• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Art GAF: Dominance War IV, lets do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Its that time of the year again! Last time I think it was only me and I didnt even finish, but dammit I'm gonna give it another shot :lol

For the ones who dont know wtf Im talking about, please follow this link for the lowdown.

For the ones who dont know wtf Im talking about and dont feel like clickin' on no links cause fuck that links are for people that like to be clickin' on them, heres a quick summary:

This is a cross forum art contest (2D or 3D) where you must first choose an art forum to represent, then choose and create a character class from one of three races: Norms, Machines and Demons!

Want more info but dont want to be clickin' on them links? Fine, fuck it:

text_en_story.gif

[click for original post on the Dominance War Homepage]
The two heroes in the third Great War for Dominance foresaw what would happen if Machines were allowed to continue their hostilities, but it was too late. 5 year’s after their sacrifice to end Machines’ disruptive means for war with unstable dimensional travel, the sinister threat they foretold, emerged!

...Reality collapsed.

Everywhere, dimensional tears opened to hellish realms and everywhere, nightmares emerged! In the first wave alone, Machines were struck down with such ferocity that for the first time in any war, Machines had to take a more conservative stance. Norms were clearly outnumbered on all fronts and had to withdraw to their great magically protected cities. It was a new era and everyone soon began to realize, including Machines, that it might very well be the beginning of the end in a new chapter of the Epic Dominance War Series: The Rise of Demons!

But there is still hope. The tears in reality are not normal. Something is keeping the dimensions destabilized. Both machines and norms have the mystical power or technology to correct the crisis, unfortunately, to find the source of the problem and to revert everything back to normal requires a luxury neither Norms nor Machines have... time. With death beating down on their walls, and darkness looming around every bend, the missions are as follows:

Norms:
Your mission, again, armed with a powerful magical weapon, is to protect the cities, lead an assault to other worlds and destroy the mysterious force that is keeping the dimensions destabilized.

Machines:
Your assigned tasks: Protect homeworld, destroy all resistance, terminate the dimensional rifts caused by a yet unknown source, and reclaim your rightful dominance over the entire planetary system.

New Race: Demons!

Your purpose: Destroy every man, woman, bot, alien or child. Leave nothing unscathed!

text_en_topic.gif

Topic:
Choose and create a character class from one of three races: Norms, Machines and an all-new class - Demons!

Time period:
Post-apocalyptic futuristic fantasy where magic exists.

Races and Character Classes: (choose only one. No combinations of any sort are allowed. Any forum is allowed to choose any race and class)

Dominance War IV Race: Norms
Norms are sentient beings of various races who have been in the galaxy for thousands of years. They all possess heartbeats and they all reside in a single natural dimension that is the Dominance War universe. Races classified as Norms include: Alien, mutant, elf, human, fish, pixy, giant, dwarf, tiger, dragon etc. Only norms are able to use magic. They can use it via an extremely powerful magical weapon or they can create and manipulate it themselves with invoker and clericon spell powers.

image_class_norm.jpg

- Art by Lee Gun Hee - Norm Classes:
Select one of the following classes (no combinations allowed):

Invoker
This character type harvests powerful magic to destroy and/or manipulate his surroundings or enemies.

Clericon
This character type uses magic to heal, strengthen, weaken, banish or bind foes or allies.

Stalker
This character type cannot manipulate magic like an invoker, but rather, has mastered the art of magic to aid his/her stealth, information gathering, and assassination skills.

Warlord
This character type is not proficient in manipulating magic; rather, he/she has mastered the art of hand-to-hand combat, weapon(s) fighting and high armored defense. Warlord's may use magical weapons and armor.

Powerful Magical Weapon:
Powerful magical weapons are needed to aid you in your battle against all opposing forces. Your character "MUST" have a single powerful magical weapon. Weapon examples include: sword, dagger, Necklace, amulet, chopsticks, funny item, coin, closed box, slippers, belt, helmet, armor, spoon, teeth, book, eyeballs, etc. You can only have a single extremely powerful magical weapon but you are also allowed to equip your hero with additional magical gear for protection.

Dominance War IV Race: Machines
The accidental explosion of a research planet, together with its advance weapons research caused Machines to develop sentience in the beginning of Dominance War II. Machines are not able to use magic of any kind, however, they possess sophisticated technologies that are capable of generating various spectacular effects. Their primary initiative is to extinguish all life and to accomplish this they have three unit types.

image_class_bot.jpg

- Art by Taehoon - Machine Classes:

War Machine
These machine types are ALWAYS larger then 20x20x20 feet minimum. They are the assault units that make up the machine army. They are pure machines with no natural living parts (flesh) and only War Machines can be 100% vehicle, a mix between vehicle and robot, or a full robot.

Cyborg
Cyborgs are comprised of living body parts fused together with mechanical additions. Each unique cyborg is controlled by its own central processing unit (cpu). Although these machines possess living tissue, they remain incapable of using magic.

Scout
Scouts are advanced intelligence gatherers for Machine kind. They are small and are either fully mechanical, or animal hybrids comprised of animal and machine. Scouts are extremely mobile, fast, and possess light weaponry and armor.

Dominance War IV Races: Demons

Demons are a new race in the Dominance War universe. Unleashed by Machine’s dimensional tampering, Demons are the shadows from untold nightmares made real. Pure evil in nature, they only care for chaos, feeding and destruction. Demons cannot manipulate or wield magic, but they do possess a single fusion of power with one of the following elements: Fire/lava or Ice/cold or Death/Darkness.

image_class_demon.jpg

- Art by Jongsoo Kim - Demon Classes:

Demon Lord
Demon Lords are larger than 20x20x20 feet and do not possess any human characteristics. Each demon lord is generally a ruler of some kind and/or belongs to a royalty class of demons. Seldom taking an interest in fighting with their own hands, when provoked into combat, they are an almost godly foe to deal with. Demon Lords can manipulate their inborn fusion of power (Fire/lava or Ice/cold or Death/Darkness) to a spectacular degree. As an example, it’s common for Fire Demon Lords to teleport from one fire to another fire, launch fireballs up to 100 feet away, create fire weapons from thin air, raise walls of fire, etc

Demon Prince
Demon Princes are human sized demons with human-like or alien-like characteristics. If not for a few demon-like body traits (bat wings, horns, tail etc), they could easily pass for a natural intelligent human, alien, elf etc of that kind. Demon Princes, like Demon Lords, can manipulate their inborn fusion of power.

Abomination (includes undead)
Abominations are disfigured creatures and undead who make up 96% of all creatures in demonic dimensions. Abominations do not possess a fusion with any element and during combat, they use weapons or their bare teeth and claws to slaughter their foes.

Note to all races and classes
Insignia and Colors:
Your character MUST possess your team's colors and/or your team's insignia/logo. If you don't have the colors or the insignia located somewhere on your character, your entry will not make it into the top 50. Please represent your team properly. This is a team event so make your team proud!

text_en_3drequire.gif

Your creation's budget:

Up to 10 000 tris max for everything (everything = characters, laser beams, shield effects, glows, other special effects, magical weapon, gear, steed(s), pet(s), twin(s), multiple characters, summoned monsters, personal equipment, etc).
1 x 2048 Color Map
*1 x 2048 Reflection Map
*1 x 2048 Specular Map
*1 x 2048 Specular Color Map
*1 x 2048 Normal Map
*1 x 2048 Bump Map
*1 x 2048 Opacity(transparency) Map
*1 x 2048 Glow map
*1 x 2048 Glossiness map

*Optional

Important - You cannot break your 2048 sheets into smaller sheets.
2-sided tris are permitted.
Shaders: All shaders from any game engine or 3d software package on planet earth, is allowed.
Lighting/rendering: All lighting/rendering solutions from any software package on planet earth, is allowed.

Your Presentation Pedestal's Budget:

ALL 3d entries must include a pedestal in their Presentation Image. You have unrestricted polygons and textures to create a pedestal with the following guidelines:
A pedestal is NOT a floor and/or it is NOT a room. It's a block, pillar, coffin, box, crate, stone slab, etc. Pedestal Examples: Hela by Chang Gun Nam | The Mole by Rémi Monier
No additional weapons or gear that your character can pick up and use can be put on the pedestal.
No additional characters, pets, animals, pieces of characters, dead characters, etc, can be put on your pedestal. Only Bones and skulls are fine.

The following images and text must be submitted to complete your 3D entry
All images must include text that indicates your character's race, class, your contact details, Dominance War IV logo and your team logo.

1. Text Image
Dimensions: Up to 1200w x 1000h pixels - 350k file size - JPG
Text image is a text image about your creation. Do not put your 3d creations on this image. This image is only for text. You can write how you got inspired, what your creation is about, or simply write your characters name and 1 sentence about who he/she/it is. Any language is fine. Any font is fine.

Good example: Example 1

2. Beauty Shot
You are free to do whatever post effects you like on this image. You can create multiple angles of your character or just one big version or your character. You can include background characters, environments, skies, effects.. basically, anything!

Good examples: Example 1 - Example 2 - Example 3

3. Presentation Shot
This image must contain one full front pose and one full back pose of your character. Poses must be placed on one large or two small pedestals. Post effects from 3d softwares or 2d programs like Photoshop are NOT allowed in this image. The only adjustments allowed are: Brightness/Contrast, and Hue/Saturation. Background must be a flat textured (grainy, etc) image or a pure or gradient color. You cannot put any objects, stars, things, fire, or people in your background.

4. Construction Shot
This image should demonstrate how your character was created. Suggested images to include: base wire frame, close ups of interesting areas, high-res model(s) (if character is normal mapped) etc..

5. Texture Sheets
This texture sheet must contain all used texture sheets (normal, diffuse, specular etc). Feel free to make a nice design for this sheet.

6. Concept Image

Any preliminary sketches, concepts, paintings, or photo references that helped you create your 3d character can be shown on this single sheet.

text_en_2drequire.gif

The following images and text must be submitted to complete your 2D entry
All images must include text that indicates your character's race, class, your contact details, Dominance War IV logo and your team logo.

1. Text Image
Text image is a text image about your creation. Do not put your 3d creations on this image. This image is only for text. You can write how you got inspired, what your creation is about, or simply write your characters name and 1 sentence about who he/she/it is. Any language is fine. Any font is fine.

2. Final Illustration
A final illustrated concept of your glorious Dominance War IV character. You can use any 2d software package and/or any traditional mediums like acrylics, color pencils, and oil paints to create this image. You must show a full figure in this image. The background can be anything.

3. Modeling Sheet
A Illustrated modeling sheet that shows at least 3 angles of your character. Choices include: Front, right, left, perspective, closeup(s), and/or back view.

4. Concept Sheet
A minimum of 6 black & white or single color (example light to dark blue etc) initial rough draft thumbnail sketches.

text_en_restrict.gif

For Norms and Demons: No vehicles allowed.
Pets and steeds are allowed for all races.
No Teams, groups or collaborations. Everything must be made by 1 single person.
Keep gore and nudity to a decent level please! Don’t get DW banned in various countries!
Artists wishing to enter 3d and concept art categories must create a new idea for each category. No 3d entry and concept entry can look the same.
Creating a forum thread and showing your work in progress is MANDATORY. Entries submitted without showing their work in progress will be disqualified. Entries who keep their work a secret until the last few days can potentially be disqualified. You Were Warned.

text_en_regulations.gif

Dominance War IV is open to all artists in all countries.
All champions, regardless of where they are on the planet, are eligible for prizes. If you have a shipping address and/or bank account, we will send you your prizes!
Any import taxes or duties on prizes must be paid by the prize winner as follows:
- Bank wire transfer deduction: - $35 US
- Bank Draft/Cheque deduction: - $5 US (+shipping)
- Paypal deduction: - $0 US
- Western Union Cheque: - $30 US
- Shipping and Handling for prizes: - $50-100 US for International | - $20-50 US for USA/Canada
Our sponsors are responsible for sending the prizes to the winners. GCCore Arts cannot be held responsible, nor can we provide a substitute in case prizes are no longer available or if the sponsors have retracted their sponsorship at any time during the contest.
All Cash prizes are listed in USD. Any transfer fees must be paid by the prize winner.
Payments cannot be divided into multiple shipping addresses or bank accounts.
To be eligible for prizes, winning entrants must cooperate in making an interview about themselves.
All art, sketches, and photographs submitted in or during Dominance War remains yours to do with as you wish. You retain all rights, ownerships, and/or copyrights for your work.
Judges' decisions are final and no correspondence will be entered into.
No late entries will be accepted. All Dominance War IV Participating forums will not be held responsible for late entries for any reason whatsoever. It is the sole responsibility of the entrants to make reasonable allowances for upload times and to plan accordingly.
The DW team reserve the right to cancel, extend or amend any part of Dominance War IV’s rules, prizes, or deadlines.

CHALLENGE DEADLINE:
11:59 p.m Eastern Time, Monday, May 11th, 2009

Click here for the original post on the Dominance War site

OKAY HOLY SHIT TEXT!

Anyways I know we have some pretty good artists here (just look at the art thread!) so we could get some good GAF contributions out there and that would be rad. If anything just do it for yourself and use it as an excuse to get something neat done :)

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
AlternativeUlster said:
Is this for nerds?

You are in GAF so yes

My -very- rough idea right now is of a traveling weapon master who happens to be a female. I haven't dwelled much itno it other than that but I know I want her to be carrying stuff, look sort of nomadic and still give the impression that she can be quite nimble even wile traveling. As for a magical artifact it could be one of her weapons or even that mask she wears, who knows at this stage.

First sketch, more to follow soon:

kira_sketch_01.jpg

Mik2121

Everytime I read "Art" in a thread title, I click it automatically :p

Didn't CGSociety or some other website have a Dominance Wars challenge recently where they had to create some profiles using a basic mesh? It's the same thing, right? Except now it's free..

Well, I'm in :D

Arcipello

im not a fan of the topics they always have.... too much focus on generic stuff like "post apocalyptic robots with magic" all you end up with is hundreds of boring entries. I prefere themes with more ambiguous themes... like "rebirth" for example, it lets the mind wonder more.

Raging Spaniard

Mik2121 said:
I just made a few basic shapes/silhouettes:

sketchpack01.jpg

Each shape done in about 1-2 minutes.

Awesome stuff, I really like D and F, interesting and could be pretty unique :)

Mik2121

I did another fast sketch during my break here at the internship.
It's using some kind of beetle-like armor and a big magic stick (...). Of course, most of my current sketches aren't quite post-apocalyptic so I'll fix that as soon as I get back home. Though if I make all those sticks sticking out of the body, some kind of plastic with lights at the end, I guess the mood would change quite a lot

Anyway, here is the cute pose (check out the legs!) for the beetle-armor Norm!

sidesketch.jpg

Thanks for the comments! I will take note on which ones are the favs (I'm posting this on GameArtisans and CGTalk as well) and if I like 'em as well, I'll continue to the next step. But yeah, first I wanna get back home (I'm at work now) and do some more sketches before deciding.

Re-quoting in BOLD for important shit that could get lost in WALLOFTEXT:

All art, sketches, and photographs submitted in or during Dominance War remains yours to do with as you wish. You retain all rights, ownerships, and/or copyrights for your work.

Wow! :O

Mik2121

NimbusD said:
Do you post on conceptart.org? If not someone makes silhouettes very similar to you.
I'm registered at conceptart and visit it daily, but my post count is at "1" right now, and I didn't post any design, just a comment :p.

Anyway, the whole silhouettes thing is very common so I'd guess it's not very surprising to see similar styles? Dunno.. Care to post a link?

(I just posted my DWIV entry at conceptart - http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2178040#post2178040 )

Mik2121

AlternativeUlster said:
I like your stuff MiK. You should represent GAF.
There's already a lot of good people over here, I think we should rather make a clan (I think that's possible).

Also I don't know very well how all those "representing" stuff works. I'm now posting all over at GameArtisans because I thought they were the main site but I'm not sure anymore. Maybe we can create the entries representing our own fav. site?..

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
not sure you can use GAF. I think you have to be part of certain art forums i.e cgtalk and gameartisans.org

Mik2121

Doc Holliday said:
not sure you can use GAF. I think you have to be part of certain art forums i.e cgtalk and gameartisans.org
Oh well, pretty much what I expected.

I guess I'll go with GameArtisans, even though I just joined that site yesterday...

Raging Spaniard

You have to be part of one of the representing forums, GAF isnt on that list sorry (Im representing CG Hub myself)

Heres some progress

kira_sketch_02.jpg

Mik2121 said:
Are you joining the Challenge? If so, I guess you already checked the rules... is that a demon?
yea a demon.
Raging Spaniard said:
You have to be part of one of the representing forums, GAF isnt on that list sorry (Im representing CG Hub myself)

Heres some progress

IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/XavierGarcia/kira_sketch_02.jpg[/IMG]
is conceptart.org involved? i still have my old account there.

Raging Spaniard

viakado said:
did this today on painter. maybe a couple hours or so.

1sm8n6.jpg

so how does this work? one art piece per site or per artist?

Per artist, the 2D requirements are:

The following images and text must be submitted to complete your 2D entry

1. Text Image

2. Final Illustration
A final illustrated concept of your glorious Dominance War IV character. You can use any 2d software package and/or any traditional mediums like acrylics, color pencils, and oil paints to create this image. You must show a full figure in this image. The background can be anything.

3. Modeling Sheet
A Illustrated modeling sheet that shows at least 3 angles of your character. Choices include: Front, right, left, perspective, closeup(s), and/or back view.

4. Concept Sheet
A minimum of 6 black & white or single color (example light to dark blue etc) initial rough draft thumbnail sketches.

yes :(
2 week avatar bet with zep. lakers lost/ *sigh*

but this is just a place holder. the real avatar is coming tomorrow morning.
someone hold me.

Mik2121

This part is quite important as well:

Time period:
Post-apocalyptic futuristic fantasy where magic exists.

It's futuristic, so I'd add some technology to your drawing. It doesn't need to be something like Matrix, but more like, for example, the newer Final Fantasy games, but.. dirtier :p

Nice concept you have there, nevertheless..

Mik2121

viakado said:
so basically final fantasy 7-13 style?
im not that far off!
Well, not only that, of course. It can be something gritter like Warhammer 40k with a bit more magic into it. I'd suggest to check out this:

http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22

And see what everybody's doing there if you have questions about your entry. Again, remember to do everything Raging Spaniard posted. If you are designer, you might want to make it all a bit prettier so you can add it to your portfolio. At least I will do that :lol (I'm still an Student, so the more "good" designs, the better)

Mik2121

viakado said:
interesting stuff they got there.
what are you guys using? painter? ps?
are we gonna have wips here as well?
I'll keep all my WIP content at GameArtisans because they basically tell you it's mandatory.

I will also keep posting everything in this thread, as well as the threads I made at ConceptArt and CGTalk, so I can get as many critics as possible.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I feel like hoping in, but I probably won't have the time.

Raging Spaniard

my name is ed said:
Confused, why exactly is this here on GAF? Looks like fun but we cant represent GAF, right?

Its on GAF because theres good artists here and its a cool activity, no need to be so critical :p If you wanna join just go make a thread in the forum of your choice and then also show us your WIPs here, not so hard right?

Raging Spaniard said:
Its on GAF because theres good artists here and its a cool activity, no need to be so critical :p If you wanna join just go make a thread in the forum of your choice and then also show us your WIPs here, not so hard right?
I was just wondering since GAF cant be represented. Ill probably make something and post it here. Ill even make it GAF exclusive material!
probably because I dont feel like making a thread on concept art

Raging Spaniard

my name is ed said:
I was just wondering since GAF cant be represented. Ill probably make something and post it here. Ill even make it GAF exclusive material!
probably because I dont feel like making a thread on concept art

Well, conceptart.org isnt even part of this contest so it wouldnt matter anyways :p

Ill have something along the weekend probably, its been somewhat busy around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom