• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed Shadows Requires Online Connection for Installation and Playing

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Update 2:

Ubisoft are backtracking on the mandatory online connection requirement for playing the game (still required to install)

Update:

The game requires an online connection at all times to play, it seems. Not just for installation.

dx6FahF.jpeg

6584017_sd.png;maxHeight=2000;maxWidth=2000

Last edited:

Skifi28

Gold Member
Where does one get this "internet" should he be interested in the game?

Asking for a friend, obviously.

On the plus side my ISP sent me an email saying they are giving me a 100Mb upgrade for free. I went from 400 to 500 out of the goodness of their hearts.

//DEVIL//

It’s amazing how these companies are racing to be the most hated companies in the world AND pissing people off till they get owned with all negative day one reviews

Then they come like a bitch crying about low sales.

I swear, I am ready for the market to collapse. I want it to, we need to start from zero and all these guys in management to get fired and start selling hotdogs at Costco

adamsapple

Disappointment after disappointment with Ubisoft this year. I'll make sure to get this one used since it's an always online title.

adamsapple adamsapple you need to edit your OP and headline with this new info.

done and requested title update to:

done and requested title update to:

Thanks! I'm so fucking done with them. Really disappointed with this one as I was excited to play an AC set in Japan. Oh well... now I'll just wait and pick it up used some months after it releases as I expect for my local FB marketplace to be filled with AC copies.

Edit: I think the online requirement might be related to that AC Infinity Live Service Hub that Insider Gaming reported a while back.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Bro...who cares? It's 2024, gamer's seemingly create mountains out of mole hills.

The persistent online connection required to play a single player game seems like a notable thing.

Last edited:

Puscifer

Bro...who cares? It's 2024, gamer's seemingly create mountains out of mole hills.
I mean I get it to an extent but this type of shit is happening in different industries because we're at a point that capitalist don't know how to innovate let alone read the room in terms of economics.

Leasing instead of owning

Car companies charging monthly fees to use key fobs and features that are thousands of dollars and 1 change of code of featureEnabled = 1 away from working. What if Subaru, the company in your avatar, decided to start doing shit like that?

Irreparable or near impossible to repair cars, appliances and electronics, some of these even requiring internet to function

Most software is a subscription service instead of a completed projects

Loss of physical ownership in media is growing, music is basically streaming only unless you get vinyl, a format that died for a reason, movies have become speciality purchases from online stores

I dunno man, I guess all this is kinda crazy to me that in my lifetime I've watched the idea of ownership erode

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Even Granblue Fantasy Relink let you play offline and that series was started as mobile game.

And mobile developers like Shift Up made Stellar Blade that can be played completely offline.
I think when it comes to Ubisoft the company basically says their games have to have these predatory practices. Other devs such as Ghostship, Cygames basically have full control over what they can do and can decide whether or not if a game needs to be online or not. And include accessibility options that makes them optional.

So ideally if the online component is required to update the season passes or weekly/daily activities or just the cash shop(hah P2W in single player game lol) there should be an option to turn it on or off.

But this just leads back to the Ubisoft exec saying get used to not owning your games. Which if the game won't function if it isn't online they can pull the game at any time.

When it comes to stuff like Granblue, Stellar Blade these are more the exception to the rule then the norm for AAA scene.

Granblue is amazing for being the anti gacha game. And ironically it is not live service and gamers actually wish it was because the game is fun.

LordCBH

Man I cant stand that "A Ubisoft Original" bullshit

Yeah that tagline just looks so fucking stupid. “A Ubisoft Original” great! I almost bought the Activision Assassin’s Creed game but then noticed it didn’t say A Ubisoft Original!”

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Yeah that tagline just looks so fucking stupid. “A Ubisoft Original” great! I almost bought the Activision Assassin’s Creed game but then noticed it didn’t say A Ubisoft Original!”

And you know they're aping off of the "A Netflix Original" crap which makes it even more douche chilling. As soon as that tagline started appearing over the titles is when they really went to shit imo

ProtoByte

Can people please raise a stink about this the same way they did about Helldivers? Worse, even?

Even Accursed Farms' Stop Killing Games push seems focused on the wrong things to me. No shit, multiplayer games won't be kept up forever. Single player shit that can easily be played offline? Where's the mass outrage over this?

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Not surprising, just don't give them your money that's it.

Does it require an Ubi account to play on PC? . . . waiting to see that same energy
You won't see the same energy because the account linking will be working day one and you'll never access the game without login in. As opposed to Helldivers were you suddenly need an account to play while people were accessing the game without issue.

Not surprising, just don't give them your money that's it.

You won't see the same energy because the account linking will be working day one and you'll never access the game without login in. As opposed to Helldivers were you suddenly need an account to play while people were accessing the game without issue.
I get it, but their "principled" stance isn't, it needs to be there at launch . . . it's anti 3rd party logins.

Top Bottom