• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Around 50% of PlayStation First-Party Games Are Sold As Physical Copies

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This is what I do for most new games now. I bought rebirth then dragons dogma 2 for £62.99 day one delivery, played and finished them in a month then traded them in for £55 at cex 😂. Then I buy the game a couple years later digital for like £15 to play again ☺️
my man lol GIF by Steve Harvey TV

Goalus

So even for their own games on their own platform, for the majority of sales they have to pay a cut to the retailer? I wonder if that's what Sony wants.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
This is surprising to me. Since 2017 I've bought exactly three games physical, and they were all Switch games. Meanwhile I have like 90 PS4/PS5 games digitally.

* oh wait, now that I think about it, I did buy one of the Persona games physically for the PS5, and I got a few LittleBigPlanet games in collector's edition as well as the most recent Dragon Quest.

Last edited:

sachos

This combined with the recent Nintendo fiscal report that 49.8% of game sales were physical should put an end to the "physical games are dead" narrative, it seems like a psyop... i have no proof but no doubts either.

Woopah

1st party doesn’t publish games. They make them. Publishing is different.
1st party games are those published by the platform holder.

Princess Peach Showtime, Another Code Recollection and Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door are all first party Nintendo games, even if Nintendo doesn't own the studios.

Likewise we can see first party games in the OP that are not developed by studios Sony owns, such Death Stranding, Bloodbourne and Detroit: Become Human.

Hudo

A little too frequent with some releases.
The Dark Knight has too many steels and the newer ones aren't always better.
I tend to get the ones original poster artwork unless they come up with something good.
Hate pop art styles
And collect game ones too
I'm actually a bit annoyed by the lack of this gen with Sony titles, they started out okay but nothing now.
I've resorted to getting custom slipcase instead 😂
Like this one for Stellar Blade
DSC-0405-2.jpg
Well, damn. I did not know that there was a market for custom slipcases.

And here I thought I was on the cutting edge of collectordom for buying the bigbox release of Command & Conquer Remastered Collection off of LGR (yeah, I know LGR are assholes. But that physical release was good, imho).

Reactions: TGO

Rockman33

1st party games are those published by the platform holder.

Princess Peach Showtime, Another Code Recollection and Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door are all first party Nintendo games, even if Nintendo doesn't own the studios.

Likewise we can see first party games in the OP that are not developed by studios Sony owns, such Death Stranding, Bloodbourne and Detroit: Become Human.
No, that is incorrect. 1st party is when you own the company and it makes games exclusively for that console. Not sure where you are getting your information from.

Woopah

No, that is incorrect. 1st party is when you own the company and it makes games exclusively for that console. Not sure where you are getting your information from.
I can post the slides when I get home, but in their latest presentation to investors Nintendo uses the term "first party" to refer to games like Super Mario RPG, Pokémon Scerlett, Smash Bros. Ultimate, Pikmin 4, Princess Peach Showtime, Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door, Endless Ocean Luminous etc.etc.

These games had development studios not owned by Nintendo.

PanzerCute

It's not about being old fashioned for me, physical games at launch are just cheaper (in the UK) if you shop around. Eg. I got Stellar Blade for £62 from Asda instead of the £70 rrp
Same in France. I never paid more than 55/60e to get a day one game... they are 75/80 on the online stores.

And you can easily sell them to 40/50 once you are done.

There is litteraly no good reason to buy a digital game, except when it is on deep sale or if it's not available retail.

Rockman33

I can post the slides when I get home, but in their latest presentation to investors Nintendo uses the term "first party" to refer to games like Super Mario RPG, Pokémon Scerlett, Smash Bros. Ultimate, Pikmin 4, Princess Peach Showtime, Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door, Endless Ocean Luminous etc.etc.

These games had development studios not owned by Nintendo.
We both could be right I suppose. I was just always under the impression you had to own the studio. 2nd party is when you pay for the entire project. Example, flight simulator or helldivers 2. Realistically though 1st or 2nd party is console exclusive. I’ve always thought of them as very similar. I was just initially responding to the 1st party, making a bad joke about how Sony has made so few this generation compared to the last 4.

Woopah

We both could be right I suppose. I was just always under the impression you had to own the studio. 2nd party is when you pay for the entire project. Example, flight simulator or helldivers 2. Realistically though 1st or 2nd party is console exclusive. I’ve always thought of them as very similar. I was just initially responding to the 1st party, making a bad joke about how Sony has made so few this generation compared to the last 4.
I've never thought studio ownership mattered to much. For example, I would say that the Smash Bros. games are first party, even if they have never been developed internally. Likewise I would say the original Spiderman is first party, even if Sony did not own Insomniac at the time.

Second party is a bit more of a nebulous term, and is kind of a sub-section of first party.

Regarding Sony specifically, it is true that games are taking longer to make. But I don't see the early PS5 years as being noticeably worse than early PS4 years.

Rockman33

I've never thought studio ownership mattered to much. For example, I would say that the Smash Bros. games are first party, even if they have never been developed internally. Likewise I would say the original Spiderman is first party, even if Sony did not own Insomniac at the time.

Second party is a bit more of a nebulous term, and is kind of a sub-section of first party.

Regarding Sony specifically, it is true that games are taking longer to make. But I don't see the early PS5 years as being noticeably worse than early PS4 years.
Difference with PS4 to PS5 is we had that killer showcasing what was to come in the second half. So far the only game that anyone seems to be excited about is Wolverine.

Woopah

Difference with PS4 to PS5 is we had that killer showcasing what was to come in the second half. So far the only game that anyone seems to be excited about is Wolverine.
There's definitely a GAAS element to that (the upcoming first party games include Concord, Fairgame$ and Marathon), but they've had 5 games out so far this year, and I think people can look forward to Death Stranding 2 and Lost Souls Aside.

Hopefully atvtheir next conference in Summer we get GoT2 and the new Naughty Dog game.

Top Bottom