• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins's Creed PS4 is now 1080p with AA.

Vashetti

Banned
Seems like patches are a trojan horse DRM.

You can buy and play the game, but to get the best experience you need an internet connection to patch it.

No, absolutely not. I say they conveniently decided they had to achieve parity for reviews even if it meant slaughtering PS4 version. Publishers want to make both console makers happy, that I can certainly understand.

See, everybody is happy. PS4 users get the real resolution with a patch, and MS is happy too since they get a (false) partity and reviewers don't mention the difference.

Still, it's shitty, because you lie to the gamers. Don't tell me both CoD devs and AC4 devs "forgot" to mention there would a day 1 patch to the reviewers. It just doesn't make sense.

Possibly the dumbest thing I've read all morning... How is it BF4 has such a difference in resolution according to your parity?

daman824

No, absolutely not. I say they conveniently decided they had to achieve parity for reviews even if it meant slaughtering PS4 version. Publishers want to make both console makers happy, that I can certainly understand.

See, everybody is happy. PS4 users get the real resolution with a patch, and MS is happy too since they get a (false) partity and reviewers don't mention the difference.

Still, it's shitty, because you lie to the gamers. Don't tell me both CoD devs and AC4 devs "forgot" to mention there would a day 1 patch to the reviewers. It just doesn't make sense.
Ubisoft forced parity? The company that tried its hardest to make everyone forget that the game is coming out on xbox platforms forced parity? I don't even think they sent out xb1 review copies.

Are you a developer of any sorts? Or a programmer on mass produced items? If you were you would know that schedules often times take priority over 100% completed optimized code. They had to press and ship discs, and if the 1080p code wasnt ready in time for their production effort to begin, it is going to get whatever finalized version of the code they have available.

This is why I stay away from boards in general, some of the theories people come up with are absurd

Skeff

Seems like patches are a trojan horse DRM.

You can buy and play the game, but to get the best experience you need an internet connection to patch it.

Not really, Patches have always been available to pirated games and they don't distinguish between new and used copies for patches either.

antitrop

They could make it run at 30fps and 10808p on Xbox One if they wanted. It's running at 720p on current gen consoles, the gap isn't too huge.

Sure they could, but they would have to start dropping effects that the PS4 can run in 1080p. More likely they'll just keep the graphical effects equal, and use the resolution to achieve framerate parity between the two differently-powered systems.

Tablo

Well this is unusual, I've not seen something quite like this loll!
The game looks really good even on 360 so I can't wait to see more next gen footage, will get it on PC, hopefully my 670 can run it pretty high.

nib95

Banned
Very suspicious if you ask me. Sounds like the PS4 version could have easily been 1080p but was capped at 900p, the same resolution as the Xbox One version. I'm assuming comparisons will be done between the non updated 1080p version, so the XO version comes out looking better than it ordinarily would. Wonder what the reasoning is...

Krisprolls

Banned
Are you a developer of any sorts? Or a programmer on mass produced items? If you were you would know that schedules often times take priority over 100% completed optimized code. They had to press and ship discs, and if the 1080p code wasnt ready in time for their production effort to begin, it is going to get whatever finalized version of the code they have available.

This is why I stay away from boards in general, some of the theories people come up with are absurd

Ok so if you're right we'll see the same day one patches on CoD and AC4 and other games which will make the Xbox versions 1080p too. Don't hold your breath.

King_Moc

Banned
I'm assuming this is a cross-gen thing? They probably put most effort into the current gen versions, then had to leave some of the PS4 optimisation after it went gold in orer to still meet the launch. Nothing to see here, really. Sucks if you don;t have the internet though, i guess. Though it does seem unlikely that you'd have a PS4 and no internet.

daman824

ghost single player is getting patched from 720p to 1080p.

I have no idea about bf4. Maybe we need to make sure it running at 900p before people patch it.
But what about muti in cod ghosts? If his post was true then both single and multiplayer would be launched at resolution parity.

And all you have to do is look at the comparison shots from df to know that the ps4 version of bf4 is running at a higher resolution.

Cornbread78

MS's mandate says pubs have to SHIP games with resolution parity, but doesn't say anything about post-release patches.

Do we have this in writing? This is the question of the hour.....

EDIT, already clarified...
but that IS what everyone wants to know... Too much coincidence to be far off from the truth...

mjc

Christ almighty, some of you guys take things way too far. It literally sounds like the ravings of mad men.

mattp

What? You don't think NINE MONTHS is enough time? PS4/8GB GDDR5 was unveiled in February.

jesus christ the amount of ignorance in here is obnoxious

it's a launch game on 2 mostly unknown pieces of hardware. with unfinished tools that were constantly changing during development
also ps3/360/wiiu versions as well

they finished what they could to meet the deadline, and continued to work on some optimizations after going gold and now they're pushing a patch

everything isnt a fucking conspiracy or "lazy devs"

Ryoohki360

Neo Member
FXAA and SMAA aren't "new" forms of anti aliasing, but it may just be a custom-designed variation of one of those. Someone else mentioned a temporal aliasing solution, which would make sense.

Or maybe they're just full of shit and trying to make it sound better than it really is, which wouldn't surprise me either.

FXAA / SMAA don't use a lot of memory or performance. THey are not as good as MSAA but in a game with a LOT of foliage you can do 2 thing. Use FXAA/SMAA or do like FarCry 3 and mix it up.

IMho the advantage of SMAA is that there's a sharpening (light) filter applied a the end. Makes thing pop! It's nice where it's used (Crysis 3)..

I can't wait for cross-gen to die.

Hit the nail on the head. Once devs stop having to worry about PS360WiiU hardware limitations and wasting time on those hideous versions we shouldn't be seeing shit like this anymore. I hope.

But I'm definitely waiting till this patch is out before I even start the game. Shameless Ubi.

Curufinwe

Wait, so some people here are pissed that the game is being improved?

I think they're pissed it's not 1080p at launch because Ubisoft said the review copy was 1080p.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/10/30/assassins-creed-4-on-ps4-why-demand-a-next-gen-shrubbery/

I completed the entirety of Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag on a PlayStation 4, which brought several expected benefits over current consoles. Assassin's Creed 4 runs at a native resolution of 1080p (1920x1080), Ubisoft says

Cat Party

MS's mandate says pubs have to SHIP games with resolution parity, but doesn't say anything about post-release patches.
I hope no one believes this crap.

I think this story is actually a good thing. Launch games get rushed and performance suffers, but for at least a few, they are trying to fix the problems. Gamers benefit.

antitrop

FXAA / SMAA don't use a lot of memory or performance. THey are not as good as MSAA but in a game with a LOT of foliage you can do 2 thing. Use FXAA/SMAA or do like FarCry 3 and mix it up.

IMho the advantage of SMAA is that there's a sharpening (light) filter applied a the end. Makes thing pop! It's nice where it's used (Crysis 3)..

I was just saying about how the PR statement says they're using a "brand new" AA implementation. FXAA and SMAA aren't brand new, so I'm wondering what they've got cooked up.

Violater

The problem is not that they're "fixed", the problem is that they were broken on purpose before the reviews, then fixed.

How do you know this for a fact?
Also if the biggest problem people have with an Assassins Creed game is the missing 180 pixels and a few sharp edges then some re-evaluation is suggested.

daman824

The problem is not that they're "fixed", the problem is that they were broken on purpose before the reviews, then fixed.
Again, why would a publisher like Ubisoft force parity. They are Sonys activision. They never even talked about the xb1 version of the game. Nor did they ever advertise it. Not even once. Why would the force parity?

smh at some of these crazy conspiracies.

Uh are you making this up? I don't think what you are implying is legal for one. And two makes no sense. And if you aren't makign this up, source because that is a serious allegation.

Top Bottom