• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS U.S. commercial: We've downgraded from rooftop parties to garage parties

Zedark

That would be quite easy only if every switch owner fuckin buy the game.
though no hard goal considering people bought to play nintendo games on the machine they could easily buy their latest game regardless of genre

I don't think Casiopao meant in its first week or anything, but rather lifetime. Street Fighter shipped around 1.5 million units + 275k on steam (according to steamspy) totalling to 1.8 million units, which isn't a lot, so I think that target should be easily achieved.

All of which are great for people who play games and hang out on game sites and stuff, but for the general public? The random people who maybe picked up a Switch and are looking for fun experiences on it? The only one of those that might push them in the direction of ARMS are the Joycons, and even that is a terribly far stretch.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they push out more 30 sec commercials.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The ad is weak and previous ones were funnily enough stronger as it explained the base concepts. This is just boxing!!!! Wooo!!! Sjort clips of each of the characters displaying personality with a bit of gameplay would sell tge game better.

Meh. For a character based game like this, you'd figure showing them off more instead of generic happy people playing video games. Ah well, this is only the first of them.

ld0dWyx.gif
Sunken place?

Meh. For a character based game like this, you'd figure showing them off more instead of generic happy people playing video games. Ah well, this is only the first of them.

Gotta cover bases. Just wait, we're gonna ask the hard hitting questions. Like if we're an ARMS or a... a... Larms.

Marketing Genius.

MTC100

Banned
Looks like they live inside the Pizza Hut logo

0BLYUn8.png

They seem to be playing inside a garage, I guess it's for highlighting that you can play everywhere even without a TV.

The ad is fine, would have loved if there was someone that took out his Pro Controller to play and another one playing in Handheld mode would've been great as well...

Taker666

Not great. The characters and style is what will sell this..not old wii boxing style ads.
They should have taken notes from what they did with Splatoon.

..and I'd have used the theme from ARMS over the shit music playing here.

J@hranimo

Banned
Nice ad, straight and to the point. I also like that the editing shows each joycon action regarding how to attack, block, etc and it showing on the screen what the characters are doing.

stilgar

I don't agree, sorry. It is a time limited demo with very specific slots which would encourage everyone to be on at once.

This is completely false. You've got to be there at a precise time, which is impossible in a lot of cases (mine for example). If anything , it shows there is enthusiam around trying the game.
Btw,it's a blast.

This is completely false. You've got to be there at a precise time, which is impossible in a lot of cases (mine for example). If anything , it shows there is enthusiam around trying the game.
Btw,it's a blast.
If it was false Nintendo wouldn't schedule them like that intentionally to get as many people on as possible

It would have been better IMO to show more gameplay footage to show off the graphics and cool character designs and less waggle waggle gameplay footage because that reminded me of the Wii days and that is no good nowadays...

I don't know if I agree. For a lot of younger people, the Wii would have been their first game console. They probably have fond memories of motion controls.

atr0cious

I really don't understand why motion controls get so much hate.
Don't listen to it, they're not who the commercial is targeting. The causal audience is more likely to play a motion based fighter than SFV. Especially a boxing game that allows people to play loosely how they want.

NimbusD

Agreed. As it stands if a casual person saw the commercial they would automatically assume the game was waggle-based. Should have shown off some of the nuances in controls to help it stand out.
You assume the casual person knows the difference. And another person said we needed to see dashes and specifics of the control inputs? Do you guys know what the point of a 30 second commercial is?

A casual person is going g to be more excited to have an easily portable party game than know if you can tech grabs or any of that shit.

Anyone whose more interested in the game is going to buy based off of reviews not a 30 second commercial.

AEREC

They seem to be playing inside a garage, I guess it's for highlighting that you can play everywhere even without a TV.

The ad is fine, would have loved if there was someone that took out his Pro Controller to play and another one playing in Handheld mode would've been great as well...

Haha...they should of added an overweight 30 something guy slouching on a couch with a pro controller to the group.

Yeah, Switch strength is really that it is such an adaptable system "you don't like motion controls...no prob!" "Portable gaming is better suited to your lifestyle...no prob!". Nintendo should really not forget that and not focus too much on one aspect. I played the game in portable mode and it was great, it seems the devs have put a lot of efforts on every config, which is great.

A wall of shame is better than people getting so defensive.

If someone has a right to come in and say, this game will sell gangbusters, then someone can come in and say it's going to flop. It really doesn't matter at the end of the day.

don't see the point in getting up in arms about it. Just start taking names if you'd rather.

Smart, and I agree.

It happens every god damn Nintendo thread. Instead of ignoring what is clearly a troll, or adding them to some sort of wall of shame, you immediately start getting a lot of people acting offended / butthurt / whatever.

Just ignore the troll, and move on with your lives. If ARMS sells well, then come back and feed him his crow.

MTC100

Banned
Yeah, Switch strength is really that it is such an adaptable system "you don't like motion controls...no prob!" "Portable gaming is better suited to your lifestyle...no prob!". Nintendo should really not forget that and not focus too much on one aspect. I played the game in portable mode and it was great, it seems the devs have put a lot of efforts on every config, which is great.

They sure did, played the third testpunch in Handheld mode and it worked quite well, it works even better with a real controller though. Motion Controls seem to work great too but I have yet to get the hang of it.

Doorman

Add me to the crowd that believes the should have shown at least a little bit of the non-motion control options, even saying this as someone who spent most of my time in the Testpunch using motion. The game is plenty playable and fun either way, and you can still appeal to the people who enjoy motion controls while also subtly making the point that people don't have to use them if they don't suit you. I'm fairly certain there are folks out there who might be interested in how the game looks, but have no interest in "waggle boxing, like what I played on the Wii ten years ago," and anybody not following developer interviews and such closely may not even realize that traditional controls are even an option.

Like has been said by others in here, one of the big cool things about the Switch is its inclusiveness in playing where and how you want to, and this ad doesn't fully reflect that. I'm assuming this won't be the only ARMS commercial to come around but I won't be surprised if none of the others have any mention of button controls either. It feels like Nintendo's been almost intentionally hiding that knowledge from the public eye.

entremet

ARMs isn't going to flop. I won't be there day 1, but I'll wait for a price drop.

It's a first party Nintendo game with a good aesthetic and looks to be somewhat fun.

Price drop on 1st party Nintendo software? Where have you been, breh lol.

Amazon PRIME pre-order or BBGCU are your best medium range bets.

cakely

I didn't know what ARMS was until this thread. It's ... Wii boxing?

I'm not a fan of waggle-based gaming. I am not the target market for this game.

Top Bottom