• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Around 50% of PlayStation First-Party Games Are Sold As Physical Copies

Don Carlo

From article cover:

Over the past few years, digital media has become more mainstream.

An analysis even revealed that over 83% of console games in 2023 were sold as digital copies. However, PlayStation is seemingly avoiding the trend as its physical sales still go toe-to-toe with its digital figures.

Why it matters:
Xbox has shown an intent to shift towards the digital format. Even their upcoming flagship title, Hellblade 2, will be a digital-only release.

According to data from Insomniac Games’ leak, a large percentage of PlayStation’s sales is still reliant on physical discs.

5O7Jw50.png

For instance, God of War Ragnarok sold 15 million units in total. Since the data is valid till mid-2023 and Santa Monica reported the 15 million figure in December, we can assume total sales were 2-3 million units behind by June 2023.
Call me old-school but I don't ever wish to give up physical games. Going digital-only just has me concerned about users not being able to really own their games, ever.

midnightAI

From article cover:

Call me old-school but I don't ever wish to give up physical games. Going digital-only just has me concerned about users not being able to really own their games, ever.
It's not about being old fashioned for me, physical games at launch are just cheaper (in the UK) if you shop around. Eg. I got Stellar Blade for £62 from Asda instead of the £70 rrp

Last edited:

Jaybe

I thought we already had a slide from the insomniac leak that showed the breakdown of physical vs digital for major titles more clearly than the PSN data dump.

midnightAI

I can refund physical games - at least from amazon. I cannot refund games downloaded digitally.
I don't think I've ever got a refund off a game... Actually, that's wrong, I think I did when I was about 15, but that's because ZX Spectrum cassettes are a bit dodgy and sometimes you had to get a replacement if they had one, sometimes they didn't so either different game or money back.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The actual ratio is quite a bit higher than 50%
Fixed that for you 👍
The insomniac leaks show some games sold 70% physically in one region
On average it is 53% physical in the US alone, you throw in EU & Asia and that number goes up and the Digital goes down.
I'm sure someone can work out the true number of Digital sales by adding up all the regions physical numbers.

Woopah

Fixed that for you 👍
The insomniac leaks show some games sold 70% physically in one region
On average it is 53% physical in the US alone, you throw in EU & Asia and that number goes up and the Digital goes down.
I'm sure someone can work out the true number of Digital sales by adding up all the regions physical numbers.
Oops thanks for that! I read the title as 50% digital for some reason.

• Strength
Reactions: TGO

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I only buy Sony first party games on Disk. Trade them in after i've completed them. Then, if it's a game I really, really enjoyed Ill buy it on sale digitally.

Aenima

I only buy games day 1 in physical format. Games i really like and want to keep only in physical format. Games i dont care much about and only on deep promos i can get them in digital format. So once they get delisted, or other digital future shenanigans, i dont really care about they being gone.

buenoblue

I only buy Sony first party games on Disk. Trade them in after i've completed them. Then, if it's a game I really, really enjoyed Ill buy it on sale digitally.
This is what I do for most new games now. I bought rebirth then dragons dogma 2 for £62.99 day one delivery, played and finished them in a month then traded them in for £55 at cex 😂. Then I buy the game a couple years later digital for like £15 to play again ☺️

IAmRei

Mostly physical for ps, full physical for switch, full digital for pc. I like physical tho, i can flexing with the box to my friends :p

StereoVsn

Anything more than $20 I buy in physical. I will grab sometimes some games in cheap PSN or Switch sales just to have them easily accessible, but otherwise it’s all physical.

cormack12

Gold Member
I have embraced digital games that cost the same as a rental.

Does that make me a cheap cis or expensive tranny? This stuff is too confusing for me
A cheap tranny, your ass so loose pennies fall out.

Seriously I've found digital os only a drawback if you buy a lot of day 1 titles. There are lots of sales etc

danklord

Gold Member
I wonder if the retail numbers are based on actual sell through, or based on the order quantity from retailers with a large Playstation footprint in their store? With the lower demand of Xbox games globally it makes sense that international markets like Mediamart or Game UK are purchasing less physical copies because they sell slower in store, while PlayStation's continued run guarantees that retailers will keep physical copies in stock.

TGO

Interestingly David Jaffe has translated this news as Sony's first party are 70% digital.
I ask him how he came to this number and he posted Sony's revenue from 2021.
which is weird because it literally says 71% of revenue is Digital Purchases on PSN but first party titles are only 10%
It Literally says it right before the 71%
So how does someone not see that, especially a Game Director 🤔

Pelta88

But you'd think he would know

He's been out of the fold for decades. Jaffe seems lost in his own cycle of self importance. I can't quite place it, but I do recognise that his ramblings lack context which is why I stopped watching.

TGO

He's been out of the fold for decades. Jaffe seems lost in his own cycle of self importance. I can't quite place it, but I do recognise that his ramblings lack context which is why I stopped watching.
It's such a damn shame, I do like Jaffe
But like you I noticed he isn't the same as before...
I wonder how he got there 🤔

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
From article cover:

It's a concern for me as well.

If people want physical to remain then they need to buy physical games. Send a message to publishers that there is still a market for physical.

To further cement this message, avoid games that skip physical (Alan Wake 2, Planet Zoo etc).

Don't give up the fight, brother 💪

Am7AlHU.gif

TGO

Just out of personal curiosity: Do you collect Blu Rays or DVDs?
Blu-ray's & 4K Blu-ray's
Steelbooks mostly as I now have more Steelbooks than Amaray cases, I'm also a member of Hidefninja too so I collect things like this too which you can purchase from the site with group buys (someone orders on your behalf so you don't miss out because of scalpers)

This is boxset of 3 different versions that was available
I have the 3rd one in that set which is a double Lenticular(front and back) with the Steelbook inside with other stuff.
Which are limited to 1000 copies.

Last edited:

Hudo

Blu-ray's & 4K Blu-ray's
Steelbooks mostly as I now have more Steelbooks than Amaray cases, I'm also a member of Hidefninja too so I collect things like this too which you can purchase from the site with group buys (someone orders on your behalf so you don't miss out because of scalpers)

This is boxset of 3 different versions that was available
I have the 3rd one in that set which is a double Lenticular(front and back) with the Steelbook inside with other stuff.
Which are limited to 1000 copies.

That's actually dope! I genuinely did not know that Steelcases are apparently so frequently released now.

TGO

That's actually dope! I genuinely did not know that Steelcases are apparently so frequently released now.
A little too frequent with some releases.
The Dark Knight has too many steels and the newer ones aren't always better.
I tend to get the ones original poster artwork unless they come up with something good.
Hate pop art styles
And collect game ones too
I'm actually a bit annoyed by the lack of this gen with Sony titles, they started out okay but nothing now.
I've resorted to getting custom slipcase instead 😂
Like this one for Stellar Blade
DSC-0405-2.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom