• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins's Creed PS4 is now 1080p with AA.

The game is seriously breathtaking after the 1080p patch wow.

Glad consoles are finally catching up. AC games have always been stunning experiences on PC and other gamers have really been missing out. Makes a big difference to your gameplaying experience.

Hoo-doo

Banned
It's evident to me in stills.

Can this kind of difference still be appreciated in motion or is less apparent?

Not everything in videogames is constantly in motion.

Can you appreciate the finer details on the fabric of the clothes of the main character? Of course. Can you appreciate the crispness of the vegetation while it sways in the wind? Of course.

sono

This is great news.

ida3SiBBNX23X.gif

Not sure exactly what I am looking for here, but I know I am enjoying it

Mr Moose

This game looks fantastic at 1080p, I am thinking of getting it, but I was let down by Assassin's Creed: Revelations, that game was boring and crappy, how does this one fare? Is this game actually good? (I didn't bother with AC:3).

ufo8mycat

Makes a big difference to your gameplaying experience.

It really depends on the person to be honest.

For some people, it makes a difference as some are more sensitive to graphic fidelity, so any improvement helps.

Others, the difference does not impact their gameplay experience one bit, simply due to them being less sensitive

And then you got others who will not even notice it at all, simply because it's not something they look out for and are too focused on playing and having fun with the game.

Thrakier

For some people, it makes a difference as some are more sensitive to graphic fidelity, so any improvement helps.

Others, the difference does not impact their gameplay experience one bit, simply due to them being less sensitive

And then you got others who will not even notice it at all, simply because it's not something they look out for and are too focused on playing and having fun with the game.

Resolution is NOT about graphical fidelty, it's about image quality.

Sure, but I fully admit I'm a bit shallow. If a game looks really purty I'm more inclined to enjoy it. Especially something like AC which is all about the feel of existing in the open world. Though good visuals obviously doesn't hide poor or boring gameplay. Crysis 3, for example, looked awesome but just wasn't enjoyable.

whether you notice or not, it's going to make at least a minor difference to gameplay. ships and characters in the distance will be easier to make out in 1080p than 900p. fractionally yes, but it's sort of like how people who have no idea what 60 fps is still seem to 'feel' something different about 60 fps games.

to people saying you have to see them 'side by side' to spot the difference... yeah... no. I could tell as soon as I first loaded AC4 that it wasn't display at my TV's native display last week, and I could tell as soon as I loaded it yesterday that it now was. it's the 'native' part that really makes it obvious.

levitan

I am going to pick this game up when I get my PS4 this coming February. A month of this and Battlefield, then Infamous, and wait for Destiny!

Derrick01

Banned
Currently this is the best looking game on the PS4, wow. Simply breathtaking.

You should play Knack for an actual good looking game. I haven't played Killzone yet but I'm assuming it looks amazing too.

This game looks like a low res last generation game that had 1080p slapped on. I wouldn't say it's completely ugly but....ok yeah it's pretty ugly.

coldfoot

Banned
If it's 720p, there are gonna be some serious meltdowns. Look at the 900p/1080p comparisons, 720p---->1080p would be even crazier.
Looking at Ubisoft's comments, XB1 is 900p, and the same AA in the PS4 version will be patched in.

Ubisoft said:
That’s because the game, as shipped, is being rendered on next-gen at a resolution that’s very close to 1080p (900p, if you’re curious), and the upscaling process barely adjusts the image.
Ubisoft said:
The team then used the time between the ship date and the release to focus on a title update that could deliver native 1080p resolution on the PS4.
So PS4: 900p before patch, 1080p+AA after
Xbone: 900p before patch, 900p+AA after

nib95

Banned
OT (different game - Ghost but someone here want to see) but to see how much for 720p vs 1080p

Shame about white border, it coming from AnandTech.

Now it is native 1080p on AC PS4.

720p is just no....not for a next gen system. I'm sorry Xbox One, but it's not acceptable. I hope Deep Down is given a resolution boost, because I'd rather 30fps in a game like that over 720p.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Would you guys recommend playing ACIII or just skipping it for AC4?

There's no reason to play AC3. This takes place decades before it.

Pfffff, not everyone has the luxury of 20/20 vision.

Obviously if you have some sort of problems with your eyes, you are excluded from that statement. However there have been people on this board that says they have perfect eye sight but still say there is no difference...

I've never bought an AC game before. This will be my first it looks fantastic! Those 1080p shots look incredible. Like high end PC incredible.

x-Lundz-x

I am almost done with AC3. A LOT of people here told me to skip it. I'm glad I didn't. I'm enjoying the hell out of it. It's kind of a glitchfest, but the game has many improvements and the naval battles are outstanding.

I will admit the assassins guild missions were garbage and it seemed like that part of the game was completely forgotten about compared to the prior games. That is my one big complaint about the game. Some people say it has a 10 hour tutorial before the game feels like assassins creed, I found that to be highly exaggerated.

Play it.

Derrick01

Banned
No thanks.

Or watch a video of it, whatever. My point was there's a large graphical difference between that and a game like this with last gen textures and character models that were ported over to next gen.

Plus I think the typical AC aesthetic hurts it too. I've never been a big fan of it, it always looks like there's at least a little bit of a vaseline filter turned on that makes the game look a bit blurry and washed out. It's not as bad in parts of this (mostly the island areas) but I've noticed in Havana it's very noticeable.

Jesus, man. Skip it. I've played every AC and ACIII I stopped about 10 or so hours in. It's just that bad. None of the side missions (besides sailing) were fun, I didn't like the main character, it just ... was not good. Unless you really like the time period you may enjoy it more than others. But I didn't like the main character nor many of the main missions (that I played).

ACIV has a lot in its favor. First of all, the framerate is a lot more consistent, so the game is more enjoyable. The locale is 100% better and the sailing (if you like it) is awesome as a travelling dynamic and upgrading your ship is just fun.

ACII and Brotherhood are my favorites, followed by Revelations and III and I are tied for last place. ACIV is easily my new favorite.

Or watch a video of it, whatever. My point was there's a large graphical difference between that and a game like this with last gen textures and character models that were ported over to next gen.

Plus I think the typical AC aesthetic hurts it too. I've never been a big fan of it, it always looks like there's at least a little bit of a vaseline filter turned on that makes the game look a bit blurry and washed out. It's not as bad in parts of this (mostly the island areas) but I've noticed in Havana it's very noticeable.

I played the demo. Maybe it was a badly calibrated TV or just a really boring level, but it was a lifeless bore. The PS3 Ratchet games felt more alive and were more aesthetically pleasing. Knack probably has more polygons on the character, but that game is a dud and I'd take ACIV's visuals and gameplay (including all those 'terrible' textures) over Knack any day of the week.

I'm still going to GameFly it for the kid though, so maybe I just never got to see the amazing visual masterpiece that is Knack.

My visual "pleasure level" of the games I've played/owned/seen in person in order from best to not as best:

Killzone
ACIV
NBA 2K14
Knack

lucius

So this update just downloaded in the Background right, is there anyway to check what version games are running or what was updated on PS4?

XTERC

I'm pretty certain remote play looks better since this upgrade. I'm guessing it is due to the fact the 1080P native resolution divides easily to the 540 resolution of the Vita.

Skilletor

Yeah, I don't get people saying this is the best looking game on the console. Maybe it's just the environments, but I think the past AC games have looked better. Generic jungle settings and shanty towns aren't as impressive as Italy and Rome.

Maybe just an artistic thing.

Killzone definitely looks leagues above this, though. As it should, since AC4 is coming out on every platform under the sun.

Gammacide

The difference the patch makes is incredible. I honestly cannot believe that compact little black box (PS4) is pushing out something this gorgeous and smooth. Sailing around the Caribbean has only looked better in person. The tech behind the ocean is just astounding. Add to that storms and naval battles and water spouts and rogue waves and you have an extremely exciting time with no fps drops or screen tearing at all. Gorgeous gorgeous game.

And for those who don't know already, I HATED AC3. The setting was great at first but the gameplay was such a mess that finishing it was never an option for me. THIS AC on the other hand, is SO much fun. Even if you don't like the typical AC stuff, these is an absolute ton of stuff to do and most of it is much more fun than anything in AC3.

Snookie

I actually made a video with the ps4 on Friday with the beginning of AC4 pre-patch. Unfortunately it shares to facebook and i'm not sure how to share the video without everyone seeing my facebook.

Looking at Ubisoft's comments, XB1 is 900p, and the same AA in the PS4 version will be patched in.

So PS4: 900p before patch, 1080p+AA after
Xbone: 900p before patch, 900p+AA after

The thing I don't get is they were saying the resolution was better on the PS4 when the PS4 was in 900p? Does that imply what I don't want to believe it is states about the Xbone's resolution?

introduced my girlfriend to AC4 last night, game looked awesome at 900p. have yet to play it since updating.

If you played last night it was prob. post patch already.

I actually made a video with the ps4 on Friday with the beginning of AC4 pre-patch. Unfortunately it shares to facebook and i'm not sure how to share the video without everyone seeing my facebook.

http://en.savefrom.net/

however, the videos that get uploaded are 720p and quite compressed, so you're not going to see much difference.

The thing I don't get is they were saying the resolution was better on the PS4 when the PS4 was in 900p? Does that imply what I don't want to believe it is states about the Xbone's resolution?

better than last gen.

that's the inference I got from it anyway.

Thats what that patch was for yesterday?

I didnt feel like waiting to play so I installed it when I was done before I put my PS4 to bed. Unless I just so happened to turn the console one shortly after the patch "released"

Isn't the PS4 supposed to download this stuff on its own if its in standby mode? All my settings seem to be correct to make this happen.

Top Bottom