• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

That sounds pretty freaking awesome. Other people playing out in the wild too?
Only seen a few, Nintendo need to ship more stock for these kids ):

The school trip kids are always really friendly and say hello and nice to meet you in English, but as soon as they saw the switch they just went nuts for it.

Salaadin

I'm not exactly sure what's happening but twice now, it feels like I fought someone and, no matter what I did, I couldn't get past their giant ball hands. I just spend the second half of every fight bouncing off of them

DrDogg

How do you beat a turtle Master Mummy?

They shield, wait for the grab, then punch throught it?

Get in close and play chicken with them. They have to guess when you're going to attempt a throw. If they guess wrong I get a charged stun into grab. Once I score a knockdown it's all about maintaining that pressure and staying on top of them.

Try not to attack first though. You want to bait them into attacking. It's near impossible to dodge a throw at point blank range, so they have to guess when you're going to do it.

The Guardian is a light arm? Most useless arm? And to think I spent a chunk of time trying to fit it into my game. I'm very curious as to how it's supposed to be used I just can't fathom why they'd include an arm that reduces your movement speed and allows other arms to just dodge around it easily while leaving you open to grabs as well.

Since it is involved in Helix's primary setup I imagine with his high/low dodging capabilities the Guardian can perhaps be interesting to use?

Also Byte&Barqs stats are objectively lower than the rest of the roster.

Guardian doesn't have a weight class, so I'm not sure why it's listed as light. If it had to be listed as something it should be heavy. It basically blocks everything in shield form and trades with everything when you push it forward after the shield.

I don't think my Helix is a good one yet, I haven't touched ranked mode as I am still in preparation of my own personal training with him :p Party mode is my experimentation grounds hah! That and I need to unlock a few more arms for him, currently using Chilla fists (charged, they do 10+ more damage then charged Sparky fists). I'm also in the UK, so lag might be an issue especially if you are on the west coast or abouts :p

Chilla doesn't give you guaranteed followup. Sparky means I get a free throw for at least 150 more damage.

Has anyone seen DrDogg? It's been a while

I'm here, but it's Monday. I have work to do.

I also don't really have a desire to play the game. I got to rank 10 this morning, but there's no leaderboard and it seems ranked stops at 15 so there's no real point in playing ranked. Party Match is terrible for a competitive player since it's designed to be as casual friendly as possible. In addition, 90% of the matches in ranked are turtle fests that end in a time out. Just boring to play overall. Doesn't help that there isn't a good training mode, so it's difficult to lab anything.

I think I'm too competitive for this game to be fun at this point. Maybe if Nintendo offered better netcode, adjusted the fundamentals of the game (not happening), added a leaderboard and maybe casual 1v1 with a FT3 round setup it would offer more enjoyment for me. As it stands it's just boring to play now. I might hop into the GAF room later tonight, but after that I may call it on Arms.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ten characters, three default Arms per chacter- 30 arms so far.

I've organized them here, grouped by the "throw type" or "class" (not sure if these are official terms, so these labels may be different elsewhere).

If you want to look something up but can't quite remember it by name, here they all are in alphabetical order, for CTRL + F purposes:
| Blorb | Boomerang | Buff | Bubb | Chakram | Chilla | Coolerang | Cracker | Dragon | Guardian | Homie | Hydra | Ice Dragon | Megaton | Megawatt | Parasol | Phoenix | Popper | Ramram | Retorcher | Revolver | Seekie | Slamamander | Slapamander | Sparky | Thunderbird | Toaster | Triblast | Tribolt | Whammer |

First, some general notes that apply to all ARMS and the interplay between them.

Weight

Arms have either a Light, Medium, or Heavy weight, with a simple "greater-than" dynamic (not rock-paper-scissors as sometimes misnamed).

Punching at one another:
When Arms match weights, they will both fall to the ground, and then recover to both players.
When a heavier arm hits a lighter arm, the heavier weight beats the lighter.

So,
Light matches Light and beats nothing.
Medium beats Light, matches Medium and is beaten by Heavy.
Heavy mathches Heavy, and beats everything else.

During rush, all Arms gain +1 weight. A Heavy can beat anything except another Rush Heavy, a Rush Medium matches a regular heavy and beats a regular medium, and so on.

One unique note on priority in addition to the weight classes: The rapid-fire Multi-Shot arms, Revolver and Retorcher, can but thought of as firing three lights in a row. against a single Light Arm attack two of the three shots will still penetrate, fired through two Light Arms, a single shot may still penetrate. Mediums and Heavys simply absord all three shots.

Plus Arms

When you unlocked a duplicate of an Arm you already own for a character, it gets a one-time upgrade to a plus version, with 10 higher base damage. Some also give slightly higher recovery speed, and Megaton, Megawatt, Whammer and Guardian give +5 to throw damage. and

Distance

All Arms in ARMS have an identical maximum range; the range they extend to if you whiff. You may have encountered the situation where you and your target are seemingly just inches outside of one another's effective range, with arms stopping in front of your face. This maximum distance also represents the maximum amount of rush meter you can gain with a single punch, because meter is gained gradually while a punch is traveling.

A Note on Speed

Calculating the effective speed of Arms is more difficult than expected.

Different classes of Arms have wildly different times-to-reach-max-range, a metric that is confounded ever further by Arms hitbox size per character,

r4kVtHG.png
|
2BD9bu5.png
|
e6lon0L.png
Gloves
CEll6l6.png
|
CEll6l6.png

Gloves can be thought of as the most basic type, sure. But they are also some of the most versatile and potent in the game. In many basic situations, a glove type Arm is basically your safest bet across the board, and

Toaster
Sparky
Buff
Chilla
Bubb

Phoenix
Thunderbird
Boomerang
Coolerang
Chakram
Ramram
Dragon
Ice Dragon
Megaton
Megawatt
Homie
Seekie
Tribolt
Triblast
Retorcher
Revolver
Hydra
Popper
Cracker
Parasol
Guardian
Whammer
Blorb
Slapamander
Slamamander

soultron

Banned
Great tips Hawkian. Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but button/traditional controls can also flick the Right Stick towards targets to switch targets. Good for 1v1v1s if you go for a risky throw!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Great tips Hawkian. Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but button/traditional controls can also flick the Right Stick towards targets to switch targets. Good for 1v1v1s if you go for a risky throw!
Thanks! Moondrop hit me with that one so I added it in.

I wonder if there's a good place to mention that Guard cancel technique...

I can't believe how much improvement I've experienced since Saturday night. I can pretty much completely body Max Brass and Hedlok on 4 with my preferred Arms now whereas the first time it was pure struggle moment to moment

MDave

Chilla doesn't give you guaranteed followup. Sparky means I get a free throw for at least 150 more damage.

Yep, but after you throw that resets the flow of the fight, where as with the Chilla it stacks the freeze time on the enemy the more you hit them with charged Chillas, putting more pressure and keeps the flow in your favor. 150 (+100 from the initial punch) guaranteed damage sounds good, but consider this: You land the Freeze effect, and instead of grabbing you throw your Megaton. This does 110 damage, and the opponent is still frozen; so you throw your chilla again, re freezing them, dealing another 90 damage, and setting them up for a second Megaton. You have done 310 damage so far after landing your initial freeze, AND you still have momentum in your favor since the opponent is still locked down from Chilla.

Sure you have to work a bit more to land those extra hits on a stationary target, but the pay off is better IMO.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
party mode is straight brilliant, I hope it is included in future live support and expanded. It could have a great life of its own and keep the game popular with a wide audience.

Biske

Nope wireless, it was working good since Friday but now I can't even get back online to play with y'all :/

Get a LAN adapter, makes a world of difference. The Switch wifi is pure garbage. On my wifi I can't go 30 seconds without a disconnect, but LAN adapter is rock solid

Blunoise

Get a LAN adapter, makes a world of difference. The Switch wifi is pure garbage. On my wifi I can't go 30 seconds without a disconnect, but LAN adapter is rock solid

Yea I might pick one up this weekend.
I actually bought a new router for ARMS lol. My old one was literally not able to handle the internet I pay for. Night and day. Do you have bad service or just a bad router?

No bad router.yea this needs to be switched since I will be play splatoon as well, my PS4 is fine tho

Biske

Damn, the seekie in skillshot is busted, busted as hell. Don't even have to try, just mindlessly throw punches and you get insane combos.

Found a pretty reliable way to grind coins for the Arm Getter (on the ARMS subreddit)

- Enter 1P Versus and set up a game of V-Ball. Set the CPU to 6 or 7 (gives 3 coins per win).
- Set your player to Ribbon Girl with double Poppers/Crackers and your opponent to Helix (change his arms to Guardians in all 3 slots).
- Once the match starts, begin a double jump when you hear the tone before the ball drops in. Do a grab, and then immediately slam it into the other side of the court. The Poppers are so fast you can do it all before Helix has a chance to react.
- If Helix does get the ball, he'll kinda fumble around with it because of the shield arms.

Speely

Banned
Found a pretty reliable way to grind coins for the Arm Getter (on the ARMS subreddit)

- Enter 1P Versus and set up a game of V-Ball. Set the CPU to 6 or 7 (gives 3 coins per win).
- Set your player to Ribbon Girl with double Poppers/Crackers and your opponent to Helix (change his arms to Guardians in all 3 slots).
- Once the match starts, begin a double jump when you hear the tone before the ball drops in. Do a grab, and then immediately slam it into the other side of the court. The Poppers are so fast you can do it all before Helix has a chance to react.
- If Helix does get the ball, he'll kinda fumble around with it because of the shield arms.

That is so cheap smh.

Totally gonna do it, thanks!.

Takat

I just got to level 4 in party mode, it was great while it lasted. Now I need to do the GP5+.

I never play online, but the lobby is so fun, and the small gestures you can do really brighten up the place.

molnizzle

Is this faster than the training mode grind? That one was 2 coins every 20 seconds or so.

Moondrop

Banned
refer to question #13 lol
There's an unexplained combo system in skillshot. Every consecutive hit with a single punch is +10 more (including tagging your opponent). So if you hit 3 targets with one punch, that's 10+20+30=60. Therefore you often need to have the right angle, or wait for the angles to develop.

Zia

Is there a character and part tier list yet? I'm using Byte and Barq and I basically can't beat Ninjara on rank 4.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
There's an unexplained combo system in skillshot. Every consecutive hit with a single punch is +10 (including tagging your opponent). So if you hit 3 targets with one punch, that's 10+20+30=60. Therefore you often need to have the right angle, or wait for the angles to develop.

that just makes it suck in a more algorithmic way
Is there a character and part tier list yet? I'm using Byte and Barq and I basically can't beat Ninjara on rank 4.
There isn't anything concrete. I'm not great at anti-ninjara yet since I've done the most GPs with him and didn't usually have to fight him :eek:

edit: ...that said immediatly after posting this I got him in GP4 with Kid Cobra and completely clocked him just playing keepaway with slamamanders.

Biske

There's an unexplained combo system in skillshot. Every consecutive hit with a single punch is +10 more (including tagging your opponent). So if you hit 3 targets with one punch, that's 10+20+30=60. Therefore you often need to have the right angle, or wait for the angles to develop.

Or just use double seekie. Aim for targets, it goes, then hits the opponent and you watch your self win.

Moondrop

Banned
that just makes it suck in a more algorithmic way
Actually it adds layers of strategy- you have to juggle picking the right combo with keeping one eye on your opponent. Skillshot, volleyball, and basketball all have mindgame potential.

Or just use double seekie. Aim for targets, it goes, then hits the opponent and you watch your self win.
People should still know the combo system if they want to beat human opponents. Though I think seekie/homie might be the best heavy arms in the game. They ruin the AI. Really want to test on Min Min.

Actually it adds layers of strategy- you have to juggle picking the right combo with keeping one eye on your opponent. Skillshot, volleyball, and basketball all have mindgame potential.

People should still know the combo system if they want to beat human opponents. Though I think seekie/homie might be the best heavy arms in the game. They ruin the AI. Really want to test on Min Min.

Aren't they medium?

Top Bottom