• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed Shadows Requires Online Connection for Installation and Playing

Larivel

So:
- 3 days early access with gold and ultimate edition
- Some quests locked behind season-pass
- Skill points in ultimate edition
- Online + ubisoft account required

All of this in a single player game... holy fuck ubisoft

KungFucius

King Snowflake
The persistent online connection required to play a single player game seems like a notable thing.
I is. Don't listen to microtransaction apologists. Always online games always have technical issues that prevent people from playing. Diablo 4 did this last year during launch week. In that case I was trying to play local couch coop but couldn't until the day after because the downtime ate into the only time I could game that day.

Sonik

You people have no vision, Ubisoft is making all the wrong choices which makes it a possibility that Assassin's Creed bombs which will result in Ubisoft imploding. And maybe, just maybe, one of the 3 blights of gaming will finally be over or restructure into a decent company. This all is a great thing, please Ubisoft, please give us more anti-consumer or dumb bullshit

Last edited:

Bojji

I don't think they backtracked. They just clarified what it means. That it requires an online connection to install the game.

Yeah I think it was about game data missing on the disc. Game is super large and they cheap out on multiple discs.

At least with this approach game disc has worth, it works until console makers servers are active (PS3 still patch games after 18 years) and can be sold etc.

It's bad but could have been worse.

I don't think they backtracked. They just clarified what it means. That it requires an online connection to install the game.
Yeah, maybe it was yet another one of their 'clerical errors' (specifically talking about the always online requirement for playing the game), but in general I just can no longer give Ubisoft the benefit of the doubt due to all the fuckery they've pulled in the past couple of years.

That said, they were quick to update the PSN listing, and the 'online play required' mention was replaced with 'online play optional'.

4qPwfmy.png

Last edited:

SleepMachine

Neo Member
Yeah I think it was about game data missing on the disc. Game is super large and they cheap out on multiple discs.

At least with this approach game disc has worth, it works until console makers servers are active (PS3 still patch games after 18 years) and can be sold etc.

It's bad but could have been worse.
That's assuming that we only need to connect to PSN during installation, for downloading data. What if the installation process requires a working connection to Ubisofts servers? I wouldn't put that past them. That server won't be functioning for 18 years.

Bojji

That's assuming that we only need to connect to PSN during installation, for downloading data. What if the installation process requires a working connection to Ubisofts servers? I wouldn't put that past them. That server won't be functioning for 18 years.

Yep, we can't be 100% sure about that right now.

makaveli60

Does multiple discs really cost that much for such a big company? I mean, CDPR could do it, Sony could do it, Rockstar Games could do it. But it’s not possible for Ubi to make sure their game will be playable offline even if there will be no servers in the future? Sorry, you still won’t get full price for this.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Man I cant stand that "A Ubisoft Original" bullshit :sick:

This aint original. It's another samurai/feudal japan game to throw onto the pile.

Also, can we start taking bets on what else they'll add to this in the year of our lord, 2024

5lKiCVh.jpeg
Only a team who cares more about politics would make a male samurai lead a black guy. Oh well, too bad for all you Japanese guys want to play as a Japanese samurai. But you can play as Samurai Shaq.

Shin-Ra

Requiring internet to install still breaks the game if you don’t already have it installed.

The game has both an expiry date when online services are shut down and a broken state from day 0 when anyone’s internet link is down.

“I’ll just remember to leave all my Ubisoft games installed on my precious SSD space!” Hopefully Ubisoft are competent and all the Uplay/Connect ‘feature’ hooks don’t break the game.

Top Bottom