• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ark: Survival Evolved – PC vs. Xbox One Graphics Comparison

thelastword

Banned
Indeed, that's a hell of a downgrade in spite of the usual arguments (fixed specs, lower level APIs, "optimizing for the hardware"....)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=188600999&postcount=26

I suppose the counter argument is "wait for Directx 12 guys!", but the Xbox One API is already very low level so....

That said it's definitely true you need much more CPU power than consoles to do the same thing, in most cases but thus far on the GPU side it has not been true to anywhere near the same extent.
In fact I can't think of a single game where you need significantly (>30%) GPU power than the Xbox One for parity, will the next AAA games confirm or break that trend ? We shall see. I asked the same question to someone of seemingly great knowledge on the subject (FordGTGuy) but surprisingly he never answered.

Who to believe ? Apologists like Fortgtguy or the moutain of evidence ? Hum.

Don't worry. It is early access. I'm sure it will improve massively later on.
not
Jabs?

Even on PC, I don't think it looks all that great to warrant such drastic cuts on the XB1 ( as weak as that GPU is). We've heard that this game is making really strong PC's sweat, so it's not out of the ordinary to believe that this is what they could muster on the XB1.

The question is, is this the best the XB1 can do or is the dev not that great at optimizing code. Does this game really warrant such heavy hardware usage......? Even on PC?

Nzyme32

Keep in mind you are judging 2 early access games that are still developing. The game runs somewhat similarly on low end PCs at the moment, and I have no idea when they are actually considering releasing proper

natertots

I played the Xbox One version for about an hour and while it doesn't look the greatest, it is in Early Access still. I'm sure it will improve over time. It's not like it's the full release or anything.

tuxfool

Banned
It probably will but that will not be restricted to the console versions.
With Directx 12 on both sides this is going to be a very good comparison between PC and console efficiency.

I'm joking. These are the developer that stated that the dx12 version of the game had a 30% performance improvement across the board. The dx12 version that was coming soon, but got pulled.

I'm kind of skeptical especially given how dx12 performs currently in UE4.

Kezen

Banned
Jabs?

Even on PC, I don't think it looks all that great to warrant such drastic cuts on the XB1 ( as weak as that GPU is). We've heard that this game is making really strong PC's sweat, so it's not out of the ordinary to believe that this is what they could muster on the XB1.

The question is, is this the best the XB1 can do or is the dev not that great at optimizing code. Does this game really warrant such heavy hardware usage......?

Whether or not this is what the Xbone hardware can achieve at its peak is not the point, because for all intents and purposes current PC hardware should also run it better. But that does not change the fact that surprisingly we do not see this huge, game-changing console optimization at work here, I mean how incredibly shocking is that.

It's most likely unoptimized on both PC and Xbox One but should that mean the latter is going to trump a R7 260/360 ? That's the whole point.
What GPU is needed to match the Xbone, whether optimized or not. We know that the Xbone API exposes more GPU features than the 2009 Directx 11 (async compute for one) so theoretically performance should be greater if they make use of said feature.
I guess more 2016 games will stretch the old DX11 thin, and I'm curious to see to which extent this will impact performance.

It should be noted that Directx 12 on PC does expose async compute so even then if the game on PC uses it, it is not impossible it performs almost identically on a R7 260/360 and Xbone, putting the console optimization claims in a totally different perspective.

The question is, is this the best the XB1 can do or is the dev not that great at optimizing code. Does this game really warrant such heavy hardware usage......? Even on PC?

I think the game is making use some of the higher end ue4 features if I am not mistaken, like distance field shadows and what not. That, and I generally hear that UE4s performance in open world with lots of dynamic shadows leaves much to be desired.

One must not forget, that a lot of UE4s graphics demos make use of a lot of baking to get them running well. Infiltrator, for example. Or even paragon recently, the game play demo showed how the world shadowing was a static. On the other hand, this game is using all the real time rendering features in UE4, that may or may not be the best performing ones I imagine.
Fable Legends is on XB1, though I don't know if they have released any footage of that version or if has been all PC.

it looks gorgeous on xb1 from what I have seen in person, but, at the same tie its performance was ~30 and it has some intense LODs (read 2 meters or so)

etta

my hard graphic balls
Gameplay, controller, friends, UI, achievements...
:p
As opposed to PC and PS4 players?
I don't get it. The poster wanted to dis the XBO (never mind that it does have some pretty incredible-looking games), but it wasn't a well thought-out dis.

I'm joking, you sure noticed that ":p" part in spoiler.
Oh, ok. Well, regardless of the joke, I think that was their intention.

Whatevs.

Chobel

As opposed to PC and PS4 players?
I don't get it. The poster wanted to dis the XBO (never mind that it does have some pretty incredible-looking games), but it wasn't a well thought-out of a dis.

I'm joking, you sure noticed that ":p" part in spoiler.

low-G

It'll be nice when the devs get around to optimizing it for X1 AND PC, but it's still a neat game with a unique theme IMO. I've enjoyed the PC version.

Yoday

I'm pretty sure it's something like 480p with AA.
Yep, I really want to see a tech analysis of it, as I am pretty sure it is 480p or at least very close to it. I went into the trial expecting 720p, and I was shocked by what I saw on screen. Anyone that goes into this needs to do so with the understanding that it is clearly about as early access as you can get.

Bungie

On Xbox One there's a motion blur setting that's on by default, when it's off the game is so much more clear.

to be expected. i mean the game already looks poor and runs abysmally on the fastest pc hardware.

i mean even the strongest supporters of console optimization cant expect much of a game that just barely hits 60 fps at 1080p on medium settings on an overclocked 980ti.

Perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me, but Crysis 1 on 360 looked better than the xbone version?

UnGRXyc.jpg

1889048-crysis_consoli6sib.jpg

spooky action

rogue74

My son plays this on my PC. He loves the game, but seems to be very unoptimized.

I am running an i5 6600k with a 960 4GB. I know the 960 isn't exactly speedy but I had to turn down the settings for him a good deal before this seemed playable. In the video settings menu there is a popup that tells you the recommended card for each preset. If I remember correctly their medium settings is asking for 770 minimum. The lowest preset wants a 660. Just odd.

Then there are the load times. He has been playing since before we upgrade from my old AMD Phenom X4 build. That machine ran the game off an HD and the initial load times were horrendous. Hadn't seen anything like it in quite a while. The new rig has an SSD and the load times improved significantly but I still wouldn't call it speedy.

I know it is early access and I think things have gotten better overall recently, but damn it was rough.

ShogunX

Not sure what people expected to be honest. It hardly looks great and the visuals are pretty distracting at times when playing but this is a game giving a 980ti a run for it's money.

The best graphics cards on the market are struggling with this game, what chance do the consoles have? Hopefully with more optimisation the resolution can at least increase and the frame rate be locked, but I'm not hopeful even more would have to be sacrificed to achieve that.

Played the hour preview on xb1, barely made it through 20 mins of playing. It runs like absolute shit on XB1, screen was tearing every step I took honestly. It might be running at 720p, but I can't confirm it at all. I just know that it was pretty blurry when I played it the other day..

Corine

Jabs?

Yeah it really does warrant the heavy hardware usage. I don't know of a more technically demanding game that's officially releasing next year. Big open world where every plant, tree, and rock is it's own entity. Along with being able to have 20+ people all on different dinos with everything having it's own custom paint job. Add in all the crazy base building and yeah that's going to bring any hardware to it's knees. I have a huge base with around 100 dinos myself. Put in 100+ more of those on a server and even top of the line hardware is going to struggle. That's not even figuring in all the physics and advanced graphical effects it's doing.

FinKL

Not sure what people expected to be honest. It hardly looks great and the visuals are pretty distracting at times when playing but this is a game giving a 980ti a run for it's money.

The best graphics cards on the market are struggling with this game, what chance do the consoles have? Hopefully with more optimisation the resolution can at least increase and the frame rate be locked, but I'm not hopeful even more would have to be sacrificed to achieve that.

This, a $650 graphics card is "struggling" to pull 30 fps on reasonable settings 1080p, there was absolutely no way the XBO would be up for the task without sacrifices, but I'm sure they are going to do what they can.

I see kids all the time play laggy ass Minecraft on underpowered smartphones and use on screen controllers for hours at a time. Do you think they care about graphics or frame rate? Nope, and if they see this game, they are probably going to think it looks fun and awesome

yeah, the game is not well optimized on PC, either.

The target release date is summer of 2016 and it shows. Fun game, though.

thelastword

Banned
Yeah it really does warrant the heavy hardware usage. I don't know of a more technically demanding game that's officially releasing next year. Big open world where every plant, tree, and rock is it's own entity. Along with being able to have 20+ people all on different dinos with everything having it's own custom paint job. Add in all the crazy base building and yeah that's going to bring any hardware to it's knees. I have a huge base with around 100 dinos myself. Put in 100+ more of those on a server and even top of the line hardware is going to struggle. That's not even figuring in all the physics and advanced graphical effects it's doing.
So basically, a game that requires a good CPU and a good network (reliable connection). It's a decent looking game, but not as good looking as I first thought, textures are very spotty even on PC, some of those trees don't look too hot and even some of those pre-historic fauna are not really impressive.

The reveal trailer looked amazing though, but I guess that goes without saying in this day and age......I was still stoked to pick it up a few days back, as it was recently on a steam sale, but I guess I'll have to wait till I finish my PC build. Still waiting for the 6700k to be in stock at MSRP prices......

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I can confirm that the game is mega blurry. Played quite a bit now. Blurry as hell, framedrops from hell, shitasstic draw distance etc. Still fun as hell though with the squad.

Tried the trial for like 15min...
My god its ugly, and the screen tearing damn...
It looks like a sub 720p game for sure...
It runs like shit also alot of hickups and low fps moments.
Hopefully the ps4 version which i would get if i choose to buy this game looks better and runs better then this...

thelastword

Banned
I think they said there's a PS4 version coming. And I bet it won't look much better than what you're seeing in this thread.
Like all the other multiplats that don't look much better on the PS4 I imagine.....Just like the PC version don't look much better than this XB1 version perhaps.....

Top Bottom