• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
If Ninjara has built a charge from guarding, does he lose it after he actually blocks a shot and teleports?
Yup you lose it. Probably for the best.

edit: Of course if you keep the controllers in that position you will still be guarding and get it back pretty quick.

Durden77

Ok cool, so now that I know that wide grabs are a thing, do we know if there's any benefit to NOT doing one? Like is there less recovery if you do a regular grab or something? Or should you pretty much be doing wide grabs all the time?

Moondrop

Banned
Ok cool, so now that I know that wide grabs are a thing, do we know if there's any benefit to NOT doing one? Like is there less recovery if you do a regular grab or something? Or should you pretty much be doing wide grabs all the time?
Wide grabs are easier to disrupt with a punch.

The speed seems the same but if the arms are going farther apart it might affect the recovery

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Huh. Ninjara garbage tier then? lol
Haha. Actually I have come to find the block teleport turtle strategy and air-dash grab spam to be sort of deceptive newbie tech for him that one needs to grow out of as they improve. I don't rely on either one much anymore. The block teleport is amazing for certain Rushes though.
Wide grabs are easier to disrupt with a punch.
I never thought of that. Hmmm
The speed seems the same but if the arms are going farther apart it might affect the recovery
I don't believe recovery is affected, I haven't tested with a stopwatch though.

Personally, I do wide grabs 100% of the time now. If I don't do it's because I screwed up or was too close for it to have an impact.

heringer

Ok, don't quote me on that, but I think playing the get arms minigame at 200 gives the character you pick a higher chance of getting a new arm. Playing at 100 overall gives you more bang for your buck, but the arms are more spread out. I just played and out of 16 or so arms, the character I picked got like 8 arms.

I might be wrong, though.

gyrspike

Neo Member
Enhanced throw damage you are a probably seeing is coming from Plus arms. Each plus arm you are using adds 5 to throw damage Hawkian Gore.

Ok, don't quote me on that, but I think playing the get arms minigame at 200 gives the character you pick a higher chance of getting a new arm. Playing at 100 overall gives you more bang for your buck, but the arms are more spread out. I just played and out of 16 or so arms, the character I picked got like 8 arms.

In the arms getter you're twice as likely to get ARMS for who you're using

molnizzle

In my experience the first arm you get is always for your chosen character. After that is a crapshoot.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

This happens regardless of which length, you just see the effect in a more pronounced way in a 200 because you're getting more total XD probablitiessssss
This is great! I'll add it to the OP in a bit. :)
Thank you so much!!

gyrspike

Neo Member
Really Gore? The YouTube vid of the guy who got all the plus arms mentions it and clearly shows examples of him getting 155 and 160 damage throws with characters.

https://youtu.be/A_XZseN1_9g

On looking at it again it's only certain arms that get it, mostly heavy.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Really Gore? The YouTube vid of the guy who got all the plus arms mentions it and clearly shows examples of him getting 155 and 160 damage throws with characters.

https://youtu.be/A_XZseN1_9g

On looking at it again it's only certain arms that get it, mostly heavy.
Well there you go then. + Poppers won't have that effect (GOOD)

Anything other than heavy get the effect? Or is this conclusive enough to add "Heavy +arms add an additional 5 throw damage" to the FAQ?

edit: It's just Megaton, Megawatt, Guardian, and Whammer. Poor blorb lol. Also Guardian redeemed

Leafy's attention to detail is fucking nuts. Great dude.

molnizzle

Hawkian/someone should do a FAQ that lists the differences between each character. It's tedious to have to consult the help menu. Just going through the grand prix I never know what the deal is with each character.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hawkian/someone should do a FAQ that lists the differences between each character. It's tedious to have to consult the help menu. Just going through the grand prix I never know what the deal is with each character.
Look in the paragraph at the very top of the thingee. Or here! Complete with some advanced gore tips lol.

edit: *eye twitches* I should put that list in alphabetical order though.

MDave

I can definitely feel Helix is really damn good at dodging now, very short recovery times and a hitbox that constantly changes shape and size. I see how he can throw people off with his puddle mode (dodges a lot of throws for me!) and against good Twintelle players he negates her slow speed with his tower mode that lets you get an attack in on one that's coming out of slow mode. I can almost feel their frustration :p

It's definitely best to stay mid to far range with him though. But even then, when I get close or they get close, I go into jumping and puddle mode like crazy to rapidly adjust my height which makes most grab and punches miss me.

And most definitely need to get his non-default arms too.

Crash331

I'm stuck on the brass guy on rank 4. Frustrating as hell. I don't even know if I want to play ranked online if everyone there is good enough to beat rank 4 solo.

MDave

I'm stuck on the brass guy on rank 4. Frustrating as hell. I don't even know if I want to play ranked online if everyone there is good enough to beat rank 4 solo.

Dragon lasers and keep your distance, the bosses AI can't seem to cope too well with it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
what if I told you he's not the boss on 4 XD

Stick with it. Who and what arms are you using against him?

I can't play enough to be competitive, just like Mario Kart (I used to be amazing when I had more free time) so I just will enjoy my time in small bursts. Still really love it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Dragon lasers and keep your distance, the bosses AI can't seem to cope too well with it.
You can't just equip new arms in the middle of a GP, right...? Right???

edit:

Oh, lol. yeah, didn't think so.

I don't have a ton of experience with them and ordinarily I think they're incredible, but I'm not sure if poppers are a good choice for Max. What else do you have available?

If you're having trouble with rank 4, make sure you're using every game mechanic. It's easy if you do that.

Recap:

Block
Dodge
Jump
Charge Punch
Punch
Punch Curving
Character-specific ability
Throw
Movement (grounded)
Items
Supers

Also, watch the replay. Whenever you get hit, figure out why. Did you neglect a mechanic? Did you try something that would've worked, but screwed it up somehow? Did you try something that was never gonna work anyway? There's always a reason.

Grand Prix Level 4 is intended to be a gatekeeper. Don't counterpick/cheese the AI, guys. Online is far "worse." If you don't win vs CPU straight-up, you won't win online.

Crash331

If you're having trouble with rank 4, make sure you're using every game mechanic. It's easy if you do that.

Recap:

Block
Dodge
Jump
Charge Punch
Punch
Punch Curving
Character-specific ability
Throw
Movement (grounded)
Items
Supers

Also, watch the replay. Whenever you get hit, figure out why. Did you neglect a mechanic? Did you try something that would've worked, but screwed it up somehow? Did you try something that was never gonna work anyway? There's always a reason.

I can't block very well because it's on th stupid left stick button.

I don't even know how charging works.

Crash331

You can't just equip new arms in the middle of a GP, right...? Right???

edit:

Oh, lol. yeah, didn't think so.

I don't have a ton of experience with them and ordinarily I think they're incredible, but I'm not sure if poppers are a good choice for Max. What else do you have available?

Just the defaults. The normal gloves and the slapamander. I've only unlocked 2-3 extra arms.

If you hit someone and it doesn't register is that due to internet lag, netcode, or something else? Been a few times today that has happened and it's pretty frustrating to hit someone and then suddenly be in their grasp for a throw.

Edit: to be clear this hasn't happened before tonight, which makes me think it's Internet. Mine or theirs.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I can't block very well because it's on th stupid left stick button.

I don't even know how charging works.
oooh. You my good friend were not ready for GP4. You must have had some rough matches on the way to Brass right? :eek: Don't hesitate to go back to 3 and be confident in easily blazing through that before moving on.

By holding block, dash, or jump, your arms will charge up for a time, become more powerful, and often take on additional properties depending on the arms equipped.

Blocking on L3 does sound awful but I won't sit here and try to convince you to try motion controls at the second to last boss of a hard difficulty ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What are your other Arm options besides poppers for him?
Sure you can. Save and exit, set arms, and you'll be right back in it. That's why people were talking about "save scumming" earlier in the thread.
Mind blown

I've become so accustomed to feeling like I needed to pick the set I was going to do for the whole GP that I am going to pretend I never learned this
Just the defaults. The normal gloves and the slapamander. I've only unlocked 2-3 extra arms.
Ah, so you wouldn't have the Dragons to pop on anyway.

I'm not too familiar with any of them sadly, but I think your best bet may be to go double slapamander, keep your distance, charge and smack. Max has huge recovery times on most of his arm choices so just wait for the opening.

Omg was playing ranked in Kyoto station and just got swarmed by 70 Japanese kids on a school trip.
All shouting Nintendo switch!! Arms, Mario kart, Minecraft! Sugoy! Japan kids are the best.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
i don't give a crap what you all think I'm gonna stan for Snek Park forever

Hitting a wide throw with Ninjara from both people on the spinners, kicking them off their spinner, teleport-dashing backward onto my spinner without touching the ground, that's gaming bliss right there i tell you what

I just beat level 4 grand prix/hedlok and I feel like I accomplished something far more significant than what I actually did lol
I thought it was tough as nails too.

Biske

Omg was playing ranked in Kyoto station and just got swarmed by 70 Japanese kids on a school trip.
All shouting Nintendo switch!! Arms, Mario kart, Minecraft! Sugoy! Japan kids are the best.

That sounds pretty freaking awesome. Other people playing out in the wild too?

molnizzle

Guys FYI if you're not paying attention to other threads, Switch firmware 3.0 is out and it adds wired communication to the Pro controller when docked. I know some of you tryhards in here might be looking to shave some milliseconds off your reaction times. 😏

Biske

Guys FYI if you're not paying attention to other threads, Switch firmware 3.0 is out and it adds wired communication to the Pro controller when docked. I know some of you tryhards in here might be looking to shave some milliseconds off your reaction times. 😏

I can't help but admire your salt. Are we friends? Come join me in party room and have some fun

Top Bottom