• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus Games' Hiraoka: Business to Continue as Before

Yes Boss!

SEGA isn't dumb. Their recent moves have been very calculated. I can imagine them putting some of their properties under the Atlus brand even. Phantasy Star, Shining and Yakuza come to mind.

That is actually very interesting. Leveraging the Atlus brand to buttress Sega properties. I'd like to see that.

TreIII

Well, good! Business as usual, then, hopefully.

The one thing I do wonder about though, perhaps pertains to Arc's Persona Arena series. Up to now, the series has been on Taito's NESiCA platform, but I could easily see a shift to Sega's AM-Net for future games in the series...

That is actually very interesting. Leveraging the Atlus brand to buttress Sega properties. I'd like to see that.

It's just speculation on my part of course but I can see it being beneficial in the long run. SEGA is pretty damn strong in the PC space but has lost its prestige among console gamers whereas Atlus are gods among Japanese gaming enthusiasts. Moving those franchises and maybe even the old Overworks peeps to Atlus might not be such a bad idea.

In 30 minutes at Sony's conference :p

One can only hope. Maybe we can finally bury platform discussions for good.

LuchaShaq

Banned
I'm assuming the worst till Persona 5 and other atlus games are released in the US in a timely manner or at all after JP releases.

I'm still worried. What Atlus makes feom games and localizations is not really what big publishers would call profits. I fear somewhere going forward, these profits won't be enough. Maybe it won't happen next year, but it could happen in the future.

the chris

iZjOUljlGuKY5.gif

Just keep giving me dem Persona games, also Nocturne on PSN.

WolvenOne

I kinda figured things would consider like normal, at least to one degree for another. I mean, I couldn't picture Sega purchasing Atlus just to remove them as competitors or anything like that. EA, sure, Activision, sure, but Sega doesn't have a history to suggest they would do this, nor are they really in that sort of position.

Now, things change in some way, shape, or form. Things would have changed regardless of who bought Atlus. That doesn't necessarily mean a lot though. Change can mean anything from, different supply chains, to disbanding studios, to a million things in between.

Chances are though, at lean in the short term, the changes will be on the more mundane end of the scale.

WolvenOne

I'm still worried. What Atlus makes feom games and localizations is not really what big publishers would call profits. I fear somewhere going forward, these profits won't be enough. Maybe it won't happen next year, but it could happen in the future.

Ehh, I'm not too worried in this respect. There are publishers like, Activision and Ubisoft, that rely on a small handful of uber-hits every year to keep themselves profitable, then you have publishers that instead try to have a large number of, "merely profitable," titles.

Looking at Sega's line-up and strategy these past few years, they seem to be following the later strategy, rather than the former. They certainly aren't chasing after CoD sized hits, but do seem intent on releasing a large number of profitable games.

If that's indeed their strategy, then there's no need for Sega to change anything at Atlus.

My main concern was and still remains the future of localization of Atlus' in house games including smaller series like EO or the potential of newer and riskier IP's.

kadotsu

Banned
As a European I was hoping for a publishing solution. Looks like it'll continue to suck (just like their backwards stance on dual audio).

I'm assuming the worst till Persona 5 and other atlus games are released in the US in a timely manner or at all after JP releases.

There is like near-zero chance this will negatively affect the timeframe or likelihood of Persona 5's US release in any way.

I'm still worried. What Atlus makes feom games and localizations is not really what big publishers would call profits.

It's not like they have to pay for the whole of Sega by themselves. The Atlus development and publishing arm is consistently profitable at a solid rate and will represent a decent line-item on Sega Sammy's overall balance sheet.

Based on Sega's last few acquisitions, there really is nothing to be worried about.
Well yeah they've bought western PC developers. Not Japanese publishers which have development studios under them. PSO2 should be a no-brainer for a US release and that's one of Sega's prized IPs. Therefore I have little faith in them doing a US release of the next Soul Hackers type game from Atlus, let alone the next Etrian Odyssey or Devil Summoner game.

boingball

Lol, clearly he has never been in a merger before.
Sega already indicated that they want to leverage the IPs for F2P and Pachinko.
Who will be developing this? Might be the Atlus employees.

Having said that: I am happy to be proven wrong.

I think it's sad people still aren't listening to it. Pessimism is a powerful thing, indeed.

People who play niche JRPGs are not exactly primed for optimism by the current state of the industry. A thick wall of pessimism dulls the pain of the inevitable lack of localisation for the stuff we wish to have. If things turn out well I'll be well pleased and continue buying stuff, but I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed yet again.

sörine

Banned
Lol, clearly he has never been in a merger before.
Sega already indicated that they want to leverage the IPs for F2P and Pachinko.
Who will be developing this? Might be the Atlus employees.

Having said that: I am happy to be proven wrong.
Atlus already has an arcade group. They make the Print Club machines, Inazuma Eleven Card arcade games and worked with Arc System Works on P4 Arena.

I'll trust you when we get EO5 ;______;

Oh god I've never been so scared, I don't even care when other companies die... but Atlus? you can't do this to me.

Sophia

Top Bottom