• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aren't Country Clubs "Safe-Spaces" for White People?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azzanadra

Agree with the other posters, they are more like "safe spaces" for rich people in general, who would predominately be white but they would not exclude the people of color if they have the cash.

Nosgotham

There have been a lot of debates about "Safe-Spaces" on college campuses the past couple weeks.

I feel like the people who take very hard line stances against Safe-Spaces are the exact same people who have no problem with the existence of country clubs.

Which seems hypocrital to me, because the whole point of Country Clubs is to provide their members a "safe space" that is completely isolated from Black, Brown, Asian and Jewish people.

What do you guys think?

Do I have a point or is this just a false equivalency?

wtf are you talking about?

they only give a shit about money. they reject all poor people, regardless of colour

Riposte

People have different expectations and demands for college campuses than they do for institutions like country clubs, unless you mean to say there is a strain of country clubs that are associated with colleges that people are turning a blind eye to, but I don't think that's the case. The larger conflict with safe-spaces come about when their expectation of "safeness" leaks into the general "space", with people using disruptive methods such as heckler's veto to prevent speech they do not like from occurring on the campus, even outside of the designated safe space (because it makes them feel unsafe). Basically, if there are spaces that are safe, then evidently everywhere else must be unsafe, so you'd want to make those spaces safe too. Country clubs are exclusive and distant, they do not spread into other spaces, unless you want change to argument to be about something like gentrification (I actually don't know if country clubs are used as starting points of gentrification).

wtf are you talking about?

they only give a shit about money. they reject all poor people, regardless of colour

Can't tell who is rich or poor when everyone is wearing bathing suits. White kids whose parents are members can invite their white friends, even if they are poor. A rich black kid who got invited to one of these country clubs would probably feel uncomfortable.

UrokeJoe

Can't tell who is rich or poor when everyone is wearing bathing suits. White kids whose parents are members can invite their white friends, even if they are poor. A rich black kid who got invited to one of these country clubs would probably feel uncomfortable.

You are funny.

inner-G

Banned
Agree with the other posters, they are more like "safe spaces" for rich people in general, who would predominately be white but they would not exclude the people of color if they have the cash.
I think a lot of rich/powerful people aren't even racist themselves, but they're good at pushing a narrative that keeps the poor people divided. A house divided cannot stand, and the people divided can't topple the oligarchy.

Poor people in South Central aren't that different than poor people in trailer parks in the Deep South whether they realize it or not. They've just been trained to blame each other for their position instead of the system funneling all our country's gains to the wealthy elite.

Well, while most country clubs are obnoxiously white, and some go out of their way to stay monolithic most don't nakedly restrict membership to white people and the people who go there are going for pools, golf, tennis and 11am alcohol rather than fleeing from Jews. So yeah it is a false equivalency but an interesting metaphor. There are also predominantly Jewish, Latino and black private clubs.

"Country clubs were founded by upper-class elites between 1880 and 1930.By 1907, country clubs were claimed to be “the very essence of American upper-class.” The number of country clubs increased exponentially with industrialization, the rise in incomes, and suburbanization in the 1920s. During the 1920s, country clubs acted as community social centers. However, the number of country clubs decreased drastically during the Great Depression for lack of membership funding.
Historically, many country clubs refused to admit members of minority racial groups as well those of specific faiths, such as Jews and Catholics. This was known as being “restricted”.Beginning in the 1960s civil rights lawsuits forced clubs to drop exclusionary policies, but de facto discrimination still occurs in cases until protest or legal remedies are brought to bear."

jacksnap

Neo Member
People have different expectations and demands for college campuses than they do for institutions like country clubs, unless you mean to say there is a strain of country clubs that are associated with colleges that people are turning a blind eye to, but I don't think that's the case. The larger conflict with safe-spaces come about when their expectation of "safeness" leaks into the general "space", with people using disruptive methods such as heckler's veto to prevent speech they do not like from occurring on the campus, even outside of the designated safe space (because it makes them feel unsafe). Basically, if there are spaces that are safe, then evidently everywhere else must be unsafe, so you'd want to make those spaces safe too. Country clubs are exclusive and distant, they do not spread into other spaces, unless you want change to argument to be about something like gentrification (I actually don't know if country clubs are used as starting points of gentrification).

I think you're confusing the intentions behind protesting and other forms of free speech (regardless of their asshole level) with the intentions behind the creation of safe spaces. They aren't the same.

On topic, no, for the same reason above. Country clubs aren't a specific place for whites or the rich to chill and not fear judgment from their peers - they get that for free everywhere they go.

notworksafe

Yeah, there's no Jews, Blacks, Latinos, or Asians in country clubs. Sure. You've never actually been to one, have you OP?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
"Country clubs were founded by upper-class elites between 1880 and 1930.By 1907, country clubs were claimed to be “the very essence of American upper-class.” The number of country clubs increased exponentially with industrialization, the rise in incomes, and suburbanization in the 1920s. During the 1920s, country clubs acted as community social centers. However, the number of country clubs decreased drastically during the Great Depression for lack of membership funding.
Historically, many country clubs refused to admit members of minority racial groups as well those of specific faiths, such as Jews and Catholics. This was known as being “restricted”.Beginning in the 1960s civil rights lawsuits forced clubs to drop exclusionary policies, but de facto discrimination still occurs in cases until protest or legal remedies are brought to bear."

Well duh , but why did you quote my post? Was I denying the above?

Yeah, there's no Jews, Blacks, Latinos, or Asians in country clubs. Sure. You've never actually been to one, have you OP?
I've spent my entire childhood living outside of one.

I've been inviting in a couple time by my friends parents.

Not a great time. There were a lot of glares.

What about predominately Asian country clubs?

rn55THz.gif

0LUS311.png

I'm the token white guy

BWUAA-HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Lebron

My parents had to go through some fuckery to join the one where they moved. Dad said he was surprised "colored folk" wasn't an option on the application.

Though the area they moved is a really old rich area in Texas, so yeah.

My parents had to go through some fuckery to join the one where they moved. Dad said he was surprised "colored folk" wasn't an option on the application.

Though the area they moved is a really old rich area in Texas, so yeah.

LOL @ Texas. Check out this interview with Tiger Woods when he was 14 years old in 1990 when asked about the prejudice in country clubs, he specifically calls out Texas and Florida.

https://youtu.be/Pw9iaKKrem0?t=225

Regiruler

Can't say I've been to one during the day. I used to go to one for a Cotillion back in middle school in the evening, but I didn't really see anybody other than staff members.

There's a nearby road that has country club hedge wall on both sides and is a very pleasant drive at night.

Christopher

You seem racist harboring the thoughts you do.

MisterR

Rich white people don't have poor white friends.

Not that I am against safe spaces, but I don't think that most people against safe spaces think that all-white country clubs are okay - at the very least, they wouldn't say as much if grilled on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom