• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate Review Thread

TheJoRu

Here's the problem with numbering scales for me. IGN gave the broken piece of trash Unity a 7.8 while giving this one an 8.2. But then you read this from their Verdict:

Black Flag is terrific. But according to your score, you're saying Syndicate is only slightly better than Unity. I'll wait to see GAF complain about it. I'd like to play this game but I'm not going by reviews after Unity.

A quick glance at the IGN Unity review shows that the two games were reviewed by different people with differing opinions.

I was wondering how they got their hands on the PC version, since it's not due until November. Google Tfanslator doesn't say which version they did review, though.

The PS4 version. They mention that they will update the review in November with PC impressions.

Mattenth

I was wondering how they got their hands on the PC version, since it's not due until November. Google Tfanslator doesn't say which version they did review, though.

From our embargo reporters, some publications did receive a PC copy but there are some stipulations about reviewing it (if I understood correctly). Might just be getting them the copy early and being told wait for a patch?

I'm surprised Burns didn't welcome a more light weight story. I've not played the series a lot but it seems a bit too up its own arse at times. His review makes a good case for seeing the game as digital tourism, if nothing else.

jesu

Here's the problem with numbering scales for me. IGN gave the broken piece of trash Unity a 7.8 while giving this one an 8.2. But then you read this from their Verdict:

Black Flag is terrific. But according to your score, you're saying Syndicate is only slightly better than Unity. I'll wait to see GAF complain about it. I'd like to play this game but I'm not going by reviews after Unity.

Different reviewer, different opinion.

iNvid02

unusually divisive, looking forward to that quick look. And yeah it's unlikely anyone was going off an unpatched version, ubi would be shouting about it from the rooftops to get those two day one updates

Can't believe how some outlets can give this a 9. That's bordering on dishonest, seriously WTF?
are you dense or what, get a grip lol

Tizoc

Scores are all over the place, though from what I've gathered, the game is fine if you want the usual Ubi Open World stuff right?

Hasney

Scores are all over the place, though from what I've gathered, the game is fine if you want the usual Ubi Open World stuff right?

Barring some bugs (but not as bad as Unity), that's what it sounds like. If you want more of the same types of missions and collectables in every inch like every year but in a new setting, it's sounding pretty safe.

bfrye26

Neo Member
Here are some more:

Games Beat 7.5
The storyline itself takes too long to wind up and feels a little milquetoast compared to the grand drama of previous installments. Syndicate is a good, solid game, one of the better in the series recently when it comes to its mechanics, with some nice surprises...It just contains a little too much filler, both in story and in side missions, to be truly great.

CGMagazine 7.5
There is promise, but it wasn’t quite executed to its full potential. This is a series that would benefit greatly if it strayed away from the yearly instalment model to really refine every aspect of the franchise. This was a chance to right the ship, but Ubisoft really didn’t do a lot to make this game stand out. Assassin’s Creed Syndicate suffers from clunky gameplay and a paper-thin plot filled with flat characters.

Bod

Neo Member
Definitely getting this when it hits pc. I think Victorian London is going to be amazing to just explore.

Fliesen

I wouldn't mind another "Ubisoft-Game" (open world, collecting stuff, unlocking towers, conquering outposts / zones) for the cold months until christmas, to just turn off my brain, listen to podcasts and kill some dudes.

If the mechanics are reasonably tight, there's no tacked on Multiplayer and there's plenty of mindless collecting to satisfy my completionist desires, i see myself giving this game a shot, even if it's just a 75 on Metacritic.

Dying Light is a 74 and i thoroughly enjoyed it for what it was.

Bodom78

Finished unity a few months back, enjoyed it but burnt out so I will pick this up in a year or so when its patched up and cheap.

oti

Banned
Sounds all good to me. I enjoyed Unity as well so this is must play for me now. Interested in the Giant Bomb QL although I don't really take their opinion on AC to heart.

Mendrox

I was wondering how they got their hands on the PC version, since it's not due until November. Google Translator doesn't say which version they did review, though.

It's said that it is only the Xbox One and PS4 version. They will rereview the game when the game releases on PC.

R&R

Well then - opinions?

Well, I feel this AC is very average. Very few changes, graphically it is a bit worse than Unity, missions are quite samey and boring. Story is ok I guess, nothing amazing. Combat is very repetitive and especially since there is very little enemy variety (like in all AC's but this feels somehow worse). UI is also worse than ever with the annoying circle around your character all the time (luckily you can adjust the HUD).

Jank is very bad in my opinion, maybe movement is little bit better than Unity but miles away from MGS5 for example. The "batman" hook helps a bit but it doesn't work as well as you would hope (not on Batman AK level).

The new base mechanism is nice. City itself is really amazing. Characters especially Evie is quite interesting. Historical figures are ok too...maybe a bit forced though.

All in all, I would give it a 6/10. If you are a London buff and enjoy history in general, I guess just the freeroam in historical London would elevate it to 7/10.

But a 9...never.

Rosur

Surprised its reviewing so well thought it would be mostly 7's. I'll pick this up in a sale once I finally get round to playing through 3 and black flag.

Bollocks

Rough translation

PROS
The atmosphere of the city
Work on music
Evie and Jacob, a nice duo
An open world rich
Very pretty passages ...

CONS
... And many passages cracks
Lazy Scenario
The grapple
Shopping carriages
Bugs ...
Uh, where is the multi?
But people still buy it a lot *sigh*

lol french magazine getting all french salty because syndicate is the better game and is set in London and not in glorious Paris like unity

Top Bottom