• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins's Creed PS4 is now 1080p with AA.

Krisprolls

Banned
Or maybe just, you know, they didn't get it done in time to press and ship discs.

Yeah sure... It happens strangely only on PS4 and on every game. Every dev magically finds out he can up the resolution on PS4 one day after reviews and release. How convenient. It's completely unlikely that it happened both on CoD and on AC4, and that they somehow both "forgot" to tell the reviewers. Give me a break.

We'll see if the same happens on Xbox One. I highly suspect it won't.

Begaria

Man, so many conflicting feelings. On one hand, I feel that a game should ship as advertised, the back of the box says it's 1080p, but it's not unless you get a patch. On the other hand, it's nice to see a developer being forthcoming on actually telling us this kind of information.

daman824

The fact that cod ran at 1080p in ps4 multi while 720p xb1 multi blows a hole through any parity argument. If they wanted parity, they would have made the whole game 720p. The fact that the most played mode + the mode that almost every review focuses on and cares about is running at 1080p shows it was an optimization issue.

Also, Ubisoft is to Sony what Activision is to MS. Every piece of ac4 marketing doesn't even mention the xb1 or 360. They also only show games at sony press conferences and release a side campaign on sony platforms that will never get released on the xbox. Ubisoft would be the last publisher to force parity. To a casual observer, ac4 isn't even coming out on xbox. They never show that version, they don't advertise that version, and they barely talk about that version.

Instead of creating some parity conspiracy, I'm just going to go with not enough time to optimize the code for the final hardware before they had to go gold.

Yeah sure. But it happens strangely only on PS4 and on every game. Every dev magically finds out he can up the resolution on PS4 one day after reviews and release. How convenient.

We'll see if the same happens on Xbox One. I highly suspect it won't.

So what your saying is, youd rather they leave the res at 900p on both consoles instead of increasing it if theyre able to on the more powerful one? that makes sense

REV 09

What the FUCK is even the reason for doing this?
Resolutiongate??

Seems like devs are going to want to hit those hard numbers now. We may see sacrifices in graphical features like AO or AA instead of lowering resolutions. People seem to understand 900p vs 1080p better than if a game uses ssao vs hbao or fxaa vs msaa.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Man, so many conflicting feelings. On one hand, I feel that a game should ship as advertised, the back of the box says it's 1080p, but it's not unless you get a patch. On the other hand, it's nice to see a developer being forthcoming on actually telling us this kind of information.
Game boxes from last generation have never indicated native resolution. They only display the supported output resolution (which means upscaling).

EGM1966

Acceptable for launch titles IMHO - I'd rather they add it rather than ignore it post release (be it resolution or frame rate improvements).

But if this continues too long it'll be plain annoying.

On another note this is sure to fuel the parity conspiracy fire.

LCfiner

I know that nothing at console launch should surprise me but these resolution patches still do.

I doubt we'll see too many more of them but it is still weird to see more than one happen now.

Sean*O

You rarely ever get major visual/performance changes in patches for current gen stuff.

Exactly, that is the issue. How all of a sudden did they just discover that much extra horsepower when this sort of resolution and AA patching has never happened before on consoles? At least not to my knowledge.

At least they are fixing it, that is most welcome.

antitrop

They propably use FXAA, witch Blur everything.. ;( Hope there's SMAA witch is way better

FXAA and SMAA aren't "new" forms of anti aliasing, but it may just be a custom-designed variation of one of those. Someone else mentioned a temporal aliasing solution, which would make sense.

Or maybe they're just full of shit and trying to make it sound better than it really is, which wouldn't surprise me either.

Finalizer

Hmm, I wonder if this has to do with the initial push to hit parity? Perhaps now that other games have demonstrated a resolution difference they feel more comfortable implementing 1080p?

I had heard that they were having issues with the game on Xbox One and were considering dropping both to 900p for parity reasons.

With all these developers working quietly on their launch games I'm sure there was a lot of discussion on how important it was to match the two versions to eliminate any advantage.

Huh, I would've just chalked it up to lollaunchgaems, but I guess with this there may have been more to the whole parity scare after all. At least if it is true, it's getting squashed quickly out the gate.

When PSN is gone in a decade from now, consoles with title patches installed will end up being in demand.

In a decade from now, you'll have Assassin's Creed 4K HD Collections to choose from anyway.

Reallink

MS's mandate says pubs have to SHIP games with resolution parity, but doesn't say anything about post-release patches.

Don't really know anything, just being a smartass.

mjc

Are people seriously considering a "parity" agreement between devs and MS/Sony? These games are cross-gen. There's gonna be bugs to work out making them look good on next gen consoles. It's always been this way for cross-gen launch games. Take the tin foil hat off.

daman824

Exactly, that is the issue. How all of a sudden did they just discover that much extra horsepower when this sort of resolution and AA patching has never happened before on consoles? At least not to my knowledge.

At least they are fixing it, that is most welcome.
When did the development of the game start? And when did Ubisoft know what the final hardware specs of each machine was going to be? Then consider the fact that the game is coming out on 6 different platforms and you might see why the game is 900p at launch

I really want to see a side-by-side comparison between ACIV on PS3 and PS4 when that title update is available. It already looked like a pretty impressive upgrade, but an extra 180p and AA should be just some more icing on that cake.

Arcteryx

industry gold standard

seinfeld-gifs-had-enoqjczd.gif

farisr

So what your saying is, youd rather they leave the res at 900p on both consoles instead of increasing it if theyre able to on the more powerful one? that makes sense

I think Kris is approaching it from a conspiracy angle or some weirdass shenanigans going on behind the scene rather than saying upping the res on the more powerful one is bad.

You know, like all that MS demands parity stuff that goes around every now and then.

I personally think, unless this keeps on happening even a year after launch, this can probably just be chalked up to these being launch games and devs still getting used to the hardware.

Been harping on this for years, the moment the consoles went online one of the main advantages of console gaming was thrown out of the window.

'we'll finish it later'

available shortly after release
Surely if it's actually shortly after release they'd have a more specific date than "shortly"? What are we talking about here? Weeks? Decades?

This anti-aliasing technique will be available for both PS4 and Xbox One.
PC not getting this supposedly more efficient AA technique?

Krisprolls

Banned

No, absolutely not. I say they conveniently decided they had to achieve parity for reviews even if it meant slaughtering PS4 version. Publishers want to make both console makers happy, that I can certainly understand.

See, everybody is happy. PS4 users get the real resolution with a patch, and MS is happy too since they get a (false) partity and reviewers don't mention the difference.

Still, it's shitty, because you lie to the gamers. Don't tell me both CoD devs and AC4 devs "forgot" to mention there would a day 1 patch to the reviewers. It just doesn't make sense.

mattp

Except for the whole patching resolution part. This has now happened twice with two different studios. Something stinks...

When is this patch supposed to be available

how is that any different? its not like there's 2 kinds of patches. one for resolution and one for everythign else

they're patching the game, probably with a bunch of performance increases, so theyre bumping the resolution because they can now

Skeff

He's saying that it is odd that the games are reviewed and then the stronger console has it's resolution increased, The implication is that he thinks the resolutions had parity when shipped to avoid rustling MS's jimmies.

It sounds really far fetched, but...this is the only game it's happening on.

obauma

Neo Member
So basically next gen reviews of ac4 and to some extent cod were made at resolution parity.

Explains why most reviews noted that next gen versions look very similar.

I don't find the optimization argument very plausible, but we'll probably never know...

Curufinwe

Hmm. Anyone else beginning to think CoD and this being dropped to same resolution as XB1 was to give the appearance of equality while the media was reviewing and comparing versions?

I don't think anyone in the media has played a review copy of AC4 on Xbone.

All the reviews were of the PS4 version.

Sean

Banned
MS's mandate says pubs have to SHIP games with resolution parity, but doesn't say anything about post-release patches.

Source?

BF4 and CoD (multiplayer) both shipped at higher resolutions on PS4. I doubt there is any mandate like this.

Knuf

My guess, nobody expected PS4 launching in 2013.

What the FUCK is even the reason for doing this?

The most likely explanation for all this weird situation can be inferred from all those rumours floating around and is kind of obvious, if you think about it.
Development teams quickly had a running PS4 version which they were more than happy with.
They then started the Xbone port, discovering a ton of problems with architecture and tools, and for the last few months they have been been struggling to get a playable Xbone version of their games.
When they succeeded in this task or gave up because it was becoming clear that the Xbone version could not reach parity, they got back to optimize the PS4 build: problem is game was already went gold, hence those day 1 patches.

There is something honestly incredibly shady about this resolution increase patch guff. Its not like the PS4 internals suddenly changed gigantically in the last half a year. Were third parties really going to try and promote "totally similar" Xbone and PS4 versions but are now taking heed of the wind change?

Just even the idea of just being able to patch a resolution bump as obviously possible and going to happen rings a ton of alarm bells.

My Money is on a bug in the latest firmware the screwed up the internal rendering of some games. Assassins Creed probably can render at 720p, 900p and 1080p but a last minute bug set the rendering to 900p.that why it can be patched to its highest setting.

just a theory.

Mr Moose

“If it’s running at 720p vs 1080p, you’re going to notice the difference, by far,”

And I was told 720p was the new 1080p!

Edit: Also "Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag on the PlayStation 4 is the first Assassin’s Creed game to be rendered in true native 1080p" Confirmed not 1080p on Xbox One?

Krisprolls

Banned
He's saying that it is odd that the games are reviewed and then the stronger console has it's resolution increased, The implication is that he thinks the resolutions had parity when shipped to avoid rustling MS's jimmies.

It sounds really far fetched, but...this is the only game it's happening on.

It already happened twice and it's the only explanation when you think about it.

Devs don't "suddenly find out" they can up the resolution of their game just one day after reviews, they had to know it before. But hey, they forgot to tell the reviewers. Seriously...

Top Bottom