• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS - Nintendo Switch (Motion [optional] controlled boxing, Nintendo, Spring 2017)

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
looks like a surprisingly fun title, maybe the switches 'excite truck'

Are there any pro controller impressions on this? Im having a hard time justifying this game because a second pair of controllers + grip (id want the grip for other games) is $110 before tax!

Im getting a pro controller anyways, but idk I feel like id be spending $140-$170 if I bought this to play with my wife.

Doorman

I think the comparisons to Splatoon's day 1 appeal are pretty accurate, not necessarily for what each game turns out to be but for what they're showing off the bat and how people initially reacted to it. Remember that the first time Splatoon appeared, most anything people saw of it was Turf War, with just a couple of weapons and specials and that was it. "Looks like a fun little downloadable title but it seems like it would get old quickly." This before we saw any of the ranked mode rulesets, or the gear leveling system, or the single player missions, or the hub world, or future balance upgrades, or additional characters, and on and on.

If ARMS follows in even a little bit of that same path, then we're already off to a good start. The demo mode shows off five characters who each have their own gameplay tweaks (different health values, movement options, self-healing, etc), and on top of that choosing between three different glove types on each individual hand per-round means that right out of the gate we're seeing more strategy and customization than we did in Splatoon's reveal. Obviously the final game will have more than 5 characters, and it wouldn't surprise me if more punch types are unlockable for each fighter down the road in some fashion. I don't know if it would get the same level of continued free support like Splatoon did over time but I feel pretty good about Nintendo providing enough to the package to justify it being a full game. I think they have some faith in it.

Incidentally...I'm wondering if there are plans to include modes where you fight more than one person, either in single player or even multi-brawls. The fact that your opponents' health bar and frenzy meter hover around them rather than being static on your HUD somewhere feels like a curious decision to me, like you may eventually be managing more than one health-bar at a time.

AGoodODST

After watching the Treehouse stream and reading some impressions this has become one of my most anticipated titles. Only problem is, much like most of the software, it won't be at launch.

Really looking forward to finding out about additional content. I keep imagining the possibilities for single player. Hopefully they go beyond just an Arcade/Tournment thing like Pokken.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
What I think could really help this game is a diverse single player challenge mode.
Go against a ton of weak generic crash-test-dummy (or jack-in-the-box) enemies simultaneously that each require only a few (well targeted) hits before their heads pop off like a spring etc, have some puzzle levels where the enemies are constantly shielding in your direction and you have to curve your punches around the shield.

Basically ARMS reminds me of Skyward Sword's whip mechanic and I'd like to see some combat puzzles in that style tailormade to this game and its various different characters and weapons.
Another must have in my opinion are levels where you just completely wreck shit up with destructible physics. That could be tons of fun.

What I think could really help this game is a diverse single player challenge mode.
Go against a ton of weak generic crash-test-dummy (or jack-in-the-box) enemies simultaneously that each require only a few (well targeted) hits before their heads pop off like a spring etc, have some puzzle levels where the enemies are constantly shielding in your direction and you have to curve your punches around the shield.

Basically ARMS reminds me of Skyward Sword's whip mechanic and I'd like to see some combat puzzles in that style tailormade to this game and its various different characters and weapons.
Another must have in my opinion are levels where you just completely wreck shit up with destructible physics. That could be tons of fun.

Yeah, I'm really hoping for interesting single player content. Something along the lines of Splatoon's SP would work for me.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Hoping for a pretty good singleplayer mode otherwise the cost might be a bit too much for me to swallow for what it seems to be. Or if they give some really meaty mp only stuff, I was ok with paying full price for overwatch for example.

Nuu

Banned
So the people who played the game. Does it play better with or without motion controls?

Does playing the game with motion controls offer advantages over not using motion controls?

Got to play it at the NYC event. Lots of people were playing it. Was pretty fun. A lot of cool strata to it.

At first, controls were really hard to do. By the third round I felt more comfortable though. I used ribbon girl (she can jump like 3 times) and the mecha chick(apparently she can hover but I couldn't mech it happen). Both felt like totally different characters. Motion controls did what I wanted 90% of the time. A bit of a delay when doing the blocking motion.

Watching other people who were better than me, they were doing some crazy setups! Looked awesome.

Edit: I should also say it was one of the better looking games there. Zelda looked beautiful, this would be right under it.

Splatoon, Fast RMX(multiplayer) had lots of jaggies. Bomberman and USF2 looked good though.

Totakeke

I played this just now and it was great fun.

I don't think it's easy to pick up for people not used to dual stick movements though, I definitely was fighting the controls to remind me that I have to tilt both of the joycons in the same direction for movement. It also feels a bit weird that you can't simultaneously attack and move at the same time because punching would negate your movement input. I definitely had to wrap my head around that instead of kept wondering why I wasn't moving fluidly. I'm definitely curious how that works without motion controls because there's nothing stopping me from tilting left on the analog stick while still pressing punch buttons.

The other interesting thing about the controls is that the timing of the twist controls how far your punch twists. If you twist early the punch will twist early as well and if you twist late it would twist later and much less. The rep also mentioned that if you both punch at the same time, the heavier/bigger gloves would knock the smaller ones away, so that's another strategical element to the game. When your punches get parried you get exclamation marks on that side and you can't punch with it nor use your special move for some time.

Another thing I didn't get the hang of is the timing of the punches. It feels like there is a lot to be gained by timing your punches right in a one-two fashion. If you punch at the same time you obviously will trigger a grab but if you're counter punching and you know you will hit, you want to do a one-two punch so that you hit with both hits instead of just the second punch not hitting the enemy in time. There's definitely a lot of timing involved with how the punches travel ahead and then how long it takes to punch again once it comes back so there's good depth there.

HeroR

This has the bones to be a great game. Splatoon also seemed barebones and people thought it wouldn't have a single player mode and would just have turf wars. Knowing Nintendo, I'm certain there is more to be seen. Whether it's worth $60 is a personal decision.

This game along with Mario Kart should be at launch.. I dont get what they were thinking with the delay??

If a game isn't ready, it shouldn't be released. Rushing games for launch is why we have the launch day blues. Also, any first party Nintendo game that is aimed for the gamer will be overshadowed by Zelda.

Doorman

This game along with Mario Kart should be at launch.. I dont get what they were thinking with the delay??

Who's to say that it was a delay? Maybe the game simply isn't ready yet, or they're working on adding more content to it. Maybe it's just a nitpick on my part but using wording like this makes it sound like you have some information that it was originally planned to be a day-one title when that may have never been true.

Totakeke

I also don't get the obsession that games have to be at the launch date, what if it comes out a month later? Just buy the game or even the console then. It won't kill you.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I also don't get the obsession that games have to be at the launch date, what if it comes out a month later? Just buy the game or even the console then. It won't kill you.

If a critical mass of system sellers aren't out in time it will not kill us, it will kill the system.
That's what people on GAF are worried about.

If a critical mass of system sellers aren't out in time it will not kill us, it will kill the system.
That's what people on GAF are worried about.
Well that's Nintendos problem. If they fail they fail. I'm happy it's coming. Kimishima could've launched it in November this year and I would've been fine with it and I doubt anybody here would've complained. Or he could've launched it in April atleast, but being so early in March makes it look bad.

HeroR

Also, March isn't a big game selling month. This isn't like November or December when even the more casual person will buy several games at once. As long as Nintendo has at least one big game a month now until E3, it should do fine. Which seems to be the case since Mario Kart 8 is April. Maybe this game will be May or June. (this doesn't include third-parties)

Obviously it's boosted by the fact it's one of the few titles announced at the conference, but I'm really happy to see Arms having more than a million views on its youtube trial, and with few thumbs down. Really need this to do well so we can have another Nintendo IP stick around.

OryoN

Has online play been confirmed for this one?

I can see people getting really skilled at this game, which will make online encounters between high-level players really interesting to see/experience. I picture something akin to playing Wii Sports Tennis online, but with a lot more depth, and ultimately fun.

This one is on my radar.

I can see people getting really skilled at this game, which will make online encounters between high-level players really interesting to see/experience. I picture something akin to playing Wii Sports Tennis online, but with a lot more depth, and ultimately fun.

This one is on my radar.
It has been.

Future

This actually looks good. Easy to watch and register whats going on. Clear openings for counters. Character look is pretty good. Motion Controls seem like it will make some of it more casual friendly

Not bad

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I love the fact that we are getting another new IP from Nintendo that it's using new characters and has the potential to become a successful game based solely on the idea behind it. And so soon after Splatoon.

This one is on my radar.

Why do people insist on comparing this to the simple minigames found in Wii Sports? It's like saying Zelda is akin to the fencing quest in Wii Sports Resort, but more expanded.

It's made by the Mario Kart team and I can't remember the last game of theirs that wasn't full of features

Eh, pretty terrible footage. People playing are terrible.

The best vídeo I've seem so far from the game (explaining quite a bit of the mechanics):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU6pMr1BKec

Totally sleeper hit of the show to me. Looks real fun. Hopefully it will come with campaign and more characters than the 5 they showed.

I think they're doing the same thing like Splatoon. When they first showed Splatoon all they showed was online Turf War and nothing else.

Oxirane

Any info on a single player campaign or other non-versus modes (e.g. Horde-like)?

Also, I think a character with more than 2 arms could be useful for 'Younger Sibling Mode'

Top Bottom