• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Article: "Why There's No Wii 2, Xbox 720, Or PS4 On The Horizon"

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I don't think anyone disputes this article, everything stated we already know. The only thing I hope Nintendo, Microsoft, and SONY do is to upgrade their chipsets to 32nm and come out with smaller, more power efficient consoles. In this move, Microsoft should look to include wifi a 802.11 b/g/n card built in and get rid of the tray loading drive. Nintendo could benefit greatly with these updates and an added HDD, it's also about time to package the component cables with every Wii and standardize 480p.

Yeah, added RAM would be awesome for all consoles, but that's never going to happen.

Wishful thinking of course, but it could happen! :D

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I agree.. I am still very impressed with the visuals being put out by the 360 and PS3. I don't think we need a new console at this point in time.

Especially as the 360 is finally starting to really turn into the media hub I wanted it to be from day 1.

I think the natal was proof that MS doesn't see the 360 going away anytime soon. The Wii has shown both MS and Sony that graphics don't equal winning anymore.. so they can (and are) looking to gameplan to keep this gens consoles going for longer.

Of course, I really need the fucking 360 to drop their HDD prices to take advantage of the new tricks it does. I'm convinced all this cool shit is an excuse to make me buy a god damned hard drive.

SkySonata said:
Don't need to have a ruling effect. Game companies know better without anyone telling them to. The article has one major flaw, and this flaw is what undermines anything it predicts.

And that flaw is...... they are not taking the PC market into account. The next big leap in graphics cards are not that far away, neither is Direct X11. Consoles will look very dated by 2011, if not Q2 2010. Not even the Wii can last that long, as Microsoft has completely 1-upped it: better graphics with even better game control.

Shots have been fired. Get ready for new consoles in a few years, whether you like it or not.

PCs and PC gaming become less and less relevant as each year slips by, whether you like it or not.

GaussTek

Anyone else think the expansion pack from the N64 was a great idea?

I mean, I bet actual RAM it's currently the major limitant for devs. Imagine the benefit from 256MB-512MB extra RAM for the HD consoles.

Salmonax

Chrange said:
When do those games come out?
It doesn't matter anyway. With more powerful consoles developers will still push them hard enough that 60fps games will be the exception, just as they are now.

RaijinFY

CounterSeal said:
I still have many friends who just recently joined this "gen" through getting a PS3/360/Wii, so I'm one of the many that feel there's no need for a new generation of consoles anytime soon. That 10 year life cycle that Sony's been touting for the PS3 is looking more and more feasible.

A new PS machine for me would be around 2014-2015.

dazzgc

Banned
"The PS3 has no problem pushing 1080p visuals at a smooth 60 frames a second -- the standard for the best HDTVs."

thats so lol

kodt

Banned
I wouldn't mind new consoles coming soon, as long as they are fully backwards compatible. The more often consoles come out the less likely I am to be tempted to upgrade my PC.

Bishman said:
One game will bring PC gaming back. Starcraft 2.

pretty much. Blizzard and the Sims can keep PC gaming alive for some time.

The thing is PC gaming is losing some of its heavy hitters in the graphics department. So I think we won't be seeing the large disparity between console and PC graphics like we have in the past. PC gaming will always be strong, it just might not always be so far ahead in terms of graphics.

Pimpbaa

dazzgc said:
"The PS3 has no problem pushing 1080p visuals at a smooth 60 frames a second -- the standard for the best HDTVs."

thats so lol

Yeah that got a chuckle out of me. Maybe he only played GT5P and Wipeout HD.

Article said:
the upcoming slate of games will be the most technically ambitious, polished video games ever.
Bullshit. I don't see a single game on the console horizon that challenges Crysis, and that game is approaching its second birthday.

brain_stew said:
No need for costly R & D tbh, they just need a Wii like upgrad, a beefier Cell chip, more RAM and an upgraded Nvidia chip. Couple that with a more focused hardware design, with cost savings at the forefront and a "base" model without the bling available from launch and you have a very affordable console from which you can start breaking even or turning a profit on from launch.

Nailed it.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
MikeOfTheLivingDead said:
PCs and PC gaming become less and less relevant as each year slips by, whether you like it or not.

Really? Cause the massive market in China, Korea and the potential market in India all game pretty much solely on PC. And PC is still bigger than any console in Eastern Europe.

Do you have WW revenue for PC gaming on hand?

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I could wait another 2-3 years for a new machine from sony and Ms. The Wii on the other hand is really starting to show it's age. Nintendo doesn't need to launch a new console anytime soon, but damn it would be nice :)

HK-47 said:
Really? Cause the massive market in China, Korea and the potential market in India all game pretty much solely on PC. And PC is still bigger than any console in Eastern Europe.

Isn't PC Gaming GROWING in America currently?

I don't mind a ps4 in 2012 or so, as long it's fully backward compatible with ps, ps2, ps3, and psn. That means stick with CELL, Sony. And add a gigaton of RAM in there. And maybe a SSD while you're at it.

camineet

Banned
CounterSeal said:
That 10 year life cycle that Sony's been touting for the PS3 is looking more and more feasible.

bullshit, it's not.

besides, Sony never said it would be 10 years between PS3 and PS4. They only said they wanted PS3 to be on the market 10 years, meaning like PS1 and PS2.

No new consoles until 2012 at the earliest please.

No seriously. I'm enjoying my PSWii60 FAR too much now, and the future only looks brighter.

I have Crackdown 2, and soon I'll have God of War 3. I'm SET motherfuckers.

Oh yeah, and Uncharted 2

JCX

I would like new console announcement in late 2012, with them coming out in 2013 or 2014. Anything before is too soon.

I wouldn't care if another console didn't come until 2013-14. There is nothing a new console can do in the foreseeable future that today's consoles cannot, besides prettier graphics and as far as I'm concerned, Crysis alone isn't a good enough reason to upgrade.

HK-47 said:

Also to add.

If the PC was a lost case then why is SE pushing to make some exclusives for the PC.
Why is SF 4, Resident Evil 5 and other Capcom games being released for the PC?

Despite piracy I think the PC market is still a decent market, especially if there is good multiplayer.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
brain_stew said:
There's huge incentive for Sony to force a new generation and I fully expect them to do so in 2011 or 2012. The PS3 is a lost cause at this point in terms of gaining market share and making up for its losses.
Way to make it obvious that you didn't even bother to read the article.

RaijinFY

brain_stew said:
Your average cell phone is going to have better graphics than a PS3 by then ffs. Way too long to wait.

You people are out of your mind with a new PS3 by 2011 or 2012 IMO. Maybe for Microsoft, maybe for Nintendo...

SkySonata

Banned
bigmit3737 said:
Also to add.

If the PC was a lost case then why is SE pushing to make some exclusives for the PC.
Why is SF 4, Resident Evil 5 and other Capcom games being released for the PC?

Despite piracy I think the PC market is still a decent market, especially if there is good multiplayer.

The cost of PC gaming is going down, which drives up demand. That is why the market is growing recently. It sure isn't the wallet-killer it was 4 years ago. >.<!

Juice

brain_stew said:
There's huge incentive for Sony to force a new generation and I fully expect them to do so in 2011 or 2012. The PS3 is a lost cause at this point in terms of gaining market share and making up for its losses.

They couldn't afford it if the wanted to. And they don't want to.

squicken said:
I stopped reading at 1080p@60fps

LOL. Same. That said, I still don't see anything wrong with 720p for another 5 years. About then we'll be due for a real improvement even at a low cost console pricetag, and the devs will be chomping at the bit for more FLOPs, cores, and RAM even if they're not using them to push more polys. Seemless environments and better effects at 60fps and 1080p will be enough to make games that look great now a generational leap.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Wii+ phase-in...
-mid-generation bump
-same Wii casing (different colors available)
-cheaper, lower wattage, cooler motherboard/chipset
-boosted flash storage and higher download cap for WiiWare titles
-boosted RAM and/or frame buffer to allow 720p native ouput
-software upscaling of new/current games to 720p
-WM+ packed-in
-WiiSpeak packed-in
-component cable packed-in
-32GB SD Card packed-in
-WiiSports + WiiSports Resort + Wii Demos all on one disc

This would work for a lot of people without being too unrealistic. It's basically the current Wii with more peripherals packed-in and native 720p output. I would harken it to be much like a DSlite to DSi transition. However, there are some issues with this...

Issue #1: would Nintendo be able to boost the frame buffer so easily...and even so, what about current Wii owners?

Issue #2: current Wii owners' save data (especially for WFC data/VC/WiiWare) can't be copied to a new Wii...if anything this could make the already poor WFC issues worse. This could be fixed by allowing tansfers between Wii to Wii+ via WiFi & product registration, but that could backfire...

They could answer both those issues with *Reggie*Not*My*Problem*...or, they could just wait 'til the next system and not do a mid-way jump. I thought maybe a Wii "expansion pak" could be done via the USB + A/V output, but that's less technically doable. More realistically, Nintendo stays and milks the current Wii and simply does pricedrops, pack-ins & new colors for the next couple years instead.

WM+ would be the perfect oppurtunity to finally offer another Wii sku (though I do think having only 1 sku for the Wii helped it) and/or phase out the old one with one that comes with WM+, WiiSports Resort (and to be sweeter: WiiSpeak, component cable & an SD card) packed-in.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
brain_stew said:
Your average cell phone is going to have better graphics than a PS3 by then ffs. Way too long to wait.

okay I've got to stop you right there. by 2014, the PS3 will be 8 years old. do current cell phones have better graphics than the Xbox or the GameCube, which were released 8 years ago?

kitch9

Banned
SkySonata said:
Don't need to have a ruling effect. Game companies know better without anyone telling them to. The article has one major flaw, and this flaw is what undermines anything it predicts.

And that flaw is...... they are not taking the PC market into account. The next big leap in graphics cards are not that far away, neither is Direct X11. Consoles will look very dated by 2011, if not Q2 2010. Not even the Wii can last that long, as Microsoft has completely 1-upped it: better graphics with even better game control.
Shots have been fired. Get ready for new consoles in a few years, whether you like it or not.

I see plenty of people saying this, but seriously it was one potentially staged demo, who knows what, if any shannigans were used to make the tech appear better than it is. I say the people saying these things need to wind their necks in a bit and wait until we have the tech in our hands.

Danthrax said:
okay I've got to stop you right there. by 2014, the PS3 will be 8 years old. do current cell phones have better graphics than the Xbox or the GameCube, which were released 8 years ago?

Yes and progress is moving ever swifter all the time.

Burai said:
Yeah, but toward efficiency rather than brute horsepower in the mobile sector.

5 years of efficiencey improvements can go a long way. I guarantee there'll be mobile phone graphics chipsets more capable than RSX in 2014, heck, they've been more feature rich for over a year already.

Neo C.

brain_stew said:
5 years of efficiencey improvements can go a long way. I guarantee there'll be mobile phone graphics chipsets more capable than RSX in 2014, heck, they've been more feature rich for over a year already.
Why would someone want a mobile phone with such a graphic chipset?

The question isn't rhetoric, I really want to know. As far as the development goes, I would think everyone wants more energy efficiency and lower price.

Minsc

Gold Member
Neo C. said:
Why would someone want a mobile phone with such a graphic chipset?

The question isn't rhetoric, I really want to know. As far as the development goes, I would think everyone wants more energy efficiency and lower price.

Mobile phones are said to eventually completely replace a person's need for laptops/desktops/handhelds/cameras/camcorders.

camineet

Banned
A new PlayStation console (PS4) needs to arrive in 2012 or 2013 at the latest. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony launched "early" in fall 2011, since PS3 is such a failure for them.

PS3 never impressed anyone with its graphics, dispite being the highest-end, most expensive console this generation. The RSX (which is basicly a cut-down version of a GPU that came out in mid 2005, 1.5 years before PS3 launched) didn't provide graphics that were any better than Xbox 360 or PCs a year before PS3. Combined just average graphics with a high pricepoint, and you're ASKING for failure. CELL didn't make up for that, and despite some really stupid PR statements, Blu-ray didn't help graphics either. Sony needs to hit restart. Whether the focus is on graphics, motion-control, or something else, Sony needs some very good ideas. Microsoft and Nintendo aren't going to stop with Natal and MotionPlus on the motion-control front, either.

John_B

I think the next generation will be an extension of this one. Development will take a natural step up in complexity, but rendering techniques won't change drastically like they did with this generation.

So I don't really see development cost making a big jump like it did from the previous generation to this one. In other words; transition will be realtively smooth.

It doesn't really matter what the processing power is behind the new systems from Microsoft and Sony, what matters for them is that they don't launch too early or launch last.

camineet

Banned
Fjolle said:
Uhm. Why are people here assuming that they haven't started developing the next gen years ago?

Not me.

As far as I can tell, Sony started developing PS4 no later than the first year they mentioned it, in 2005, around the time PS3 was revealed.

Minsc

Gold Member
Didn't Ubisoft say a few weeks ago that they only have 10% of their workforce on current gen projects, and the other 90% are preparing for the next gen launch?

I'm sure they're not the only ones.

JavyOO7

Minsc said:
Didn't Ubisoft say a few weeks ago that they only have 10% of their workforce on current gen projects, and the other 90% are preparing for the next gen launch?

I'm sure they're not the only ones.

Its the reverse, I believe.

Top Bottom