• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

Crazyorloco

With how they're giving closer look to the clothes the characters wear and the brands, I can't help but to feel we'll get some sort of outfits in future.. I wish.

That would be pretty cool. I feel like Nintendo is going to add a lot to this game post launch.

Brannon

Yesterday I decided to just go ahead and try my luck and tackle Level 7 the moment my game finished downloading with the robo-duo. Because why not throw myself into the deep end?

This was generally looked upon as a bad idea in hindsight, as I got ground into the dirt forever. After an hour of that and passing 1 and a half opponents, I though, hey, my non-practiced self should probably hit the GAF lobby and see what's up. Surely I can-

NO.

Now I'm not saying I was bad or anything, but when your losses start to equal your pity points, that's when you call it a night and sleep on the fact that maybe you should learn your character, the arms, the basic movement, the strategy, the damn game. Also I was bad and was feeding everybody else like a MOBA chump. Ew.

Well apparently that crucible actually did teach me something, like a Generation 50 Magikarp eating a berry at Level 1, because tonight I stuck myself in Level 7 Grand Prix and rampaged my way to victory. Everything used against me I used against the AI, and it actually became somewhat of a fair fight. Mostly because it clicked what everybody was doing; using other arms, using each character's special ability (didn't think they were that game-changing before but I can actually make the dog save my life), Always Be Punching (why did I not realize what that Helix was doing until after I woke up this morning? ALL OF THE POWER), guard/parry/punish (it takes an arm out of the fight longer!), high ground/low ground mixups (Lv.7 Hedlok kinda melts under that pressure)...

Felt good. Maaaybe I can stand on my own in a party lobby this time. But not tonight, arms got sore. And I need more arm variety; the default can't cover what I need from B&B.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yesterday I decided to just go ahead and try my luck and tackle Level 7 the moment my game finished downloading with the robo-duo. Because why not throw myself into the deep end?

This was generally looked upon as a bad idea in hindsight, as I got ground into the dirt forever. After an hour of that and passing 1 and a half opponents, I though, hey, my non-practiced self should probably hit the GAF lobby and see what's up. Surely I can-

NO.

Now I'm not saying I was bad or anything, but when your losses start to equal your pity points, that's when you call it a night and sleep on the fact that maybe you should learn your character, the arms, the basic movement, the strategy, the damn game. Also I was bad and was feeding everybody else like a MOBA chump. Ew.

Well apparently that crucible actually did teach me something, like a Generation 50 Magikarp eating a berry at Level 1, because tonight I stuck myself in Level 7 Grand Prix and rampaged my way to victory. Everything used against me I used against the AI, and it actually became somewhat of a fair fight. Mostly because it clicked what everybody was doing; using other arms, using each character's special ability (didn't think they were that game-changing before but I can actually make the dog save my life), Always Be Punching (why did I not realize what that Helix was doing until after I woke up this morning? ALL OF THE POWER), guard/parry/punish (it takes an arm out of the fight longer!), high ground/low ground mixups (Lv.7 Hedlok kinda melts under that pressure)...

Felt good. Maaaybe I can stand on my own in a party lobby this time. But not tonight, arms got sore. And I need more arm variety; the default can't cover what I need from B&B.
200.gif

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
oh ffs. I am officially humming the menu theme everywhere. It is an unconscious act. It was pointed out to me by a stranger at target. Have I learned nothing from Mvc2

I really need to unlock ranked mode. Half of the modes in party matching absolutely blow.

I'm not even humoring the headlock fights anymore - hard quit.

1upsuper

I've found that if I play for like 3+ hours I reach this weird saturation point where I basically forget how to play. I don't really get that with other fighting games.

Finally starting to win games
because players are going AFK.

Also if I knew this game was only 2GB, I would have just downloaded it on Friday instead of waiting on Amazon. :\

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I've found that if I play for like 3+ hours I reach this weird saturation point where I basically forget how to play. I don't really get that with other fighting games.
yeah I know what you mean.. every once in a while I just completely forget what the hell I'm doing and the motion controls. I get wrecked and then come back to earth. It's weird stuff.

mstevens

Still trying to slowly get past these fighting game growing pains for the first time ever. I've never actually pushed through them, but I really love the style, feel and look of this game, so I'm trying my damnedest.

I've been kinda following the Hawkian outlined starter guide and I'm in the process of going through Grand Prix level 3 right now. I'm doing okay - on fight 8 or so, with only a couple losses. I've identified a big weakness in my game though. I'm really bad at fighting aggressive characters who jump and move constantly (ribbon girl, ninjara). Ribbon girl in particular is just jumping away with perfect timing from every punch I throw at her.

I tried doing a versus match where the CPU is evasive, and I can barely hit the damn thing. I'm playing with standard controls so I know that I'm gimped a tiny bit there, but I know it's possible with that set up.

What's a good arms set up for those types of fights? I'm currently rocking Dragon, Chiller, and Ramram.

Any tips? There are surely much more holes in my skills (effectively blocking in the heat of the battle still eludes me, I have a tendency to try to dodge instead) but I figured this might be a good starting point.

melos

Felt a lot better with my performances tonight in the GAF lobby (Major). Doing he training and putting up with the consistent beatings the last few days is starting to pay off.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Still trying to slowly get past these fighting game growing pains for the first time ever.

I've been kinda following the Hawkian outlined starter guide and I'm in the process of going through Grand Prix level 3 right now. I'm doing okay - on fight 8 or so, with only a couple losses. I've identified a big weakness in my game though. I'm really bad at fighting aggressive characters who jump and move constantly (ribbon girl, ninjara). I tried doing a versus match where the CPU is evasive, and I can barely hit the damn thing. I'm playing with standard controls so I know that I'm gimped a tiny bit there, but I know it's possible.

What's a good arms set up for those types of fights? I'm currently rocking Dragon, Chiller, and Ramram.

Any tips? There are surely much more holes in my skills (effectively in the heat of the battle still eludes me, I have a tendency to try to dodge instead) but I figured this might be a good starting point.
thanks for the shoutout. :D I wouldn't say you're gimped on standard controls. Most high level players seem to be using them`.

You are rocking Minmin right? Between Double dragons and double ramrams I had everything I needed for her GP4. With regard to evasive characters, you need to really take advantage of the curve- on Ninjara I used double dragons.

Here's the thing, that left arm better be transformed 100% of the time for you. A permanently charged dragon is nutso. But make sure to chase the crap out of Ninjara with the laser. You can force him to keep his distance. I can't remember which combo I used against Ribbon Girl.

Moondrop

Banned
I'm questioning the long-term viability of the aerial characters given their vulnerability to rushes. Twintelle and Ribbon Girl have the movement to dodge sometimes, but I suspect will get caught regularly as everyone improves. Mechanica and Byte/Barq seem to get owned. So you're forced to tone down the air time as soon as the opponent builds a rush- or perhaps I'm spending too much time in the air even with the aerial characters.

LotusHD

Banned
I'm questioning the long-term viability of the aerial characters given their vulnerability to supers. Twintelle and Ribbon Girl have the movement to dodge sometimes, but I suspect will get caught regularly as everyone improves. Mechanica and Byte/Barq seem to get owned. So you're forced to tone down the air time as soon as the opponent builds a super- or perhaps I'm spending too much time in the air even with the aerial characters.

Well I mean, no one's forcing ya to be in the air all the time.

Speely

Banned
Ok I think I have been judging myself harshly vs GP AI. Got my new router installed and just played my first Ranked match. I perfected the first match vs a Min Min and they rage quit.

Moondrop

Banned
Well I mean, no one's forcing ya to be in the air all the time.
Twintelle, Mechanica, and Byte all have charged punches with movement options in the air. But perhaps that's a scrub style. Ribbon Girl goes to the air to bait I imagine; need to play her more.

ggx2ac

I will mention this, I didn't expect Ice Dragon and Homie to work so well against Human players (not Gore or other Helix characters) when I was expecting it to be only good against Max Brass and Hedlok in Grand Prix.

mstevens

thanks for the shoutout. :D I wouldn't say you're gimped on standard controls. Most high level players seem to be using them`.

You are rocking Minmin right? Between Double dragons and double ramrams I had everything I needed for her GP4. With regard to evasive characters, you need to really take advantage of the curve- on Ninjara I used double dragons.

Here's the thing, that left arm better be transformed 100% of the time for you. A permanently charged dragon is nutso. But make sure to chase the crap out of Ninjara with the laser. You can force him to keep his distance. I can't remember which combo I used against Ribbon Girl.

You know how in RPGs you have a certain amount of allocated points to spend? Well apparently my DNA took literally all my fighting game points and allocated them in other genres. These fights are harder than Souls/Bloodborne bosses for me.

So I'm finally trying to break through that wall and really get at least decent at a fighting game for once, since I love the look and feel of this game. My strategy is to just take one skill at a time and build it. First it was practicing charging my arms on every dodge so I could commit that to muscle memory (I'll pay more specific attention to making sure the dragon arm is always up). I'm also planning on playing the ninjara grab spam training game several times so I can improve my skill there as well, as almost always get grabbed in matches.

For aiming I figured fighting against the evasive CPU would help train that, but I'll be damned if I couldn't land a single punch. It was ribbon girl in both the training and Grand Prix match, so I think it's the jumping that's throwing me off. Can't seem to hit her in air, and it's like she predicts my punches are coming when I try to hit her as she lands. I'll try using dual ramrams.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Twintelle, Mechanica, and Byte all have charged punches with movement options in the air. But perhaps that's a scrub style. Ribbon Girl goes to the air to bait I imagine; need to play her more.
Thing is, Twintelle seems so much less threatening the more I play against her. She seems more threatening on the ground with just the threat of her having the air dodge thing keeping you on your toes. With Ribbon Girl if she's jumping so much it's predictable when she's going to land, she can be punished. She's still really tough though.

But I haven't played any high level players with them yet anyway personally.
You know how in RPGs you have a certain amount of allocated points to spend? Well apparently my DNA took literally all my fighting game points and allocated them in other genres. These fights are harder than Souls/Bloodborne bosses for me.

So I'm finally trying to break through that wall and really get at least decent at a fighting game for once, since I love the look and feel of this game. My strategy is to just take one skill at a time and build it. First it was practicing charging my arms on every dodge so I could commit that to muscle memory (as you said with the left arm transformation). I'm also planning on playing the ninjara grab spam training game several times so I can improve my skill there as well, as almost always get grabbed in matches.

For aiming I figured fighting against the evasive CPU would help train that, but I'll be damned if I couldn't land a single punch. It was ribbon girl in both the training and Grand Prix match, so I think it's the jumping that's throwing me off. Can't seem to hit her in air, and it's like she predicts my punches are coming when I try to hit her as she lands. I'll try using dual ramrams.
Gonna go through and see what I did to Ribbon Girl on Min Min on GP4. If you keep your distance, which you always should be with Min Min I think, the throws should definitely become punishable in a second-nature way. Just off the top of my head though I'm thinking I may have used Megawatt on one arm for that fight. Will report back!

But- don't hesitate also to go back down to 2. Don't just be able to beat it okay, make sure you can completely embarrass most enemies on 2 before you move on.

Moondrop

Banned
But I haven't played any high level players with them yet anyway personally.
Me neither; I'm trying to settle on a main before ranked. Initiating with Twintelle's air dodges has been working a bit too well for me in party mode, but I know it won't last. Hence my troubles picking a main.

If you keep your distance, which you always should be with Min Min I think
If you're using her standard arms, sure. But I'm terrible with the laser so I've been testing other Min Min builds. The most fun left arm I've found yet is the Cracker- fast, powerful (130 without the +), and a generous hitbox. Pairing it with a mobile, mid-range style.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
arms can change style compleeeeetely yeah. I've only tried default arms so far for each char except Ninjara but with Kid Cobra (my second fave so far) he was decent zoning with Slamamanders and best-in-class rushing pressure with the coolerangs. so nice.

not the most exciting stream I'm sure and this is only my second ever GP at any level with Min but I'm going through to see what the deal is with Ribbon Girl. mstevens especially if you're around https://www.twitch.tv/thehawkian

mstevens

Me neither; I'm trying to settle on a main before ranked. Initiating with Twintelle's air dodges has been working a bit too well for me in party mode, but I know it won't last. Hence my troubles picking a main.

If you're using her standard arms, sure. But I'm terrible with the laser so I've been testing other Min Min builds. The most fun left arm I've found yet is the Cracker- fast, powerful (130 without the +), and a generous hitbox. Pairing it with a mobile, mid-range style.

What do you use as your right arm?

arms can change style compleeeeetely yeah. I've only tried default arms so far for each char except Ninjara but with Kid Cobra (my second fave so far) he was decent zoning with Slamamanders and best-in-class rushing pressure with the coolerangs. so nice.

not the most exciting stream I'm sure and this is only my second ever GP at any level with Min but I'm going through to see what the deal is with Ribbon Girl. mstevens especially if you're around https://www.twitch.tv/thehawkian

Sure - was about to hit the sack, but I'll watch for a bit.

LotusHD

Banned

I know they have reason to be in the air, it's just that they don't always have to be. The fact that they have the option to do air shenanigans whenever they need to is what makes them formidable imo

You need to try Helix my man, that's the true best in class rushing pressure

Top Bottom