• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins's Creed PS4 is now 1080p with AA.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Wouldn't they be into some legal troubles for advertising the game as 1080p native and then releasing a patch to make that happen?

When did they advertise it as 1080p native?
The package? I hope you aren't one of those people who thought all of their 360 and PS3 games were rendered at 1080p.

lantus

Yeah there is definitely a noticeable improvement in the graphics, I especially notice it in the water when sailing, it looks so good!

Cess007

For those who can't tell the difference, maybe these small GIFs will help:

ida3SiBBNX23X.gif

ibmkI64oTG1Xbt.gif

iTgfydPMk0xvA.gif

ibtoNgg6IyAzsn.gif

To me the difference is rather dramatic.

Damn. Good thing i waited for the 1080patch.

Are these gif's 720p vs 1080 or 900 vs 1080...

I've never really payed much attention in the past but this is noticeable...probably my only serious hesitation with getting the weaker console.

This is undeniable and significant difference. Just wondering how much better the 900p is.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I restarted my game, since I only got past the initial Abstergo intro sequence when I first booted it up, and the resolution bump was immediately apparent (as you would expect from a +44% increase in rendered pixels). This is a damn nice looking game. Very sharp and clean.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Are these gif's 720p vs 1080 or 900 vs 1080...

I've never really payed much attention in the past but this is noticeable...probably my only serious hesitation with getting the weaker console.

This is undeniable and significant difference. Just wondering how much better the 900p is.

The AC4 gifs are 900p vs 1080p. CoD is 720p vs 1080p.

Fredrik

However there have been people on this board that says they have perfect eye sight but still say there is no difference...
My problem is neither eye problems or console bias though, I'm just sitting too far away from my TV. I'm thinking that many others might have that oroblem too. A 46" TV and the sofa 4 meters away. Not a good idea. :p I tried moving closer and at 1 meter the difference between 720p and 1080p was very noticable. Especially if there were jaggies too. At 1.5 meters it could probably be seen too, if you know what to look for, but one poster told me that 1.8 meters was my theoretical maximum range with that TV so I can't move back much more than that. I haven't looked into it but I'm guessing that 4 meters distance between TV and sofa would take a TV twice the size or something like that. :/ The upside is that jaggies usually don't bother me either though.

Ocaso

Booting up the game today for the first time, playing the first mission through pre-patch, and then restarting post-patch really hammered home the impact an increase in resolution has. Though I'd be lying if I said the game was an ugly mess pre-patch, the increase in clarity that full 1080p brought was refreshing.

Conezays

Wow, so the patch definitely helped things but the biggest jump for me in graphics was doing my firmware patch for my Bravia TV. Game looks fantastic. The firmware update helped the aliasing on the text and all the textures. Stoked!

Sean*O

Finally patched and ran this last night and was pretty well impressed at what the system was doing. I have one of those 120hz interpolation sets so the locked 30 FPS plays very nicely with it to give the appearence of a 60+fps game (although with the strange artifacts you get with interpolation at times.)

It's an amazing looking game, sharp and very good AA.

nasos_333

Great gifs. All this talk about 1080p not being that much better than 720 or 900 is just nonsense perpetuated by legally blind people.

The gifs are low quality and zoom in the picture

The fact is that i cant see the "huge" difference in the pics below, if i was presented either one on my HDTV i would never know or notice one is 900p

A side by side on actual HDTVs would make it even harder to see the already tiny difference in crispeness

1080p is a tiny little bit crisper, that is so far from "huge" or "infinite" as our planet is to the center of the galaxy imo

And when i play a game i usually see the whole picture, i do not have some form of selective zoom vision that see one tiny portion zoomed like the gifs above, so how are those gifs indicative of what i will see on my HDTV ?

ib1IkmOJcJeQat.jpg

i46YCSNlsUdXA.jpg

Zoggy

The gifs are low quality and zoom in the picture

The fact is that i cant see the "huge" difference in the pics below, if i was presented either one on my HDTV i would never know or notice one is 900p

A side by side on actual HDTVs would make it even harder to see the already tiny difference in crispeness

1080p is a tiny little bit crisper, that is so far from "huge" or "infinite" as our planet is to the center of the galaxy imo
]

i've never been a guy who hangs over framerate and resolution, but i can easily tell the difference between your two pictures, its definitely a noticeable difference to me.

nasos_333

i've never been a guy who hangs over framerate and resolution, but i can easily tell the difference between your two pictures, its definitely a noticeable difference to me.

On a PC screen yes, on a HDTV i wouldnt be able to tell

Also it is strange that the letters are also more blurry in the 900p one

Balboa

You need to consider that people have different size TV's and sit at varying distances from said TV, that's the main reason why people can't see a difference. Staring at screenshots on the internet isn't the same thing.

pa22word

For extra comparisons sake, here's a shot running at 4k downscaled to 1080p:

ac4jzikp.png

Can you tell the difference between this and the 1080p native shot? I can.

nasos_333

You need to consider that people have different size TV's and sit at varying distances from said TV, that's the main reason why people can't see a difference. Staring at screenshots on the internet isn't the same thing.

It is also that watching the small detail on a PC screen is totally different than playing it ona a HDTV

Thrakier

I can't even imagine how far you need to sit away to not see the difference between a scaled and a native image. Be aware that most of the comparison charts only show from which distance you would be able to distinguish 720p from 1080p. I can imagine having a problem with that for sure if I'm far enough. But that is not what we are talking about. We are talking about distinguishing a native 1:1 picture from a scaled image. And that is very easy, even across a room. The difference in image quality is enormous.

TheExodu5

Banned
Wow, so the patch definitely helped things but the biggest jump for me in graphics was doing my firmware patch for my Bravia TV. Game looks fantastic. The firmware update helped the aliasing on the text and all the textures. Stoked!

Since I am very familiar with the Bravia issue you were experiencing...yes that would make quite a difference, lol. Prior to the firmware patch, the Bravia looked like it was rendering at 640*480 with zero anti-aliasing.

Dinosur

When did they advertise it as 1080p native?
The package? I hope you aren't one of those people who thought all of their 360 and PS3 games were rendered at 1080p.

Go check out any of the dlc in the Store. Each entry contains more legalese asterisk text about how you need a 1080p television to display the 1080p game than is spent actually telling you what the download contains.

Why are you guys whining again... It's like if your PC game suddently got upped from 1 280 × 720 to 1920×1080 and people are all "Yadda Yadda, bad Ubisoft and their patching the game to full potential.

The game has been out for a few days and there's a patch that gives it a much higher resolution while retaining the framerate... So just enjoy it. In the meanwhile, the PC version of AC4 gives me 15 FPS on 1366xSomething with everything set on low... So enjoy the PS4 version and stop whining about unfinished products when the PC version didn't even boot till a few days ago (drivers didn't support my video card , so it hanged at startup).

Conezays

Since I am very familiar with the Bravia issue you were experiencing...yes that would make quite a difference, lol. Prior to the firmware patch, the Bravia looked like it was rendering at 640*480 with zero anti-aliasing.

Haha, so you know my pain! I was sort of worried for awhile there...very glad the firmware update was relatively pain-free :)

GHG

For extra comparisons sake, here's a shot running at 4k downscaled to 1080p:

ac4jzikp.png

Can you tell the difference between this and the 1080p native shot? I can.

I'm sitting about 9 feet from a 42" 1080p HDTV. If I'm being honest I'm hard pressed to tell the difference between this shot and the native 1080p one.

I'm sure if I was sat at a PC monitor it would be a different story.

Thrakier

So IGN just posted this, and I... I just don't think it's right....

I'm not trying to start anything with this, but the video shows xboxone and PS4 side by side... and they look exactly the same to me....

What gives? I though the ps4 was 1080p, and the xbox one was 900p... yet they look the same...

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/11/22/assassins-creed-4-xbox-one-vs-ps4-graphics-comparison

It's pretty easy. In the interwebs the difference is barely visible cause of various reasons. At home, native on your 1080p tv, the difference is huge and clear as day. Just read the reactions in the asscreed thread.

So IGN just posted this, and I... I just don't think it's right....

I'm not trying to start anything with this, but the video shows xboxone and PS4 side by side... and they look exactly the same to me....

What gives? I though the ps4 was 1080p, and the xbox one was 900p... yet they look the same...

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/11/22/assassins-creed-4-xbox-one-vs-ps4-graphics-comparison

Pretty clear to me even in that video (which loses a lot of detail in compression). Just look at the ropes in the ships for instance, much bigger steps and contrast on the Xbox One side, and sometimes the rope even fully disappears.

You don't need to sit closer either. Everyone can see the difference between a scaled and a native video output.

I'm doing a blind test at a party this weekend to see how many people can tell 720p scaled versus 1080p native on a 42" screen from ten feet away. I'll post the results by Monday.

I want to call bullshit on those gifs... It looks a lot like photoshop sharpen and blur (gaussian) and some subtle image compression differences. That looks like it is more texture resolution then overall. They really legit?

Thrakier

I want to call bullshit on those gifs... It looks a lot like photoshop sharpen and blur (gaussian) and some subtle image compression differences. That looks like it is more texture resolution then overall. They really legit?

Of course they are. The difference is that big if not bigger.

And if someone claims they can't, how do you reckon that is? Lies, conspiracy?

Some of them are uneducated, they are just guessing that they wouldn't see it or they are connecting their console via RGB and just think they have HD. Or they playing in shop mode or whatever, I don't know.

And others did not even test it or check for it. They probably have some hidden agenda, using some math formula to demonstrate that something clearly visible can't be seen.

Top Bottom