• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Escha & Logy confirmed for PS3

I hope it's nothing like Mana Khemia 2. I hated the dual hero system because I was playing through the same scenarios twice just with a different character. It seemed both short and (the second part) boring.

Ravage

The actual names seem to be

エスカ メーリエ
ロジックス フィクサリオ

And they're using Koei's Musou Engine instead of PhyreEngine (???!!!).

This seems...weird.

If this messes up another great thing about the Atelier series (the immaculate IQ) then T-K can really go fuck themselves.

I'm rather concerned about the IQ too :(

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
This seems...weird.

I'm rather concerned about the IQ too :(

Saw the scans and I have to say that they've made the game even prettier now. Seems one more step closer to looking like their art work, each time a new entry is release.

Rarutos

I hope it's nothing like Mana Khemia 2. I hated the dual hero system because I was playing through the same scenarios twice just with a different character. It seemed both short and (the second part) boring.
But... Mana-Khemia 2's scenarios were completely different aside from where the parties met and had to fight together (or against each other), and that was like... Twice until end game.

famfrit

Why Escha have only a tail ? A complete nekomimi needs cats ear too !!!!!!

Do want complete nekomimis in the game !!!!!!!

Anyway, i liked more the Escha characters design than Ayesha and a male protagonist is good too. To bad that the male designs from Ayesha looked so much better than this one, but i am fine with this Logy guy.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Dengeki Playstation Cover.

Covers are ok to post right?

BLsMTIu.jpg

OceanBlue

Dengeki Playstation Cover.

Covers are ok to post right?

Lol, they want you to notice Escha's tail. Also, this is the first time I've noticed the ship in the logo.

Glad to see more promo stuff coming out for the game. I need more!

Edit: Does this game have a website yet?

I like her outfit. But then again I like almost anything with frills.
Eska looks cool (not as nice as Ayesha, but still nice), but Logzzzzzz puts me to sleep.

Hopefully there will be some returning characters from Ayesha. I want a playable Fred and Kyle.

Ravage

Saw the scans and I have to say that they've made the game even prettier now. Seems one more step closer to looking like their art work, each time a new entry is release.

Kind of hard to tell with blurry scans, but yep it looks good so far.

The guy reminds me of Dante from DMC lol

OceanBlue

dat tail, lol

The game is looking really good. The graphics look smoother than Ayesha's and it looks to me as if they're using more ambient lighting (although I'm not too knowledgeable on graphics). Their faces are pretty static in all of the screenshots, but that might just be due to the screenshots themselves. It looks like they're introducing interesting subsystems to the memory mechanic, the field, and obviously the battle system. I guess it would be too much to expect the same bump from Rorona to Totori, but the game is looking very nice. So excited!

Edit: Also, maybe they realized that there was no way to keep track of requests in Ayesha. I see that the quests bar that was in Totori and Meruru is back.

Discorvery!

Durante

I don't really see it. Technically, it looks almost exactly on par with Meruru. Which is by no means a bad thing, it's the most beautiful JRPG not made by S-E in my opinion. Also, they still have probably the best anime-style 3D character modeling and rendering in anything ever.

Durante

I said Meruru, not Rorona. There is a massive jump from Rorona to Totori, a more minor step from that to Meruru, and from that point the tech is pretty much mature. The change from Meruru to Ayesha is primarily art, not tech.

I want to think that Gust's engineers are mostly working on their PS4 tech now :p

raven777

I said Meruru, not Rorona. There is a massive jump from Rorona to Totori, a more minor step from that to Meruru, and from that point the tech is pretty much mature. The change from Meruru to Ayesha is primarily art, not tech.

sorry, I wasn't posting in response to your post. I was just talking about the improvement in visuals of atelier games on this gen.

OceanBlue

Does GUST still have less than 20 people? I remember hearing something about the small staff they have back around Totori and Meruru, but I don't remember the exact number.

rykomatsu

I don't really see it. Technically, it looks almost exactly on par with Meruru. Which is by no means a bad thing, it's the most beautiful JRPG not made by S-E in my opinion. Also, they still have probably the best anime-style 3D character modeling and rendering in anything ever.

Well, the dynamic lighting change definitely creates a different atmosphere. I'm not sure I'd consider it better or worse, but while the texture quality seems to have gone down, the world doesn't feel as flat either.

escha_meruru_comparison.jpg

rykomatsu

seriously

from

to

on same hardware.

I think character modeling itself improved from AT3 to Rorona tbh quite a bit. How Rorona looks from an aesthetic perspective is questionable, but the technique/technology sure improved.

dat tail, lol
Their faces are pretty static in all of the screenshots, but that might just be due to the screenshots themselves.

Well, they're using the 3D models to do stuff like this instead of 2D art now...

Durante

Well, the dynamic lighting change definitely creates a different atmosphere. I'm not sure I'd consider it better or worse, but while the texture quality seems to have gone down, the world doesn't feel as flat either.

escha_meruru_comparison.jpg
Hmm, I don't think the texture quality has gone down much, the camera is just closer to the vegetation/structures in the new shot. Environment textures were never really the games' strong suit. The lighting difference in the shots you posted is stark, but it could just be because of the different time of day. I guess we'll have to wait for more shots/video to know for certain.

Edit: I just went through my 447 Meruru screenshots and I think you're right: environment texture quality is down a bit, environment lighting is up. It looks like a pretty good trade comparatively so far.

Of course, not every Meruru location is quite as flat as the shot you posted:

In completely unrelated news, I found this awesome sequence of shots, which I feel compelled to post:
2012-07-21_22-29-09adb8b.jpg

Coxy

I like Logy's design, it's like Vayne + Aoto, two of my favourite gust dudes

If I'm understanding the screenshots correctly it looks like the Grow Book and development/adventutrer system have been combined?

I guess it's a fairly natural step after Ayesha but still, awesome, the grow book was one of the best skill systems ever

Eusis

I want to think that Gust's engineers are mostly working on their PS4 tech now :p

Does GUST still have less than 20 people? I remember hearing something about the small staff they have back around Totori and Meruru, but I don't remember the exact number.
Combine those two and I think it's more likely either "shop around for engines that'd work well for them on PS4" or "relay to Tecmo Koei's engineers what they need for their games."

Durante

Combine those two and I think it's more likely either "shop around for engines that'd work well for them on PS4" or "relay to Tecmo Koei's engineers what they need for their games."
Of course, I wasn't implying that they are writing their own engine. But just taking an engine off the shelf doesn't give you a game, there's still engineering work to be done.

Oh, and honestly, looking at their respective output this generation, I hope they don't involve T-K too much :p

Eusis

Oh, and honestly, looking at their respective output this generation, I hope they don't involve T-K too much :p
Well, this certainly looks a lot nicer than I'd expect from an engine designed more about rendering lots and lots of shitty looking enemies at once, but maybe I underestimated the engine!

Though yeah, it should probably stick to engines.

Official site is up.

Some very nice BGM on it too. They got some stuff about the world, systems, characters (looks like MK2 system where each main character has their own party?), some screenshots already seen as well as one voice clip for the main characters.

Also looks like there'll be a premium box as usual.

First PV.

Not much new as the preview trailer, but we see that tail in motion.

A.E Suggs

Eska looks cool (not as nice as Ayesha, but still nice), but Logzzzzzz puts me to sleep.

Hopefully there will be some returning characters from Ayesha. I want a playable Fred and Kyle.

I agree gunloc, why can't I get some hot males leadsLike sterk) I need to appease both sides of my attraction. This guy isn't bad by he looks meh design wise. I agree that ayesha looks better than Eska but she still look good.

OceanBlue

Official site is up.

Some very nice BGM on it too. They got some stuff about the world, systems, characters (looks like MK2 system where each main character has their own party?), some screenshots already seen as well as one voice clip for the main characters.

First PV.

Very nice! The music sounds fantastic. Nothing on the level of Recollection Hill, but on average I like the four tracks here more than the tracks for the Ayesha website. The battle theme takes a bit to get going, but it's awesome.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Official site is up.

First PV.

Hype levels rising! :D

rykomatsu

I'm going to spoiler this entire thing since it might give some info (albeit minor) regarding Ayesha, particularly Keithgriff's storyline. Essentially, the story/background:

This is a world that's encountered "Dusk" a number of times, and is gradually coming to an end.
In this world, there is a kingdom far west of the World of Dusk (where Ayesha takes place) which flourished with Alchemy.
There, the people are driving efforts to develop and rediscover the lost knowledge of Alchemy to prevent the end-of-times.
This rediscovered lost-technology is gathered and studied in the alchemical research metropolis known as "Central" to prevent the progression of dusk
Our protagonists are a young man studying alchemy, assigned from "Central" and a young girl who lives in this small frontier town.

The girl's name is Escha.
Wanting to benefit people, while using ancient alchemical knowledge, she becomes assigned to "Central"'s development group.

The young man's name is Logy.
Stuyding the newest in alchemy in "Central", he requests to be transferred to the frontier where there is a resource shortage to make use of his skills and is assigned to the development group where he meets Escha
The two agree to work together using the knowledge of alchemistry to further progress the development group.

Whoever mentioned this being a play on Eschatology is completely right :)

The main points of each protagonist:

Escha: slice-of-life type scenario and more geared towards Atelier fans. More biased towards light hearted and relaxing events

Logy: World-view centric senario and more geared towards common RPG players. More biased towards serious events.

To drive home the point that the 2 scenarios are vastly different, they'll be implementing various differences between the 2, starting with partially different UIs as well with other aspects being investigated.

Looking forward to this entry. Ayesha, imho, did a great job setting up the world.

I'm going to spoiler this entire thing since it might give some info (albeit minor) regarding Ayesha, particularly Keithgriff's storyline. Essentially, the story/background:

This is a world that's encountered "Dusk" a number of times, and is gradually coming to an end.
In this world, there is a kingdom far west of the World of Dusk (where Ayesha takes place) which flourished with Alchemy.
There, the people are driving efforts to develop and rediscover the lost knowledge of Alchemy to prevent the end-of-times.
This rediscovered lost-technology is gathered and studied in the alchemical research metropolis known as "Central" to prevent the progression of dusk
Our protagonists are a young man studying alchemy, assigned from "Central" and a young girl who lives in this small frontier town.

The girl's name is Escha.
Wanting to benefit people, while using ancient alchemical knowledge, she becomes assigned to "Central"'s development group.

The young man's name is Logy.
Stuyding the newest in alchemy in "Central", he requests to be transferred to the frontier where there is a resource shortage to make use of his skills and is assigned to the development group where he meets Escha
The two agree to work together using the knowledge of alchemistry to further progress the development group.

Whoever mentioned this being a play on Eschatology is completely right :)

The main points of each protagonist:

Escha: slice-of-life type scenario and more geared towards Atelier fans. More biased towards light hearted and relaxing events

Logy: World-view centric senario and more geared towards common RPG players. More biased towards serious events.

To drive home the point that the 2 scenarios are vastly different, they'll be implementing various differences between the 2, starting with partially different UIs as well with other aspects being investigated.

Looking forward to this entry. Ayesha, imho, did a great job setting up the world.
All this sounds awesome.

Dengeki PlayStation this week introduces two new characters for Gust’s upcoming PlayStation 3 RPG Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemist of Dusk Sky. And you might already know one of them. Also shared are new system details and the game’s nine musical artists.

Characters

Wilbell voll Erslied (CV: Asami Seto) – 18 years old, 152 cm, Blood Type B. Returning from Atelier Ayesha, she is a young girl traveling from far and wide while training. With the help of a former friend she secured a contract with the wind spirit. Four years have passed and Wilbell has matured. Her outfit this time is a beige dress with stockings. She always has her broom and star-lined pointy hat.
Lucille Erunera (CV: Mariko Honda) – 14 years old, 145cm, Blood Type A. A junior to Escha and company who belongs to the development group from the central. She has medical knowledge. Her attire consists of a yellow jacket over a green dress. She carries a square bag and wears a yellow hat like a nurse cap. Does she also attack with medicine? (Like shots, etc.)
System

Synthesis
Esca and Logy handle different alchemy, so their systems have some differences, too.
A new “hidden power” was added, not an inscription, but manifested via points.
Collecting
Gathering points are glowing.
Introduction of an area where lava is flowing.
Artists

Chirinuruwowaka
Acrylis Tab
Annabel
Junka Amaoto
Itoukanako
Haruka Shimotsuki
Suginami Jidou Gasshoudan
Asako Nasu
Rurutia

Source

Not bad, I like the idea of the new systems.

Talaysen

Source

Not bad, I like the idea of the new systems.

Wilbell voll Erslied (CV: Asami Seto) – 18 years old, 152 cm, Blood Type B. Returning from Atelier Ayesha, she is a young girl traveling from far and wide while training. With the help of a former friend she secured a contract with the wind spirit. Four years have passed and Wilbell has matured. Her outfit this time is a beige dress with stockings. She always has her broom and star-lined pointy hat.

Yay!

Annabel
Itoukanako
Haruka Shimotsuki
Rurutia

Yay!!

Wait, Itou Kanako? Interesting...

Top Bottom