• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Shadows Release November 15, 2024

EDMIX

The more we have the "whatever Ill accept it and take it in the ass" mentality the worse games will get.
? Sooooo do you not get how odd of a take this is? Your point isn't some holy for the good of the industry view, its trying force people to hate a game based on your own opinion instead of just respecting someone might disagree with you.

What ever game you like Cockatrice, you'd never have me even once make some statement like "take it in the ass" cause you like a video game I don't...

So, the "mentality" you are talking about is called free will.. You need to seriously get over it as I don't even know how anyone would have a meaningful conversation with you when you simply believe anyone disagreeing with you, MUST be forcing themselves to like something.

Or, hear me out....they might just have a different point of view regarding those games. Crazy, I know..

. Grow some balls and play other stuff instead of your generic AAA cancer.
I play many games bud, even the "other stuff", so this whole "take it in the ass" and "grow some balls" comes from some place with this idea that the thing we are playing is by force or we hate it or are being scared into buying or something.

Sir...we just fucking disagree with you and play different games lol

Thats it....

Looks like the Osaka and Tokyo studio were actually involved in making this game.

I stand corrected then, couldnt find that info on wiki. Makes sense since they needed some accuracy for the setting, however I stand by my choice, as most Ubisoft games have Ubi branches involvement from all over the world, mostly for testing, translating, etc. but the main developer is Quebec.

Why did you hate the protagonist in Nioh? He was based on William Adams who was a real person.

Felt out of place. Generic Witcher looking guy in a Japanese setting. In a way its the same reason having Ghost of Tsushima have OG english voices was idiotic and it took them years? to lip sync it to Japanese and replaying it now, the sync is still shit. I get it, most americans watch Japanese media with dubs and yes, I hate those people. Call me nuts, but I stand by it.

? Sooooo do you not get how odd of a take this is? Your point isn't some holy for the good of the industry view, its trying force people to hate a game based on your own opinion instead of just respecting someone might disagree with you.

What ever game you like Cockatrice, you'd never have me even once make some statement like "take it in the ass" cause you like a video game I don't...

So, the "mentality" you are talking about is called free will.. You need to seriously get over it as I don't even know how anyone would have a meaningful conversation with you when you simply believe anyone disagreeing with you, MUST be forcing themselves to like something.

Or, hear me out....they might just have a different point of view regarding those games. Crazy, I know..

I play many games bud, even the "other stuff", so this whole "take it in the ass" and "grow some balls" comes from some place with this idea that the thing we are playing is by force or we hate it or are being scared into buying or something.

Sir...we just fucking disagree with you and play different games lol

Thats it....

I wont debate you further. You have your own opinions I have my own and I'll just leave it at that.

MrRibeye

On Ubisoft's website here, they say:
"The team made trips to Japan to help them properly grasp the landscape and the culture, and more importantly, connect with Ubisoft’s Tokyo and Osaka teams, who helped with the creation of the game."

However, the Art Director of Ubisoft Osaka is a French Canadian woman from Montreal, among other French Canadians at the studio in director roles, making Osaka a Québécois echo chamber.

Ubisoft be like: "Let's fly to Osaka and consult the French Canadians there."
Canadian Lol GIF

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Of course, people are free to be racists if they want and Japanese are also very racist by nature. I never said they werent.
These are fictional games, there is no "rules" who should and shouldn't be in the game and we talking about AC game which its core story is about futuristic tech that lets you experience lives of your ancestors.

I personally have ZERO interest in game and mostly because how Ubisoft design their games.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Fair, but I am free to discuss and complain about it. If we wouldnt, we'd be getting worse and worse games by year.
I think we should criticizing their online BS policy, bland gameplay loop and crap story.

What we all ultimately want out of the story is interesting characters, it doesn't matter if the character is black or Japanese....if the character is end up bland and then its bland character regardless of race or sex.

I think we should criticizing their online BS policy, bland gameplay loop and crap story.

We already have, though I avoided a lot of these discussions because up until Valhalla I am guilty of playing all their games, bad and good. Valhalla was the point where I stopped and just gave up and promised myself I'd avoid anything else they made if they wont improve. Doesnt seem like AC Shadow will. Anyway.. whatever. I am just a pebble in an ocean.

GHound

With them making shit up I'd rather they had just made Yasuke a ninja too. At least then it pulls away from the pre-existing fairy tale that Yasuke was some renowned black samurai in the service of Nobunaga and would have owned all of Japan if it wasn't for that rotten bastard Mitsuhide!

Now I have to see people all over the internet screech about how if you deny Yasuke was a samurai you're a racist. Again.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
If this game is good it will be one of the best selling AC games ever released.

They made the right decision with the character because it will bring more attention to the game, just watch.

I already see morons losing it on Twitter = free marketing lmao
Valhalla was a turd and it was the most selling ac game to date.

They don't really need quality, ac with vikings or ac samurai sells by itself.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The bastards actually did.
They are returning to Black-Box style assassinations.
Objectives are much more open ended.
Dynamic Lighting so we can snuff out lanterns to create shadows during night missions.

84_years_meme.jpg

Freely select character depending on what playstyle you want. Naoe classic Assassins, Yasuke RPG Assassins.
Some missions locked to characters - obviously.
Imma be Naoe everywhere im allowed to be, I didnt hate the combat in Odyssey.....I just didnt like it....I want that stealth focused gameplay.

I hope the tech theyve been developing in this engine is in prep for SplinterCell.

Toots

Gold Member

DelireMan7

While everybody is fighting about main characters, I am there enjoying another Assassin's Creed CGI trailer.
I played AC 1 to 4 like 3/4 years ago and liked them. Not the biggest fan but quite enjoyable games.
I am a sucker for CGI trailer and Assassin's Creed one are usually quite good to watch.

It's funny to see all the "fact" checkers about Yasuke just to spit on the game.

AC was always about historical fiction. It uses History as setting for their fantastical/sci-fi story. It was never 100% acccurate.
I get that it's surprising to have a black main protagonist in Japan but there is a female japanese one so...
I can see why they went this route :
  • Real historical person
  • Set them apart from the unavoidable comparison to Ghost of Tsushima, Rise of the Ronin (and probably other Japanese open-world game I forgot from recent years)
  • Fit the "woke" era (AC was always designed to be mainstream and to please the largest audience so...) with a black and woman protagonists while still remaining in the historical setting.
Anyway, I'll probably play it in few years after I am done catching up with the games.
In any case, it hyped me up to go back to AC. After Stellar Blade and Shadow of the Erdtree, I'll go to my second most anticipated AC games to play : Unity.

Certinty

So is this the RPG-kind of Ass Creed where you need to grind 80% of the game through repetitive pointless shit just to get through the main story or the good kind like the older ones and Mirage?

Ashamam

Not sure if anyone noticed but it is day and date on Apple Silicon. Reasonably good chance gameplay is shown off at WWDC in June.

Its highlighted on the App Store right now for pre-order.

Last edited:

CSJ

Imagine races other than black and caucasian.
Just imagine, for once, just do anything but the American way of thinking.

They had it right within their grasp, it was right there, in front of them the entire time.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Can you imagine if ubisoft pull a star wars on the japanese cover of the game to hide yusuke in the background like they did with the sweaty unfunny janitor for the china version?

star-wars-china-poster-controversy.jpg

Last edited:

hussar16

Don't block people who have a different opinion. That's beta behaviour. Instead, try and have a rational debate, or just let people have a different opinion and don't engage.

You said that anyone who supports this protagonist is racist against Japanese people, and that people would be equally angry if it was a white man.

But what about Nioh where you play as a white samurai? I do remember some people claiming it was another example of the "white saviour" trope, but there were very few and nowhere near the backlash this game is getting. Why did Nioh get the pass but this AC doesn't? Serious question.
Niih is fantasy.ac tries to be historical

Švejk

? Yea, probably from people who just play fucking video games bud.

Not all of us give a shit about like 90% of what this thread is crying over.

I just play games....

Will play this.
I'm just curious, what makes this game so exciting that hasn't been done already? And most likely better? Will this be better than Sekiro? Tenchu? Onimusha? Nioh? Ghost of Tsushima? Rise of the Ronin? Keep in mind, this is Ubisoft we're talking about...

I really like Viking games, but Valhalla was a bloated piece of shit. Somehow Odyssey did it better, but walked the line of being a tolerable open world AC... Ubisoft has only gotten worse since. If you tolerate their practices, enjoy.

I like Star Wars, but the shit they're pulling on Outlaws is unexcaptable too. Not supporting them for dog shit tier corpo decisions.

Speaking of Odyssey, wanted to take a historical jab at it too... I loved playing as Kassandra, as she and Alexios do closely resemble modern Greeks... Ancient Greeks on the other hand, did not look like that at all. They were stark blonde and blue eyed, until the centuries of Turkish invaders have all but overridden their original features. But if they represented them as so, the same crowd would've lost their minds... Just saying.

King Dazzar

From someone who loved the recent trilogy, including Valhalla. My main concern is the further push into single player GaaS, beyond Valhalla and into always online requirement. That's before we even look into any gameplay etc. It reeks of extremely heavily monetised grind. Not excited. Shame as I thought Origins was superb.

Last edited:
I don't care that we have a black samurai, I care that for the first time in 15 games we are playing as a real historical figure.

Yasuke could've been a major NPC and we still play as a black samurai that history forgot (or the Templars erased from history), but since we are Yasuke they either have to shoehorn the story into the 15 months he spent in Japan (the last few imprisoned) or change him so much he might as well be an original character.

RaduN

It never comes across like that though, that's part of the problem IMO.
No, that's part of the charm...well, that it used to have when games were better (up to Unity or something, but really, Ezio's arc is the only one worth a damn).

Same with MGS, which inserts moderate sci fi elements/characters into real historic events.

It can very well be a history lesson to some degree, if one has the actual ability of discernment.

King Dazzar

I totally agree that AC is fiction. However, you said there was nothing historical about it. Which isn't correct. The fictional backdrop setting is very much historically driven. Real events and places, inspiring the story. And its something I loved about it.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I totally agree that AC is fiction. However, you said there was nothing historical about it. Which isn't correct. The fictional backdrop setting is very much historically driven. Real events and places, inspiring the story. And its something I loved about it.

What I mean is that these are not games for people looking for historical fiction. It's not a historical game series. It's firmly sci-fi.

As a history scholar I'd love AC to dump all the sci-fi stuff and just be historical adventure games, but that's never been the case.

No, that's part of the charm...well, that it used to have when games were better (up to Unity or something, but really, Ezio's arc is the only one worth a damn).

Same with MGS, which inserts moderate sci fi elements/characters into real historic events.

It can very well be a history lesson to some degree, if one has the actual ability of discernment.
It's biting it on the ass now or should I say again.

Stafford

I'm surprised the backlash seems to be solely about Yasuke? What about the lady? I mean if people want to hate and say shit isn't historically accurate.....what about a female shinobi in that time? I haven't done any research but I was told by my buddy that women absolutely weren't allowed to fight in that era. Anyone with some knowledge on that?

For me it's honestly just whatever, let me see gameplay. If it's dope, I buy, if it's not, I won't.

Here it is boys...time to pack it up this game is cooked. Lead writer on this game follows Sweet Baby Inc. and wouldn't be surprised if they are in the credits. A twenty something with bad prison tattoos, she/her doesn't seem to have 2 brain cells to rub together based on reading her tweets. Is this your queen that will take you to the AC promised land?

JDSQIrF.jpeg

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I'm surprised the backlash seems to be solely about Yasuke? What about the lady? I mean if people want to hate and say shit isn't historically accurate.....what about a female shinobi in that time? I haven't done any research but I was told by my buddy that women absolutely weren't allowed to fight in that era. Anyone with some knowledge on that?

For me it's honestly just whatever, let me see gameplay. If it's dope, I buy, if it's not, I won't.
Currently all we know are the characters. Once story details come out, I am sure there will be outrage to naoe if she is part of some girl boss/slackticist nonsense.

RaduN

Of course they existed. One common name for such type of assassin would be kunoichi.

Seems like this Ass Creed might serve as a history lesson for some after all.

GymWolf

Gold Member

Weren't kunoichi a real thing?

They are just turning that to 11 i guess.

LordCBH

Some good news about the online bit:
R0zEjLy.jpeg

This is a good step. They need to nix the internet required to install though. It ships on two discs on the Xbox so they clearly aren’t just shipping a license key on a disc that triggers a 90GB download. This internet required for install thing is 100% Ubisoft trying to police people by blocking them from playing early if Amazon ships before release.

Edit: because how else would they sell the deluxe edition whos main selling point is 3 days early

Last edited:

King Dazzar

This is a good step. They need to nix the internet required to install though. It ships on two discs on the Xbox so they clearly aren’t just shipping a license key on a disc that triggers a 90GB download. This internet required for install thing is 100% Ubisoft trying to police people by blocking them from playing early if Amazon ships before release.
That's a good point. Its sounding quite similar to Valhalla in so far as there will be a regular stream of content, so there will no doubt always be many updates too.

LordCBH

That's a good point. Its sounding quite similar to Valhalla in so far as there will be a regular stream of content, so there will no doubt always be many updates too.

I feel like if they weren’t delaying the standard release by 3 days, they wouldn’t bother with an internet connection required install.

My post was trying to be helpful. As I'd read some posts saying it was permanently online. Hence why also they made a tweet specifically about it. Please feel free to go and troll someone else.
Calm down, it always said internet required to install the game. It never said always online, hence why I was confused given you've posted this in a different thread.

Top Bottom