• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

I normally play with Min Min but my friend was complaining that I was using an "OP character", (he was using Twintelle which is just lol) so after winning a few matches I switched out for Ninjara. I figured I'd do just as well with him because I beat GP with him after getting a handle on the game.. But I got crushed lol

Is it just me or does he have like a Bone Claw Wolverine MvC2 tier healthbar or something? It felt like I only got hit a few times before my health was totally gone lol

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Don't worry - that's how most of my matches look.

I can tell that I need to practice jump - dash to the side - throw/punch. You seem to be doing that a lot and I think I rely on ground dashes too much.
Oh god please don't take any lessons from snake park, this is like a minigame XD

Ah here we are! I'm going to try double dragons and then megawatt / ramram, that'scan't remember which I did
edit: uhhhh she killed herself. that worked okay bu ehhh

edit: awwww.

MDave

After a throw I have plenty of time to dash toward the opponent and setup for wakeup pressure.

Also, if a Chilla hits, that guarantees nothing. You don't get a free throw or attack. That Megaton you're tacking on can be blocked with ease, just like everything that follows.

Chilla guarantees the opponent can't move for a much longer period of time then Sparky's, and if you land hits on a frozen player they won't fall over from knockdown so you can keep laying into them if they don't block. From my playing, not a lot of players know you can block while frozen. If they do block, which a good player will do then you get the throw, plus +10 damage compared to Sparkys. The point though is there is far more potential to rack up a lot of damage and keep the player under a lot more pressure then wake up does. Do you see the risk/reward part of its design? This has worked really well for me, at least. Most of the time the frozen player tries to attack as I get closer to them, but since I can dodge around them and they can't move or turn around they are wide open for more punishment.

mstevens

Wow, doesn't get much closer than that.

What determines when the dragons shoot. Is that player controlled, or just when it has a clear shot?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Wow, doesn't get much closer than that.

What determines when the dragon's shoot. Is that player controlled, or just when it has a clear shot?
Neither one- it's just a timer. The dragons extend a certain amount, have a delay, then fire.

This is a tough matchup I think! But I got her.

Edit: Hope that switch for round 3 made sense. I just wasn't punishing her enough with the slow Megawatt to make it worthwhile. Going for speed was the right call even if I was able to pull it off the other way over time.

Moondrop

Banned
What do you use as your right arm?
Best I have to test right now are a second cracker, the parasol, and sparky. But don't take my ramblings too seriously; I'm just ok.

I know they have reason to be in the air, it's just that they don't always have to be. The fact that they have the option to do air shenanigans whenever they need to is what makes them formidable imo
Yeah I totally agree with all that. I need to play more fundamentally, but I have scrubby tendencies. Like with Twintelle I feel I have the advantage in the air- unless my foe has a super. And if I'm not mixing it up hopping off Barq, Byte feels like a big metal target.

mstevens

Neither one- it's just a timer. The dragons extend a certain amount, have a delay, then fire.

This is a tough matchup I think! But I got her.

Edit: Hope that switch for round 3 made sense. I just wasn't punishing her enough with the slow Megawatt to make it worthwhile. Going for speed was the right call even if I was able to pull it off the other way over time.

Yeah - I will definitely try double ramram for speed - plus I may actually be able to hit her with it as she dodges. Thanks!

LotusHD

Banned
Yeah, like any other fighting game.

If not then I really hope they add it with a record/playback option in a later update because it'd be REALLY convenient to test stuff without a 2nd player.

As the other poster said, you can do this in a roundabout way by doing a 1v1 fight against the CPU, and making it so that they can't move, and you have infinite health.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah - I will definitely try double ramram for speed - plus I may actually be able to hit her with it as she dodges. Thanks!

that's a tough matchup. As you can see, double dragon ordinarily is nasty and many CPU enemies can't handle their shit.

edit: The Dragon Rush eludes me though.

these two matches after ribbon girl have been night and day easier. And! I forgot to mention. Double dragon works awesome on Ninjara (he was my first match this GP)

Keep your distance, and he doesn't try to block the beam.

Randdalf

Do Switch games have digital manuals? If so, does ARMS' document the mechanics (+ character abilities)? There's still a lot of things I'm not sure of.

Is anyone capable of recording matches against me as evidence?

Go to twitch.tv/leveluplive and go to archived streams and at the very end if you missed out on my fights with Valle. It's a good look on me playing from an opponent's perspective. I'm trying to compile as much proof as I can since I was given the advice to make a Reddit post about Helix's goodness that everyone is sleeping on

Meanwhile random25 I've had some Min Min practice, I've been getting better, I ain't going to let anyone beat me consistently ;)

Is anyone capable of recording matches against me as evidence?

Go to twitch.tv/leveluplive and go to archived streams and at the very end if you missed out on my fights with Valle. It's a good look on me playing from an opponent's perspective. I'm trying to compile as much proof as I can since I was given the advice to make a Reddit post about Helix's goodness that everyone is sleeping on

Can you dominate with any other character like you do with helix? And what are you trying to prove? And to who? Are people saying Helix is a junk character?

pprkut

Neo Member
The yellow joycons feel amazing compared to my launch neon ones, they don't creak and the rumble also feels meatier.

Neoxon

Any talk as to how TO's plan to run ARMS tournaments?

BYO Switch? No arms customisation? Must use default character Arms?
I feel like either BYO Switch or default ARMS only may be how things go for the game competitively. I'd imagine that most majors would just buy docks & LAN set-ups if the former scenario happens.

mojo2

Neo Member
So I did it.

I said when I defeat Gore, I will take a Screenshot and frame it.

img_3620hgsg3.jpg

When ever I will feel sad, I just look at this picture and be happy again.
When ever there is a task that seems impossible to do, I look at that picture and know nothing is impossible.

Do I hate helix with double poppers?? Yes I do.

Am I to proud defeating Gore with double poppers only once? Maybe

So who ever is facing Gore, just remember: It is not impossible to defeat him!!!!

Here is also a link to the original screenshot:
https://abload.de/img/dcrjfljvwaauzvk.jpg-5qsxs.jpeg
This is the best post I've seen in years, loving it so much. I might copy that stunt with my friendly rivalries, I hope so at least.

Damn blackout. Sorry to leave early guys. GGs all I fought! You're all pretty good.

Jesus dude, hate to say it but you might actually be better than me, Min Min's are the only things I struggle with (in ranked) because of the damn dragon arm. One day I'll just need to have a locked 1v1 room and practice until I got you down

What goes through your head? What do I do wrong? Is it all predictions? The hitbox is insane

random25

Jesus dude, hate to say it but you might actually be better than me, Min Min's are the only things I struggle with (in ranked) because of the damn dragon arm. One day I'll just need to have a locked 1v1 room and practice until I got you down

You did beat me man lol. On small stages you corner me too easily because you move so fast.

I think you're doing pretty well. Charged ramram simply beats any poppers so your attacks aren't as effective.

Like I said above, I think you're doing pretty well. Charged ramram simply beats any poppers so your attacks aren't as effective. Maybe a change of arms against me would do the trick.

I tried that with the Fire glove and it cancels the ram ram out but it was still a loss in the end

random25

I tried that with the Fire glove and it cancels the ram ram out but it was still a loss in the end

I felt you're not used to the fire gloves as compared to the poppers that's why I did beat it. Your movement with the gloves is much slower as compared to the poppers where you just move aggressively and attack.

I felt you're not used to the fire gloves as compared to the poppers that's why I did beat it. Your movement with the gloves is much slower as compared to the poppers where you just move aggressively and attack.

Fair enough, I know I can move the same with the poppers as I can with the glove, just from a farther distance to compensate for the longer time it takes to reset, but then I lose my ability to be close to you

Rezbit

Wew finally finished Grand Prix rank 4. Was reasonably difficult, took me about 10 tries probably. I found that Ribbon Girl + 2 poppers is pretty decent for the computer as you can just sorta dodge all their attacks and do really quick jabs.

Now to take this bad boy online. Might stick with casual first though so I can try out some new characters and arms.

Also I was initially keen on the motion controls but had to switch to the pro controller - I still think it's a very good utilization of motion, but the game is actually really hardcore and requires pretty precise movement.

DjRalford

Is there a penalty for the people who quit in ranked just as they're about to lose?

3 of the 7 people I played matches against this morning disconnected with a slither of health left when I was about to win the second round, I didn't even get any points it just said communication error and took me back to the main screen.

suprised I won so many games as I'm pretty terrible.

man, the way to gains news arms is really shitty, you really need to wait at least to have 100 $! With the 30 $ one, i only got two of them, while i got 10 with the 100 $ one!

any characters better than other to play this?

Also is it me or kid cobra has way biggers arms than other characters? The normal gloves seems huge with him

Nico_D

Finished GP4 an hour ago. Breezed it through except for Twintelle and Hedlok which both took 3-4 tries. I didn't persobally experience that big of a difficulty spike.

JJShadow

man, the way to gains news arms is really shitty, you really need to wait at least to have 100 $! With the 30 $ one, i only got two of them, while i got 10 with the 100 $ one!

any characters better than other to play this?

Also is it me or kid cobra has way biggers arms than other characters? The normal gloves seems huge with him

The one where you spend 100 coins is not really worthy neither, I'd say save your coins till you have 200 and do the long version. You can easily get 20+ arms there

deoee

Yesterday I felt like the best way to play against Gore tower is to jump around, dash and just spam poppers like a madman.

I nearly got him twice.

Top Bottom