• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS U.S. commercial: We've downgraded from rooftop parties to garage parties

People have to be interested in the game to participate in the demo.
If something is free and new people are going to play it, especially as it's a new IP.

I'm not claiming it's going to flop or anything, but a screenshot of hardcore Switch fans playing a demo with specific time slots doesn't really say that much.

People have to be interested in the game to participate in the demo.
I'm not against this game doing well and I'm a huge fan of nintendo and want to buy a switch, but i still don't agree showing a list of people playing the free demo as proof it will be a big game. It's not like the switch has a lot of games right now people have most likely beaten zelda and of course everyone who has a switch is going to get on and try arms. It doesn't prove much yet.

casiopao

I don't see any way how it's not gonna sell better than many other current fighting IPs. That's not a hard feat to accomplish these days though lol.

Beating SFV for me is going to be quite easy for ARMS there.

If something is free and new people are going to play it, especially as it's a new IP.

I'm not claiming it's going to flop or anything, but a screenshot of hardcore Switch fans playing a demo with specific time slots doesn't really say that much.

The demo is only going on specific time though. So unless u really wanted to try the game there, u can easily miss the demo there. So at leat, it shows that there is interest by Switch owners there to play the game.

Neiteio

I'm not against this game doing well and I'm a huge fan of nintendo and want to buy a switch, but i still don't agree showing a list of people playing the free demo as proof it will be a big game. It's not like the switch has a lot of games right now people have most likely beaten zelda and of course everyone who has a switch is going to get on and try arms. It doesn't prove much yet.
Only thing it proves is that it looks interesting enough to try it.

I imagine the list will look similar once the game is out.

opricnik

Banned
Beating SFV for me is going to be quite easy for ARMS there.

That would be quite easy only if every switch owner fuckin buy the game.
though no hard goal considering people bought to play nintendo games on the machine they could easily buy their latest game regardless of genre

phanphare

Banned
So where do we draw the line in terms of flopping? 500k? 1m?

truth is none of us know what the break even point is but I would think under 1 million would be a flop

LTD you'd hope it'd get into the 4-5m range, assuming switch doesn't stop selling tomorrow.

that's tough because it's still in a genre that could have a hard ceiling despite the Switch's success. it could get there after a couple of years but I feel like 3 would be very good for all of 2017.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Think the ad is pretty lousy. I think it'll do okay sales wise but people saying to look at splatoon for it be a huge hit... kind of miss the fact there's a new splatoon game a month after this. Could see this having no legs in a month.

jett

D-Member
ld0dWyx.gif

Girls on the left doing their best Ravi Drums impression.

Neiteio

Think the ad is pretty lousy. I think it'll do okay sales wise but people saying to look at splatoon for it be a huge hit... kind of miss the fact there's a new splatoon game a month after this. Could see this having no legs in a month.
Nintendo has confirmed that ARMS will have free content updates adding new characters, new weapons and new stages.

If they play their cards right, they can alternate between free updates for ARMS and free updates for Splatoon 2, and keep people playing both.

Nintendo really is killing it this summer with online multiplayer, between Splatoon 2 and ARMS and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Deft Beck

Commercial seems perfectly suited to the casual audience that all TV ads are meant to target.

You can't show the nuances of combat or much else beyond the basic conceit of the game in 30 seconds.

Millions only bought Splatoon because there wasn't anything else to play.

One is a fighter while the other is a shooter.

I see no resemblance. Maybe if it were Smash I could see it eating ARMS legs.

True Fire

A shitty Street Fighter IV port sold 1 million+ on 3DS. Launch year games always sell ridiculous numbers because they have the longest shelf life.

Neiteio

Commercial seems perfectly suited to the casual audience that all TV ads are meant to target.

You can't show the nuances of combat or much else beyond the basic conceit of the game in 30 seconds.
I think there's a casual way to show the fine degree of control you have. Millions of casuals played Wii Boxing. They're expecting something rudimentary. To surprise them and get them interested, just show a person curving their arm to curve the punch, underscoring a key difference here. It's an instantly understandable concept that takes only two seconds of airtime to demonstrate.

Neoxon

A shitty Street Fighter IV port sold 1 million+ on 3DS. Launch year games always sell ridiculous numbers because they have the longest shelf life.
SSFIV:3D was actually a pretty damn good port considering that it was the 3DS. Then again, Capcom's fucking wizards when it comes to making 3DS games from a technical standpoint.

Took them long enough to get ads together.

I think this is about as good as a quick TV spot is going to get - establish it as a fun, multiplayer boxing game with colorful characters and enough ideas in the as to get people curious. Now they just need to get some physical adspace out to stores and they might yet be able to sell a few copies of this.

Seriously, though, it's startling to me how big the push for MK8D was in comparison to something like this. Mario Kart didn't need a big advertising push to sell, it's Mario Kart, but it had so much out a month before launch. This needs the push, and yet there's so little out yet...

LotusHD

Banned
They should've used the theme music. Just keep using it until everyone is either humming it or damn sick of it.

Took them long enough to get ads together.

I think this is about as good as a quick TV spot is going to get - establish it as a fun, multiplayer boxing game with colorful characters and enough ideas in the as to get people curious. Now they just need to get some physical adspace out to stores and they might yet be able to sell a few copies of this.

Seriously, though, it's startling to me how big the push for MK8D was in comparison to something like this. Mario Kart didn't need a big advertising push to sell, it's Mario Kart, but it had so much out a month before launch. This needs the push, and yet there's so little out yet...

There has been commercials of ARMS before this from earlier trailers.

Millions only bought Splatoon because there wasn't anything else to play.
Millions bought Splatoon because it was a highly appealing game with a large marketing push behind it that ensured that lots of people knew what it was and that anyone who could be interested in it would be.

ARMS has the appeal down, but is lacking the push. For crying out loud, it doesn't even have amiibo coming with it! I have no idea what Nintendo is doing.

There has been commercials of ARMS before this from earlier trailers.
That's good, at least. They still desperately need that brick and mortar space down, though.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Boring ad, considering the material. It lacks energy, which is a shame for a game like this.

Boke1879

ARMs isn't going to flop. I won't be there day 1, but I'll wait for a price drop.

It's a first party Nintendo game with a good aesthetic and looks to be somewhat fun.

AdanVC

It would have been better IMO to show more gameplay footage to show off the graphics and cool character designs and less waggle waggle gameplay footage because that reminded me of the Wii days and that is no good nowadays...

So where do we draw the line in terms of flopping? 500k? 1m?

Hard to say when literally no one in this thread knows how much the game cost to make and advertise.

I like the TV spot, but let's not pretend reviews, streams, word of mouth, the test punch and general awareness aren't factors that will determine how well it will sell.

I hope it does well.

Kindekuma

Banned
They really need to advertise that you can play without motion.

Just somebody standing there not moving their arms in an ad about a game where you use your arms is not really good advertising, dude. I am well aware of people with disabilities and whatnot, but the core gimmick of the game uses motion controls, and that's whats being advertised.

Neiteio

Millions bought Splatoon because it was a highly appealing game with a large marketing push behind it that ensured that lots of people knew what it was and that anyone who could be interested in it would be.

ARMS has the appeal down, but is lacking the push. For crying out loud, it doesn't even have amiibo coming with it! I have no idea what Nintendo is doing.

That's good, at least. They still desperately need that brick and mortar space down, though.
It has the Neon Yellow Joycons and Battery Extenders, 12 rounds of Global Testpunch, two Nintendo Directs, an E3 Open Invitational Tournament, its own dedicated press event (last time Nintendo did that for one game was Splatoon)...

It has the Neon Yellow Joycons and Battery Extenders, 12 rounds of Global Testpunch, two Nintendo Directs, an E3 Open Invitational Tournament, its own dedicated press event (last time Nintendo did that for one game was Splatoon)...
And that makes me want to play ARMS? Because?

Makonero

ARMs isn't going to flop. I won't be there day 1, but I'll wait for a price drop.

It's a first party Nintendo game with a good aesthetic and looks to be somewhat fun.
So you never have bought a Nintendo game before then? If it doesn't flop, there will be no price drop for five to six years.

All of which are great for people who play games and hang out on game sites and stuff, but for the general public? The random people who maybe picked up a Switch and are looking for fun experiences on it? The only one of those that might push them in the direction of ARMS are the Joycons, and even that is a terribly far stretch.

Splatoon had ads on demo kiosks and plenty of store marketing before launch, to say nothing of the toys that launched with it to get additional character recognition (amiibo) and potential television spots. Even more recently, Mario Kart had ad space in retail stores a month before launch, and closer to launch had the big Target campaign with the themed concrete balls and shopping carts. I hope more is coming for ARMS and that ARMS sells well, I'm just nervous is all.

Jubenhimer

It would have been better IMO to show more gameplay footage to show off the graphics and cool character designs and less waggle waggle gameplay footage because that reminded me of the Wii days and that is no good nowadays...

Why would you want to downplay the main appeal of the default control scheme? It's not really even waggle either.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
That would be quite easy only if every switch owner fuckin buy the game.
though no hard goal considering people bought to play nintendo games on the machine they could easily buy their latest game regardless of genre

There will be a lot more than 1.6 mil switches out there before June 16th, dude.

It could have a much lower attachment rate than Zelda and Mario kart and still beat the SFV sales during this year.

wanders

Loved it.

Was really selling the lifestyle/experience than the game - hanging with all your friends playing competitively

Top Bottom