally like? I'm much more of a fiction than non-fiction reader myself but I'd be happy to throw out some stuff i've read recently that i've liked a lot.

Oriel

I have never, ever called myself a "gamer". I'm a bloke who plays games. Do we apply labels to people who watch TV, go to the cinema or listen to music?

Leave the Nazi's over on 4Chan with the title of "gamer" if they crave it so much. It's not a fucking identity.

No. And I dont feel pride in it either. It's just a media, a hobby. I also dont think all the thing listed are exclusive to gaming. Sexism isnt something that you find among gamers but is rather widespread among hobbies that are perceived as "male hobbies" and also is widespread among society, unfortunately.

As for toxicity in gaming communities... Then again, I'd say it's the same among the internet. Check Youtube, Facebook or any news website with comments. The internet just allow idiots to feel like they're allowed to be idiots.

F34R

I'm never ashamed of anything I am. I am me, and if someone doesn't like it, tough. Being a gamer would be the least of my issues lol.

I read anything of quality. I'm a fan of good writing .

ok cool. Here's a few.

The Expanse Series - SciFi, kinda Game of Thrones in space. There's a TV show out now too that's pretty good but the books are very fun and well written. Great world building and unique characters.

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay - A great book about two cousins in 1940's NYC who create a comic book superhero. This is one of my favorites and I don't have much else to say about it. it's amazing.

Hold The Dark - Crime fiction set in the remote Alaskan wilderness. A mother in a small village has her son killed by wolves and enlists the help of a wolf expert/hunter to kill the wolf. This one is pretty dark and tense but relatively short and very well written.

LA Confidential - One of my favorite "film noir but a book" novels. It's long, and expensive, but really really good. Again, it's been adapted into a great movie but the book has much more to it.

These are kinda all over the place but hopefully theres something in there that you like.

Totally am. I have accepted it and I'm fine with it. I always avoid talking about video games in public. And never, ever, spill any information that I could be knowledgeable in that area or wear anything related to gaming. I still play and read a lot about video games, I like that and considering how old I am now, I'll keep going on but I'll keep it to myself. I don't want to be associated to the toxicity of the gaming community.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
I've always liked playing games but have always distanced myself from the culture especially in the 90s. Neogaf is as far as I go into it and even then this place makes me cringe sometimes. I don't watch let's play, have no care about YouTubers or any media personalities nor do I follow or read about drama in the industry.

IrishNinja

some of y'all really out here applauding & patting yourselves on the back for taking pride in a widely popular hobby, what a time

I wonder though, is it the "fault" of the Internet? Seeing how people reacted to comics branching out(Milkshake for example), and how people reacted to Rue being black in the Hunger Games, black stormtrooper, etc I don't think the toxicity is unique to gaming communities. However, living in an age that allows us to easily capture and share these horrible moments made them very noticeable.

I am not defending the toxicity, or blaming the messenger, but I just wonder if other popular media has managed to gain that "respected art form" status because their toxicity wasn't as easily visible to the public back then.

Of course, the stigma of gaming goes beyond just gg and death threats and swatting, but those also existed in other popular medias back in their early days or continued to now. I mean, isn't comic-reading still considered a hobby for socially awkward nerds?

The toxicity, whether visible or not, really isn't helping at all.

yeah, was hoping my post listing other hobbies/communities conveyed that - the toxicity absolutely isn't limited to gaming, we just let corners like gg fester & it got more visible here.

idve wavered we fare better on average than say, anime fans but seeing the clear gg > alt right transition really makes me question that

Osukaa

Hell no!

I've been gaming for over 32 years and I wear that badge proudly. I was able to see gaming evolve from Atari to the current state its in right now. It has been an awesome journey and I'm looking forward to the next 30 years.

NandoGip

Ive always thought the title of "gamer" was dumb. I do much much more than play games.

Regarding shame tho, I dont tell people I play games tbh. I used to be open about it but then people judged me based off of the vocal shitheads we're all aware of. Since then I just keep it to myself

gattsu

Sure, you need to know the crowd. Like, you can't be a manchild around certain people and go full-nerd and only talk about gaming. I'm not gonna wear my gamer patch as a badge of pride if I know I'm gonna be judged. You need to be well rounded and be able to hold a conversation about other things as well. I think the term "gamer" is stupid, like, if I watched netflix all the time for fun, would I be a "netflixer"? (I get the argument for the term, it's a whole culture and identity, yadda yadda). Like, I am a software engineer first and foremost, that's what I tell people. In my freetime, I go running, I play video games, watch cheesy sitcoms with my wife, and I read a ton. I try to pick up a new skill every few months, like learning intermediate-level chess, or practicing figure drawing, or practice cooking more. I think it's incredibly dull to be defined by a single term of "gamer", and I wouldn't want someone to call me that, even though I spend a TON of time playing games.

With my close friends its a different story. We play games a few nights a week online, we talk about games, etc. But around my wife's friends? Hell no I'm not gonna boast about me being a "gamer". And that's fine. Different groups of people, I can hang out with both equally as well.

Just thought I'd share a slightly different take!

Kaji AF16

Of course not, it has been my main hobby for almost 30 years. To me, videogames are on the same level than books and music, for example. I read a lot, I listen to music constantly.

As a sociologist, though, I am very interested in the persistence of several gaming-related stigmas and in the self-perception of gamers when compared to people who engage in other activities (music, sports, other hobbies, etc.).

DerpHause

Nope. It seems like an odd social trend to distance oneself from a word that objectively is a good descriptor for some sort of stigma. Especially when, again objectively, you still continue to do the thing that makes the label fut perfectly, in this case playing games.

Not at all. I really don't care about what other people think about my hobby. Life is too short to let others' opinions affect what you enjoy in life.

JCHandsom

I'm not ashamed playing and liking video games/video game culture, but I am ashamed of "gamer" culture, with stuff like Ready Player One, the console wars, and the terrible self-reference Oroboros known as gamer-merch/clothing.

EDIT: Also the sexism, the racism, the homophobia, the willful ignorance at times, etc.

Dr. Buni

Considering the amount of misogynist, homophobic, transphobic and racist "gamers" there are, I sometimes am ashamed of being one.

Also, no one is called a "filmer" or "movier" for liking movies, not sure why the "gamer" term even exists.

RPGam3r

Ive always thought the title of "gamer" was dumb. I do much much more than play games.

Regarding shame tho, I dont tell people I play games tbh. I used to be open about it but then people judged me based off of the vocal shitheads we're all aware of. Since then I just keep it to myself

Why do people keep saying this? No where does it say you can only be categorized in one way. Being a gamer does not mean you only play games.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
I dunno where yall go where there is a stigma around playing video games. Can't say Ive ever run across that as an adult.

I do wear my interest for the medium on my sleeve. It's no different than my friends who are heavily into the music scene or film.

Why does everyone on this thread seem to think OP asked "Are you ashamed to play games?" not "Are you ashamed to be called a 'gamer'?"? In any case I find the moniker kind of annoying.

It reminds me of those bad T-shirts like "I'm married to a gamer" or whatever, makes me cringe. Especially when they come on stage at E3 and say things like "It's a great time to be a gamer" and I'm just like "I just play games, I don't want that Doritos and Dew connotation."

Not ashamed to be a gamer, most people I know don't give it a negative connotation, although I don't really wear any gamer clothing or talk about it all the time. I'm only ever ashamed when I see other gamers being asshats.

JCHandsom

I dunno where yall go where there is a stigma around playing video games. Can't say Ive ever run across that as an adult.

I do wear my interest for the medium on my sleeve. It's no different than my friends who are heavily into the music scene or film.

Does your sleeve look like this?

Something+similar+at+least+i+ll+see+if+i+can+find+_149ede4a04a72d4585ba74c9a9f52542.jpg

DerpHause

Why does everyone on this thread seem to think OP asked "Are you ashamed to play games?" not "Are you ashamed to be called a 'gamer'?"? In any case I find the moniker kind of annoying.

It reminds me of those bad T-shirts like "I'm married to a gamer" or whatever, makes me cringe. Especially when they come on stage at E3 and say things like "It's a great time to be a gamer" and I'm just like "I just play games, I don't want that Doritos and Dew connotation."

I don't think we're thinking what you seem to think we're thinking. For instance: I'm not thinking a gamer has anything inherently to do with doritos and dew, neither of which are games, it has to do with playing games.

Mifec

Considering the amount of misogynist, homophobic, transphobic and racist "gamers" there are, I sometimes am ashamed of being one.

Also, no one is called a "filmer" or "movier" for liking movies, not sure why the "gamer" term even exists.

You can enjoy games as a medium without labeling yourself as a gamer, it's what I do.

manfestival

I am more ashamed of the fact that I play table top games rather than video games. Anyways, I tell people but only when it gets brought up lol. Not a point of pride to be verbose but I don't hide my gamer self

Top Bottom