• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed Shadows Requires Online Connection for Installation and Playing

RoadHazard

Gold Member
its a trap

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Damn, I want to know if that guy made it.

killing game preservation
No one is going to rely on straight blu-ray rips to preserve games. Any future PS5 games played on an emulator or simulating hardware will be digital copies fully patched.

Get used to not owning your games
Digital copies are "not owning your games". Disc copies, even if requiring a download to install, are what give you the practical effects of ownership. The ability to sell or lend your disc is not negated by the fact that you need to download the game files.

a worthless disc.
It isn't worthless at all. In fact, all the value is stored in the game disc as a key. You can take this disc and sell, trade, or gift it, and the new owner will have access to the full game. The disc could literally have zero game data on it and still be more valuable than any copy bought digitally, as it is essentially a physical key to unlock a digital version.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Digital copies are "not owning your games". Disc copies, even if requiring a download to install, are what give you the practical effects of ownership. The ability to sell or lend your disc is not negated by the fact that you need to download the game files

I have a nice sized library of DRM free games that I own.

Loaning games isn’t a big bullet point when I can share my entire digital library. I don’t even need to waste gas meeting the person.

Last edited:
Bro...who cares? It's 2024, gamer's seemingly create mountains out of mole hills.
fridge wont open--no internet detected, so cant watch mandatory ads
toilet wont flush--need to re-link my waste mgmt account to my water company account
go to drive car--oops, ran out of BMW Bucks and i need to confirm my current credit card info
put gun to head and pull trigger--need to complete mandatory verbal consent questionnaire first

Kataploom

Gold Member
Oh, but I was told in GAF that digital is the future. That's why I'm staying on phys-- Oh wait, this is not the thread for this I guess... /jk

BTW, I thought this was case for years already? I don't play Ubi games so IDK anymore.

Oh, but I was told in GAF that digital is the future. That's why I'm staying on phys-- Oh wait, this is not the thread for this I guess... /jk

BTW, I thought this was case for years already? I don't play Ubi games so IDK anymore.
Not really, only their live service games require an always online connection, like The Division 2 and The Crew Motorfest, but for these you're also required to have a PS+ subscription since multiplayer is core component of these games.

For this specific game, it probably requires a persistent connection, presumably due to its integration into the Live Service Infinity Hub that Insider Gaming reported on a while back.

The past two Assassin's Creed games, Valhalla and Mirage, work fine offline after installing them. It also states on their respective PSN pages that online access (used for the in-game store and Ubi Connect crap) is optional.

OSQ8QMO.png

eocU2e0.png

Embearded

Man I cant stand that "A Ubisoft Original" bullshit :sick:

This aint original. It's another samurai/feudal japan game to throw onto the pile.

Also, can we start taking bets on what else they'll add to this in the year of our lord, 2024

5lKiCVh.jpeg

How does the sexual orientation of a random dev make the game better or worse, i will never understand.

who gives a shit what kind of genitals you want to lick. Do these people mention their sexual orientation when they introduce themselves?

21 words to describe something completely irrelevant to the game.
6 words for something relevant.
i'd much rather prefer if they used the rest of the 21 to tell us which parts are fiction and which are historically accurate.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
How does the sexual orientation of a random dev make the game better or worse, i will never understand.

who gives a shit what kind of genitals you want to lick. Do these people mention their sexual orientation when they introduce themselves?

21 words to describe something completely irrelevant to the game.
6 words for something relevant.
i'd much rather prefer if they used the rest of the 21 to tell us which parts are fiction and which are historically accurate.
It helps during the Company " happy holidays" orgy.

Puscifer

Thanks! I'm so fucking done with them. Really disappointed with this one as I was excited to play an AC set in Japan. Oh well... now I'll just wait and pick it up used some months after it releases as I expect for my local FB marketplace to be filled with AC copies.

Edit: I think the online requirement might be related to that AC Infinity Live Service Hub that Insider Gaming reported a while back.

Mod delete, accidently submitted

Last edited:

sendit

I mean I get it to an extent but this type of shit is happening in different industries because we're at a point that capitalist don't know how to innovate let alone read the room in terms of economics.

Leasing instead of owning

Car companies charging monthly fees to use key fobs and features that are thousands of dollars and 1 change of code of featureEnabled = 1 away from working. What if Subaru, the company in your avatar, decided to start doing shit like that?

Irreparable or near impossible to repair cars, appliances and electronics, some of these even requiring internet to function

Most software is a subscription service instead of a completed projects

Loss of physical ownership in media is growing, music is basically streaming only unless you get vinyl, a format that died for a reason, movies have become speciality purchases from online stores

I dunno man, I guess all this is kinda crazy to me that in my lifetime I've watched the idea of ownership erode
Read the room? Every point you brought up is literally industries reading the room. People favor convience over pseudo ownership of a physical medium.

fridge wont open--no internet detected, so cant watch mandatory ads
toilet wont flush--need to re-link my waste mgmt account to my water company account
go to drive car--oops, ran out of BMW Bucks and i need to confirm my current credit card info
put gun to head and pull trigger--need to complete mandatory verbal consent questionnaire first
We live in a data driven connected world. If those are your worries, feel free live out of society. Like the Amish.

Last edited:

Puscifer

Read the room? Every point you brought up is literally industries reading the room. People favor convience over pseudo ownership of a physical medium.

We live in a data driven connected world. If those are your worries, feel free live out of society. Like the Amish.
Then do it to digital owners, not physical. And don't feed me that crap, companies kill off and force changes all the time.

Headphone jack? Oh who needs those, yet all these manufacturers are making a killing seeking dongles.

Digital ownership of movies started happening with streaming services and pack ins, it was fine when it was a couple, now to you need about 3-4 to get from you used to get from one. Combine that with an internet bill and turns out it's a cable bill all over again so the same companies are now getting paid continuously when they used to have to work for it, largely selling you stuff you've seen already and could've likely bought once and owned forever.

Last edited:

Bojji

basically killing game preservation

They are the leaders here after The Crew shutdown.

Fucking morons, they don't know how to make good AC game anymore (Valhalla was bad, Mirage - mediocre) and now they are pulling this shit. Fuck you ubi.

Laptop1991

This is what Ubisoft did with AC 2 on PC when it came out, accusing us of all being pirates lol, i didn't buy the game until about 10 years later, only cost about a fiver, i will do the same again, they never learn!

Last edited:

Shin-Ra

No no NO! Ubisoft wouldn’t take down the online services required to play or possibly just install the game.

simpatico

Can people please raise a stink about this the same way they did about Helldivers? Worse, even?

Even Accursed Farms' Stop Killing Games push seems focused on the wrong things to me. No shit, multiplayer games won't be kept up forever. Single player shit that can easily be played offline? Where's the mass outrage over this?
People like Helldivers tho. This AC is a lolcow through and through.

They know it's going to sell gangbusters so they can get away it.

I really hate this practice. What's the value for me?

It's their last throw of the dice though. Assassins Creed is Ubisoft only remaining cash cow after they've fucked the other IP's 5 ways to Sunday.

One would think they'd tread carefully but unsure how this will turn out. It may piss off a considerable amount of their userbase. Could be even worse for them if Ghost Of Tushima 2 is announced and going up against this.

Last edited:
So the pirates will get the superior version.

Nice one ubisoft, fucking hell.
Tbh, it probably cannot be pirated if it has online DRM baked in, since hackers might need to emulate UBI online services to even have a chance to make it work. IIRC, Diablo 3 which is an always online game on PC has yet to be pirated. But overall I agree, Ubisoft has been such a constant embarrassment of a company for years now.

Last edited:
I will forgive this if game is actually worth playing.

Will do so on their subscription service so immaterial to me. Am fine not adding it to my digital library as long as its on a big pubs subscription service.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
For example maybe in 10 years later FROM decide shutdown servers for Elden Ring….but thanks to having option to play completely offline you can still play and enjoy the game but with online only games they became nothing more than paper weight you can’t even sell because they litatraly have become unplayable…..so your only choice is throw it in to trash like a dirty napkin.

It would be little more understandable in online focus games but in Single Player games, it makes zero sense.

Last edited:

Saiyan-Rox

Discs have been pointless for years now and an all digital age is coming

As much as it really sucks especially price wise and jobs wise it is going to happen.

Larxia

I'm sure we are all dying to play The Crew.
What... kind of argument is that. If it applies to The Crew, it can apply to any game. I guess you're someone who only play the most recent stuff and never look back, but plenty of people like to revisit old games every now and then, and it's a shame when they are lost forever.
Steep is probably the next on the list for Ubisoft, and it's sad because that game, despite issues, had a great atmosphere, I could imagine myself wanting to launch it again in a few years just to free roam a bit, and not being able to.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The thing about all this is:

How many of you are still going to buy this predatory shit anyway?

They keep getting away with it, because gamers keep letting them.

Last edited:
Hardly a fan of the practice to make internet integral of a game. It should be optional with some benefits included (ubisoft's cross platform save stuff and afaik free cloud save is actually pretty nice), but there is no reason why an AC game actually should require online. You might miss out on a day one patch fixing some huge bugs, but the game should anyway be shipped in a state where there are no (common) game breaking bugs.

Won't buy it anyway since the series is just always okayish but never good enough to actually have a desire to buy it, just renting it via Plus will be enough.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

Ubi-Soft is either trolling or way ahead of the digital age curve. Sometimes I wonder if they have been paid to push boundries for other companies, just to see what companies can get away with. They come across as a greedy out of touch company though.

How will People without internet know that this game will require internet? Don't they need the internet to find out?

Confused Rooster Teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter

Most gamers have access to the internet. The problem is Ubisoft is trying to force it on a Single Player game. They don't even say why they need to be always connected on consoles? There's no problem of piracy on consoles.

Man I cant stand that "A Ubisoft Original" bullshit :sick:

This aint original. It's another samurai/feudal japan game to throw onto the pile.

Also, can we start taking bets on what else they'll add to this in the year of our lord, 2024

5lKiCVh.jpeg

Be ready for lots of crap.

$70 Single player live service. Fuck Ubisoft.

It's not a LS but a Single Player but Ubisoft being Poopisoft. Forcing it on a SP game.

Top Bottom