• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Shadows Release November 15, 2024

LordCBH

Ubisoft really playing y’all like a damn fiddle. Look everyone a black samurai and pay no attention to Ubisoft charging over $100 to play the game 3 days early.

I’m down for raising ire over it, but let’s not act like that’s exclusively a Ubisoft thing. EA does it, Microsoft did it with Forza I think, Activision did it last year. It is, unfortunately, a normalized thing to delay the standard editions a few days.

Alebrije

After Mirage ( a bland/flat Game)..UBI needs a hit with Shadows but honestly UBI came later since Ghost of T. It's been here for years.

Shadows Will be compared with GOT , hope the gameplay is good because if it's the same of previous games it's done.

GOT is a great game, with a good research of japans culture. The trailer of Shadows looks like an anime episode. For a cultural approach GOT looks better.

Hope UBI has great surprises for the gameplay showcase

King Dazzar

Calm down, it always said internet required to install the game. It never said always online, hence why I was confused given you've posted this in a different thread.
No worries. Yeah, not sure where the rumour started from now. But it was gaining traction, hence they needed to do a clarifying tweet.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Ubisoft really playing y’all like a damn fiddle. Look everyone a black samurai and pay no attention to Ubisoft charging over $100 to play the game 3 days early.
Not defending anything or anyone who wants to shell out 100+ dollars for this game. (I think its scummy to hide missions though)
But lets clear up the editions so there isnt any misinformation.

All the editions that come with the 3 days early also come with other stuff.

gold-1715790946537.jpg

ultimate-1715790963561.jpg

RED_MOCKUP_COLLECTOR_1920x1080_AR_US.jpg

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
After Mirage ( a bland/flat Game)..UBI needs a hit with Shadows but honestly UBI came later since Ghost of T. It's been here for years.

Shadows Will be compared with GOT , hope the gameplay is good because if it's the same of previous games it's done.

GOT is a great game, with a good research of japans culture. The trailer of Shadows looks like an anime episode. For a cultural approach GOT looks better.

Hope UBI has great surprises for the gameplay showcase
The next GoT game is rumored to feature a female lead. Not sure if Jin will be around, but expect to see a female samurai or a female ninja, research be damned.

I guess we will see in a few weeks with the PS showcase rumored for may.

nikolino840

For those who are afraid that it is not historically accurate, it is better to look for a biography on Leonardo da Vinci and see if it corresponds to what da Vinci did in ac2

raintrija

Neo Member
Hi everyone, I want to share my opinion on this topic.

First, I want to mention that I'm Asian (Vietnamese). I have been a fan of the Assassins Creed series for almost 14 years, from AC 1 to the latest game. This franchise is very dear to me.

And I also want to say that I have great respect for black and African people. I have read several books by Mr. Obama, the former US President, and books by Mrs. Toni Morrison... I also enjoy watching films featuring Black actors such as Denzel Washington and Don Cheadle.... I have great admiration for actor Morgan Freeman; he is like an uncle to me.

I have said those things because I want you to know that I like Black people just like White people or my Asian people. And I also think that having a black lead character like Yasuke in this game is a positive and interesting choice.

But I also want to say that I like to have a choice play as an Asian or Japanese male lead character in this game, the franchise that I care a lot, especially considering the setting and theme of this game. Many of my friends share this sentiment as well.

I hope you understand this is a valid concern because this is a game that we love, I have waited 14 years and when the mainline Assassin's Creed game has an Asian setting but we are not able to play in gender (race) who represents us is very disappointing.

I want to mention that having Naoe as a female Asian lead in the game is great, but as a male fan of the Assassin's Creed franchise, which features a male main lead representing the native countries of their settings in almost every mainline version, I want to have the option to play as a male Asian character (like a choice to play as male ninja/shinobi). It's disappointing that Ubisoft doesn't give us male Asian fans this choice.

As I have said I think Yasuke is an interesting character, and I look forward to playing and know more about him. I respect the game developers' creative intention for their products, It is just that I think Ubisoft should give us Asian people the choice to play as the Asian male lead.

In the end, I hope you respect other people's opinions like us that we want to have a choice to play this game as a Japanese male lead. And do not think we are racist or have bad prejudice against black people, that we are not.

However I also understand that some people who comment on this subject are racist and use discussions like this to spread their hateful views towards Black people while pretending to care about Asian people. I think it's important to call them out for this terrible behavior before it harms other people.

I still like this game and will buy it, I just wish there was a chance for us Asian male fans, sigh.

Thank you everyone for reading my comment.

alexaxel99

Neo Member
I do not have any good expectations of this game, between the usual stuff of the boring and bloated, monotonous and boring gameplay and story of Ubisoft style of games and the scummy approach to microtransactions and price they damaged their reputation and right now Ubisoft is synonymous of mediocrity. And about the character of Yosuke, it could be an interesting story to see a new perspective of Japan and all the misteries that involves this character but to be honest, the story and characters are being written by the Oddysey team and that game had one of the worst stories and characters that i have played and is specially jarring in this type of games. Another thing to add is that Ubisoft needs this game to be successful at all costs, more after the big flops of the incredible AAAA of Skull and Bones and Avatar ( 80% of Ubisoft's total value evaporated over the period of 8 year, this is an absolutely decline in their results.). And to think how i loved this franchise especially with AC2 which is one of my favourite games that i have ever played, made with true love and passion compared with the games that they make today.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

I feel like in a AC game which is primarily stealth you should just be a Ninja/Kunoichi instead of a Samurai frontliner.

Imagine being able to switch characters on the fly. You want to be out in the open and call your enemies to you, choose the Samurai. Want stealth? Choose the ninja. Would help to differentiate this game from the rest of AC.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Imagine being able to switch characters on the fly. You want to be out in the open and call your enemies to you, choose the Samurai. Want stealth? Choose the ninja. Would help to differentiate this game from the rest of AC.
I'd rather have a new Tenchu. Problem with AC is if you play one you've played them all. All Ubisoft games follow the same structure.

GooseMan69

You just know most of the people slamming the game are gonna end up buying it and getting absolutely addicted to it for a few weeks lol.

Ubisoft is the McDonald’s of gaming. Nobody wants to admit they like it but everyone goes anyway.

feynoob

Gold Member
You just know most of the people slamming the game are gonna end up buying it and getting absolutely addicted to it for a few weeks lol.

Ubisoft is the McDonald’s of gaming. Nobody wants to admit they like it but everyone goes anyway.
Actions are louder than voice.

Vote wallet is the best policy. Works all the time.

EDMIX

Haaa finally something we agree on EDMIX EDMIX instead of bickering about cdpr games lol. See you day 1 brother.

Truth.

I don't see the issue that the thread is crying about because this is a franchise that has no actual base in telling some historical factual thing. None of the things that are being discussed are even reasons I've ever purchased a game or reasons I would ever avoid a game. Even the things I say about CD project red ultimately if they put out a good game or a game that looks like it's going to be interesting I'm still going to purchase it because the game comes first.

I wont debate you further. You have your own opinions I have my own and I'll just leave it at that.

Look honestly that simply should have been what you are saying since the very start. It's okay to have a different opinion I'm not knocking that you do, Simply you must accept that other people genuinely have a different opinion instead of making it sound like someone is forcing themselves to like something you dislike , it sounds really weird like you honestly cannot fathom that someone disagrees with you to the point of making it sound like they're forcing themselves to like something lol

The fact that someone's playing a video game for fun that you may dislike should not be a debatable thing on here.... If you right now tell me you enjoy some game that I dislike why would I spend this energy trying to pretend you must hate it and you're just lying to me and your forcing yourself to like it?

I have no issue with us discussing games, But what should not be done on here is debating someone just playing a damn game, this should be completely understood.
I'm just curious, what makes this game so exciting that hasn't been done already?
I personally don't care bud, I'm not playing this game based on something that's never been done before, there's lots of games that I play that are kind of standard stuff like the Persona series or even Dragon Quest or even puzzle games like Lumines many times I'm playing a game based on stuff that I'm familiar with that I enjoy.....thats it

So I love new concepts as well stuff like Dreams or Death Stranding that aim to do something different, that does not actually mean I exclusively seek to play something like that I also enjoy stuff like Yakuza that unapologetically go in one direction with very little change often. Not everything needs to be radically different to be entertaining or to be something someone wants to purchase this should never even be some prerequisite to liking a game or something..
but Valhalla was a bloated piece of shit. Somehow Odyssey did it better, but walked the line of being a tolerable open world AC... Ubisoft has only gotten worse since. If you tolerate their practices, enjoy.

I don't see much evidence of that you're also talking about the best selling assassin's creed game in history so clearly millions don't really agree with you...So..."worse" is an opinion that doesn't seem to be backed up by any data to support some wild backlash of less buying it. Its hard to get someone to be upset about something having lots of content lol To many, they may not see it the way you do bud. Even I didn't play all of Valhalla 100% and I don't see it having more content as this negative thing.

As if me having less of something is a benefit somehow lol Pay more for less.....not sure about all that. (well I don't 100% most games these days so maybe that is why I generally don't give a shit about this so called issue lol)
? Will this be better than Sekiro? Tenchu? Onimusha? Nioh? Ghost of Tsushima? Rise of the Ronin?

All the games you listed I also purchased as well, And I don't think any of those games are any better than the other games, they all do unique things differently and have their own twist which is why I purchased all of them but I don't put them all against each other simply because they're all based in Japan

That would be like fucking trying to ask someone if gta is better than The division simply because they both take place in the United States....

I mean you do understand that a country is not a fucking genre right?

I like Star Wars, but the shit they're pulling on Outlaws is unexcaptable too. Not supporting them for dog shit tier corpo decisions.

I don't even see the point in bringing up Star Wars Outlaws because the game didn't even come out, So I'm not trying to be mean but I just don't purchase games based on people's feelings of a corporate decision and you're talking to a person that has openly made so many statements against CD project Red and I'm still fucking telling you I would still buy their games if the game is actually good...

So any criticism I have for a publisher in regards to their practices as a business does not fucking mean I base buying my games on something like this it has no place when actually just discussing a fucking video game..

So I'm not saying that this is the perfect company, If anything I'm saying what fucking company are you buying games from that magically has done nothing wrong is just 100% innocent and you could vet every fucking employee to virtual signal something lol

I just buy games for fun

Don't care if it does something new or not, don't care about your feelings on history on a fake video game about DNA going back in time, don't care the company does wild company things, what fucking publisher doesn't?

I just buy games if they are fun sir. Thats it.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I haven't really followed any Assassin's Creed games since over a decade.

Where does the story go now? Last I remembered it was pretty much a rip off of Zechariah Sitchin's theories about ancient alien astronauts and how they supposedly genetically created humans.

I mean they take some of his books like Genesis Revisited verbatim.

Last edited:

Neofire

Now I see why the dominant society are up in arms about this game. It has a brotha as one of the protagonist. I was thinking it was because of maybe the gameplay or the recycled features like the other AC's but nope it's the a black dude in a video game set in Japan 🤦🏿‍♂️

nbkicker

A no go for me, its a ubisoft game, people should no by now it gonna be full of agendas and diveristy, then again most games and movies are

I haven't really followed any Assassin's Creed games since over a decade.

Where does the story go now? Last I remembered it was pretty much a rip off of Zechariah Sitchin's theories about ancient alien astronauts and how they supposedly genetically created humans.

I mean they take some of his books like Genesis Revisited verbatim.
i would tell you, I was so into Origins and Odyssey but Valhalla just took the will out of me finishing it. All I know is Loki is a major player/villain/anti-hero of the series now.

Roufianos

I don't think is worth anything more than a sigh at best but Ubisoft has been doing this a while.

Us Greeks were absolutely shafted with Cleopatra and Ptolemy portrayed as basically Sri Lankans in Origins.

Not to mention the random super dark skinned NPCs you would find in Odyssey. Greeks are somewhat swarthy, no doubt, but not to that level and they had more of them than fairer skinned people, who form a huge part of the Greek population.

Race is just an obsession for Ubisoft.

Last edited:

Stafford

Can motherfuckers at least keep the same energy? Where was the hate for this?

0qPtquR.jpeg

Anime of Yasuke, in fact I'm gonna put this on my to watch list. It's by Mappa.

- He was a boss fight in Nioh and as we all know, the game was made by Team Ninja based in Japan. He was voiced by Richie Campbell.

- Koei Tecmo's 2021 video game Samurai Warriors 5 includes Yasuke as a playable character, voiced by Paddy Ryan.

- A black samurai inspired by Yasuke, named Nagoriyuki, appears in Arc System Works' 2021 fighting game Guilty Gear Strive.

- Lionsgate was making a movie about him starring the late Chadwick Boseman.

And we can go on! Japan clearly is very ok with it, in fact they did it way before Ubi did. This situation is hilarious and embarrassing.

Last edited:

Majormaxxx

Can motherfuckers at least keep the same energy? Where was the hate for this?

0qPtquR.jpeg

Anime of Yasuke, in fact I'm gonna put this on my to watch list. It's by Mappa.

- He was a boss fight in Nioh and as we all know, the game was made by Team Ninja based in Japan. He was voiced by Richie Campbell.

- Koei Tecmo's 2021 video game Samurai Warriors 5 includes Yasuke as a playable character, voiced by Paddy Ryan.

- A black samurai inspired by Yasuke, named Nagoriyuki, appears in Arc System Works' 2021 fighting game Guilty Gear Strive.

- Lionsgate was making a movie about him starring the late Chadwick Boseman.

And we can go on! Japan clearly is very ok with it, in fact they did it way before Ubi did. This situation is hilarious and embarrassing.
we don't hate Yasuke, we hate ubi agenda. This was done on purpose to follow DEI plan.

there is a freaking difference. Your post insinuates people are just racists.

and Japan is not ok with it - just read the youtube comments.

Stafford

we don't hate Yasuke, we hate ubi agenda. This was done on purpose to follow DEI plan.

there is a freaking difference. Your post insinuates people are just racists.

and Japan is not ok with it - just read the youtube comments.

Unless there is no agenda? Look, I hate forced "woke" shit as much as anyone, but perhaps there is no agenda here? I'm not insinuating a damn thing. That being said, I've seen some takes on Twitter that ARE downright racist, and quite fucking extreme at that too.

Let's just wait and see, for all we know they tell a really cool story here.

Hero_Select

I am cautiously optimistic about the game. Probably the first time I've been interested in an Assassins Creed game since Odyssey. I really dont care about all the "black samurai in Japan" hubbub but it really does shine a light on the hypocrisy. Especially in the other place.

AssCreed is okay
Resident Evil 5 is not

why? all the reasons i've seen are just.. stupid.

Last edited:

Majormaxxx

I am cautiously optimistic about the game. Probably the first time I've been interested in an Assassins Creed game since Odyssey. I really dont care about all the "black samurai in Japan" hubbub but it really does shine a light on the hypocrisy. Especially in the other place.

AssCreed is okay
Resident Evil 5 is not

why? all the reasons i've seen are just.. stupid.
Origins was extremely well done as well in my opinion.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
And I also want to say that I have great respect for black and African people. I have read several books by Mr. Obama, the former US President, and books by Mrs. Toni Morrison... I also enjoy watching films featuring Black actors such as Denzel Washington and Don Cheadle.... I have great admiration for actor Morgan Freeman; he is like an uncle to me.
This is the single greatest post on GAF in 10+ years. LMFAO. Thank you

200w.gif

Arsic

I haven't played Origins but I want to get around to it at some point. Egypt is such a cool location and it being closer to the gameplay of Odyssey is a bonus, Mirage I didn't really like.
Origins is more like mirage than it is odyssey to be honest.

Valhalla is closer to odyssey but odyssey is just a better game in every aspect of that formula.

Majormaxxx

I haven't played Origins but I want to get around to it at some point. Egypt is such a cool location and it being closer to the gameplay of Odyssey is a bonus, Mirage I didn't really like.
Origin is beautiful, the protagonist is extremely cool and likeable. Seriously the voice actor is ace. If you care about Egypt, you'll like it. It's longish however. Get it on a digital sale for peanuts and enjoy!

Arsic

Origin is beautiful, the protagonist is extremely cool and likeable. Seriously the voice actor is ace. If you care about Egypt, you'll like it. It's longish however. Get it on a digital sale for peanuts and enjoy!
Yeah origins is a slight bit under odyssey for me but only by a hair. I loved origin start to finish.

Hero_Select

Origins is more like mirage than it is odyssey to be honest.

Valhalla is closer to odyssey but odyssey is just a better game in every aspect of that formula.
Oh I was under the impression it had similar combat. I bought Valhalla day 1 when the new consoles came out. It was okay. I remember wishing it took place entirely on Nordic lands instead of going to England immediately.

Oh yeah thats the primary reason I want to play it. It's a perfect setting and Egypt is goddamn beautiful.

I guess I really don't know why I skipped it.

After Assassins Creed 3 I lost a lot of interest in the series, especially with the lame "present day" sections, I'm glad the games have been moving more and more away from it.

Venom Snake

Ah yes, Asians in Asia are not that interesting, so this one and only black dude in Japan at that time had to have enough charisma to become the main character of the game, which, as i remember, AC fans had been asking for for many years. IGN won't fool me with this, it's just another checkbox game which stinks of Sweet Baby Inc from a mile away. There are dozens of interesting characters and stories from feudal Japan, but what a coincidence that this one took the spotlight above everything else.

It's not that people are disappointed that writers made this particular decision, people are disappointed because it's so predictable.
In times when aggressive, irritating activists try to forcefully influence creative processes, such things will be discouraging to a large group of people.

Maybe ten years ago such a choice would have been considered unconventional, interesting even. But not today, and all thanks to those who allegedly promote diversity in media (allegedly, because they achieved the exact opposite).

This must be a frustrating testimony of their own incompetence, because all they can do is accuse people of being "mad", when in fact it's something fundamentally different. This is a separate topic for discussion, reliable journalism should be able to put itself on both sides of the argument, these idiots prefer to lecture us instead, suspect of bad intentions, so they can fuck off.

As for the game: i'm not buying it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom