• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ars Technica: Penello's XB1 Numbers, Ars "Sniff Test" Analysis

Ars Technica recently reported on Albert Penello's statements that, "The performance delta between the two platforms (XB1 and PS4) is not as great as the raw numbers lead the average consumer to believe," and his following NeoGAF postings in regard to some of these numbers.

Most of the article is a recap of what many of us read and experienced, but the relevant new information here is the "sniff test" analysis from Ars Technica's Peter Bright on Penello's statements:

Penello: "18 CUs [compute units] vs. 12 CUs =/= 50% more performance. Multi-core processors have inherent inefficiency with more CUs, so it's simply incorrect to say 50% more GPU."

Ars: "The entire point of GPU workloads is that they scale basically perfectly, so 50% more cores is in fact 50% faster."

Penello: "Adding to that, each of our CUs is running 6% faster. It's not simply a 6% clock speed increase overall."

Ars: "What the hell does that even mean?"

Penello: "We have more memory bandwidth. 176gb/sec is peak on paper for GDDR5. Our peak on paper is 272gb/sec. (68gb/sec DDR3 + 204gb/sec on ESRAM). ESRAM can do read/write cycles simultaneously so I see this number mis-quoted."

Ars: "Just adding up bandwidth numbers is idiotic and meaningless. While the Xbox One's ESRAM is a little faster, we don't know how it's used, and the PS4's GDDR5 is obviously a lot bigger."

Penello: "We have at least 10% more CPU. Not only a faster processor, but a better audio chip also offloading CPU cycles."

Ars: "Maybe true."

Penello: "We understand GPGPU [general processing on GPU] and its importance very well. Microsoft invented Direct Compute, and have been using GPGPU in a shipping product since 2010—it's called Kinect."

Ars: "Who cares about the API? It really doesn't make much difference."

Penello: "Speaking of GPGPU—we have 3X the coherent bandwidth for GPGPU at 30gb/sec which significantly improves our ability for the CPU to efficiently read data generated by the GPU."

Ars: "I don't know if that's even true."

Thought it would be good to hear an opinion from an outside voice. Take if for what you will.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/09/microsoft-exec-defends-xbox-one-from-accusations-its-underpowered/

Obviously, strike it down if I missed someone else posting the thread.

TheSoviet

Neo Member
I'm looking forward to hearing his updated answers to our questions from the "technical fellows".

He has got some 'splaining to do.

DBT85

The numbers don't matter for the first time in three generations, but listen to what we say anyway.

Glad to see a site pick up the comments. Not sure who else could do so with any reliability. DF COULD but it would depend who wrote it these days.

QaaQer

And remember, Peter Bright is as big an MS fanboy as a tech journo can be and still call himself a tech journo.

Crawl

What happened to specs don't matter & being in an enviable position? I find the fact that they are talking about it so much shows they are very insecure/unsure about their product.

Proelite

Would be ironic if Albert, (who I love), went to the distinguished engineer, and the engineer said the same thing as Ars Technica.

scsa

Makes a bit of sense. I guess we all have to reserve judgement till the games come out.

There is obviously a power gap otherwise PR wouldn't be in a hyper mode trying to one up the competitor based on power. Sony was talking on a similar level with the PS3 and how ahead they were. Hell, the company called the 360 an Xbox 1.5 . We all know how that turned out.

It seems the advantage that the PS4 seems to hold on paper , will shine through in the 2nd year as has been traditionally when it comes to these debates.

Begaria

I'll just wait for Kotaku to give us their opinion on this.

I bet those press sneak fucks managed to figure out what the secret sauce is through a leaked email discussing how great DirectX is.

I think I managed to hit every meme this entire discussion has brought up.

I just think its really dumb we have higher ups at Microsoft getting directly involved in something as petty as a console spec wars thread on a forum.

Its nice to have some MS people on GAF but come on guys. What are you doing getting involved with that kind of thing?

Hoo-doo

Banned
Glad to have you on board, Penello, you're doing great work silencing the doubters!

*laughs*

(please don't ban me, mods. I mean no harm!)

Proelite

When first next gen DF analysis is posted GAF will be down for several days :)

Only if the Xbox One version is nearly on par or even better.

I just think its really dumb we have higher ups at Microsoft getting directly involved in something as petty as a console spec wars thread on a forum.

Personally, I think it's cool to have execs show their fanboy sides.

It would be awesome if Cerny and Yoshida joined the fray.

ekim

I'm on mobile so I can't give a link but ERP on B3D (Mod and former first party Sony dev) said that you have have a performance decrease per CU the more you have. And the rest is basically "we don't know better".
Meh article

JaggedSac

Would be ironic if Albert, (who I love), went to the distinguished engineer, and the engineer said the same thing as Ars Technica.

Supposedly Albert ran that by the technical fellow before posting.

I'm on mobile so I can't give a link but ERP on B3D (Mod and former first party Sony dev) said that you have have a performance decrease per CU the more you have. And the rest is basically "we don't know better".
Meh article

Was this recently?

Chobel

Penello: "Adding to that, each of our CUs is running 6% faster. It's not simply a 6% clock speed increase overall."

Ars: "What the hell does that even mean?"

I'm waiting for Albert now, maybe he will explain what he meant by that.

Elios83

Basically what many of us already said to Albert the other day ;)
Now he's being called out by an important source.....they're doing themselves no favour going down this path of spinning the impossible.

cchum

hmmmm.....*thinks about inflammatory statement....sees Samuel L Jackson looking at me.....slowly backs away from thread.

good on Ars for at least questioning it

new theory: Albert got trolled by his coworker

Penello: "Ok dude, are you SURE this stuff is accurate? Those cats on GAF are pretty rough"

Fellow: "Dude, it's totally accurate, go for it" trollface.jpg

Top Bottom