• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aren't Country Clubs "Safe-Spaces" for White People?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A safe space for rich whites maybe. Try entering my local one not looking like a walking rich, golfer stereotype and see how long you last.

PSqueak

Banned
No, ideally a safe space doesn't charge you to be in it, a private club might shield you from outsiders and get you close to like minded people, but that's not a safe space in definition.

Any safe space that charges you to be in it is a scam.

The goal of college is to educate you and challenge you to be better and think about things outside your comfort zone.

The goal of a country club is to relax and business network.

A better comparison to a country club would be a bar or night club that is known for only playing one type of music or catering to a specific crowd - country, hip hop, gay bar, 80s music, etc.

phanphare

Banned
more of a safe-space for wealthy people, not necessarily white people, as has been brought up

it sure as hell isn't a safe-space for me lol

I used to work at a country club and it was predominantly white but still pretty diverse. Just to be a member was $40,000 per family up front, then it was like $500 per month after that. There was a 2 year wait just to get in too....
It's amazing how much disposable income the top 1% has

I manage a country club and it's predominately upper to middle class Americans who like to think and act like they are the top 1%. However, we have a lot of Asian members and some black and Hispanic members. Naturally a lot of the white members are hardcore republicans and a lot of the older, richer white members are racist. However, the reason people sign up for country clubs is as a way to get away from work/home life, relax and have fun. A lot of people sign up to be apart of a community, make friends and meet new people. It's a predominately white person affair. While there are many people there that say and do vile things, there are also a lot of well intentioned people at country clubs.

Out of curiosity, if anyone knows, how much does it cost to become a member at a country club? I'm guessing their is a huge variance here, but I've never actually thought about it before.

v1lla21

Majority are white but I would say it's more of a safe space for wealthy people. Gf used to work at one and there was a fair amount of Asian members and a few black and latino members. Not all members were assholes, some of them were very cool.

Zoe

Out of curiosity, if anyone knows, how much does it cost to become a member at a country club? I'm guessing their is a huge variance here, but I've never actually thought about it before.

The one I'm aware of in Austin is said to be $35k with monthly dues costing a few hundred. Local memberships are capped at 475 members.

http://www.howmuchisit.org/uni-texas-golf-club-cost/

My credit union offers a loan specifically for this club :lol

There is a ton of variance depending on many factors. More upscale and renown clubs are obviously a lot more expensive. There also are equity country clubs where members actually own the club and make most decisions for the club. Most equity clubs are going under because the members made stupid decisions like making them open 24 hours or charging ridiculously cheap prices. The country club I manage at 15 years ago had an initiation fee of $17,000 on top of paying a thousand dollars every month. Now we don't have an initiation fee and their member dues each month are only around $500. We now make a lot more revenue from outside events such as weddings which allows us to offer lower membership costs. We are doing about 70 weddings this year and a bit over a million dollars in revenue from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom